Landmark and Other LGATs in the Workplace
Posted by: Lucas ()
Date: February 15, 2006 04:03AM

Hello -

I am a journalist working on an article about Landmark Education and LGATs at work. Currently, I'm in search of leads and two types of sources:

- those who have attended Landmark courses (or similar est-themed LGATs) because someone at work suggested or told them to go. (In particular, I'm seeking employees of larger, well-known companies.)

- those who have encountered an est-flavored consultancy at work. (There are a variety of consultancies that use est-like business practices. Generally, they're hired to come in and conduct business seminars that closely resemble The Forum. Their vocabulary, style and message is often indistinguishable from that of est and Landmark.)

If either description sounds familiar, I'd be grateful to hear your story. To contact me, please post a reply or send a private message telling me a bit about yourself and your experience. I'm happy to tell you more about the project, and answer any questions or concerns you may have. If you'd just like to share the details of your story anonymously - or pass on a lead - that's fine, too.

A word about the piece: One of the first questions people ask is whether this will be a "good" piece or a "bad" piece. I hope neither. I'm aiming to write a fair piece. I will be listening to what people have to say, and sharing those voices with readers. If you have an opinion or a story to share, let me know. The more people I hear from, the better the article will be.

Thanks for your time - I appreciate any help you can offer.

Lucas

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 15, 2006 04:29AM

I have spoken by phone with this reporter myself personally.

Anyone interested should know that this a very legitimate and professional person.

This an opportunity for you to be heard if you want to share.

Please cooperate in whatevever way you can.

Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: February 15, 2006 05:10AM

Hi Lucas - there is a thread from about 2 years ago that lists a number of organisations that have had LE style consulting and there is mention of this on the LE site. One LE flagship example was BHP Steel in New Zealand. Key measurables were given pre and post consulting. What would be interesting is measuring a corelation to divorce rates and relationship breakups in this company and others a few years out.

What is the geographic scope of your research given that this board is an international one?

Oz

Posted by: joe6 ()
Date: February 15, 2006 05:20AM

Lucas, a general comment which others may want to add to:
With something like Landmark, there are True Believers (like my friend unfortunately) who buy in and even though they may criticize some aspects, their mind does not permit the thought that it is a scam. (sad but obvious enough)
But also note that if someone does see that Landmark is manipulating them, there are two possibilities: you can leave or stay for more. Many leave (like me after one intro night or my friends who did one seminar and left in disgust). But others (like my former boss) fall into the other category:
He went to the Forum, looked around at all the suckers buying into a load of nothing and he wanted that power. This is not the True Believer seeking salvation. He is the Power Seeker who knows Landmark is a scam and wants to study at the feet of the masters to learn every detail.
So, as you look for sources for your article, it may be unpleasent to be in the presence of someone like that, but if you find one it can be a gold mine because they know exactly what is going on, they've done all the courses, and they aren't invested in protecting Landmark as their in-group.

Posted by: Lucas ()
Date: February 15, 2006 05:29AM

Good point, Oz -

We're a national magazine based in the US -- with about 725,000 subscribers based here and around the world. We also have a large online readership.

As Landmark and the companies it works with are global, the article will encompass global stories.

Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: February 15, 2006 07:06AM

I'd second that opinion. You want to be as agressive as possible in locating the source of the REAL motivation(s) for introducing LGAT trainings, in their original or modified forms into the workplace.

Managers and owners have historically had different agendas from workers. It would be naive to assume that the introduction of an LGAT means that everyone is suddenly on the same page.

There is almost always a Taylorist assumption in the back of the managerial mind, that if the line workers can be made as uniform as possible, then the workplace can be made as efficient as possible.

There is also the temptation to redirect criticisms of workplace conditions as issue of personal responsibility... the more the worker perceives his difficulties at work as the consequence of his own "creating", the less he thinks in terms of greivances.

Astute busines owners are more likely to identify with the Topdogs, the training staff, and marvel at their capacity to keep the trainees, the Underdogs, in line. It is very doubtful that corporations would be interested in LGAT derived trainings out of a pure sense of altruism. You won't find many other examples of corporate actions that do not have a direct tie in to profit motive.

Posted by: elena ()
Date: February 16, 2006 11:22AM

Obvious, even for a casual observor, that Landmark and similar groups, are very, very good at getting people to work hard, make huge personal sacrifices, dedicate themselves, and go along willingly with extensive and increasing demands. What owner/manager/tyrant/boss/dictator/overlord wouldn't be thrilled with this ~technology?~

Ellen

Posted by: CultHunter ()
Date: March 29, 2006 12:38PM

I have heard of many instances of this in my state.

I would prefer a private message if you want to discuss this.

Posted by: Kastlefeer ()
Date: March 30, 2006 03:47AM

My experience is through my mother and I'm afraid she doesn't fit the criteria of your inquiry. She met LECies at her place of worship. She took the forum, was in the mindset for about a week and then started to return to some semblance of normalacy. Partly due to my intervention but suprisingly more because of an introduction leader's persistant hounding of her to take a job in not one but two different pyramid/mlm companies(WFG & FHTM). Something clicked in my mom and she very much dislikes this person now thank goodness. I keep a close eye on her these days, I try to be very positive around her and with luck we'll stay clear of any LGAT dangers in the future.

Anyhow to sum up, the one introduction leader is involved in pyramid scheme business's and LEC appears to be his shadow pyramid. His attendance at the RS church seems merely a place to scout out fodder for enrollment. A regular base at which to attempt affinity fraud even ...

I wish you luck in creating an objective story for your publication. The more lights out there the better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.