Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
U.S. Dept. Labor investigating Landmark ?
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: November 21, 2006 07:12AM

From the Wikipedia article, but knowing the brainwashed zombie cultists over there it won't last long:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Labor practices
Controversy surrounding Landmark's estimated 7,500 unpaid laborers has placed the company at the heart of an ongoing investigation by the US Department of Labor. Roger Gayman is a spokesman for the Department of Labor in San Francisco, where Landmark is based. In March of 2006, he confirmed that the DOL has launched an investigation into Landmark’s labor practices. “It’s an ongoing investigation,” said Gayman. “At this time I can’t comment on this or any prior investigations involving Landmark Education.”[citation needed][44]

They had already been investigated once in 1998:

As of 1998, Landmark Education had previously been investigated by the United States Department of Labor, according to an article in Metroactive Features :

Someone running a math racket or a skepticism racket or both could calculate pretty easily for these volunteers that their chances of becoming a Forum leader ping-pong between microscopic and infinitesimal. A case study by Harvard Business School reports that nationwide, 7,500 volunteers lend their time and services to Landmark. The corporation only pays 451 people, and only a tenth of them are Forum leaders. But here at the Forum, we are told, anything is possible. So devotees keep enrolling in courses, keep volunteering to prove their "commitment." I wonder what kind of racket the Department of Labor was running when it investigated Landmark and determined its volunteers were employees subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Who's heard of volunteers for a for-profit? In the end the Department of Labor dropped the issue, leaving Landmark trumpeting about its volunteers' choice in the matter. [45]

This issue was finally acted upon in France:

In France, Landmark Education assistants had the apparent French legal status of volunteer unpaid workers. On May 24, 2004, the France 3 television network show Pièces à conviction broadcast the investigative report (" Voyage to the land of the new gurus"), addressing (amongst other issues) the matter of volunteer labor. In June 2004, the French labor agency (L’Inspection du Travail) investigated labor practices regarding "volunteer workers". Shortly thereafter, Landmark Education officially ended its operations in France. [46]

Anyone have more information about this ongoing investigation in 2006 by the U.S. Department of Labor into Landmark Education?????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Maggie ()
Date: November 21, 2006 07:26AM

How do they get by with the term 'VOLUNTEER' for a FOR-profit organization?? I don't get that. I can see 'intern' but even interns have laws associated with them, don't they?

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: November 21, 2006 11:09AM

You can see just below that part of the Wiki entry, the Landmark representatives have made entries saying how they are "training" those folks to be Leaders, and lots of other lies along those lines.

If there are people who actually did that "unpaid labor" for Landmark, you could probably file a complaint with the Dept of Labor.

I think what will bring Landmark down are some legal technicalities. They got Al Capone for tax-evasion, not for his criminal activities.

So if you did a bunch of "free labor" for Landmark, you could write up what happened, and then submit it to the Dept of Labor, and maybe something will come of it.

Posted by: Excalibur ()
Date: November 21, 2006 12:24PM

The people at Landmark must feel the walls are closing in on them. First the French and Swedish undercover documentary videos that were posted on-line and now the Dept. of Labor investigation.

Could the end be in sight for Landmark? God I hope so.

Date: November 21, 2006 12:50PM

You can see just below that part of the Wiki entry, the Landmark representatives have made entries saying how they are "training" those folks to be Leaders, and lots of other lies along those lines.

If there are people who actually did that "unpaid labor" for Landmark, you could probably file a complaint with the Dept of Labor.

I think what will bring Landmark down are some legal technicalities. They got Al Capone for tax-evasion, not for his criminal activities.

So if you did a bunch of "free labor" for Landmark, you could write up what happened, and then submit it to the Dept of Labor, and maybe something will come of it.

Good idea! Ex-volunteers should come forward and report to the Federal Department of Labor, as well as their own State department of Labor.

In addition to that, now that there is probably an ongoing investigation by the Federal Department of Labor, concerned citizens might also want to [b:772af01466]bring this to the attention of local Congressmen, Senators, State Attorneys General, etc.[/b:772af01466] They all might be more amenable to cooperate/start investigations State-by-State in the U.S., if they know that there is already enough stuff to warrant a separate investigation by the Federal Department of Labor, TWICE. (1998 and 2006, and also 2004 in France)........

Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: November 21, 2006 04:11PM

How do they get by with the term 'VOLUNTEER' for a FOR-profit organization?? I don't get that. I can see 'intern' but even interns have laws associated with them, don't they?

They don't call them volunteers, they are people who are registered in the assisting programme. The "volunteers" don't pay to do the programme, they assist around the centre and on courses and benefit from it by getting free coaching.

Its all a big sham, people don't get anywhere near as much as what Landmark says they will

Posted by: caligari ()
Date: November 21, 2006 04:20PM

sonnie_dee

They don't call them volunteers, they are people who are registered in the assisting programme. The "volunteers" don't pay to do the programme, they assist around the centre and on courses and benefit from it by getting free coaching.

Its all a big sham, people don't get anywhere near as much as what Landmark says they will

You make a commitment to get more out of it then you put into it. If you don't create that, it's your responsibility.

Posted by: Brad69 ()
Date: November 21, 2006 08:49PM

Today, speaking to someone who lives in France, I learnt that Landmark has left France, Belgium, Sweden, and Switzerland!

He says he'll try to find out more for me about the details in these cases, although language is obviously a problem.

It would be good to find out more info that can be posted in English.

The more examples of countries giving this bunch the boot, the better it is. Hopefully such evidence will help get the Department of Labor to intensify their investigation into Landmark.

From there, hopefully, the entire LGAT industry!

Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: November 21, 2006 09:11PM

Come to think of it, they must be panicking big-time as they try to stomp that video off the internet by whatever means possible!

They would possibly see it as a "life or death" scenario for the survival of the organisation. After all ... there are a lot of countries that are covered by the English language!

John

Date: November 22, 2006 02:48AM

Today, speaking to someone who lives in France, I learnt that Landmark has left France, Belgium, Sweden, and Switzerland!

He says he'll try to find out more for me about the details in these cases, although language is obviously a problem.

It would be good to find out more info that can be posted in English.

The more examples of countries giving this bunch the boot, the better it is. Hopefully such evidence will help get the Department of Labor to intensify their investigation into Landmark.

From there, hopefully, the entire LGAT industry!

Well, we know why Landmark shut down in France and Sweden, bad media publicity in investigative evening news programs. In France, we know there was an investigation into unpaid labor practices - we don't yet have English information as to why they shut down in Sweden, other than the bad press.

That leaves Belgium and Switzerland, no info yet in English as to why they left those countries, or how their group is classified in those countries.

You can go to
[www.landmarkeducation.com]
which is just clicking "events and locations" from the main tab of the www.landmarkeducation.com page, and selecting "Landmark Forum" from the "Event/Program" toolbar, and the take a look at the Location-Choose a Country drop down menu, to see which countries the Landmark Forum is still offered in. They may have offices in other countries, but the Forum looks like it's now offered in only 19...

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.