Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How to use this forum
Posted by: zenon ()
Date: November 04, 2007 09:08AM

With a message board the size of this one and thousands of users, comes the inevitable stream of technical support questions. I can't log in, please help me; my posting didn't show up; my PM mailbox says it's full even after I deleted some messages; I lost my password, please mail it to me... No matter to whom these questions are sent, they always end up in the inbox of the sysadmin - that's yours truly - who ends up spending more time doing helpdesk than system administration. Therefore, this forum was created to allow users to help each other while at the same time building a sort of permanent FAQ that can be of help to the next person with the same question.

Any technical question, problem, suggestion and wish about this message board is on-topic here. Everything else is off-topic, including cult-related discussions.

Before submitting a question, please go through the existing postings and make sure that your question hasn't already been answered. If you find a possible solution, try it first. If it doesn't work for you, note the results and mention them in your help request.

When submitting a new question, please create a new topic with a very specific subject. Remember, the subject line is what others will see when they search for an answer to their problems. Then proceed to describe your problem in detail and be specific, very, very specific. Explain everything you did up to and including the point where you encountered the problem and all the (error or other) messages that you got back from the system. If you didn't make notes, replicate the problem and do make notes before you submit your question. Being fanatically pedantically specific in your report is the best way to get the right solution straight away.

Example of a crappy question that I will never bother to answer: "I can't log in, what can I do?"
Example of the same question properly phrased: "When I click on the 'Log In' link at the top of the main index page, I am taken to a page that asks for my user name and password. No matter how many times I enter them correctly, the system always replies 'wrong username or password'. I checked CAPS LOCK and it's not on. I also tried retrieving my password with the 'lost password' link on the same page, but I did not receive the e-mail that the system said it sent me. And yes, I did check my spam folder, the mail wasn't there either."

When you post about login problems, keep in mind that this forum is public. Never post your password. Avoid posting e-mail addresses, lest you want the spammers to harvest them and spam you for time and eternity to come. If you really need to post an e-mail address, spell it out in the format <name AT domain DOT org> so the bots can't read it.

Before you post an answer to another user's problem, see if you can replicate his problem and verify that your answer is correct. Of course it's not always possible to replicate other people's problems, e.g. if they can't log in and you can, but sometimes you might be able to spot a mistake the other user made if you try to follow his tracks.

Unlike the rest of the board, non-registered and non-logged in users can post on this forum (otherwise it would be impossible to ask for help with registration and login problems). However, if you are a spammer thinking that you just got lucky, I have to disappoint you: all postings are pre-moderated, so your spam won't make it. Sorry, hope you have better luck elsewhere.

Zenon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 10:59AM by zenon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to use this forum
Posted by: Bert Clanton ()
Date: August 25, 2009 08:43AM

I received an email this morning, informing me that my Cult Education Forum account has been approved. Assuming that this means that I can now post to the Forum, I attempted to do so. But when I did, I got a return message saying again that I can't post until I register.

What am I doing wrong?

Bert Clanton

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: September 01, 2009 08:59AM

To whom it may concern:

You should be very careful sending any personal messaging to Bert Clanton as he is a 20-year devoted participant and intern at HAI.

Anything disclosed to him could potentially be shared with HAI.

Don't disclose anything you would not want anyone to know.

Bert comes across as little more than an apologist and the last post he made pretty much confirms that.

When people avoid public discussion in preference to private messaging at this board, in my experience that means they are here to subvert the thread.

If Bert does anything through private messaging that upsets anyone please let me know.

Posted by: Kaleidoscope ()
Date: September 04, 2009 07:42AM

I can't find instructions on how to edit my post. I understand I only have 30 minutes to do so.

Date: September 04, 2009 08:13PM

Look immediately below the post for an "edit" selection to click on.

Posted by: help ()
Date: November 27, 2009 01:44AM

greetings I cant login it says that my account is inactive or doesnt exist can you help thankyou

Date: November 27, 2009 02:25AM

Go over this message board and try to find the information you need.

Posted by: kelly W ()
Date: May 05, 2010 06:38AM

I am a former Christadelphian and have been disfellowshipped w in the last 6 months. I had a relationship w a separated man. ( I am widowed). All of my 3 sons have been raised in this ecclesia. They have been told to shun me by members of the group, and even by my very own brother. It has been brutal. When I attend, I am shunned and if I don't attend for a while, i am ladened w guilt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly

Posted by: jeffsjo ()
Date: August 28, 2010 11:13PM

I hope you've received some help by now Kelly W.!

If not please feel free to pm me, but even though I'm new here I'm fairly certain there is/was plenty of folks willing to give you some good suggestions.

Date: March 04, 2011 06:35AM

Username: hal jordan
I received the following email 2/23/2011:

To validate your Cult Education Forum account, please click on the URL
below.
[forum.culteducation.com]
Once verified, you can login to Cult Education Forum at
[forum.culteducation.com]

Thanks, Cult Education Forum

when I clicked it said - Sorry, there was an error verifying your account. Please make sure you used the entire URL included in the email you received.
I tried again, I tried to copy&paste, tried to log in, reguest new password - (twice). nothing.

when I tried to send this message, this popped up-
The email address you entered is listed with a currently registered user. If you are that user, please login. Otherwise, please use another email address.
so I'm sending by thru a different email account.

Username: hal jordan

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.