Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: December 26, 2012 10:52PM

To whom it may concern:
I have received further communication from the UK Charity Commission. They are investigating Diamond Way Cult on 3 issues.
* Illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco products within the organisation's centres, and the smuggling of such products into the UK by members.
* National security/terrorism concerns regarding Ole Nydahl's hate speech and incitement to violence, particularly against those who follow the faith of Islam. Included within this is the use of hate mail and harassment tactics by some in the organisation.
* Use and abuse of funds within the organisation, such as funding Ole Nydahl's lifestyle and that of other people high up in the organisation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Misstyk ()
Date: December 27, 2012 02:05PM

~*~ k a t e ~*~
To whom it may concern:
I have received further communication from the UK Charity Commission. They are investigating Diamond Way Cult on 3 issues.
* Illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco products within the organisation's centres, and the smuggling of such products into the UK by members.
* National security/terrorism concerns regarding Ole Nydahl's hate speech and incitement to violence, particularly against those who follow the faith of Islam. Included within this is the use of hate mail and harassment tactics by some in the organisation.
* Use and abuse of funds within the organisation, such as funding Ole Nydahl's lifestyle and that of other people high up in the organisation.
And a very Merry Christmas to you all!!

Posted by: warrenz ()
Date: December 28, 2012 07:05PM

Rudi
Upon request of Karmapa Thaye Dorje, Lama Ole Nydahl joined the Kagyu Monlam this year in Bodhgaya, India. There are photos showing him together with high-ranking Kagyu-Lamas:

What is the purpose of the Karmapa's invitation? Is it part of his endeavour to lead Nydahl and his organisation on the right path?
I am curious if something is going to change for the better finally ...

I have stopped giving Thaye Dorje the benefit of the doubt as regards Ole. I am sure he is aware of what goes on- he seems an intelligent chap.
However he needs the funds and support that are channelled his way by DWB. Given his support in mainland China, he may not need the financial support from DWB entirely but not many Chinese supporters can come to big events like a monlam (prayer festival) in Bodhgaya.

The yearly Monlam in Bodhgaya is a showcase event for both wings of the Kagyu lineage. For the mainstream under Urgyen Trinlay Dorje it is a massive event with special stages, plays, lama dancing etc. For Thaye Dorje's group, it's on a somewhat smaller scale and without the participation of DWB supporters it would be pretty tiny in comparison.

While it would be comforting to think that Thaye Dorje is attempting to rein in Ole, I fear that ultimately it is Ole who pulls the strings in that relationship. Ole's continued cheerleadling for Thaye Dorje is essential to the continued viability of his candidature. Thaye Dorje needs to be able to put on big events like the monlam to say "See I can draw big crowds of supporters too!". Nothing is going to change until Ole goes.

Good news on the UK charity commission investigation. Any idea when it is likely to report?

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 28, 2012 09:34PM

(Glum) This resembles how, in medieval Europe, Popes and Holy Roman Emperors made it to their respective thrones.

Whoever had the most followers and could buy the most support won the crown or tiara.

Not very edifying. With the Kagyus it seems little different, except for the costumes.

Date: December 28, 2012 10:31PM

corboy
(Glum) This resembles how, in medieval Europe, Popes and Holy Roman Emperors made it to their respective thrones.

Whoever had the most followers and could buy the most support won the crown or tiara.

Not very edifying. With the Kagyus it seems little different, except for the costumes.

It resembles how any large religious organization medieval or modern elects its leaders really.

The Tibetans however do have considerably better hats, though.

Posted by: stpauli ()
Date: January 02, 2013 09:02AM

Rudi
Upon request of Karmapa Thaye Dorje, Lama Ole Nydahl joined the Kagyu Monlam this year in Bodhgaya, India. There are photos showing him together with high-ranking Kagyu-Lamas:

[www.flickr.com]

What is the purpose of the Karmapa's invitation? Is it part of his endeavour to lead Nydahl and his organisation on the right path?
I am curious if something is going to change for the better finally ...

Rudi: as far as I know it was solely Ole's decision to go to Monlam this time. I was not aware of any invitations or requests from Karmapa's side. Can you please share where you got this information from?

Posted by: pS1bY8pG2l ()
Date: January 02, 2013 11:19PM

Warrenz,

I remember you were saying the followers of Nydahl`s Karmapa are mostly Western people. I wasn´t aware of it, but on that photo you see the evidence:

[www.flickr.com]

HH 17th Karmapa Trinley Thaye Dorje giving a Chenrezig or Buddha Loving Eyes empowerment in Beru Khyentse's monastery during Kagyu Monlam in Bodhgaya, India

Not that I would care of the nice guys network and ceremonies, but I was a little bit surprised.

My favoutite picture is that:
[www.flickr.com]

It shows Ole Nydahl in a golden kimono! It was given to him as a present by Karmapa. Lovely.

Date: January 03, 2013 12:50AM

karam-mudra
Warrenz,

I remember you were saying the followers of Nydahl`s Karmapa are mostly Western people. I wasn´t aware of it, but on that photo you see the evidence:

[www.flickr.com]

HH 17th Karmapa Trinley Thaye Dorje giving a Chenrezig or Buddha Loving Eyes empowerment in Beru Khyentse's monastery during Kagyu Monlam in Bodhgaya, India

Not that I would care of the nice guys network and ceremonies, but I was a little bit surprised.

I was actually surprised at just how few monks were present - if you look at some of the pictures later on the same flikr site: TD Kagyu Monlam.

Compare this with:UTD Kagyu Monlam

Without Ole's supporters, as I said Thaye Dorje's monlam would be pretty tiny - 4-5 rows of monks. Note also the almost complete lack of lay Tibetans.

Thaye Dorje is nothing without Nydahl - and Ole knows it!

@Rudi

Note that you only ever see Ole with the same handful of Kagyu lamas: Beru Khyentse (as in your link), Shamar, his brother Jigmela, their cousin Khenpo Choedrak and a few other relatives and students of Shamar. Ole is shunned by almost every other Tibetan teacher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 01:00AM by warrenz.

Posted by: Rudi ()
Date: January 03, 2013 09:19PM

stpauli

Rudi: as far as I know it was solely Ole's decision to go to Monlam this time. I was not aware of any invitations or requests from Karmapa's side. Can you please share where you got this information from?

A friend in DWB told me that one of Ole's close disciples, a traveling teacher, said explicitly that it was Karmapa's wish and not Ole's and I was also told so by another person very active in DWB. I can't say more since that could reveal my identity.

By the way, I liked the answer you recently gave to my posting. Thanks for that.

Posted by: Rudi ()
Date: January 03, 2013 09:22PM

Ole's New Year's letter:

-----------------------------------------------------------
No.01/13
Author: Lama Ole Nydahl
Date: 31 December 2012
Subject: New Year's Letter from Lama Ole Nydahl
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dearest Diamond Way friends and students worldwide,

I am overjoyed at the wide range of teachings so many of you employ in your lives. They prove the benefit of our groundbreaking first 40 years of bringing Diamond Way Buddhism to the West and showing people their mind. As history is the best teacher and as we all want to be useful to others, such knowledge offers great richness and is a guide that enables us to intelligently navigate the here and now.

Concerning our eventful 2012, it was a joy to spend precious time in the West with H.H. 17th Karmapa Trinley Thaye Dorje as well as in traditionally Buddhist Asia, which was a new dimension to many. With the benefit of our vast and still maturing Western Buddhist view, it was interesting to meet again with the established Eastern world. Even without understanding the words, with the power of drums and horns that transform consciousness while invoking Buddha forms, moments of transcendence and shared consciousness arose, making the Kagyu Monlam unforgettable.

But back to the West and some ripening insights. First, the age of confrontation inside Buddhism is over, and reason has won. There is enough room for any Buddhist within the laws of civilized (non-muslim) countries, and whichever of Buddha’s 84,000 teachings one applies will bring great benefit to whom they attract. Walking, driving and flying all bring one to the goal, and everyone should use the methods they feel comfortable with.
Second, our transmission lineage is unbroken: we offer the three ways to enlightenment that Buddha taught. The special qualities of the teachers of our lineage activate all mind’s enlightened aspects through the well-known Guru Yogas, and today the wise and fearless approach of Gyalwa Karmapa Thaye Dorje inspires whoever comes near.

Third, many see our Karma Kagyu Diamond Way as breaking the ice and giving a face to Buddhism as it enters the modern world. Attracting and inspiring ever more hopeful new idealists, it brings benefit that can never be lost.  

Following this broad overview, here are the highlights not everyone knows about:
Today, Latin America has 11 live-in Buddhist centres. The purchase of the London and Caracas centres finally succeeded and Moscow is a high probability.

Our friends in the Americas from Canada to Argentina are now meeting, meditating together and learning from each other, overcoming many historical and cultural concepts.
The film celebrating Hannah’s noble life touched us all and will remain a lasting inspiration.

The impressive activity of a few friends in our international Diamond Way Buddhism Foundation is interwoven in our daily work. Sponsoring and supporting many of our centres and projects, holding and guaranteeing all our different media copyrights for the future, enlarging its Buddhist cultural collection and sponsoring impressive statue exhibitions—like, for example, this year in Innsbruck and London—are its main pillars. The Foundation is an essential tool to secure our Diamond Way for the future and carries my full blessing.

Our Europe Center has been vibrantly running for five years and the taste of its fruition is already in the air. Thousands visit each year and share in a joyful atmosphere of international friendship and idealism. Thanks to the support of our worldwide mandala, the EC is now ready for the next step: to break ground with the new construction and realise the vision. We are all honoured to be part of this family.

And what are the lessons from 2012? More than ever that mind moves mountains. The inspiring quality of concentrating on solutions rather than problems—for instance until official papers must be signed and money handed over—has protected our values and given a great boost to our activity worldwide.

Thus, we are well on our way...

Yours,

Lama Ole

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.