Landmark Columnist Writes Letter to Self
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: November 23, 2006 11:27PM

Check your PM ajinajan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elena ()
Date: November 24, 2006 12:18AM

...Reminiscent of Marcia Seligson's ~conversion~ from skeptic to believer in 1974. She initially thought the thing smelled like "Hitler and the 'jugen,' mass hypnosis, the Messiah, mystical cultism, Elmer Gantry, Charles Manson and his army of idolizing murder machines. It didn't seem just cuckoo, it seemed
goddamned dangerous." The brainwash affected her and she went on to write a glowing article in New Times and professed to "love" Werner Erhard.

Ellen

Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: November 24, 2006 12:56AM

Ahhh.... [b:d2a6e7b51c]Stockholm Syndrome Lite...[/b:d2a6e7b51c] It appears that rigid thinkers, and even more so that subgroup known as [b:d2a6e7b51c]concrete thinkers[/b:d2a6e7b51c] are particularly easy to "flip" .... where, by contrast, those equipped with elastic, ironic, multi-perspective thought processes... meaning those minds that aren't particularly susceptible to "leaps of faith".... find the Wernerite posturings more cretinous than compelling.

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: November 25, 2006 06:47AM

Ahhh.... Stockholm Syndrome Lite... It appears that rigid thinkers, and even more so that subgroup known as concrete thinkers are particularly easy to "flip" .... where, by contrast, those equipped with elastic, ironic, multi-perspective thought processes... meaning those minds that aren't particularly susceptible to "leaps of faith".... find the Wernerite posturings more cretinous than compelling.

Unfortunately, though I consider myself someone who has a mind not that susceptible to "leaps of faith", it took me a few years of being brainwashed, before I finally stumbled upon the Rick Ross Institute site, thank god, and the book, OUTRAGEOUS BETRAYAL, which helped to snap me out of it. Truly the best cure for curing brainwashing is more research, research, research, and knowledge. It's unfortunate that I did not do the research before going to The Forum.

At any rate, I hope that the publisher of Laura Marble's article , "Field Trips: Greetings from the Landmark Forum" - November 22, 2006
[www.explorernews.com]
will reprimand her for endorsing this controversial organization in their publication, and issue some sort of clarification explaining the for-profit company's very dubious history in their next publication.

Posted by: Maggie ()
Date: November 25, 2006 07:16AM

When people write over email, they assume privacy. That's why I don't feel comfortable posting the publisher's reply. I also wrote Ms. Marble herself, but have not heard back from her.

Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: November 25, 2006 10:22AM

What is the book "Outrageous Betrayal" about? If this is a book giving an honest portrayal of landmark, I want it! If its about the real story of landmark, I have a friend that needs to read it. Damage is already done to this friend but who knows maybe one day she'll get curious and brave enough to read something other than copyrighted "confidential" training manuals pumped out by the cult.

Posted by: Soggydog ()
Date: November 25, 2006 01:28PM

I think she is being sincerely insincere, i.e. tongue in cheek, satirical if you will. I think it's pretty funny.

Has anyone read her previous columns?[/color:5696df3118]

Posted by: Laura Marble ()
Date: November 25, 2006 01:41PM

Hi,

I'm Laura Marble, the one who wrote the column. I thought you might appreciate the chance to talk with me directly, as that's generally more illuminating than having to make inferences. I don't think you have me quite figured out, and that's interesting to me in an anthropological sort of way. I'd like to join in, if that's OK.

Laura

Posted by: elena ()
Date: November 25, 2006 11:34PM

Laura Marble
Hi,

I'm Laura Marble, the one who wrote the column. I thought you might appreciate the chance to talk with me directly, as that's generally more illuminating than having to make inferences. I don't think you have me quite figured out, and that's interesting to me in an anthropological sort of way. I'd like to join in, if that's OK.

Laura

Generally more illuminating but not always. Especially if you've taken up the tricks and tactics of the so-called Landmark "education." Which is it? Sincere or tongue-in-cheek?

What's anthropology have to do with it?

And welcome, by the way.

Ellen

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: November 26, 2006 12:01AM

The book Outrageous Betrayal about Werner Erhard is available at Amazon for cheap, from third parties. Check out the publisher comments at Amazon, it states right there that The Forum was created by Werner Erhard from EST, which is what Landmark tries to lie about every day.
[www.amazon.com]

I have only read excerpts from the book, but my library system has a few copies, so I just ordered it, should be a good read.

And WELCOME Laura Marble!
Of course, I and other could have been mistaken about the intent of your article...perhaps it is a satire.
Maybe its a satire of...

[i:0720f3b561]"credulous and pliable people who go to a flavor of the month weekend Personal Development Seminar, and then get "brainwashed" or "persuaded" about some kooky junk, and all of a sudden think they now "Get It" and have the Answer To Life, so they run off and try to enroll every person they know, as that is what the Seminar Leader told them to do. They then do this for a few months or years, lose all of their friends, spend all their money, and end up with nothing, except personal embarrassment for getting conned...again".[/color:0720f3b561][/i:0720f3b561]

If that is the case, then great! Perhaps just a little more exaggeration would have made it come across clearer to the casual reader.

Or maybe its something else.
As you know, as a writer, when you write text, people are going to interpret it.

As far as Anthropology, this site has much information about the abusive, perverse, dishonest and corrupt cultural anthropology of Landmark, The Forum, and EST created by Werner Erhard.
[www.culteducation.com]

Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.