Current Page: 15 of 45
The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: February 23, 2007 07:41AM

I agree: good article. Okay, it's easy to get pissed off with the knowledge that 95%+ of the human race is IDIOTIC and LAZY (I just can't fiddle the numbers any better - maybe I should try and manifest better results).

But there is hope in the right circles. Some of us still value the results of hard work and careful planning. What's the option? Isn't it true that things we aquire too easily are discarded just as quickly?

My own pain is watching the human tide turn away from the value of reading. Yes, reading: the dying art of letting your brain cells dance over well-considered words and ideas. And I mean, good books that move you and help to shape your understanding of yourself and the world around you. From my point of view, a good book can be anything from Sendak's, [i:dfea0c0b93]Where The Wild Things Are[/i:dfea0c0b93]; Greene's, [i:dfea0c0b93]The Elegant Universe[/i:dfea0c0b93]; Martel's, [i:dfea0c0b93]Life Of Pi[/i:dfea0c0b93] ... really, too many to mention!

Oh, just put on another DVD. I'm tired.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: exImpact ()
Date: February 23, 2007 12:50PM

I hear this movie has become the next whore...se people in the Impact Trainings in Bluffdale UT are riding. It now joins such illustrious company as John Denver, The Buddha, WWII, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Archangel Michael, Quantum Theory ala What the Bleep, Mormonism, Indigo Children, The Matrix, Streisand, Sacred Geometry, Werner Von Brown, Mary Magdalene, Mount Shasta CA, Man of La Mancha, Field of Dreams and effing Yoda. GOD, I think UT puts something in the water.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Madshus ()
Date: February 24, 2007 01:57AM

Yo exImpact... you feeling alright? :wink:

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: February 24, 2007 02:37AM

exImpact, interesting list. Could you be more specific?

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: Kastlefeer ()
Date: February 24, 2007 03:45PM

The Anticult
Kastlefeer
As for my brother, I do not like the fact that he goes to the RS site but upon reflection perhaps he's the least likely fellow to suffer much harm there. For my mother I think things are much worse.

The Religious (anti)Science Treatments being done on him are hopefully not going to be directly physically harmful, as long as they are doing it the old fashioned way, which is just reading words, in a form of declarative prayer.
[rsintl.org]

Of course, hopefully he is getting proper medical care from doctors? You could speak with the RS practicioner, and make sure he is telling your mom to seek proper medical treatment from a doctor as well, and that if he isn't and something happens, you might hold him responsible..

Of course, many RS churches have been taken over by lots of whack-jobs, who are against "doctors" and all the rest of it.

there are fiduciary laws that force parents to seek medical care for their dependents in certain areas.

But its a drag that the New Thought maniacs have gotten a hold of your family. Once people get locked into the New Thought stuff, its very very difficult to come out of it.
Many get locked in for life.

I appreciate the concern, but do not worry. My family is in such a sad state that my brother is cared for by the government. He resides in a group home run by professional care, he visits on weekends. This is when my mom brings him to her church. If I had any say in things I'd take my brother to a movie every weekend.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: exImpact ()
Date: February 24, 2007 05:45PM

Jack Oskar Larm
exImpact, interesting list. Could you be more specific?
Madshus
Yo exImpact... you feeling alright? :wink:
:shock: I'm OK. Really. It's just another new-age piece of crapola to pile on the huge heap of things these groups twist and turn to propagandize, justify and verify their insane ideas. Impact however has claimed to be directly responsible for every good thing that has happened in this world for the last 25 years. Well, [i:3be9fa4e45]The Secret[/i:3be9fa4e45] is further "proof" of the validity of their Lift-Off training, this "calling forth" and "manifesting" crap is their bread-and-butter. The only people I ever knew that had success in that "training" had it before they even went in.

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: February 24, 2007 06:31PM

Its more than a little ironic that often those who go to Unity and RS, and places like that, have their heads in the clouds, and their feet in the shit. Perhaps they have stuck their heads in the clouds to escape that fact that their feet are in the shit and they can't get out.
When in reality the best thing most of them could do is take a good look at REALITY, and then try to handle that first the old fashioned way, by modifying behavior.

Also, these RS folks don't work for free. They generally accept a "donation" so they try to guilt the person into making a larger donation, as don't forget, the more you GIVE to RS, the more GOD is going to give you! That makes sense, eh? God is a big banker in the sky, give RS more money, and the Universe will give you even more back. Rather convenient.

Churches like RS Religious (anti)Science make bucketloads of tax-free money. Some of them are rolling in cash-money.
It never ceases to amaze, that which looks all pretty on the outside, can be so screwed up on the inside, like RS.
Also, I have heard that a lot of New Age flakey cult groups have infiltrated RS churches, and have basically taken them over, by stacking the boards, and putting their own people in.
I knew one guy that happened to, he complained, they kicked him out.

I am sure The Secret is the #1 book/video at all the RS places these days.

On a side note, I think Rhonda Byrne is very similar to Mary Baker Eddy from Christian (anti)Science. She also stole all her material, lied about her own healings, and was amazingly greedy,and loved to live the high-life. Someone was saying Rhonda Byrne had some new PR going with her in a fancy fur-coat. Someone said, "I wonder if the little seal babies attracted the clubs to kill them and turn them into Rhonda Byrne's new fur coat".

Bleach Blonde 'Greed Is Good' Rhonda Byrne...thanks to Oprah she has made millions as we speak.

Kastlefeer
I appreciate the concern, but do not worry. My family is in such a sad state that my brother is cared for by the government. He resides in a group home run by professional care, he visits on weekends. This is when my mom brings him to her church. If I had any say in things I'd take my brother to a movie every weekend.

The Secret (a movie)
Date: February 24, 2007 07:20PM

On the Rhonda Byrne MySpace, she says she is 37 (cough cough).
[www.myspace.com]

Female
37 years old
Western Australia
Australia
[img:3c1e64343a]http://a714.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/23/m_c77cf561e01b1b8969692c55309dd139.jpg[/img:3c1e64343a]
I wonder if some internet research could turn up her REAL age, as opposed to her Secret Age. (in the Secret, you can get YOUNGER EVERY YEAR if you BELIEVE it!)

ok, like I thought, I thought I saw somewhere that Rhonda Byrne is 55.
Is it possible she is even trying to fabricate her real age?
[img:3c1e64343a]http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/01/31/SECRET_narrowweb__300x369,0.jpg[/img:3c1e64343a]
[www.theage.com.au]

Melbourne-born creator Rhonda Byrne, 55, will appear on the Oprah Winfrey show later this month, having re-located to Los Angeles in preparation for the production of The Secret 2, which this time will be made with Hollywood backing.

There is some decent criticism of the Secret at Wikipedia. Here is some of it, as it may Vanish by Secret powers...
[en.wikipedia.org]

This film will appeal to people who want material wealth and happiness without having to invest time or energy - or put money at risk - to achieve them. Contrary to the producers' claims that it has become "the foundational philosophy of entrepreneurs", The Secret is quite the opposite of the entrepreneurial mindset. Entrepreneurs must know their market deeply, take significant financial risks and have contingency plans for all possible failure modes for their entrepreneurial undertaking.

Scientific Inaccuracy
The film's assertions that science supports the "Law of Attraction" are without merit. String theory - cited as supporting the "Law of Attraction" - is still deeply theoretical and no scientific evidence exists to suggest that our thoughts affect the "frequencies that we radiate into the world" or that "thoughts become things" by attracting "things radiating the same frequencies".

Editorial Coverage
Karin Klein, editorial writer for The LA Times, called The Secret "just a new spin on the very old (and decidedly not secret) The Power of Positive Thinking wedded to 'ask and you shall receive'". The editorial pointed out a few of the common criticisms of The Secret, characterizing the film as "another get rich quick chimera" and a recycling of "well-worn ideas of some self-help gurus" customized for "the profoundly lazy" and repackaged with "a veneer of mysticism." The editorial also gives published recognition to the much-discussed criticism that the film provides a dubious recipe for material greed, social apathy, and blaming the victim.[5]

Journalist Jeffrey Ressner, reporting in Time Magazine, writes that some critics are concerned with the film’s attitude towards "using ancient wisdom to acquire material goods". In one example in the film, "a kid who wants a red BMX bicycle cuts out a picture in a catalog, concentrates real hard, and is rewarded with the spiffy two-wheeler."[4]

Aggressive Marketing
Since the first release of the DVD, Esther Hicks declined to continue with the project, mentioning contractual issues in a letter to friends. While continuing to speak highly of the film, she acknowledges that "we have been very well paid for our participation with this project… which has amounted to a staggering amount of money". She goes on to say "Jerry and I were uncomfortable with what felt to us like a rather aggressive marketing campaign (just not our style, nothing wrong with it)... allowing them to edit us out was the path of least resistance."[6] As a result of this, scenes which Esther Hicks originally narrated are instead narrated by Lisa Nichols.

Unverifiable and Unsubstantiated Health Claims
ABC news referred to claims that the mind has power over our health as "perhaps the most controversial" in The Secret. They quote Michael Bernard Beckwith, founder of Agape International Spiritual Center, as saying: "I've seen kidneys regenerated. I've seen cancer dissolved," [7]

The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: February 25, 2007 04:08AM

On the Rhonda Byrne MySpace, she says she is 37 (cough cough).
[www.myspace.com]

Quote:
Female
37 years old
Western Australia
Australia

I wonder if some internet research could turn up her REAL age, as opposed to her Secret Age. (in the Secret, you can get YOUNGER EVERY YEAR if you BELIEVE it!)

ok, like I thought, I thought I saw somewhere that Rhonda Byrne is 55.
Is it possible she is even trying to fabricate her real age?

Whatever her age is, I'm thinking she has a few more years to go to find the secret to wisdom or true freedom.

The Secret (a movie)
Date: February 25, 2007 05:17AM

ON2 LF
Whatever her age is, I'm thinking she has a few more years to go to find the secret to wisdom or true freedom.

Its ironic that these internet hucksters market themselves as knowing the Truth of the Universe, when in fact they are literally dead wrong in every way, scientifically, philosophically, theologically, and they are also exercising very poor judgement in terms of common sense, and showing an utter lack of Wisdom. (except in terms of making fast-money now from gullible people).

It could be with Rhonda's age, that she is trying to do the New Thought Treatment for non-Aging. That is, you BELIEVE you are younger and your "cells regenerate" (more meaningless nonsense) and thus make you younger. Some of them go as far as to think that if you believed hard enough, you would become biologically immortal.

That scammer "Dr." Joe Vitale said in the Secret "you can get younger every year". (he's not a doctor, he got his diploma from some place for $50). The guy is a pure old-fashioned Huckster selling and using Hypnosis and whatever else he can pull out of his ass, and people buy it. I find it truly scary that people would take [b:89700c29b8]one word[/b:89700c29b8] this guy says seriously, unless it was [b:89700c29b8]"drinks on the house" or "bring on the hookers".[/b:89700c29b8]

Why doesn't he use the Miracle Secret to lose 100 lbs before he Attracts a heart attack?
[www.mrfire.com]

[img:89700c29b8]http://www.mrfire.com/final-images/photo-gallery/26.jpg[/img:89700c29b8]

[img:89700c29b8]http://www.mrfire.com/final-images/photo-gallery/joe-vitale-53-birthday.jpg[/img:89700c29b8]

[img:89700c29b8]http://www.mrfire.com/final-images/photo-gallery/thumbs/56.jpg[/img:89700c29b8]

Current Page: 15 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.