Current Page: 54 of 55
Rajneesh's legacy today -- Vice.com
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: June 19, 2015 09:47PM

Here is an article describing a visit to the Rajneesh/Osho ashram at Pune, India.

They still show films of Rajneesh's lectures.

Notice the author's descriptions of how often she felt beguiled by
Rajneesh's speech patterns.

[www.vice.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Royal Way/Jacumba/Ranch/Michael Gottlieb
Posted by: dumbstruck ()
Date: June 27, 2015 07:32AM

For any former member:

What types of questions are asked in encounter groups? I've read most of these posts and it sounds like those groups are used to call in to question the various life decisions of its members.

Date: August 03, 2015 05:38AM

From Websters Dictionary-

"Manipulation is a way to covertly influence someone with indirect, deceptive, or abusive tactics. Manipulation may seem benign or even friendly or flattering, as if the person has your highest concern in mind, but in reality it's to achieve an ulterior motive. Manipulation is most common and easily achieved by a loved one or someone you trust."

Date: August 03, 2015 05:50AM

To Dumbstruck,

The encounter groups are used by people in the group to discuss issues that are troubling them, share something significant or offer an observation toward another member that may aid in their spiritual growth. Sometimes there are some big life decisions discussed. When Michael was alive, those kinds of issues were eventually shared with Michael before any action was taken. And yes, people acted on Michael’s “suggestion” 99% of the time, even if their original inclination differed. A small example was his endorsement of George W. Bush as president. Many liberal members ended up following his endorsement, who wouldn’t have otherwise done so. A few bigger examples were a number of Royal Way marriages, requesting strange and off-putting behavior at funerals and around non-members.

"The Royal Way" title of book by Rajneesh/Osho
Date: August 11, 2015 08:41PM

FYI:

Here is a citation for a book entitled "The Royal Way" by Rajneesh/Osho

[books.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 08:42PM by corboy.

Date: March 21, 2018 04:35AM

The Osho documentary on Netflix, “Wild Wild Country” has many parallels.

Date: March 23, 2018 10:41AM

Here is a goodie to read. The author investigated the Antelope Valley Rajneeshpuram ranch, got to know many of the disciples during that time and
stayed in contact with them after they left the group.

He identifies areas where the documentary missed or avoided important issues.

I Covered The Rajneesh Cult. Here’s What ‘Wild Wild Country’ Leaves Out.
Reconnecting with the Burrows family, who went looking for nirvana in Oregon and found a crime ring instead.
Jim Popkin

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Rajneesh Osho was not a cute hippie guru - he knew what he did
Date: March 27, 2018 10:06PM

Outside the Limits of the Human Imagination
What the new documentary “Wild, Wild Country” doesn’t capture about the magnetism and evil of the Rajneesh cult

[newrepublic.com]

Some small excerpts here:

In one of my earliest pieces, “Bhagwan’s Hypnotic Spell,” I recounted that counselors and researchers in the field of mind control and cults believed that Rajneesh was a master of various techniques of inducing altered states of consciousness, techniques that they said he and his assistants used to bind followers to him and his organization. Josh Baran, who ran a support organization in Berkeley called Sorting It Out for people who had left spiritual groups, was my first source on this subject. Baran told me he had learned that Rajneesh and his assistants were extremely skilled in a wide range of techniques for manipulating and controlling people, many of which derived from Eastern religions:

He is quite fluent in various altered states of consciousness, much more than other cult leaders I know of. His techniques include chanting, meditation, Sufi dancing, staring into lights for extended periods of time, and powerful music, all of which induce altered states of mind. What went on at his ashram in Pune was literally a smorgasbord of altered states of mind.

Hilly Zeitlin, a clinical social worker who was co-director of Options for Personal Transition in Berkeley, an organization dealing with cult involvement and related religious issues, said that Rajneesh had made a study of techniques of hypnotic induction used by cults, and told me that he believed Rajneesh to be a “one of the best hypnotists I have ever encountered. The way he uses language, his tone of voice, the way he sequences ideas ... all are essentially hypnotic.” He went on to say that “the art of hypnosis is the art of being vague, while pretending you are being profound,” an art that he thought Rajneesh practiced masterfully in his lectures to his disciples in Pune. “Rajneesh,“ he added, “can be even vaguer now by not saying anything at all.” Rajneesh had taken a “vow of silence” when he left India for the United States. “Now you can project onto him whatever you want to believe.”

Kathleen McLaughlin, an associate professor of religious studies at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, was at the University of Pune from 1977 to 1978 and went to hear Rajneesh lecture at his ashram on several occasions. She told me: “His use of language is wonderful. He is a hypnotic and beautiful speaker who is profoundly psychically connected to his audience. We have an immature understanding of spirituality in the West,” she contended, “and since we don’t believe in psychic phenomena, we are very vulnerable to them. In India it is understood that anybody who meditates can develop psychic powers—the notion is commonly held that there are such powers and that you can develop them if you want to.” McLaughlin said that Western, academically-trained intellectuals are “especially vulnerable to this because they have been trained to use their heads, but not their emotions, and these techniques bypass rational thought.”

Zeitlin asserted that the entire social system of the Rajneesh organization functioned to create hypnotic suggestibility in its members.
Zeitlin asserted that the entire social ystem of the Rajneesh organization functioned to create hypnotic suggestibility in its members. “There is an intense effort to break down normal ways by which people measure themselves, under the guise of going beyond or transcending the ego,” he said, “and all of this is done in hypnotically binding way. They overload the circuits of the conscious mind and then present you with the alternative of ‘inner consciousness.’ Meanwhile, dependence on the group has developed.” Zeitlin told me that he had found in his interviews with ex-Rajneehsees that they were “extremely psychologically regressed” and that their capacity to relate to others and articulate their feelings was “drastically reduced.”

“These techniques, by themselves, are not bad,” asserted Baran. “They are only bad when they are used to control and enfeeble people.” The problem was that Rajneesh and his assistants were using these techniques “to get people to become followers.”

As reported by Krishna Deva, the ex-mayor of Rajneeshpuram who turned state’s evidence, Rajneesh was comparing himself to Hitler toward the end, stating that Hitler had been similarly misunderstood when he sought to create a “new man” (something Rajneesh also claimed to be doing). Rajneesh, like Asahara, had a medical facility in which deadly substances of various kinds were stockpiled, and were in instances actually deployed.

n a 1978 issue of the German magazine Stern, a woman named Eva Renzi recounted her experiences in a Rajneesh encounter group. “In the room were eighteen people,” her account begins,

I only knew Jan, a fifty-year-old Dutchman. The leader sat down, after he had closed the thick sound-proofed door. Suddenly a woman hurled herself at another and screamed at her, “You make me sick. You are a vampire. I want to scratch your face, you filthy thing.” She beat her ... . Meanwhile two women and a young man had got up. The young man threw himself on a girl of about eighteen, and boxed her on the ears with the words: “You are a caricature of a Madonna. You think you’re better than us, don’t you. You are the worst person here.” And then, pointing at me, he said, “Together with you, you bitch. You’ve got it coming to you, too.” The girl’s nose was running with blood. She tried desperately to protect herself against the blows. Then the leader took charge: “You probably think that you have control over things. You have not even got control over yourself. You are under total control here.”

Renzi was assigned by the group leaders to spend the night with the Dutchman Jan. However, after eating dinner she went quickly to sleep. “Next day, I appeared for the group punctually,” she wrote.

I said a friendly “good morning,” and icy silence answered me. I sat down. The leader asked what had happened in the previous 24 hours. Then Jan sprang up, pulled me up, and began uninhibitedly beating me. “You whore,” he shouted, “you have humiliated me, you cursed woman, I’ll kill you.” I was horrified. My nose began to bleed. I shouted: “This is your problem, if your masculine pride is hurt.” He beat me further. He tore my blouse and threw me on the floor. Like someone possessed he sat on me, beat me with his fists on my head, choked my neck, and shouted: “Say the truth, you piece of filth.”

“What truth? Are you out of your mind, are you hypnotized?” I shouted. Suddenly he left me ... . I got up trembling, trying to stop my bleeding nose. “Is this a center for developing a crazy masculinity?” I asked. I thought the craziness had passed, and would go. Then first of all a man dived on me. “Exactly that,” he said. “What did you think we’re doing here?” Then two women grabbed me, and then the whole group.

“What happened next was like an evil dream,” Renzi continues. “‘Fight with us, you coward. Will you play holy in here, you whore?’ someone said. I fled from one corner to another. They punched, scratched, and kicked me, and pulled my hair. They tore my blouse and pants off my body. I was stark naked, and they were so surrendered to their madness, that I was filled with death-anxiety. My one thought: to stay conscious. I screamed: ‘Let me go. I want to get out of here.’ At a signal from the leader they let me go.”

Renzi concluded her account for the German public of her experience of Rajneesh group therapy techniques by saying: “This craziness garnished with sadism, this fanaticism with world-beating claims, had I not already heard it somewhere before?”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2018 09:35AM by corboy.

This is Gottlieb's guru - Rajneesh/Osho
Date: April 15, 2018 11:38PM

The Dialogue: What Readers Had to Say About Our Archive Coverage of Oregon’s Rajneesh Cult

[www.wweek.com]

In 1984, the Rajneeshees Bused 3,000 Homeless People to Live in Their Oregon Compound. Our Reporter Was One of Them.
The story showed readers what was going on inside the compound: Zealots who couldn’t explain what they believed met desperate men who brought their demons to the desert.

(Corboy: take a close look at the picture. There are security guards. Take a closer look at them. A retired military man told me that a police officer friend of his acquired a uniform patch custom made for the Rajneeshpuram security force - aka those security guards in the photo. Look very closely. Those guys are armed. This is the thing to remember about Rajneesh - not his giggles, not his fleet of Rolls Royces. He was into power - and lethal force.)

[www.wweek.com]

Thirty Years Ago, “Geek Love” Author Katherine Dunn Scored a Jailhouse Interview With Rajneeshee Mastermind Ma Anand Sheela. Fireworks Ensued.
"If you’re so smart, why are you in jail?"

[www.wweek.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 11:38PM by corboy.

This was where Michael Gottlieb went for wisdom
Date: April 30, 2018 06:00AM

This article gives the URL to footage of activities at Rajneesh/Osho's ashram in Pune, India.

Every Big Question That Wild Wild Country Didn’t Answer
By
Kenny Herzog

[www.vulture.com]

(except)

Sannyasin sympathizer Wolfgang Dobrowolny’s fly-on-wall documentary

[www.imdb.com] about Bhagwan’s 1970s Indian ashram

[www.vulture.com]

which left the townspeople of Antelope in shock and awe, is even crazier than Wild Wild Country’s compiled clips connote.

The documentary’s scenes of graphic sexual sordidness and paganlike ritual would be difficult for even the average modern hedonist to sit through. (This footage is neither safe for work nor recommended for sensitive viewers.)

[dotsub.com]

Bhagwan probably relished the prospect of his Oregonian adversaries going pale bearing witness to his flock’s behavior. But objectively, anyone not under his sway would be by turns skeptical and appalled

Current Page: 54 of 55

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.