Current Page: 43 of 53
Re: Recovering from New Age Mumbo Jumbo
Posted by: whatevahs ()
Date: February 27, 2015 11:53AM

This reminds me of a famous saying, I think P.T. Barnum said it, "There's a sucker born every minute."

But perhaps it also could be said that a person's state of mind could contribute to how easily fooled they are, or are not.

Just as some people are more prone to hypnosis, or addictions, etc., I would venture to say that some people are more prone to being followers, and are more easily led, while others, are not.

Also, the more naive a person is (generally associated with youth, but not necessarily so,) the more gullible, the more easily led.

So there are certainly attributing factors to being deceived.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 27, 2015 10:03PM

whatevahs:

Let's not be too quick to engage in any sort of victim bashing.

The con man is to blame for running a scam not the victim.

All of us go through periods in life when we are having a rough time and are more vulnerable than we would normally be. Also people are often brought into questionable groups through deception and/or by friends, family a romantic interest--someone they trust.

Everyone is vulnerable to persuasion and influence techniques generally, otherwise there would be no advertising or political propaganda.

In my opinion people are most often tricked into joining questionable groups through deception and manipulation.

Posted by: jill w ()
Date: February 27, 2015 10:26PM

In our case the person (older and educated) was invited to a 4 day seminar by someone he trusted.

He came out with a new vocabulary, new friends (that really cared about him) and had promised to not read anything negative.

Then, when he was deprived of sleep they made him promise to keep in touch and pay for more.

We do what most people do now and we started to search the internet.

This website came up on a search.

The take away in our moment of panic was to STAY CALM and DO RESEARCH.

After reading thousands of stories we started to see a pattern and realized we too were affected by this scam of deception.

Someone posted somewhere that within 4 to 6 months the side effects would subside.

They did. He is back to normal vocabulary and has little contact.

At times he may even feel like he may have been taken but it's too embarrassing for him to admit so we stay quiet to help him save face

Thank you for this website!

Posted by: YeleneJbean ()
Date: February 27, 2015 11:34PM

whatevahs: "So there are certainly attributing factors to being deceived."

I agree. Some seem to be more easily influenced than other.

Posted by: whatevahs ()
Date: March 04, 2015 02:54AM

RRmoderator:

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was "victim bashing." That was not my intent.

Most predators prey by telling us what we want to hear, and we want to believe them, to trust them. But they are just lying. Listen to your heart, listen to your gut. If it's too good to be true, it's probably too good to be true.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Don't get fooled twice. Do your due diligence, do your homework. Pay attention.

Posted by: YeleneJbean ()
Date: March 27, 2015 06:28AM

Good points whatevahs. I agree. Listen to your heart.

Posted by: LaurenRose ()
Date: April 14, 2015 02:36AM

Reading Jill W's account makes me wonder about all the people that have given money, years of their lives, and everything to cults then get out but are too embarrassed to talk about it. I would guess there are lots.

I know a woman who spent most of her life in a Christian cult and cut off her family. The leader was having sex with the students. When she finally escaped her parents had already died. It was devastating for her. She kept quiet about it for decades and recently was ready to start talking about it and now may be writing a book.

Wellness Blogger Admits Faking Terminal Cancer
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 24, 2015 12:34AM

Friends, I am sad to report that this may serve as a lesson:

When anything or anyone makes themselves the center of heart rending/heart warming inspirational narrative and just happens to be selling a book
and or promising to fund a charity, look at its actual business model before donating a penny.

For entire article, read here"

[www.bbc.com]

An Australian "wellness" blogger who built a successful business on claims she survived terminal cancer has admitted she never had the disease.

"None of it's true", Belle Gibson told Australia's Women's Weekly magazine in an interview.

Ms Gibson chronicled her battle with cancer on a blog, The Whole Pantry, which spawned an app and recipe book

But doubts about her claims surfaced after she failed to deliver a promised $300,000 donation to charity.

"I am still jumping between what I think I know and what is reality," Ms Gibson said in the interview, her first since the story was called into question.

"I have lived it and I'm not really there yet," she said.

'I don't want forgiveness'

Ms Gibson rose to prominence in 2013 after claiming she was treating her malignant brain cancer with whole foods and alternative therapies.

She went on to build a huge following on social media for her recipes and so-called "wellness" tips.

But when pressed to show medical records to back up her story, she refused.

"I don't want forgiveness," Ms Gibson told Woman's Weekly, adding that she was speaking out because it was "the responsible thing to do".

"Above anything, I would like people to say, 'Okay, she's human.'"

The reasons for her actions remain largely unexplained - she gave few details about why she lied so publicly, apart from referring to a "troubled" childhood.

Ahead of the interview's publication on Thursday, the magazine said the blogger had "cried easily and muddled her words" whenever challenged.

"She says she is passionate about avoiding gluten, dairy and coffee, but doesn't really understand how cancer works," it said.

Ms Gibson's partner, Clive Rothwell, did not know about her deception, according to Australia's News Ltd, which appeared to have obtained the full interview ahead of publication.

She said he was "supportive, but obviously very devastated", according to the site.

An especially detailed article from the Daily Mail: Belle is described as
an entrepreneur.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

More citations here:

[www.google.com]

(Glum)

This is not to say don't help each other out.

But don't act on impulse.

Fact check. Especially inspirational stories centered on one personality.

Check and see if there is a business model underneath the drama of it all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 11:13PM by corboy.

Guru Devotion not a healing for depression
Date: May 12, 2015 02:48AM

If someone you love and care about seems cured of depression by involvement
with a guru -- what if, later on, that guru becomes cold and rejecting?

A cautionary account from the son of a guru devotee.

[www.leavingsiddhayoga.net]

During the time his mother was involved at that ashram, from the 1970s, to her
death in 2001, major breakthroughs in medical physical therapy for depression
became available.

Be alert if asked for aid to Nepal
Date: May 13, 2015 05:41AM

Article here:

[forum.culteducation.com]

Warnings already being issued about Nepal aid scams

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 05:54AM by corboy.

Current Page: 43 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.