Re: Ole Nydahl and Diamond Way Buddhism
Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: July 13, 2012 05:56AM

Hi Jamgon.

Your point about confirmation bias is valid and may well be on display here. But of course this bias works in both ways. It can obscure reason in favour of those who wish to find fault in Nydahl or obscure reason in those who refuse to find fault with Nydahl.

I accept Shamarpa’s letter as genuine but I find it difficult to accept that Shamarpa supports Nydahl in his attacks on Islam, or that he supports Nydahl’s sexual relationships with his students, or that he supports Nydahl’s decision to consume alcohol, tobacco and snuff.

The reason I find this difficult is because I regard Shamarpa as my root lama. I had been meditating with one of Nydahl’s groups for several years but just couldn’t bring myself to accept Nydahl as my root lama. I couldn’t place my trust in him because of his views on black Africa, Islam (although he and I do agree somewhat on radical Islam) and I considered his choosing young female students as sexual partners an abuse of his position. I continued to attend because it was my connection to Shamarpa and Karmapa.

In the end I was told to leave the DWB group, and the centre I was living in, because I wouldn’t accept Nydahl as my root lama. As there were no Bodhi Path centres in the UK I found myself without a connection to those who I considered my teachers.

So to think that I was ostracized from one group because I couldn’t accept the teacher’s behaviour as worthy of my trust and devotion and because I regarded Shamarpa as my teacher instead, to now find that Shamarpa gives his full support to a teacher I mistrust is a huge disappointment.

You can read my accounts of why I am protesting against DWB and Nydahl on this forum. I can promise you that my accounts are 100% factual as I experienced them.

You have clearly stated that there is no ambiguity in Shamarpa’s statement. Shamarpa lends his full support to Ole Nydahl activities. Shamarpa clearly states that he sees no “misuse of the teacher’s position” in Nydahl’s case. Nydahl openly admits to having sexual relationships with his students and Shamarpa claims this isn’t a misuse of the teacher’s position.

So now you leave me with an interesting dilemma because, you see, I too am a teacher, just not a Dharma teacher. If I choose to have sexual relationships with my students (all adults) is it an abuse of my position? If my employers dismiss me, can I use the argument that my spiritual teacher sees no abuse of position? Will the student’s parents accept this as a defence? Can I use this as a defence when my girlfriend finds out?

As you clearly point out, Shamarpa supports Nydahl. This leaves me with no other option than to now disregard Shamarpa as my teacher because he appears to hold views on race and sexuality that are in agreement with Nydahl’s but which are abhorrent to me.

So am I in error to think that divisive speech regarding race and religion, extra-marital affairs and indulging in sexual acts with students is wrong? Have I misunderstood something fundamental to Buddha’s teaching’s in holding the view that all the above is harmful? I’d be interested in hearing your views.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jamgon ()
Date: July 13, 2012 07:59AM

warrenz:

Shamar is extremely vocal about anyone who he does not like. See the copious writings on the internet (see www.karmapa-issue.org and elsewhere) on Mick Brown, Lea Terhune, Robert Thurman et al to say nothing of his criticism of other Kagyu lamas and the Dalai Lama. Why so coy about Ole?

Good point, warrenz. I am still catching up with what has been posted on this thread before but it struck me that Shamarpa is viewed as some sort of a lightweight push-over. I will not bother with the quotes but many forum contributors think he got bullied into submission by DW, lies to secure political support etc. This is the guy who took on the entire KK lineage (less Gendun, Jigme, Shangpa and a handful of others) because he thought that what went on was wrong. It earned him few friends, most other lineage lamas dumped on him, HHDL has repeatedly snubbed him, but he does not care. Does it sound like someone who can be easily threatened into writing letters of support for teachers who, in his view, are not genuine? Of course, anything can theoretically happen but how likely is it that someone who did not budge when confronted by all the brass of TB has suddenly become so meek when pressured by a self-proclaimed Western lama?

Peace

Posted by: jamgon ()
Date: July 13, 2012 08:38AM

Steve:

Agreed – confirmation bias can (and does!) work both ways.

I wish I knew what to advise you. For what it is worth; I personally have no problem with Lama Ole’s teaching style. As far as the DW organisation setup is concerned I take the good with the bad. I accept that nothing is perfect in samsara, things cost money, personality clashed do happen, we all have egos etc. But, judging by the sheer number of negative posts on this thread, there is something strange going on in the UK centres. You come through as very reasonable and well balanced so your story carries a lot of weight for me. In the end it is about personal development and you are the best judge of what does and does not work for you. Since there is no doubt your motivation is right I am sure a solution will pop up – just keep your eyes and heart open. Sounds like your path may lead away from KK altogether, which is not a great drama – there are other traditions with capable teachers around. If I did not like most people at a local centre I would thank them for having given me the opportunity to practice patience, and then change the centre. If I lost trust in a teacher I would be grateful for the teachings he gave me and then move on to another teacher. May you be well.

Peace

Posted by: SteveLpool ()
Date: July 13, 2012 04:12PM

Hi Jamgon.

I don’t mean to pressure you but you did leave my main question unanswered.

“So am I in error to think that divisive speech regarding race and religion, extra-marital affairs and indulging in sexual acts with students is wrong? Have I misunderstood something fundamental to Buddha’s teachings in holding the view that all the above is harmful? I’d be interested in hearing your views."

You make it clear you are student of Nydahl’s and so I’m sure you are aware of his views on Islam, black Africans and of his sexual relationships with his female students. While I agree on some of his points regarding radical Islam I felt that there was a very strong anti-Muslim sentiment among many of his students. I got a distinct impression that Nydahl exploited this to gain support, the vast majority of which comes from Eastern Europe. Two of his ‘respected’ travelling teachers shocked me with their comments a while back. One told me we should be blowing up mosques with Muslims in them and the other told me black people serve no useful function in our societies. At one of the last lectures I attended, given by Nydahl in London, he announced over the microphone (while blessing babies) that he was pleased to see so many of his (white) students having babies because our western cities were ‘in danger of looking like Africa’. This is a clear reference to skin colour and not cultural mores. I have a witness to two of those incidents.

I am sure you are aware of his preference for young women. I personally witnessed him with his tongue down the throat of a student after a lecture in Newcastle. He was drunk at the time as he staggered into me and embraced me as he left. Even his most blindly devoted students looked a little disturbed and embarrassed by this. I know Nydahl isn’t a monk and has no obligation to be celebate but, these women are often 40 or 50 years younger than him. Do you really think that if he wasn’t the head of DWB they would be interested in him? If you think they wouldn’t be interested in sexual relationships with a pensioner then surely this is an abuse of his position as a teacher.

My name is Steve and I attended the Liverpool centre for many years. All my accounts are 100% factual as I experienced them which is why I post under my real name and not a pseudonym.

Best wishes.

Steve

Posted by: warrenz ()
Date: July 14, 2012 02:54AM

@karma-mudra

I don't see Shamar as Amitabha. I see him as a very ordinary man who, despite the best spiritual education, tried to run the Karma Kagyu lineage as the family business and when no-one would play ball, he went off to start up a new business with his own Karmapa against the advice of his own teachers.
I am sorry you have had such an unfortunate time with Ole and those around him. Not all Tibetan Buddhist teachers are like him or Shamar, thankfully.

@jamgon

No-one thinks Shamar is a push-over. He is a wily old dog who knows where his best interests lie. He probably doesn't like Ole much but he realised it was a mistake to criticize him publicly. Diamondway forms the greatest part by far of his support base. I was prepared once to believe he didn't know what went on with Nydahl but, after the recent spat, it's clear that he has a pretty good idea. Cynically, however, he chooses to support Nydahl in order to keep the significant support Diamondway provides. No-one threatened him into writing the letter of support. He knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it.

@SteveLpool

I sympathize with your predicament. None of the centres/teachers associated with Shamar criticize Ole. Thaye Dorje clearly supports him too as does Jigmela and even Jampa Thaye who I think has several Dechen Community centres in your part of the world. If the Karmapa supports Nydahl where does that leave you? Well, I hope you stay with the Karma Kagyu lineage there are lots of great teachers out there despite the split - or you can always strike out and try something new. I wish you luck.

Posted by: ~*~ k a t e ~*~ ()
Date: July 14, 2012 07:50PM

I am currently putting together a documentary on the diamond way cult which will be released on youtube and elsewhere, and also available in dvd format. If anybody here wishes to contribute, please send me a private message.

Posted by: suenam ()
Date: July 15, 2012 05:38PM

jamgon
In this case we have a piece of information (a letter supporting Lama Ole written by someone in authority) which does not fit in with the views held by some forum contributors. Because the letter is inconvenient confirmation bias kicks in: Oh, look - signature, date, style - the letter has been forged! Let's discount it as a fake and discuss last year's letters by Shamarpa instead. The fact Shamarpa has since retracted the allegations in his previous letters does not matter - they are still useful in that they confirm the hypothesis.
The point about the previous letters was to try to place this one in the context of the exchanges between Nydahl and Shamarpa. Yes, Shamarpa has retracted the previous allegations... but only after some aggressively worded responses from Nydahl, and as SteveLpool wrote, it would seem as if this latest one was made in an attempt to cover over some of the cracks in the relationship.

You asked me to clarify something which I take to be already clear - that I find the sentiment conveyed in the most recent letter to questionable - yet you focus solely on the signature issue as if Shamarpa is either 100% for or against Nydahl.

You said that you have no problem with Nydahl's teaching style, and it is not my intention to question anyone's personal tastes here - my criticism is not about style but one of content.

One thing sticks in my mind in recalling interactions with Nydahl - the repetition of the idea that Nydahl was pleased to see a lot of "high foreheads" which he took to denote intellectual superiority - clearly an appeal to status, ego, and a hierarchichal stratification of the human race based upon physical (racial?) characteristics.

You brought up the idea of "clinging to views" in the face of conflicting evidence, but as I understand Buddhism, the idea that someone may believe that they are in full possession of the (phenomenal) facts and use that to cling to any particular (relative) view would also count as an attachment.

Given that in Buddhism the nature of all specific views are relative, I would suggest that this desire to try to cash in claims to truth is the metaphorical equivalent to grasping harder in order to try to retain a handful of sand.

If someone has understood the doctrine of the two truths then why the continual emphasis on the relative level as if phenomena themselves were the locus of truth? Surely the relative level of poverty in Africa or the height of individual's foreheads are proof of one thing only - that the person observing those things as "truths" remains stuck on the relative level and has not achieved a viewpoint which transcends the materialistic/egoistic level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 05:40PM by suenam.

Posted by: BackAtHome ()
Date: July 15, 2012 11:31PM

Hello,

please excuse that this message is somehow unrelated to the latest messages. I wanted to send this for some time and only today found to be the right moment. As I stated in some of my previous messages, I did some research of buddhism in general including Nydahl and this forum. I am convinced that it is necessary to try to get an overview, to see the bigger picture. So in this message I send quotations only from this forum with page numbers, name of forum member and date, so everyone can easily find the original message. I think these quotations do give a good impression about what Nydahl and DW may do to ones life. (The research ended at page 76, about 3/5 of the actual size of this forum.)

But first I like to invite everyone to not only look at Nydahl. In my opinion, because the bigger picture reaches far beyond Nydahl and DW, we should not stop here. The forum rules do not allow me to get into detail. For anyone interested, please, please try searching the internet for terms like "buddh abuse", "buddh scandal", "buddh pedophil", "buddh child abuse", "buddh violence" (in general combine anything you thought was impossible in buddhism with the term "buddh" and see what the search engine finds). I know this is very sad, but it is the truth.

Okay, in this forum we only look at Nydahl and DW:

"I am a former member, and during my time inside the group (about 2 years), i experienced sexual abuse, extreme pressure to donate money ... and guilt if it was not donated, or if the sexual abuse was reported. ... Ex-members who admit to the group about leaving are harassed and pressured to re-join the group. Members of the organisation are urged to edit Wikipedia and similar websites in order to provide a one-sided favourable view on the internet of their organisation and leader. Members are also encouraged to get media attention to spread similar messages." (page 1, Emma C, aug 3 2008)

"A recent lawsuit against ole for his comments against religion ..." (page 1, dr. thomas, aug 9 2008)

"... constant boast about global centers and the fact that millions were raised or secured for the Europe Center speak volumes for the business model that is the Diamond Way ... the misguided membership of The Diamond Way does lead to lying, financial loss and separation, this is a fact and I have no problems with proving it." (page 6, Outsider, oct 11 2008)

"When my childhood friend joined Diamond Way ... I can clearly see some "groupthink" going on ... Alcohol comsumption, parties, "an open idea on what love is" ... I can barely recognize my childhood friend now ... is allocating time, money and efforts to Diamond Way in what I believe to be unhealthy levels. I feel this person depends more and more on the group to make personal decisions." (page 6, cybertao, oct 13 2008)

"... someone who was 100% monogamous and expected that of their partner until some time after coming into contact with DW ... becomes intimate with a DW teacher, guru, lama, yogi or whatever they label themselves on any given day ... Free love ... would indicate that any intamacy would be open knowledge to both parties rather than shrouded in lies (the case in mention) that were even passed on to the couples children ... I have seen what I mention above happen" (page 8, outsider, oct 25 2008)

"... I have experienced the teachings of DW and they are to my mind extremely corrupt and dysfunctional ... DW requires total dedication and doesn’t like outsiders with objective views. DW requires financial commitment, DW is not family orientated, DW benefits nobody out of the group (though establishes centres as registered charity)." (page 9 , outsider, oct 29 2008)

"If all work is voluntary, and no money is paid, how come so much money was sent from Diamond Way centres all over the world to buy the 'Europe Centre', and so much money is sent to Ole Nydahl to fund his all-expenses-paid trips flying around the world? I also know the centre leaders here in the UK go home with lots of money from the groups, as do the 'travelling teachers. ... pressuring members to donate all the time. I read a report recently in the paper that Diamond Way was going to get it's tax status in the UK revoked after they discovered fraud during investigating the Edward Penney group in Wales which recently had it's tax status revoked for the same reason." (page 11, emma c, nov 16 2008)

"... all meetings are conducted under a photo of Ole Nydahl ... you can buy a wallet sized photo of Ole, Idolization is indeed an integral part of DW" (page 11, outsider, nov 19 2008)

"... students take teachings from various masters. In Diamondway ... people are not allowed to receive Dharma (except for the teachings of Ole Nydahl). ... Ole asks his students not attend teachings in other Karma Kagyu center ... who ... have other teachers. Ole is in fact the only boss of this company ... People are also threatened not to take another teacher or else Ole would not be their teacher anymore. So you see how sectarian it is." (page 11, wangdrag, nov 28 2008)

"Answering a question from the crowd as to wether they should enter into love relationships with people who do not follow him: 'Of course it would be good to be with someone who shares your interests. But never mind, be with whom you want – as long as that person doesnt criticize your beliefs. If he or she does, then they don't respect you, and in such cases maybe it would be better to separate.' ... About reincarnation, the most frightening quote was 'people are reborn according to their merits. So, if they have been great sinners, they will be reborn into a very uncomfortable and difficult life, for example in Black Africa.' ... I attended a party of his followers ... a 'buddhist' guy turned up who started ranting about Africans and Muslims and how they will swamp our good white Europe, and how we must rise against it and beat them back, and how Ole was the only one to see the danger. - Most of the others hadn't been talking politics, but now that he mentioned it, everyone agreed ... my wife's several 'meditation courses' per year, each of which cost anywhere from a few dozen to a few hundred Euros, what with food and accomodation. Lectures by travelling Ole-preachers also cost a modest entry fee" (page 12, bkalnoky, nov 30 2008)

"About these financial statements and others I have found - and as a DW is a charitable organization: The only charity expenses I can find in these statements are contributions to diamondway's own expansion (new centres mainly, and expansion of existing ones.) Are there any real "charitable" activities? The cash on hand of the british branch seems to have grown by 50 % from 2005 to 2007." (page 12, bkalnoky, dec 01 2008)

"... harassment and threats I have received since leaving ..." (page 13, emma c, dec 12 2008)

"... discussion with my wife anout Nydahl ... what with their role model Ole having had more sex than is good for him but no children, my wife exclaimed: Oh no, he has lots of children. It appears he has kids with a number of women, allegedly because these women wished to have children from him" (page 13, bkalnoky, dec 15 2008)

"Diamond Way has given Trinley Thaye Dorje's parents a comfortable house in Spain, given himself much publicity and marketed him as the 17th Karmapa and fed the controvosy involved, stoked the fire is one way to put it. ... Diamond Way also takes away many things, freedom of choice being one, objectiveness another it also shows ... radical tendancies ... Diamond way came into my life (through my partner) ... I frankly find it opressive" (page 16, outsider, jan 28 2009)

"... stances against Islam, writing off Africa and homophobia, Ole ... is followed by his students in these views, I know, I've heard them from Students who are adamant the Ole is right and Islam is Evil and Africa has no hope. ... Diamond Way is a cult" (page 17, outsider jan 30 2009)

"... Ole is now too powerful to listen to any authority. What would the Karmapa do without him and the millions of Euros DW collects? Where would the influential german buddhist union be without DW? Ole-ists must be a majority of all "Buddhists" in Germany now ... brutal political power play of DW whenever there is an attempt to act against it. Last time they got criticised by the german buddhist union, they just threatened they'd split and found their own. DBU capitulated out of sheer fear." (page 19, bkalnoky, feb 01 2009)

"... my ... attempts at public action, and another former member friend of mine's organisation of a protest have simply led to yet more harassment and death threats from Diamond Way" (page 21, emma c, feb 09 2009)

"it's my experience that DWB engages in 'witch hunts' and harassment." (page 21, suenam, feb 09 2009)

"I can imaging that some DW people to intimidate members and engage into harassments against a rebel. They do this also with me from time to time" (page 21, dave, feb 09 2009)

"Lorin Roche ... in a chapter 'Invisible Friends' Roche described this situation: A woman, Katrina, ... had been doing Buddhist visualizations ... to visualize her teacher ... sitting in her crown chakra. And then merge with him ... then it started feeling a little crowded there in her head – with her teacher and Buddha always there, watching her ... over time she found herself becoming inhibited as he got more and more inside her head, controlling her ... When I met her, she had been divorced from her husband ... (Roche then mentions something that resembles implantation of phobias) ... We found out that ... before the divorce, she had visualized her Tibetan teacher so totally that it was as if he was in bed with her when she was with her husband, he was there as a third person. And she liked it, once or twice ... that started to drive a wedge of alienation between her and her husband. No one talks about this stuff. ... this kind of visualization practice--which is termed guru yoga" (page 22, corboy, feb 09 2009)

"yet i know for sure four people who DWB have spread untrue and damaging gossip about. in all of these cases they have used the same tactic of labelling them 'sick,' or 'disturbed'. in at least two of these cases DWB have made false statements to the police in an attempt to incrimnate them." (page 25, suenam, feb 11 2009)

"...they also seemed completely unaware of how controlling they were being in trying to impose their viewpoint on me" (page 26, suenam, Feb 21 2009)

"Ole himself has stated 'In the 60's we used LSD, but now we use Buddhism.'" (page 26, antilamaole, feb 22 2009)

"I have also found many Danish websites stating Ole Nydahl's links to right-wing extremist political parties in that country." (page 30, emma c, may 22 2009)

"My wife is now actually saying she regards some pretty essential bits of Ole's approach as "mistakes" ... Now here's the interesting bit. She'd never dare state these views in public in the sanga, let alone tell Ole himself she considers these things as mistakes. She'd rather, she says, jump in the Danube (!)." (page 31, bkalnoky, may 27 2009)

"... my experience as an ex-member too. It's as if there's some dual reality - One where you know you disagree with what is being taught, but at the same time you are accepting everything you are taught and can't see anything wrong with it, and see it as perfect. Bizarre, but I guess that's what the cult's brainwashing does to one's brain!" (page 31, emma c, may 27 2009)

"I know from my wive that Ole when he holds a lecture likes to ask for 1000 Euro for the next airplane ticket/taxi etc to the next center. But actually, every cent he spends will be refunded by the foundation. So that's 1000 extra for him. how many trips to centers does he do? multiply by 1000 eur" (page 31, bkalnoky, may 31 2009)

"... ask of our most advanced lay teacher and meditation leader just who this man could be. ... He went on to tell me about how once he was talking with him about the Karmapa controversy and how Mr. Nydahl in a fit of anger said it would be better if he and his people just took Uzi(sub-machine guns) and killed the other Karmapa and his followers." (page 33, awakeningnow, june 26 2009)

"Constant requests for money and reminders to pay subscription fees and a pyramid fashion campaign towards obtaining property for retreat centers are something I have hard evidence of" (page 34, outsider, aug 21 2009)

"To deny Ole Nydahl is right-wing is ridiculous. He is very racist and xenophobic. Not only against Muslims, but against blacks and Africans too. He has on many occasions stated his racist beliefs that people with bad karma are reborn in 'black Africa' and that 'Africa has nothing to offer us but disease'! ... (following post, same date) ... When I went to a Diamond Way centre ... critical thinking is the last thing that is tolerated especially if it questions even a little their beliefs. ... Also, they seem to elevate themselves completely above the rest of the religions. ... whenever someone showed critical thinking inside the group their “leader” immediately started to talk in a very provocative way, stating “how things are” and just a long monologue of why the critical thoughts have no basis in their world. ... Critical thinking was seen as 'ego-problems'" (page 34, kate, aug 21 2009)

"I live with one of the DW devotees and over the past years seen my partners tolerance for anything non DW dwindle to alarming ly low levels. ... restrictive reading (Only books from DW library have been read over last 18 months) ... like living with a junkie who is on edge and sullen in between visits to the DW center and un naturally enthusiastic on their return. ... Intolerance is woven through any DW devotee, Ole himself has said; 'If your partner is not a follower and this doesnt work for you then you should part, family, children or not'. I am not quoting word for word but take a surf through You Tube for his 'Love and Relationships' ramble (where he opens with a quip at gays ..." (page 34, outsider, aug 28 2009)

"I was told too that if I ever decide to talk against DW I would have lots of bad karma and unpredictable obstacles in my life. If thats not manipulation and using fear as a motive to keep people quiet ... omnipotent position that mr. Nydahls has aquired for himself. He can pretty much do or say anything and most members think he is allways right because he´s an "enlightened" man. ... Therefore our crical or disturbing (as they like to put it) thoughts are just a reflexion of our pride and ego ..." (page 35, kate, sept 02 2009)

"I am living with a DW member who has over the past 18 months become so far removed from reality that ... daily family life is being controlled by DW ethics, discourse and demands that the disciple is true to the cause and nothing else. There is no reasoning with this person (classic cult behaviour) or the local group." (page 35, outsider sept 25 2009)

"From The Diamond Way cult website: Ole Nydahl & Diamond Way accused of sexual abuse in Switzerland. Here is a newspaper article from Switzerland recently brought to my attention: Lama Ole Nydahl missionaries are accused of abuse, sexual questionable and racism. The Diamond Way Buddhist church, ... led by their leader, Lama Ole Nydahl, is a real cult. ... 'I've seen the group as elitist, racist and sexist' ... In Schawinski he boasted of having had sex with more than 500 women. ... she has noticed in a summer training camp as Nydahl ... In six months, he had sex with many of his female students. 'These women should still be happy because they were in contact with him', Nydahl told her ... Nydahl claimed Africa's poverty was it's own fault and that sperm banks should be set up for white men to 'spread themselves' ... she wrote to him about her discomfort. His answer: 'We can now avoid that we have in a few years even larger ghettos of foreigners, which is undermining our society, which is a big win.' ... 'He is almost following a Nazi ideology. Rhetorical racism, a coarse slogan, which also xenophobic statements in it are lying,' says Schmid. The followers are repeatedly brainwashed. This was an important characteristic of a sect. The are told 'Nydahl is also an elitist preacher of the best religion for the best people.'" (page 35, kate, sept 27 2009)

"I have to tell that Ole has ... a special power that you do get influenced. I am a strong headed person with a very strong character and any time i saw ole i was weak and crying. ... how is it possible that so many people are constantly saying what the lama says words by words?" (page 35, milarepa, sept 27 2009)

"I'm interested about the blackmail at the London group. I experienced this (albeit after I left) - members tried to blackmail me into silence." (page 36, kate, sept 29 2009)

"I have had numerous arguements with some of Ole's students who have been quite happy to tell me why blacks have no value in our societies or how they would like to blow up mosques with Muslims in them." (page 39, stevelpool, jan 08 2010)

"Looking back on my experience, ... Ole said something along the lines that it was a waste of time setting up a centre in Africa because Africans were not capable of understanding the dharma. ... I think the racist tendencies in DWB do come from the top. ... They don’t see themselves as being bound by the moral and social norms in society. They believe they have a special insight that over-rides any laws, ..." (page 39, eddie49, jan 09 2010)

"During my time in the Diamond Way cult, I knew people with kids who were being brainwashed into it, unfortunately." (page 42, kate, jan 26 2010)

"I met so many people with Diamond Way tattoo's. ... It's like designer clothing, some claim they wear it because it displays their own 'style, originality and personality'." (page 43, stevelpool, april 10 2010)

"My next observation may be more thought provoking, DW center members (perhaps 2 - 3 years association with the group) who themselves have not even graduated from university being allowed into state schools to teach 10 - 12 grade students about Buddhism." (page 43, outsider, may 04 2010)

"I saw Ole in Lima. ... I saw two argentinian girls in his twenties had a tongue kiss with him in front of everyone in the phowa. One of the is his translator was touching his leg while we meditated." (page 44, luis peru, may 04 2010)

"His comments at an event in London last year where he thanked his white congregation for having children because he feared our Western cities were going to 'look like North Africa' were racist beyond doubt. ... If you do question his views you are perceived as lacking maturity. I’ve seen it suggested that if you don’t accept Ole’s views 100% then you haven’t meditated enough. ... I was in contact with several “educated” individuals, doctors, scientists and university lecturers included whilst attending DWB centres. ... I was astounded how their critical faculties were suspended when it came to analysing Nydahls’ instructions." (page 45, stevelpool, june 01 2010)

"Letters from Lama Ole to Shamarpa ... Yours Lama Ole Nydahl ... P.S. Any woman worldwide who has received sexual Tantra teachings from me will upon confirmation receive $1000. ... I give no teachings on sex or sexuality. When requested by my students, I provide general private guidance about whichever part of their life they seek assistance for," (page 46, zara11, july 13 2010)

"I have attended a few meditation sessions at a local DW center as well as reading a couple of Ole's books. ... I was quite shocked by the sneaky racists concepts ... I think he has a real hidden agenda on the subject of race ... I have even found an article posted on a Sionist website (taken from a danish nationalist webzine) were he's talking about the danger of Islam and how the young danish should join the army if they feel that their identity is threatened ... A cult of personality is also rather evident in the DW organistion. ... someone like Ole can manipulate mostly young idealistic people into thinking that they are following an enlightened teacher" (page 47, alchi, july 14 2010)

"I was 'shown the door' having lived in the centre for 12 months because I refused to accept Nydahl as my root lama. ... his devotees ... many from Eastern Europe and I am in no doubt that they are 'dyed in the wool racists'. ... The idea with DWB is that you copy Ole's behaviour, adopt his ideas and then you will become enlightened. If you question his credentials ... you are criticised for lacking wisdom of for being 'confused'. ... They cannot or will not look at themselves in a critical way. If Nydahl tells them it's OK they just follow blindly." (page 47, stevelpool, july 14 2010)

"Still other travelling teachers ... talk about their adventures with Ole Nydahl. ... Tales of Nydahl smuggling a hand gun through customs in South America, ... If something seems to go against your values (Nydahl calls these "stiff ideas") then it is simply down to you lack of realisation.... because the Lama (in this case Nydahl) cannot be wrong ... handful of others I encountered who saw the travelling teacher program as an opportunity to propogate race hate" (page 47, stevelpool, july 17 2010)

"... my own experiences with DWB (since about 7 years) ... most important issues I second have been raised by several member of the group here, most prominently by SteveLpool, suenam, Outsider, kate, and Wangdrag but also others. ... Ole was giving empowerment in Kalachakra. ... he motivated this with all who took part ... to promise to defend Dharma actively against Islam. ... I refused two times to take this empowerment. ... most of the other sangha members around me were dissapointed if not angry in my denial. ... I do not know a lot about the true nature and history of the Kalachakra. ... even the Dalai Lama was accused to give teachings about it without revealing its true nature ... I got the feeling that Ole is even proud to collect such an 'army' of followers who are willing to fight to protect Dharma against Islam." (page 48, herbiezh, july 21 2010)

"Being in a position to counsel former students of his and having done that for more than 10 years I can say that everything written about Ole Nyidahl and his organization is unfortunately true. ... His "teachings" are completely distorted ... His followers ... are totally brainwashed. ... Those who stay for some reason or another seem to be hooked for life and no trace of reason is left in them. They become like machines, rambling about "unconditional love", "boundless mind" over and over, while becoming true extremists in views and staying deaf to the world outside. Nydahl is no doubt an excellent organizer and manipulator. ... the likes of Ole Nydahl and Sogyal are designing huge Dharma corporations ... Nydahl on the other hand is creating a very powerful organization which has nothing to do with Buddhism and which is becoming very dangerous." (page 51, ayushman, aug 22 2010)

"Nydahl's students who founded the centre never really encouraged attendees to study dharma books other than those by Nydahl ... Students are encouraged to give 10 minute talks on a dharma point from one of Nydahls books. In fact there is an unhealthy emphasis placed upon reading Nydahl's materials." (page 51, stevelpool, aug 23 2010)

"It usually takes several years of heavy damage control. People who manage to get out of his organization usually experience a limbo for quite a long time since developing trust again is (understandably) difficult for them. It is the same with any cult, of course." (page 51, ayushman, aug 23 2010)

"Are there areas where ex-DW students find that essential elements were left out or taught to them inaccurately? In pretty much every field of Buddhist knowledge. They know next to nothing about ... and absolutely nothing about ... They also have no idea what it means ... They have no background ... they know nothing about ... and they know nothing of ... And, they know nothing about ... They have no real knowledge about ... Anyway, they basically have no clue about any of the core doctrines of their own school. ... They usually are quite shocked when they learn about the amount of information, teaching and practices they have been denied access to." (page 51, ayushman, aug 23 2010)

"In fact if the rumors that he has started giving Kalachakra initiation reach the years of the senior Tibetan Lamas they would probably not believe it. It would be a huge scandal." (page 51, ayushman, aug 23 2010)

"I have been shocked and saddened by my short experience with DWB and I don't want people to get damaged" (page 53, alchi, sep 02 2010)

"An article from a Polish press. An artist Joanna Rajkowska depicts Warsaw diamondway buddhists protesting hand by hand with local Neo-Nazi groups against construction of a mosque in Warsaw." (page 55, tony dublin, sep 22 2010)

"... human rights abuse ... in The Irish Sangha for the last couple of years. ... a narrow a group people ... decided to gain an exclusive influence over a Sangha management. ... series of meetings ... with a purpose of official exclusions of Sangha members ... nothing else but manhunt and those of us who ever wondered how fascism could have been possible in history, had now an opportunity to witness events which resembled nothing else ... Organisers of those meetings are not accountable to anybody. ... threat of being 'rooted away from the Kagyu family' ... threat of exclusion from the community has proven to be an effective tool of social terror. ... Sangha management tools are strictly monopolised and a management style is compassionless ... 'International human rights law also protects people against the promotion of religious hatred which amounts to incitement of discrimination, hostility or violence (ICCPR, article 20)'" (page 55, tony dublin, sep 22 2010)

"My partner is really getting heavily involved in this cult, ... I have attended meetings lectures and functions to see what it is all about. I can identify with what everyone is saying here on this forum but my partner refuses to read it or have anything 'untoward' discussed about it's chief 'Lama'. ... £15 each for tickets making £60 in total for the two lectures. ... miniskirted young girls in black tights bending at his knees offering him food and drink, ... sold a great number of tickets to give public lectures, ... This is quite obviously a money making machine that is financing tours of the world for it's racist, egotistical leader along with his lovers and entourage" (page 56, blondie, sep 25 2010)

"... there is some real perversion of the Buddharharma taking place by Mr Nhydahl ... There have been instances in the past where students, out of confusion, have misused these precious teachings to create a personal fortress of charlatanism and egohood. This appears to be the case with Mr Nhydahl. ... the letter was signed by Osel Tenzin - CT's Regent who had unprotected sex with his students (male and female) knowing he was HIV positive."
(page 57, vdesign, sep 28 2010)

"... one instance of a woman who feels cheated, abused and mistreated by Nydahl. Incidentally, she left the Diamondway ... when was the last time Nydahl had a girlfriend that was not also a Diamondway Buddhist? ... I observed that many of Nydahl's students become very uncritical of him" (page 59, sceptic watcher, oct 01 2010)

"After attending the DWB centre in Liverpool for several years as well as many lectures and courses on the way, I was having a conversation with a very good friend of mine ... a trained counsellor ... an excellent listener. ... discussing DWB, immigration and Islam ... He looked shocked and disturbed. I stopped and reflected over my views and my comments and realised to my horror that the views were morphing into Ole’s. Here I was opposing his views but somehow regurgitating them. It was quite frightening. ... I was beginning to absorb the group mentality. It was starting to become my own. ... I was told by the Liverpool founder that mindfulness training wasn’t important in DWB practice." (page 62, stevelpool, oct 09 2010)

"Ole Nydahl is the founder of Diamond Way Buddhism. At age 68 he acknowledged having sex with his students but said 'There’s no teacher-student relationship involved in that, they’re Diamond Way Buddhists, but they’re not my students in that moment. They’re equal partners'. ... it's plain that his Diamond Way Buddhism organisation he went on to found has many serious issues ... Regarding his academic credential he has no degree of any sort from Copenhagen university as he claims. The 'examen philosophicum' he mentions as passing with the highest academic grades is merely a foundation course that is required completion before entering on undergraduate studies. The Ph.D. is a fantasy, yet he twice appeared as subject on the popular American TV intellectual program 'Thinking Allowed' introduced as possessing a Ph.D. and addressed as Dr. Nydahl." (page 66, rinpoche, oct 25 2010)

"I have direct experience ... after living in the DW centers for three years, and being a student of Oles since 1995, ... I left DW almost 8 years ago after my sister died. ... how the teachings, up till then, readied me for such an experience was an eye opener for sure. I've spent the last 8 years ... checking what I learned against real life ... Effectively my life minimally functional at this point and just now making a turn for the better. ... in this scary time of fully coming out of this hole and confronting the issue head on. ... I've had some serious let downs with DW and some of the behavior in the centers has been down right nuts." (page 66, ubercorey, nov 19 2010)

"In Liverpool the contents of the library where carefully censored by the leaders of the group. ... I did talk to several women who were left in tears after being screamed at by one of the leaders ... I was also called by one male member who was very shaken after being shouted down by the same leader because the 'voluntary work' he did for the centre wasn't good enough. ... My critical comments about Ole and DWB were dismissed and it was suggested ... that I had 'ego' problems. ... Many of his dalliances are with women young enough to be his daughters daughter ... I watched him tongue kissing a woman in her early twenties at a party in Newcastle." (page 66, stevelpool, nov 19 2010)

"... nydahl makes a strange comment, saying that he knows he's not enlightened because he has no idea what the lady who lives 4 doors away is cooking for dinner! he seems to have confused Buddhism with a belief in supernatural metaphysics" (page 67, suenam, jan 06 2011)

"I've seen quite often where one person has developed a more subtle insight and understanding, and they can appear to others as if they have magical psychic powers. ... A similar story concerning the London sangha ... a female member was having mental problems and went to the sangha leaders complaining that her ex-boyfriend was using black magic against her. ... they ... started targeting this guy, going to the police with false accusations and then trying to fabricate evidence against him. Dafydd Morris lied to the police, ... DWB members continued to target him and he was verbally and even physically assaulted by them. ... one can see the clear signs of the hierarchy at work and the abuse of power that stems from this, ... conventional morality is ditched in favour of some form of 'magical intuition' which only serves to reinforce their own warped viewpoint." (page 69, suenam, jan 09 2011)

"Ole told to the leaders that they should not allow let 'sick' people to come to the group. ... Similar story when a very hard working girl who was the accountant of the London Sangha and worked so hard for them for free and studied at university as well. She got kicked out for the same reason because she got depressed. When people asked about her Maya Muller just told us she went to the french side. And the truth was they let her down big time when she really needed help. And my example? I got kicked out with my 9 month old baby from the sangha by Daffyd Morris as my child cried during the Karmapa visit in the hall. He told me that i purposely abused my child during the visit just to annoy th epeople in the hall. So they kicked me out with the baby. Me is ok but what the 9 months baby has done in her short life time? ... it is a cult with a lot of sick people there" (page 70, milarepa, feb 11 2011)

"I always questioned Ole's attitude towards Islam and what it has to do with Buddhism but slowly my views start changing and i accepted that he knows better, he is the boss. Few times situations came up when people from DW clearly expressed racist views ... Thanks to my girlfriend i am not longer with DW, ... she made them fill uncomfortable by asking questions ... worst was when people tried to divide us which really shock me ... it felt like you are with us or against us ,not entirely but something like that." (page 71, dariusb, mar 01 2011)

"... unlearn the DWB viewpoint (a process which is still ongoing several years after being levered out)." (page 71, suenam, mar 01 2011)

"I really wanted to believe 'I was special' ... I kind of knew that I wasn't and I never saw anyone else get the sign either.... It's incredible how one can be sucked into the group mentality. ... an evening when Nydahl was in Liverpool and I was performing a trick with coins. Several of his devotees ... were convinced of my "special powers" and that these were being enhanced by Nydahls 'powerfield' (he was in the house). I ... told them it was only a trick and how I was doing it, but they refused to believe me. ... tried to convince them I had no special powers and that it wasn't down to Ole's "powerfield" but they would just not accept it was a trick. I remember being quite shocked by the refusal of his students to believe the truth even when John and I reveiled how the trick was done" (page 73, stevelpool, mar 17, 2011)

Posted by: Alexander Nevsky ()
Date: July 16, 2012 02:38AM

So Thaye Dorje was born on born 6 May 1983. On 11th of August the same year Shamar Rinpoche certified Ole Nydahl as qualified buddhist master. Isn't it an interesting coincidence.
Here is Shamarpa's letter from 1983 with yet another signature, different than the two (or three) previous ones.
[www.lama-ole-nydahl.org]

Posted by: Alexander Nevsky ()
Date: July 16, 2012 03:22AM

On the other hand if you look at Dalai Lama's letters, he seems to have only one signature which is consistent. He has one tibetan signature. No messing.

If the letter is signed by his secretary, it clearly says: Secretary to HH Dalai Lama.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.