See if it fits your siuation;
- they want you to think this is the best thing that happened to you.
- they want you to recruit others.
- there is a short introduction course or session followed by followup
- leaders (or leader) are charismatic and have secret knowledge.
- they use strange language. Old words get new meanings and new words
- your environment is controlled. A lot of rules.
- critical people are broken down and made to comply or leave.
- fear is instilled in the "conregation".
- black or white thinking or an all-or-nothing attitude.
- long unpaid working hours. The top people collect the money.
- they attracts all sorts of people and try to make it seem legitimate
saying that lawyers, doctors etc are doing it. Even psychologist.
- robotlike behaviour.
- history of bad press and lawsuits.
- harassment of critics.
- a teaching that is mystical and very hard to learn and apply.
- sharing is a central part. Used to draw your secrets out of you.
Not all may apply to your situation - it may be sufficient for just a few of them to be apparent. The key here is identifying if manipulation is used.
Read other peoples accounts on this message board. All these criteria are fullfilled by Landmark Education Corporation. Stay away!
I find this useful: