Current Page: 49 of 55
Re: Royal Way/Jacumba/Ranch/Michael Gottlieb
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:20AM

Very good to put this on the record of Michael Gottlieb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 29, 2012 07:06AM

Rajneesh was an avid reader, and his adoring disciples, luckily for future historians, took notes.

This is fascinating research--that MG used so much material from Rajneesh.

Date: October 31, 2012 10:32PM

A Description of Rajneesh's Voice--Trance Induction?

Guest described Rajneesh's voice as "a low hypnotic purr, trailing the end of every sentence into the faintest hiss".

[books.google.com]

Found this article online. It contains an interview of a man, German and educated in religion and philosophy who had been a rajneesh sanyassin and later was able to wake up and leave.

It is written from a Christian standpoint, and the interviewee who left Rajneesh remained convinced Raj had psychic powers. My hunch is that Rajneesh was just quite good at reading people--and people tended to tell all sorts of detailed information about themselves.

Tim Guest told how his mother discovered extensive files were kept on disciples and how she read her own file--and found it contained her first desperate letter to Rajneesh. Someone who maintains a file system can make it seem he or she is psychic.

but even aside from that, there is detailed info about the programs at the Poona ashram, the whole sale regression, etc which may help reconstruct what made it so appealing to Michael. A lot of human potential types and therapists visited the Pune ashram, and MG may have been among them.

[www.equip.org]

Date: October 31, 2012 10:38PM

The Bhagwan ('The Blessed One') was born in central India in 1931, the son of a cloth merchant.

As a teenager, he was interested in conjuring and hypnosis, hobbies ideally suited to someone wishing to start his own religion. In his late 20s he made a bit of a name for himself

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

Date: November 01, 2012 07:59AM

Corboy,

Corboy
A lot of human potential types and therapists visited the Pune ashram, and MG may have been among them.
Here is the transcript of a publicly available interaction between Rajneesh and MG:
From Osho's book, I Say Unto You, Vol. 1, Chapter 6:

Osho
The fifth question:

"Osho, Why do I cry whenever something real happens in meditation? Sometimes, even during lecture, when you say something that strikes me as my own truth, tears come to my eyes and I tremble with silent sobs. What is the connection between truth and tears?"

The question is from Michael Gottlieb.

First, it may be that only tears are true in you, everything else has become false. Your smile, your face, your gestures, your words – all may have become false. It may be that only your tears are still true. That’s why whenever you hear something of truth, they start surfacing. They are in tune with truth.

And this is not only so with you, this is so with many people.

Tears have not been corrupted too much, particularly in men. About women it is not so true. Their tears may he just a facade, their tears may be their diplomacies, their tears may be their tricks, strategies. But about men…men have not been allowed tears at all. People have been told from their very childhood that if you are a man, then tears are not available for you. You should never cry! So tears have remained there, uncorrupted by the society, unpolluted by the society – at least it is so with men. So whenever you hear something of truth – something that simply goes and becomes a song in your heart, something that simply penetrates like a ray of light into your darkness – tears come, because the true calls forth the true in you.

Michael Gottlieb’s name is beautiful: “Gottlieb” means God-love. Maybe there is a great desire for God, a great love for God which is getting ready every day, which is going to possess you. Allow those tears, because the danger is that you may be repressing them.

Gottlieb is a psychologist – that is the danger. You may start rationalizing, you may start finding explanations. You may start stopping those tears which are innocent – as innocent as dewdrops – which are uncorrupted by your mind; they come from the beyond. Those tears are coming from your heart. Don’t start explaining them. Psychologists have become very clever at explaining away everything. Live with the mystery of the tears. When they come, allow them. Go into those sobs, those sobs are the beginning of prayer in you. Flow in those tears totally, unashamed. Don’t feel embarrassed. Go wholeheartedly into them, and through them you will be cleansed and purified. Those tears will become your very alchemy. Their very touch will turn you into gold.

I have been watching Gottlieb. He has been here for only a few days, and deep down he is afraid of sannyas. First he was only going to stay for ten days, then he extended it for a few days. Now he has extended a little more, and by and by he is getting trapped. Now the tears have started to come. Now it is dangerous, Gottlieb.

But still you are not allowing them a total flow. Be swayed by them. Let that throb go to your very cells and the fibers of your being. Let those tears dance in and around you, and through those tears you will be initiated. Through those tears you are coming close to me and I am coming close to you.

If you allow, something is going to happen, something immensely valuable. But it depends on you whether you will allow it or you will escape before it becomes too much.

To be here needs courage. To be with me means risk. If you decide to be with me, you are risking finding yourself. The risk is there. And to find oneself, one has to die to one’s whole past, because the new can come only when the old has disappeared. Let those tears take your past, let them wash you. They are preparing you for me. And you have a heart which can grow in prayer. But if you allow, only then. Nothing can be done against you. And up to now you have been fighting, you have been protecting, safeguarding yourself. You are keeping a little bit aloof, distant. Then you are doing it at your own risk. You may miss the opportunity.

This also exists as an audio recording that can be downloaded from Osho's website.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 02, 2013 08:06PM

See [www.cultnews.com]

The Rick A. Ross Institute for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups, and Movements has officially changed its name to The Cult Education Institute for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups and Movements.

The new domain name entry point and gateway to the Internet archives of the institute will soon be culteducation.com.

The Cult Education Institute archives is a library of information about destructive cults, controversial groups and movements, which was initially launched in 1996 and has continued to be under construction and expansion for the past 17 years.

The public message board attached to the The Cult Education Institute will soon only be accessible through the domain name culteducation.com. More than 100,000 entries from the former members of destructive cults, controversial groups and movements and others concerned has accumulated at the board over the past decade. The message board content continues to grow daily and it serves as a free speech zone for those who wish to share their insights and concerns about the topics listed.

Date: August 29, 2013 02:19AM

A radiance of light, and a few words... 

As many former RW members have learned, Michael Gottlieb was a student of Osho-formerly Rajneesh. Although Mr. Gottlieb never acknowledged his influence, the majority of Michael's meditations, letters, tapes and practices were obtained from Osho. 

There are many examples where whole sections of writings have been almost lifted directly, and in comparison the volumes of Michael Gottlieb's letters and Osho's writings have strikingly similar theses, vocabulary, cadence, even thought processes. If someone were to read either's works without knowing the author, one could easily be mistaken for the other. 

There have been a few RW followers entrusted with access to Mr. Gottlieb's residential office who knew of his sizable, extensive collection of Osho books, audio and video tapes. Little did they realize how routinely these references were passed off as MG's profound "culmination" of many different teacher's words. He preemptively stifled any challenge by claiming "Nothing I teach is original", and "I'll use anything" to reach his students. The examples of direct Osho teachings in his program are so numerous that Mr. Gottlieb must have known it was only a matter of time before the truth would be exposed. He could see that the internet was going to eventually uncover something he could have easily conceded to from the beginning, but still he chose to barely mention Rajneesh's influence. He spoke of him once and only as a peer, never as his revered teacher. 

In truth, it is documented that Mr. Gottlieb came to Osho without the ability to express inner sadness or joy. In an openly available audio recording, Osho mentions MG by name and answers a question regarding this inability. Osho spends some time speaking directly to MG and mentions that is it wise that he has extended his stay. Michael's time with Osho must have been a deep experience since it was barely a year after their meeting that MG had his shift to "enlightenment" on Mt. Jacumba. Did Michael ever mention to his students that the body of his work was largely a facilitation of Osho's teachings? Or even an influence? This was a secret that he had to maintain on a daily basis, and it was probably the root of his need for Kabbalistic furtiveness, his resentment toward the dependency he cultivated in his community and his perverse behavior during privates, etc.. 

Michael always presented his talks as prerecorded tapes that he would play for students during retreats and pilgrimages, or as lectures from written notes from a lectern during his lavish birthday parties. Rarely did he present a talk freeform. Going through Osho's extensive library of talks, one can see that Mr. Gottlieb recorded or wrote his material partially to keep intact the energy and power of teachings that Osho presented off-the-cuff. 

Luckily, Osho is one of the most open and published gurus of our time. Let's begin with a number of meditation practices that formed the foundation of Mr. Gottlieb's monthly "Pilgrimages". They can easily be found on Osho's website, created by Osho with specific music and instruction long before Michael's creation of Jacumba. 

GIBBERISH and LET-GO 
MG would routinely end the first evening of Pilgrimage with this meditation, using the same music. Described on Osho's website as "A method of release using sound and body movement, Gibberish has been described by Osho as “one of the most scientific ways to clean your mind.” It is followed by a guided relaxation into a state of complete let-go." 

Gibberish Meditation Link 

LAUGHING MEDITATION 
This was the second of three meditations that MG considered foundational to Pilgrimage. As quoted from Osho's book, "Beyond Enlightenment", chapter 27, page 11: 
"And there is no need that there should be some occasion, some cause. In my meditation camps I used to have a laughing meditation – for no reason, people would sit and just start laughing. At first they would feel a little awkward that there was no reason, but when everybody was doing it, they would also start. Soon, everybody was in such a great laughter, people were rolling on the ground. They were laughing at the very fact that so many people were laughing for no reason at all; there was nothing, not even a joke had been told. And it went on like waves." 

From Osho's book, "The Message Beyond Words", chapter 5, page 13: 

"While you are doing this laughing meditation, don’t be afraid of what your neighbor will think about you – your laughter will encourage him also because he is also afraid of you! Add this experiment as your morning meditation while you are still in bed." 

CRYING MEDITATION 
This was the third meditation that MG considered foundational to Pilgrimage. All three were done as a rule until the last 10 years of his life, when he would try another practice or leave one or all out completely. From Osho's book, "YAA-HOO! The Mystic Rose", chapter 30, page 4: 

"…cry and weep without any reason, just as an exercise, a meditation…nobody will believe it. Tears have never been accepted as meditation. And I tell you, they are not only a meditation, they are a medicine also. You will have better eyesight and you will have better inner vision. 
All that this world needs is a good cleansing of the heart of all the inhibitions of the past. Laughter and tears can do both. Tears will take out all the agony that is hidden inside you and laughter will take all that is preventing your ecstasy. Once you have learned the art you will be immensely surprised: why has this not been told up to now? There is a reason: nobody has wanted humanity to have the freshness of a roseflower and the fragrance and the beauty." 
"…you have to allow yourself to weep, cry, for no reason at all – just the tears are ready to come. You have been preventing them. Just don’t prevent, and whenever you feel they are not coming, just say, 'Yaa-Boo!'." 

OSHO® DYNAMIC MEDITATION™ 
Michael would have his pilgrims do this exact one from time to time, using the same music. The description from Osho's website: "This 1-hour meditation is a fast, intense and thorough way to break old, ingrained patterns in the bodymind that keep one imprisoned in the past, and to experience the freedom, the witnessing, silence and peace that are hidden behind these prison walls. The meditation is meant to be done in the early morning, when “the whole of nature becomes alive, the night has gone, the sun is coming up and everything becomes conscious and alert.” 

Dynamic Meditation Link

OSHO® KUNDALINI MEDITATION™ 
This one was the final meditation of MG's introductory "first level" retreats but also done occasionally during pilgrimage. From the Osho website: "This 1-hour “sister meditation” to the OSHO Dynamic is best done at sunset or in the late afternoon. Being fully immersed in the shaking and dancing of the first two stages helps to “melt” the rock-like being, wherever the energy flow has been repressed and blocked. Then that energy can flow, dance and be transformed into bliss and joy. The last two stages enable all this energy to flow vertically, to move upwards into silence. It is a highly effective way of unwinding and letting go at the end of the day." 

Kundalini Meditation Link

OSHO® WHIRLING MEDITATION™ 
Michael had his students practice this whirling med exactly as Osho had created and defined it. From the Osho website: "Whirling is an ancient Sufi technique. While your whole body is moving you become aware of your very being, the watcher at the center, which is unmoving. You learn to be an unidentified witness at the center of the cyclone. This 1-hour meditation is best done on an empty stomach, on bare feet and wearing loose clothing." 

Whirling Meditation Link

MORE TO COME...

Date: August 29, 2013 02:37AM

As an addendum to the last post, the following RW/Osho meditation music and sounds can be found on iTunes in their exact sequence. 
I find it interesting that these sound sequences are perceived as unique and private to the RW community. The whirling music was used for years but later abandoned for other recordings that met Paprika's approval, with Michael's blessing. 

OSHO® KUNDALINI MEDITATION™ 
LINK

OSHO® DYNAMIC MEDITATION™ 
LINK

OSHO® WHIRLING MEDITATION™ 
LINK

Date: August 29, 2013 02:45AM

A radiance of light… and a few comparative words… 

From Michael Gottlieb, Letter 37 (commonly known in RW as "The Service Letter"), Page 2, Paragraph 1: 

"Let it be clear… this is not easy. It is very difficult. It may be the most difficult thing anyone can achieve. To accept and believe that I am the cause of my misery… of all my hell, is very deep, very difficult. We want to hear differently. When someone else tells us we are the victim, that someone else is exploiting us, that someone else is the cause of our own misery, that makes us feel good. That person who tells us these things looks so sympathetic, and is such a friend, because he makes us feel good. But this goodness is very temporary. In fact, this goodness can be dangerous because it perpetuates, it perpetuates the cause of the misery." 

From Osho, "The Path of Yoga", Chapter 10, Page 4: 

"…that you are the cause of your miseries. This is very hard. This is the most difficult thing to understand, that “I am the cause of my miseries.” This hits deep, one feels hurt. Whenever someone says someone else is the cause you feel okay and that person looks sympathetic. If he says, “You are a sufferer, a victim, and others are exploiting you, others are doing damage, others are violent,” you feel good. But this goodness is not going to last. It is a momentary consolation, and dangerous, at a very great cost, because he is helping the cause of your misery."

MG, continuing: 

"When you are with a true Teacher he appears harsh because he forces you to the fact that you are not the victim, that you are the cause. This is not easy. But once you accept it, once you understand it, once you feel that you are the cause of hell, already transformation has begun, already half the work is done. Once you understand that you are the cause, a great change will come over you, because you will no longer cooperate with the cause of misery." 

Osho, continuing: 

"If you go to a buddha, to an enlightened person, he is bound to be hard, because he will force you to the fact that you are the cause. And once you start feeling that you are the cause of your hell, the transformation has already started. The moment you feel this, half the work is already done. You are already on the path, you have already moved. A great change has come over you." 

MG, continuing: 

"You will no longer say, 'My wife upsets me, my wife makes me angry.' You will understand that you chose this wife and you probably chose her for this reason. You will no longer say, 'My husband is a great problem for me.' You chose this husband, etcetera, ra, ra." 

"The more you make others responsible for your life the more a slave you are. If you say your wife makes you angry, then you are a slave to your wife. If you say your husband is making trouble, then you are a slave to your husband." 

Osho, continuing: 

"The more you make others responsible for your life the more you are a slave. If you say, “My wife is making me angry,” then you are a slave. If you say your husband is creating trouble for you, then you are a slave. Even if your husband is creating trouble, you have chosen that husband. And you wanted this trouble, this type of trouble – it is your choice. If your wife is making hell…you have chosen this wife." 

MG: 

"On this plane the greatest freedom comes from this wisdom that you, however you are, wherever you are, whatever you are, you are the cause." 

Osho: 

"So whatsoever I say to you is just to make you alert of a single fact: that wherever you are, whatsoever you are, you are the cause."

For those who have access to Mr. Gottlieb's letters, you are invited to check these quotes for accuracy. If you sign up for free access to Osho's library, you can check his quotes as well. They are all indeed accurate, and a typical example of proof that MG's writings went beyond borrowing Osho's concepts. One is reminded of that late night term paper technique, where changing a few words here and there, and rearranging a few sentences might keep you from being accused of… well, you know… 

MORE TO COME...

Date: August 29, 2013 02:50AM

Thanks so much for posting this information.

Much information on Rajneesh (now known today as Osho) is archived here

[www.culteducation.com]

Those who want to research the Rajneesh/Osho legacy further are advised to read My Life in Orange by Tim Guest, who grew up as a minor child in Medina and Rajneeshpuram and another Rajneesh project in Germany.

Some children could not adjust after having spent childhood in such strange circumstances. Guest paid a heavy price. He wrote, sadly and angrily that the child rearing practices at these Rajneesh establishments ensured that what wounded Rajneesh in his own upbringing would be inflicted on others. "Utter contempt for the needs of children" --Guests verdict.

Guest tells us that from the time Raj was a young man, he made a point of studying hypnosis. Always a small, frail man, it appears that from an early age, Raj was determined to augment himself by all means possible, whether learning trance induction, setting his chair up on a platform, acquiring entourages, glittery and glitz..

Additional Rajneesh material here.

[www.culteducation.com]

Hypnosis

Bhagwan: The God That Failed: Hugh Milne: 9780312001063 ...

www.amazon.com › Books › Religion & Spiritualityý

Paperback. $10.74. My Life in Orange: Growing Up with the … › Tim Guest .... of Gurdjieff, experimented with the occult, breath control, magic and hypnosis, ...
[www.google.com]

[www.enlightened-spirituality.org]

I did enjoy Rajneesh's wild sense of wacky humor, often hilarious!—though author Tim Guest (who grew up in several dysfunctional Rajneesh communes) says that Rajneesh cribbed many of his best jokes from Playboy magazine, and too many of his jokes, alas, were ugly slurs on ethnic and racial groups or just tiresome "juvenile scatological humor," as journalist Rohit Arya has assessed it, such as Rajneesh's long comedic essay on the "magical" word "F*ck," and his concluding, quite silly and likely sarcastic admonition that one should wake up each morning and say "F*ck you" five times (the entire routine from 1984, read by Rajneesh from a script, is viewable at www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D7rWLzloOI&feature=related).

the very interesting book, Life of Osho (1997), by "Sam" (the late Paritosh/Chris Gray), which is suppressed by the official Osho movement because it's by far the most candid of the pro-Osho books, "Sam" claims that Rajneesh's crude, nasty joke-telling dates from around 1980 and continued into the late 1980s. Sam/Paritosh neatly rationalizes it as being Rajneesh's way of destroying his own image in the eyes of followers so that they would not keep him on a pedestal. "Osho started to play the part of charlatan. This was the time he started to tell whole slews of dirty jokes in the lecture. Osho had always used jokes in discourse, both as a means of making a point and as a rhetorical trick to inject a momentary burst of energy. But by the end of old Poona [the first ashram] he had sannyasins researching them for him, and he no longer made any attempt to 'tell' them; he just read out whole batches of them.... They were frequently quite filthy – racist, sexist, and unfunny... When you think how famous Osho was becoming, how people were crossing half-way round the world to hear him speak on 'spiritual' life, this barrage of diabolically unfunny dirty jokes was becoming something more than an oratorical device. The whole performance was bordering on Dada.... In retrospect you can see that Osho was already trying to undermine his own Church – to undermine the reflex of worship on which it was built. 'Will you make a religion out of my jokes?' he asked, in one of his lectures from early 1981. The answer, of course, was a resounding yes; - and the dirty jokes were to be no more than the first of a whole series of 'devices' on which he embarked, and which were designed to sabotage any attempt to make him spiritually – or socially – acceptable." (p. 121) This is all nicely rationalized by "Sam"/Paritosh, but the fuller truth is that Rajneesh/Osho, while undercutting himself on occasion, also found various ways (as we shall learn) to keep himself up on that pedestal as the "enlightened master," well above his kow-towing followers in spiritual status.

(Corboy Note: just google confusion technique and trance induction and see what comes up.)

..In the early 1980s I also saw a short film of excerpts from one of Rajneesh's talks, and was able to see first-hand his hypnotically slow, coy, seductive, and provocative manner of speech and body language, with his strange way of hissing like a snake the "s" sounds at the end of many of his words, and often widening his eyes into an intimidating glare.

and

A revealing overview of how Rajneesh ambitiously worked to attain his initial stage of fame—using hypnosis, sensationalism and outrage, and assorted other promotional and publicity-seeking techniques—comes from a team of ace reporters for The Oregonian newspaper in Parts 2 and 3 of their in-depth 20-part series commencing June 30, 1985 ("For Love & Money: Rajneesh—An Oregonian Special Report," by Les Zaitz, Jim Long & Scotta Callister, archived in full at www.oregonlive.com/rajneesh/index.ssf/rajneesh_story_archive.html). Here's a lengthy set of excerpts from this report, mostly the work of lead author Les Zaitz, who was targeted for assassination by the Rajneeshee "dirty tricks" cabal in 1985 after this series came out:

[From Part 2:] "Rammoo Shrivastava, a newspaperman who had met Rajneesh in Jabalpur, said the guru was an impressive speaker but he practiced hypnosis—a common orator's tool in India—and was not considered a spiritual authority in Jabalpur. 'What Rajneesh teaches in yoga and in meditation is Kindergarten One class,' he said. However, Shrivastava said Rajneesh became the darling of the relatively well-to-do Jaina community. Rajneesh's parents were adherents of the Jaina religion, a sect with strict rules about asceticism. Shrivastava linked Rajneesh's popularity to his teachings that rejected taboos and absolved guilt. 'He knew what the rich people want,' Shrivastava said. 'They want to justify their guilty consciences, to justify their guilty acts.'

[Elsewhere, the reporters quote a former disciple: "Rajneesh gives you the opportunity to sin like you've never sinned before. Only he doesn't call it sin," ex-sannyasin John Ephland wrote in an article for the Spiritual Counterfeits Project of Berkeley, Calif. "The path to desirelessness is desire."]

"Rajneesh also gained a Romeo's reputation in Jabalpur. 'That's why his character was suspect—his activities, his movements among the girls,' Shrivastava said.

"But Rajneesh's other activities seemed calculated to advance his career as a lecturer. He took breaks and university leave to go on tour, building his reputation outside Jabalpur. Friends and family members said he traveled by rail or by car, often with supplies of written materials to distribute [and promote his own name]. [...] Rajneesh traveled frequently to the big city—Bombay, a seaport of nearly 7 million people that lay 560 miles southwest of Jabalpur. [Easier here to amass the really big crowds.]

"Along the way, he recruited several Jaina businessmen to support his fledgling movement. They formed Jeevan Jagruti Kendra, the forerunner of the Rajneesh Foundation, in 1965 to finance the guru's activities, freeing him from the need to collect academic paychecks. Rajneesh selected the trust's name, which translates as 'Life Awakening Center.'

"One of his early supporters in Bombay was Ishverlal N. Shah, who first heard the guru speak in 1963 and took the sannyasin name Ishver Samarpan in 1967. Rajneesh stayed with the Shah family on several occasions and eventually asked Samarpan to work in the movement. Today, Samarpan runs the Aum Rajneesh Meditation Centre, as well as his own exporting and construction businesses [...]. Over the years, Samarpan bore witness to Rajneesh's driven pace [full of ambition]. He recalled the guru's lecturing as many as five times a day and then talking with students late into the night. 'He would go to bed at one in the morning. He told my wife, "If anyone comes to inquire, please get me up,"' Samarpan said. Samarpan and others bought billboard space and newspaper ads to promote the guru.

"Rajneesh began speaking at meditation camps across the Indian countryside in 1964 and resigned from the university in 1966 [some say that the university fired him] to concentrate on his lecturing. Although he liked playing to crowded lecture halls and parks, he didn't forgo smaller audiences. Friends said he addressed any local Rotary Club or other group that would have him.

"Rajneesh relished controversy, which brought larger crowds to hear him and attracted Indian news media attention. Himmatlal H. Joshi, an early follower who is not related to Rajneesh's biographer, Vasant Joshi, said Rajneesh kept track of newspaper and magazine coverage—just as his press office does in Oregon today—and noted the play given a story or picture. 'He knew how to pose for photographers,' said [one editor]."

[From Part 3 of the article series:]

"Word spread through lecture tours and meditation camps, advertised on billboards and in local newspapers, and his following grew. On a 1967 trip to Baroda, a city of 467,000 that was 220 miles north of Bombay in the Western Indian state of Gujarat, Rajneesh attracted the attention of Chandrakant N. Patel, who later took the sannyasin name Chandrakant Bharti. Bharti, the owner of a handicraft shop and now operator of the Sanjay Rajneesh Meditation Center in Baroda, claimed credit for introducing ticket sales to Rajneesh lectures. He said that Rajneesh, concerned primarily with drawing large crowds, worried at first that the proposed one-rupee fee would scare off customers. Bharti reassured Rajneesh, however, saying, 'This is my experiment in how to get money.' The experiment succeeded, filling 1,000 seats. Soon, Rajneesh would be lecturing for two rupees a head in Bombay, then five rupees a head in Poona, Bharti recalled."

---------

And so we learn that Rajneesh became notable for his clearly narcissistic drive to be seen and heard by as many people as possible; his trendy, heavily cathartic meditation camps for rich, upper-class Indians; his attention-getting, over-generalizing diatribes against Gandhi, Mother Teresa, orthodox religion, convention, repression, socialism, etc.; and his saucy, racy talk about sexual openness, love, the need for "a new explosion in you, an explosion of joy," "total freedom," "the mysterious presence," "dynamic meditation," "the esoteric 'Ashoka nine' group working behind the scenes," "my special way of working with you," etc. His first major book, a Hindi work released in 1968, was provocatively titled Sambhog Se Samadhi Ki Aor, or, as it was translated in its English edition, From Sex to Superconsciousness—the word "Sex" deliberately intended to create notoriety and draw attention to himself. He confessed that he often liked to stir up controversy, "even if just for fun."

Rajneesh may have earlier attained a certain fearless nonchalance much of the time, and this served him well whenever he would stir up the public with his outrageous statements. But this is not necessarily full enlightenment—many sociopaths also operate from an evident "fearlessness." Rajneesh, as we shall see, was not desireless or in peaceful contentment, and still had lots of egoic attachments and colossally selfish ambitions.

Before proceeding further with his biography, I should pause to further consider the controversial "Dynamic Meditation" and other "chaotic" or "active" meditations that he put together for his followers. For instance, a day with Rajneesh started early in the morning with everyone gathering to perform the intense "Dynamic Meditation", involving a heavy aerobic workout and even heavier arousal of the nervous system and subconscious mind: 10 minutes of aggressive, nonrhythmic, rapid and dissociative hyperventilationist bellows-breathing accompanied by vigorous movements; 10 minutes of Rajneesh's recommended "going totally mad" cathartic emotional venting (crying, screaming, moaning, laughing, singing, etc.), accompanied by vigorous pumping, jumping, jerking, shaking movements; 10 minutes of loud shouting as deeply as possible of the old Sufi syllable "Hu! Hu! Hu!" (in the original version it was "Who am I? Who am I?") while jumping up and down as vigorously as possible, "letting the sound hammer deep into the sex center," as Rajneesh always urged; then flopping down and staying in complete stillness when the command is given, calmly and meditatively observing whatever can be observed in oneself for 15 minutes. (Near the end of this webpage former disciple Calder explains how, evidently by around 1974, Rajneesh had made some very unfortunate, dangerous changes to the Dynamic Meditation routine such as keeping the arms up in stages 3 & 4, which made it torturously uncomfortable and even medically precarious for persons with undiagnosed heart conditions.) Several other meditations which were invented, borrowed, or pieced-together from other traditions by Rajneesh likewise strongly emphasized vigorous initial movement—shaking, jumping, dancing, whirling—followed by a calm phase. By the mid-1970s, a faithful follower of Rajneesh would be cumulatively spending nearly an hour a day in such required states of hyper-arousal or intensive physical and emotional self-stimulation. (In the "Mystic Rose" meditation he created in the late 1980s, a person was to spend three hours daily for one entire week laughing, then one entire week crying for three hours daily before spending a week calmly witnessing the body-mind. His "No Mind" meditation invented around the same time involved ten minutes nightly in forcibly speaking gibberish while "going completely crazy" before a 20-minute witnessing period.)

An important question to be raised here is this: what are the long-term effects on a Rajneeshee sannyasin's nervous system, hormonal system, and physical organs in having to perform such unnaturally aggressive manipulation of his/her organism (i.e., the shaking, jerking, and hyperventilating bellows-breathing) for such a substantial amount of time each day in these "chaotic" or "dynamic" meditations? The same could be asked about the sannyasin's deep psyche and subtle energy field under the relentless daily emotional catharsis that Rajneesh demanded of his people. Critics of the various forms of "Primal Scream" therapy, for instance, have charged that, by so frequently engaging in and indulging one's anger and hostility, one insidiously conditions oneself to become a really angry, hostile person. In other words, excessive and repeated catharsis of disturbed emotions will only tend to make one even more prone to suffering from those emotional complexes. Likewise, when Rajneesh in several of his daily meditations encourages people to "go totally crazy, completely mad" in the cathartic phase of the meditation, one wonders if he primarily succeeded in creating a lot of really crazy disciples? The extensive record over the years of Rajneeshee crime, violence, immorality, deceit and rampant display of Freudian defense mechanisms against anxiety (denial, rationalization, projection, identification, reaction formation, etc.) leads one to suspect that the guru who fancied himself the world's greatest psychotherapist really did NOT know what he was doing to his trusting followers. Worth bearing in mind as we continue our tale of Rajneesh and his supposedly wonderful "new, true religion"....

Such is the person from whom MG reportedly learned his 'chops'.

Current Page: 49 of 55

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.