Allergy Cult Movie
Posted by: Oerlikon ()
Date: May 03, 2009 04:54AM

Does anyone know the name of the movie that deals with environmental pollutants/environmental allergies, where the woman went for treatment and the guy who ran the place had the people in treatment there, convinced that they had allergies or were affected by environmental/air pollutants? Her husband, I believe got her out, but it was a brain washing/mind control film. It might have been a made for TV movie.

Any help or leads are greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Allergy Cult Movie
Posted by: Christa ()
Date: May 03, 2009 07:10AM

I believe you mean Julianne Moore's movie "Safe." It's very good.

Date: May 03, 2009 07:50AM

Woohoo! That's it; I am so psyched! It's been driving me mad, trying to find this movie. Thanks, Christa!

Posted by: laarree ()
Date: May 03, 2009 08:57AM

"Safe" was brilliant. I couldn't help but think of my cult experience when I watched it in a movie theatre years ago when it first came out. Julianne Moore was also excellent in her other collaboration with director Todd Haynes, "Far from Heaven".

Date: May 03, 2009 09:08AM

Personally, I've never seen Safe. My friend and I were discussing what she remembered as "that allergy cult movie" but she couldn't remember the name of it. Now that we know its name, we ordered from NetFlix right away. Yay!

What are some other good "cult movies," that is, movies about mind control, cults, and related topics? There's The Village, The Truman Show, Swing Kids, The Beach, and now I add Safe. Also, there's Holy Smoke...what are some others that all of you may recommend?

I am asking for recommendations about movies, works of fiction, and not documentaries please?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2009 09:15AM by Oerlikon.

Date: May 03, 2009 09:18AM

The Stepford Wives, (duh), Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Pod People, what else...?

Date: May 03, 2009 09:55AM

Somebody recommended "Ticket to Heaven" to me recently. I've got some cult-related videos and DVDs in my collection that I haven't gotten around to watching: "Savage Messiah", a fictionalized account of a particularly nasty Quebecois cult leader and his multiple abused wives and children; "Banking on Heaven", a recent documentary about Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints; "Brainwash", a movie from c. 1983 only available used on VHS based on the non-fiction book "The Pit" by Gene Church, about a pre-est era LGAT offered to executives that humiliated its participants and supposedly was one of Werner Erhard's influences; and lastly, a documentary "Carlos Castaneda--Enigma of a Sorcerer", which is supposedly an exposé but didn't get great reviews on Amazon (as I said, I haven't watched it).

Date: May 09, 2009 03:51AM

So my friends and I watched Safe last night. I found it to be stark, understated and subtly disturbing. Very Kubrick-esque. Thanks again, Christa.

Safe was a good "cult movie", and I give it a thumbs up. Whatever they really doing there at Wrenwood reminded me a lot of something like Scientology, in the which the goal of their process is to acheive a state of "clear."

My favourite scene was the one in which Carol arrives at Wrenwood and first sees Peter Dunning. They all recite a type of Wrenwood Philosophy and sing a song, a song that I've been humming all day and cannot seem to get out of my head. And that staggering man, Lester, what was with him?

We are one with the power
that created us.

We are safe...

and all is well in our world.

Kind friends, all gathered 'round

There's something I would say

That what brings us together here

Has blessed us all today

Love has made a circle

That holds us all inside

Where strangers are as family

And loneliness can't hide

So give yourself to love

If love is what you're after

Open up your hearts to

The tears and laughter and

Give yourself to love

Give yourself to love

Date: May 09, 2009 04:10AM

Oerlikon
And that staggering man, Lester, what was with him?

I believe he was staggering from the enormous crippling rush of love he had opened himself up to. ;-)

Date: May 09, 2009 04:26AM

Lester is just...very, very afraid. Afraid to eat, afraid to breathe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.