Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dahn Yoga (Dahnhak), advice request
Posted by: pan ()
Date: September 29, 2004 06:48AM

There's this lovely yoga center in my neighborhood called Dahn Yoga Center. It's located in the midst of high-end retail stores. The facilities inside are clean and beautiful. It appears to be a very comfortable place to learn yoga.

The prices are high but not unfathomable. The center has attractive brochures and boasts centers all around the country. The people who work there are exceptionally sweet and deferring. They smile, bow, and hug. The students seem happy.

I decided to come for a free open session. The stretches felt good. Most of the exercises seemed legitamite. Some of the exercises seemed a little fruity to me, like tapping yourself incessantly or pretending to feel a ball of energy between your hands. But on balance I would say the open session was a good workout, and it even included a bit of massage. They rubbed my feet! How can I decline foot rubs! Plus, at the end they served nummy tea.

All of these things lend this yoga center credibility. It is marketed as a yoga boutique - the Starbucks or the Banana Republic of yoga.

So I joined the center for 3 months. Money has changed hands. They gave me a uniform. I've gone to a couple of classes, and so far it's ok.

Only one problem: it turns out it's a cult.

Some things about the center struck me as odd. Some of the behavior of the other students after the last class was unusual. So I did a google search on "Dahn" and found this website.

What bad luck! I was just looking for an exercise class. Yoga sounded so great.

Now, I'm pretty confident that I can resist any pressure tactics the instructors may use to try to get me to pay for special classes. As far as the financial aspect goes, I feel that the amount I paid is actually fair for the number of yoga classes I get for that money. Other yoga classes in the city where I live cost about the same.

I just don't know enough about the potential negative side to the practice of Dahn Yoga, so I'm looking for a bit of advice.

If I take this yoga center at face value, then it's worth my time and money. I can take these classes for the purpose of physical fitness and relaxation, and leave it at that. But if being a member of this center poses some danger to me that is invisible at this time, I'd like to know about it, because if I leave now I may be able to get some of my money back.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dervish ()
Date: October 01, 2004 01:19AM

I hope this hasn't turned you sour toward Yoga and the east. Due to the nature of submission to the preceptor, many unscrupulous individuals have taken advantage by amassing followers and using subtle manipulation techniques to take control of people and money. But we all feel suspicious when it's a bad situation, the bottom line is, we need to be informed when such ill cults are found.

Posted by: sooty ()
Date: April 13, 2005 02:10AM

Pan,
I am in exactly the same situation. I have been going for about a month. I actually went to the shim sung too! They really are a cult.
I don't know whether to walk away and forget the money, or keep going to the classes. But they really do pressure all the time to do extra. It takes the pleasure I used to feel at first totally away.
Also, is it too dangerous to even go just to the classes?

What did you end up doing?
sooty:)

Posted by: BuddyBear ()
Date: April 13, 2005 11:36AM

[b:ae2bf95ff1]Dahn is a cult!!!

[/b:ae2bf95ff1]They will take your time and then they will take your money. If you are very unlucky they will take your life like the one they took from Julia Siverls. Please do your research about this group. They will love bomb you into making some very bad decisions. They have one purpose and that is to make their founder Lee a very rich and powerful man. They use everyone and everything as tools toward this goal.

Please do your research. Be careful!!

Posted by: finnster ()
Date: April 14, 2005 03:13AM

[b:349487d13c]Stay away from Dahn Yoga!!![/b:349487d13c]

BuddyBear is absolutely right. I recently met a 17-year old who started taking classes which then quickly escalated into spending more money and time (not only going to classes, but also to rallies across the country, doing volunteer work for many hours a week, and late night sessions inducing sleep deprivation). His parents ended up intervening (with an exit counselor) when he started to find ways to obtain $10,000 to continue with Dahn yoga (as he was told this was what he had to do by senior members of Dahn yoga). He is one of the lucky ones to be extracted after being involved for several months.

Make sure you pose questions in this forum and as well as in "Freedom of Mind" forum at Yahoo groups ([groups.yahoo.com]) to find out more about these organizations.

Posted by: BuddyBear ()
Date: April 14, 2005 11:30AM

Do any of the Dahn masters mention that your out of pocket costs for enlightenment will be about $40-$50,000. This will be taken from you quite voluntarily over the course of about 4 years. This cost does not include you giving up your career and any benefits you may received from your company. It also does not include your out of pocket costs for using your car,gas, and other supplies voluntarily donated to the center or masters. They play a game of not understanding the language and culture, etc. This is a trick to manipulate its members. Dahn does not pay a fair salary and it does not offer any benefits. The money will go to purchase land in Sedona and maybe a new home or two for Lee. He has several already. They will also do their best to separate you from your family. Please research this organization on the web. They are comprised of about 103 companies. This may be a relationship to the amount of bows the members are required to do. One bow for each of Lee's companies.

This organization is not to be trusted.

Posted by: Lifestyle ()
Date: June 27, 2005 08:01AM

(Repost from Qigong Association board at [www.wholehealthclinic.com])

[b:62aa417e2f]IMPORTANT NOTICE [/b:62aa417e2f]

The 20-20 show (ABC tv news show) is exploring doing a tv story on Dahn . (Seung Heun "Ilchi" Lee)

Please read carefully.

Only reply if you have personally experienced or were an eye-witness to or have first-hand knowledge of particular events of significant concern (e.g. Julia Siverl's or anyone else's death, serious mind-control and persuasion or manipulation, green card marriages, illegal activities, sexual misconduct, etc, etc.)

[u:62aa417e2f]Please[/u:62aa417e2f] do not respond with just hearsay, something you heard, a story about a friend's experience, your suspicions or assumptions, minor concerns, just data or publications, etc.

Cryptic hints are not helpful.

[u:62aa417e2f]At this point, she needs to talk to "insiders" who are willing to talk to her.[/u:62aa417e2f]

[b:62aa417e2f]Email: emily.j.just@abc.com [/b:62aa417e2f][/size:62aa417e2f]

Posted by: yourmaster ()
Date: June 27, 2005 10:26AM

just more info on why you should never ever accept a leader, authority or guru.

This cult is just another scam to make someone rich.

Love,

YOURMASTRER :D

Posted by: chunjijedi ()
Date: August 04, 2006 01:22PM

Before you judge Dahn so hashly, please consider the fact that just about every possible organization with spiritual or otherwise idealistic objectives is listed here on this site. The meaning of the word "cult" has been watered down by Rick Ross to mean "any organization/ person/ idea/ that I don't particulary like." If you quit Dahn Yoga because of these hateful postings, you are truly a victim of our fear-based culture and the people who spend their time filling up blogs like this. People like this thrive on maliscious gossip and lies. Dahn is a fantastic program that truly works. Don't be such a fool to base your opinion on this bunk. For every one person that posts on these sites (most of whom have little or no Dahn training), there are a thousand happy practitioners. Try it for yourself and think for yourself.

Posted by: dwest ()
Date: August 04, 2006 03:28PM

I also hope this doesn't turn you off to yoga. My step-mother had a horrible experience with SRF. She went in expecting yoga. I learned from her experience and researched and found a good, non cult, yoga program.

I recommend you not return or have a friend meet you right afterward so you can prevent them from 'catching' you after class.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.