Re: Struthers Memorial Independent Pentecostal Church
Posted by: blackwatch ()
Date: March 21, 2024 06:19PM

I didn't think the point of this forum was to debate Struthers being a cult or not. If you've got to ask the question, you've likely already answered it. It may not fit the criteria of some of the more extreme cult examples but it absolutely is (or at least has been) a cult.

Looking back now with informed and educated eyes and a whole different spehere of experience I am deeply sceptical of anyone who has the desire to stand on a stage and claim they can impart knowledge from God. That scepticism multiplies when the individual maintains they have special insight and in particular, they have anything to say about anyone else's 'holiness' or standard of living. There is no special knowledge, there is no insight, there is no gift. It's a delusion.

Do you know what history shows us? Absolutely impeccably? People of this type are almost always not the real deal. They do not live up to the standards that they hold others to and often are indulging in worse. What they do have is a sense of theatre and the desire to 'perform'. Many absolutely do enjoy the power and the way they can influence others - it becomes intoxicating. By believing that these individuals DO have a special gift, many otherwise good and rational people subject themselves and so the situation is perpetuated.

The most obvious and clear-cut example that I witnessed first-hand was that of Hugh Black. A gluttonous, ruinous food-addict given to extreme excess - all in plain sight. He was however a talented orator / performer and therefore able to maintain the illusion. He held others though to standards that he himself could not and in fact, would not meet. People, in their droves, subjected themselves to this man's 'teaching'. A charlatan, a swindler and snake-oil salesman. Incredible.

Modern day computers have what's called a 'firewall'. It's a filter that stops bad information getting into your system including other computers that would try and control yours. It challenges the information, ruthlessly, at the point of entry. As humans, we need to do the same.

Be suspicious of anyone that wants to tell you what to wear, where to go on holiday, how to pray, how to worship, what God 'wants', what music to listen to, how to cut your hair, who to marry, what holiness means or looks like whether to drink alcohol or not and just how to live your life in general. Almost always these people are living their lives as they please whilst telling others how to live theirs. It's vile and abusive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 21, 2024 06:22PM

Rainbow, you come across as a decent and thoughtful person. I certainly would be interested in hearing more of your story as and when you feel ready.

Whilst I respect your viewpoint, I do, I'm afraid take a much harsher view these days and do want to see individuals held to account for their behavior and actions.

Date: March 21, 2024 07:38PM

I follow this forum, and watch with a keen interest as to what every person has to say whether that is against SMC or in support.

From my view point, I came here seeking others who had experienced difficulties while at SMC.

I know that the damage I suffered still impacts me day to day, I cannot even go to the shops without a rogue thought hoping I don’t bump into any of the SMC members.

The feeling of shame that they manage to hold over you is something that really ought to be known to them. I’d love every member to feel the pain that they inflict on leavers, to truly understand the impact of their lack of care can have on people they once considered family and friends.

I for one know that there have been awful acts carried out on young people at Cumbernauld, not just through personal experience but from family accounts of sexual abuse.

Which when it was brought to the surface resulted in leadership treating others with fear of the same happening again. The young people of SMC should be protected, not from other young people sharing their experiences but by the possessiveness of the leadership.

It is a relief to me knowing that their youth work seems to have petered out. In Cumbernauld when I was growing up, they were in Primary Schools. Selling their youth club as a fun and exciting Friday night, no revelation to the kids, or in fact the parents on what that youth club may have led to. I had friends who only attended a handful of clubs before running off traumatised.

The fact these leaders use their links with local schools to sell this perfect picture, terrifies me. Who vetted the clubs? Who vetted their ‘sales pitch’ and who checked in on the children who went along for months, then dropped off the face of the planet after their ‘promotion’ to teens.

So many wrongs there, so much trauma, so much damage.

Date: March 21, 2024 08:03PM

I am genuinely sorry to hear of your condition Free@Last_sometimes. I hope in time you can find a way to heal from that damage.

I'm also horrified to hear of allegations of sexual abuse. I hope those involved were brought to justice.

What really bothers me is that none of this is really taken seriously - none of the pain, the hurt, the damage, the trauma. It's denied or shunned and many a blind eye has been turned. We can only hope that with the church in financial crisis, we're seeing the beginning of the end. . .

Date: March 21, 2024 08:08PM

To my knowledge, the perpetrator faced time in prison, but it was never spoken about, all brushed under the carpet, I only know due to my closeness with one of the families involved.

Just so happens the incident involved a number of key church families, all inter related in some way.

That’s another very strange occurrence within SMC, they all end up marrying each other. You are very hard pressed to find a lifetime member who hasn’t married another lifetime member of the church.

The perfect way to create cliques and ostracise those who weren’t brought up within SMC. I always remember friends from other branches of SMC think that Cumbernauld was worse than the rest for this, but you see it in every branch if you only look at it with open eyes.

Posted by: Rainbow ()
Date: March 21, 2024 08:17PM

Thank you. I find comfort in reading other experience. Realising I was not and am not alone.

I hope to share my story and experience. If the church was now closed and this was history I would continue to work on myself, heal and get better. However the church continues, and that is a frightening thought.

Date: March 21, 2024 08:21PM

Absolutely terrible, shameful business.

Your observations re marriage are spot on. It's fairly typical though of organisations like this - keep it all on the inside.

One thing that genuinely perplexes me is this:

I can understand why, in the past, certain enigmatic / charismatic leaders have ended up in a position of authority and high regard. What I don't understand is why this exists in the current leadership. There's not a single speaker that's any more than unremarkable amongst them. And in fact, some of them are genuinely poor. I don't understand why people subject themselves to this week in week out.

Date: March 21, 2024 08:38PM

I for one appreciate you sharing and I'm sure many other do too.

I know for a fact there are others who read the forum but don't post. Perhaps in time they too will find the courage to share.

Posted by: Rainbow ()
Date: March 21, 2024 08:41PM

I am sorry for what you have been through.

I also find the marriage situation very odd. I believe many of them have been arranged marriages and unwanted by the individuals. I would be concerned that if the behaviour continues that couples of the future could end up being related.

I was a student when I attended; vulnerable and away from home. I have no children of my own but I look at my friends children and can’t imagine how anyone would think it is acceptable to treat them the way that many young people in struthers were and are treated.

I was taken away many times by individual leaders to be spoken to in a private room. Does that kind of behaviour still happen? Should it happen?

One very upsetting situation was being advised by a leader that I should self harm in order to resist the temptation of doing something. She said this was advice herself and Miss Black were given by Miss Taylor. For many years I believed this to be normal behaviour. I have scarring as a result. A life long reminder of what I experienced.

I have many sad, real and frightening stories of my time there. I believe they try to strip your life away so that you become dependant on them. If you obey and do all that is asked of you they will find you accommodation, a husband or wife, private school education for your children and a job. There is an inner circle that have achieved this elite status. At one time I dreamt of achieving that; now I thank God that I didn’t make the cut it and was asked to leave.

Not all parents of children at the school pay for their education themselves. Many come as offerings/gifts from church members.

I read that a lot of you live with shame, fear of bumping into current members of the church. Sadly I have this too. I was made to believe ghat I was one of life’s failures, with no hope of a future or living on the highest path that God had for me. I was constantly encouraged to look at my life and find deeper things to change and ask forgiveness for. I’m sure there was one leader who claimed she could see demons just by looking in our eyes. I lived in fear. It’s very sad that this continues.

Overall, on the surface struthers memorial display behaviours of holiness, they preach it and claim to live that life. This is not the behaviour of many, many church members. Many who are very much part of the inner circle. Speaking from the platform, leading children’s meetings. Stories of adultery, bullying, violence, abuse, drug taking and alcohol.

I am not passing my judgement here. I am just sharing that, as many of you have already said, it is not what it seems.

Posted by: Daisy69 ()
Date: March 21, 2024 10:09PM

Hi rainbow
It’s important you share, it can save others getting sucked in, to the same robotic ministry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.