Current Page: 15 of 18
Re: Fake Tibetan Buddhist Lamas - Do you know any "Wolves in Lama's Robes
Posted by: LaurenRose ()
Date: March 25, 2015 05:31AM

From the Laura Miller article:
Certainly, Roach preaches a load of mumbo jumbo, expertly calibrated to flatter and soothe the mostly affluent clients he seeks. Of special appeal to such fat cats as Michael Gordon, founder of the Bumble and Bumble line of beauty products, is Roach’s claim that success in one’s current life is clearly a reward for good deeds in the past. Karma, it seems, isn’t always a bitch. Although most Tibetan Buddhists consider it ludicrous to mix their faith with yoga and the worship of Hindu deities, the result is a highly marketable version of what could be called “spa Buddhism,” peddled in fancy resorts and wellness centers to wealthy clients who want to feel spiritual without making any uncomfortable alterations to their material circumstances. By continuing to present himself in monk’s robes while celebrating his bond with McNally (at one point the couple vowed never to be more than 15 feet apart), Roach even managed to fold the secular American religion of True Love into the mix. As he taught it, the Tibetan ideal of “emptiness” could be attained without having to give up any of your stuff.

This is very telling...when the spiritual message changes to appeal to a greater audience who doesn't want to sacrifice their own beliefs and desires. They want comfort, they want love, they want all their material goods, but they want to see themselves and others to see them as deep and spiritual.

Haha..be spiritual and empty but keep all your stuff. That sounds great! No wonder this kind of path is so fleeting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Otto Wagner ()
Date: March 27, 2015 03:42PM

Lauren Rose--

Very fleeting indeed... The followers never last long if they don't go nuts, and the so-called 'gurus' themselves never last either....either get caged up, killed, or something crazy happens to them. You wouldn't think it'd be too hard to sense that things aren't quite right when you walk into a circle of individuals like this, living low and playing high at the same time. Like you said...'spiritual' and empty... Definitely a sad life!

Posted by: LaurenRose ()
Date: March 31, 2015 02:05AM

Any time I hear about Buddhist teachings or retreats or schools or anything , the first thing that comes to my mind with a big question mark is....don't Buddhists believe that we are all nothing? Isn't that the core of their beliefs? Not-self is one of their 3 core pillars.

And so, WHO are they teaching, WHO are they holding retreats for, WHY bother with any of it, if we are all nothing? The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. If they say they are teaching people about Buddhism out of compassion, WHO are they compassionate towards? Right? As far as I know, all branches of Buddhism believe in a lack of inherent existence.

If we are all nothing and we need to meditate and we realize that we don't exist and we are all part of some kind of void...why bother teaching? Wouldn't that be considered a waste of time or contrary to their own belief system? How do they rationalize having retreat centers and schools or doing any kind of outreach when that is the core of their belief system? Does anyone know?

Posted by: Otto Wagner ()
Date: April 02, 2015 02:52PM

That's interesting that yo brought that up, LaurenRose..

For years and years now I have talked to people all over the place who call themselves Buddhists, or say that they hold a Buddhist believe. One thing that pretty much all of them have in common across the board no matter where they're from, is that, when asked what the ultimate goal of Buddhism is, they all give a very blurry answer.... Some say it's to become nothing, or to stop existing, or to become everything, everywhere, but most really just don't have an answer that they feel sure about. And like you are saying, the people who do give me some kind of an answer are all saying essentially the same thing--to become nothing. The people who are saying to become everything is not saying anything different....becoming nothing and becoming everything are essentially the same, which is to completely obliterate individual existence.

Based on this wacky philosophy, no wonder 'wolf' gurus can justify at least in their own crazed minds that they can do anything they want and not have to be responsible for their actions, because ultimately the goal is to become nothing, so there will not be any individuality, hence no individual responsibility. They are in this total illusion that because they don't exist, or won't exist any more, that there will not be any consequences from their own individual actions which they would need to bear.

What an Ordinary Google Search Reveals
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 03, 2015 11:40PM

But sometimes our affection for the Dalai Lama seems strangely close to the way my 3-year-old son feels about Barney.

And like all infatuations, there are downsides, usually in the form of unreasonable expectations. Which brings me to my hate mail.

[www.google.com]

Some websites
Date: May 05, 2015 06:28AM

General search

[www.google.com]

[info-buddhism.com]

[reason.com]

Comments following the second article

[reason.com]

Some of the more interesting comments

The Gobbler|7.28.10 @ 2:19PM|#

" But what is striking, and what caused me to be so startled by the weirdness, is the way in which this religion has come to be viewed in Western New Age circles as a peaceful, pure, happy-clappy cult of softly-smiling, Buddha-like beings."

I would contend that this is because the bulk of "Buddhists" in the US are influenced by what author Meera Nanda calls neo-Hinduism "the brand of Hinduism that is taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, Deepak Chopra, and their clones, not Tibetan Buddhism.

Think the Beatles and the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi circa 1968.

Tman|7.28.10 @ 2:43PM|#

If you haven't seen Unmistaken Child I would highly recommend it. There are parts of that movie that touch on what Mr. O'Neill is referring to in this article in terms of the not-so-calm-and-peaceful aspects of Tibetan Buddhism.

There are a few scenes wherein the four year old that has been chosen as the reincarnation of a deceased Lama is basically abducted by the monks so that he can fulfill his destiny.

There are clearly mixed feelings present among the parents as the child is taken away, for several reasons. Obviously they are "honored" that their child has been chosen, but the father talks of how this means they have one less man in the fields to help feeding the village and mother is clearly upset about losing her child.

One gets the feeling that the family is not entirely down with the program, but due to peer pressure has to go along with the whole thing.

The movie definitely does a good job of making you question the omniscience of the monks themselves.

Raven Nation|7.28.10 @ 10:01PM|#

And, if you don't have time for the movie, watch the "King of the Hill" where the monks come to town & think Bobby is the next incarnation

Corboy: Wikipedia summary of the King of the Hill episode referred to above

[en.wikipedia.org]

Voton|7.29.10 @ 10:22AM|#

Quite right. American Buddhists will never truly realize the dharma as long as they cling to their hippy-dippyness. It always amuses the shit out of me when they're all hurt and disappointed when ol' Grampy Lama, the former absolute theocratic ruler of Tibet, turns out to be a bit right-wing.
M Whitney|8.2.10 @ 9:38PM|#

Good for you with your clear eyed report on Tibetan Buddhism. You might have mentioned the observations of the author of "Seven Years in Tibet". I was struck by the accounts of authoritarian monks who would club the insuffieciently pious with wooden staves. Not up to Taliban standards but there is certainly a common theme.

AnaV|3.20.14 @ 7:55PM|#

Women are treated VERY badly in Tibetan circles. They have no place, in a room, in a house, in a temple. Many have to carry the babies of so-called celibate lamas, also nuns. Imagine the impact! There are also those who pose as the sister of a so-called celibate lama (very high ones) but are, in fact, the hidden wife! Some of these also have to sleep with other lamas, get pregnant, and have to give away their babies (I had a very famous one in my house in India begging me for the pill).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 06:52AM by corboy.

Re: Some websites
Posted by: Misstyk ()
Date: May 05, 2015 11:18AM

The Gobbler|7.28.10 @ 2:19PM|#

" But what is striking, and what caused me to be so startled by the weirdness, is the way in which this religion has come to be viewed in Western New Age circles as a peaceful, pure, happy-clappy cult of softly-smiling, Buddha-like beings."

I would contend that this is because the bulk of "Buddhists" in the US are influenced by what author Meera Nanda calls neo-Hinduism "the brand of Hinduism that is taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, Deepak Chopra, and their clones, not Tibetan Buddhism.

Think the Beatles and the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi circa 1968.

It's important to keep in mind that the Beatles walked out on the Maharishi to protest his rape of Mia Farrow, who was there at the same time they were. According to them, he was stunned and bewildered that they were leaving. John later wrote a couple of songs about the Maharishi: "Sexy Sadie", and "Nowhere Man".

So we can see that the sexual abuse of women that has become almost a hallmark of Tibetan Buddhism was present even at that early stage in the 60's.

Date: May 06, 2015 09:55PM

Sexy Sadie

[www.beatlesbible.com]

Meera Nanda descriptions and assessment of neo Hinduism

A Critical Look at Neo Hinduism and Spiritual Fads

[nirmukta.com]

When a Great Tradition Hinduises - The God Market

[old.himalmag.com]

If a lama or rinpoche asks for aid to Nepal...
Date: May 13, 2015 05:43AM

Utilize skillful means. Find out what chance there is
that your money will actually reach those who need it
and not be diverted into the pockets of corrupt officials.

Read here:

[forum.culteducation.com]

Warnings already being issued about Nepal aid scams

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 05:54AM by corboy.

Ram Bomjon, aka Palden Dorje - guard your money
Date: September 15, 2016 09:33PM

Buddha Boy - Nepal

[irregulartimes.com]

whereas Siddhartha Guatama cultivated such remarkable powers of meditation that girls engaged in erotic dancing and armies threatening him with violent death could not break his concentration, devotees of

Ram Bomjon complained that their guru’s meditation would be disturbed if anyone got within 15 feet of the boy, or if a medical doctor was allowed to examine Bomjon to determine that he was, in fact, not secretly taking in food or water.

When Siddhartha Gautama was attacked by the demon Mara, all Gautama did was to touch the earth with his finger to hold the Earth as his witness. When Ram Bomjon was teased by a passing villagers, Bomjon stood up, gathered his friends, and beat the villagers with sticks until they were bloody.

false buddha in nepalRam Bomjon’s supporters said that no one could watch him at night, and so no outsiders could know what the so-called Buddha Boy was doing after dark. Such efforts to prevent anyone from confirming the truth about the claims of Ram Bomjon’s magical powers led the government of Nepal to accuse Bomjon and his cadre of teenage followers of fraud. Just as the government was about to begin its investigation, Ram Bomjon got up from his daytime meditation pose, and declared that he would travel to a secret location in the forest, to continue his enlightenment efforts there.

Since that time, Ram Bahadur Bomjon has reappeared, now calling himself a bodhisatva, Palden Dorje, giving speeches about the realizations he has had as a result of his deep meditation. The odd thing is that these supposed realizations are the same old bits of Buddhist doctrine that have been preached for thousands of years, which Bomjon was taught as a child.

Now, admirers of Bomjon are reporting that, “the so-called ‘Buddha Boy’ has been sitting under a pipal tree in uninterrupted meditation since May of 2005. According to the set of people who surround and control access to Ram Bomjon, he asserted just before sitting down that he was entering into a six-year meditative state in order to attain enlightenment, a la the original Buddha Siddhartha Gautama”.

Anyone who has been following the facts of the Ram Bomjon case know that Bomjon has certainly not been engaged in uninterrupted meditation for six years straight. Ram Bomjon has been walking around, eating, preaching, and getting into fights.

These documented facts don’t seem to matter to people who believe in the magical powers of Ram Bomjon. They are so eager to have a mystical leader to place their trust in that they ignore reality and concoct increasingly absurd legends.

[www.google.com]

[irregulartimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2016 09:35PM by corboy.

Current Page: 15 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.