Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodge
Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: January 29, 2011 12:26AM

Re: James Arthur Ray - 2 die at Arizona retreat's sweat lodgeApparently, Death Ray's lawyers are trying to stop Rick Ross from testifying at his trial:

[blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Yakaru ()
Date: January 29, 2011 03:35AM

So far Ray's lawyers have tried to get the trial moved out of Yavapai, exclude probably more than three quarters of the witnesses for the prosecution, exclude all mention of the accidents and dangerous planning of previous sweat lodges, exclude all mention of Ray's actions leading up to the sweat lodge, exclude evidence relating to Ray's actions immediately after the sweat lodge, exclude mention of Ray's finances and financial practices, tried to avoid handing over the audio tapes of the talk Ray gave to participants immediately before the lodge (they now have to hand over all tapes), and exclude Rick Ross and an expert in risk management for outdoor adventure-type events.

I'm sure I missed a few.

Interestingly Rhonda Byrne's new book The Power has this in the acknowledgments:

"My deepest thanks to Brad Brian (sic) and Luis Li at Munger Tolles for their guidance and expertise, for being a living example of integrity and truth, and for bringing positivity into my life."

Those guys seem to have found a pretty good niche market.

Re: James Arthur Ray -
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: January 29, 2011 03:44AM

One can be sure that just trying to create the biggest mess possible, and thus a mistrial, is job #1.

Date: February 05, 2011 06:49AM

Now the defense is asking for the venue to be changed to a different locale for the trial:

[www.myfoxphoenix.com]

I love the photo on the article of James Ray. Not so happy now in his prison garb, is he?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 06:51AM by Sparky.

Date: February 05, 2011 07:58AM

That looks like a serious loss for the prosecution.
The judge ruled that just because others were reported to be hurt at previous near-death lodges, but no one died that he knows of, then so what?
What about Colleen Conaway?

But this is why the LGAT Gurus are so aggressive, and they don't care, and will do basically anything to people to make their millions. They know that as long as people don't die right during the seminar on videotape by their direct cause, in reality they can get away with basically anything.

------------------------------
[www.myfoxphoenix.com]
QUOTE:
"Prosecutors called a handful of witnesses, who testified that Ray largely ignored participants who were throwing up, shaking violently and disoriented. Defense attorneys argued that many of the participants weren't trained in the medical field and, therefore, couldn't diagnose anyone's condition.

In his ruling, Darrow said prosecutors showed that Ray conducted years of sweat lodge ceremonies in a similar fashion and that participants exhibited signs of mental and physical distress. But he said there were no substantial medical evidence to show that any of the participants suffered life-threatening conditions.

"Assuming that the defendant was aware of the various signs and symptoms associated with pre-2009 participants, this knowledge would not constitute notice that he allegedly was subjecting these participants to a substantial and unjustifiable risk of death," Darrow wrote.

Evidence of prior acts generally isn't admissible at trial, but exceptions can be made."

Posted by: Yakaru ()
Date: February 05, 2011 09:01AM

It's certainly a set back and really infuriating. But there is still plenty of evidence against Ray. It's just not the slam dunk it would have been had common sense prevailed. There are still a couple of motions pending, including one to try and exclude all mention of Ray's actions right up to the beginning of the sweat lodge, and immediately after the end.

If they get that through, it will be a pretty hopeless situation, but there are promising signs, I think. (But I'm no lawyer.) The court did allow the audio tapes of the meeting Ray held immediately before the sweat lodge, with the judge citing it as superior to witness testimony, and even forcing JRI to hand over all recordings from the entire event. The jury, if it hears it, will hear Ray informing participants the sweat lodge will be hotter than hell, that they will feel they are "going to die", but "will not die"; instructing them to expect and ignore symptoms like vomiting and passing out; and that if they pass out, they will be cared for.

And at least all that information the prosecution gathered about Ray's disgraceful practices is now in the public arena, even if it won't be heard in court.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: February 05, 2011 10:15AM

Here is the court paper that summarises the 'prior acts' that have been excluded--- the litany of injuries and Colleen's death that were ignored in favour of raking in more participants and the big bucks is mind-boggling.
Had this evidence been included I think it would be a very short trial indeed.

[apps.supremecourt.az.gov]

Date: February 05, 2011 01:12PM

Obviously the legal system is all technical stuff, but its frankly disgusting that witness testimony from employees and those involved previously who were hurt will be excluded. The judge sent a clear message to other LGAT seminar Gurus that they can do anything they want to people, as long as they get away with it.
That is why the public has to learn what is really going on with these dangerous LGAT seminars.
But who knows, perhaps the prosecution will be able to use those witnesses in other ways?

On the other hand, its probably related to how a person can only be tried for the crime you are charged with. Apparently prior acts are usually excluded, but as others have said, now those prior acts are on the public record.
[apps.supremecourt.az.gov]
The death of Colleen Conaway is now on record, as well as all those other injuries.

Who knows, depending on what happens with this, maybe other older cases can be reopened?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 01:14PM by The Anticult.

Posted by: Penelope ()
Date: February 07, 2011 07:29AM

I just reconnected with the woman to took me to my first and only free James Ray seminar in 2006 or 2007 (honestly can't remember or maybe purposely blocked it out) and she is still a James Ray fan. Should I say anything? I never know what to do in these situations, I don't want to come across as obnoxious or a wet blanket. She's an incredibly sweet person.

I have to share this quote by Carl Sagan because I come across this mentality all the time with people who support New Age scam artists and nut cases and want to prove their genius: 'Well, they laughed at Galileo!":

"...the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
--Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 07:30AM by Penelope.

Date: February 10, 2011 02:21AM

More on Death Ray's efforts to get his Arizona Sweat Lodge trial moved to the valley:

[www.azcentral.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.