THE WOLFPACK
Posted by: Vera City ()
Date: February 04, 2015 08:31PM

Now here is an odd news item about a group of boys in a Krishna cult:

The Wolfpack, about a family of brothers who rarely left their Manhattan apartment while growing up, was one of the biggest breakouts at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival. It raises as many questions as it answers.

Because of their secrecy regarding their beliefs, access to movies, wearing normal clothes and long hair, it makes me wonder if this family is part of Butler's group? Anyone know? They certainly share fear of the "karmi" world.

THE WOLFPACK

PARK CITY, Utah — On the evening of Jan. 25, six brothers, all clad in black suits and sunglasses, stood in front of a movie screen as a crowd at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival gave them a standing ovation. The Wolfpack, the feature documentary centered on the Angulos, had just premiered at the festival, and — however audiences felt about the film itself — the brothers’ mere presence in Park City was enough to not only bring those in attendance to their feet, it also had some audience members in tears. After all, according to the film, as of just a few years ago, these six young men had barely stepped foot outside of their New York City apartment in their entire lives.

After the premiere, The Wolfpack quickly became one of the biggest breakout films at Sundance, ultimately winning the U.S. Documentary Grand Jury Prize and getting snapped up for distribution by Magnolia Films (which is planning for a release in the second quarter of 2015). It’s not surprising, considering the uniqueness of The Wolfpack, which is presented almost impressionistically by director Crystal Moselle; there are no title cards, no talking heads, and no narrators providing context to the Angulo brothers’ story, nor how Moselle came to film them. Yet, the film still leaves a profound impression, as we learn how the Angulos came to start leaving their home, and how their love for movies and filmmaking sustained them through what is presented as a painfully isolating childhood.

And the Angulo brothers’ abiding passion for movies is what apparently gave birth to The Wolfpack in the first place. In an interview with BuzzFeed News, Moselle recounted serendipitously seeing the Angulo brothers while walking through New York’s East Village in 2010. Fascinated by their long hair and unusual apparel — they were all dressed in black suits, like in Reservoir Dogs — she said she chased them down and asked them who they were. The kids’ guard dropped after learning Moselle was a filmmaker, a friendship emerged, and at first, that’s basically all it was.

An example of the Angulo brothers’ movie reenactments, this time of The Usual Suspects. instagram.com

“I started showing them cameras,” Moselle said. “And then I would just, like, film little interviews with them. It was just this kind of collaborative thing.”

During roughly the first four months of their friendship, Moselle said she realized the brothers, who ranged in age from 18 to 11 at the time, weren’t just interested in movies — they communicated almost exclusively through the language of cinema, born from their habit of staging elaborate reenactments of their favorite films. “They would be like, ‘We do that film!’” Moselle said. “And I would be like, ‘What are you talking about?’ And they said, ‘Oh, we reenact it.’ … I was filming them in the park once, and they did a reenactment of The Fountain. It was really beautiful. And I was, like, ‘Oh, show me more!’ And then they just went through the process of how they did the reenactments.”

By this point, Moselle said she also began to understand the highly unusual circumstances of the brothers’ upbringing. According to the film, their father, Oscar, is a Peruvian acolyte of the Hare Krishna movement, and had moved his American wife, Susanne, and their growing family into a housing project on the Lower East Side when their oldest children were very young. Fear of rampant crime in their neighborhood apparently compounded Oscar’s deep mistrust of society in general and, as a result, according to The Wolfpack, they rarely left their apartment. The brothers — given Sanskrit names by their father, Bhagavan, Govinda, Narayana, Mukunda, Krsna, and Jagadesh — explain in the documentary that growing up, they were usually only allowed to leave their apartment a half dozen times in a year. One year, they say, they never left their home at all. Their only connection to the outside world — and their only means of expressing themselves within the tiny one bound by their apartment’s walls — was through the thousands of movies their father allowed them to watch.

“I was just realizing this was a bigger story,” said Moselle, who explained that she asked the brothers if she could make a documentary about them. When they agreed, she said she began visiting their family’s apartment and filming them, sporadically at first, and then more regularly, over a roughly four-year span. Slowly, the brothers began opening up to her, as well as their mother, Susanne, and finally, after what appears to be a very slow thaw, their father, Oscar, as well. (According to press notes provided by The Wolfpack’s Sundance publicist, the brothers’ older sister Visnu has a genetic disorder called Turner’s Syndrome, which stunts mental and physical development and is why she is largely absent from the film.)

Director Crystal Moselle (at center), with Mukunda Angulo, Govinda Angulo, Bhagavan Angulo, Narayana Angulo, Jagadisa Angulo, and Krsna Angulo from The Wolfpack, at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival. Larry Busacca / Getty Images

The impoverishment of the Angulos’ home and the brothers’ unnervingly lean frames are on ample display in the film. But, Moselle said, “Nothing alarmed me where I felt like I had to call the authorities in or anything. They’re a functioning family.” The director credits a lot of her comfort with the family to how disarmingly articulate and even charming the Angulo brothers could be, not just while discussing their passion for cinema, but their own acutely cloistered childhoods, and inner emotional lives.

That could be a product of a radical turn of events for the family after Mukunda, at 15, evidently broke out of the apartment and wandered through the neighborhood wearing a mask of Halloween killer Michael Myers. Naturally, one can only do that in New York for so long before authorities are called, and as a result, the kids say in the film that they were forced to spend time talking with a social worker. When asked whether she had verified that account with their social worker, however, Moselle declined to answer. “That was something that I was interested in at one point, but I wasn’t able to get access,” she later added.

Indeed, The Wolfpack raises as many questions as it answers. At several points in the film, there is a suggestion that there may have been some kind of greater abuse within the family — one of the brothers intimates a dark event in his past that he cannot set aside. That’s something about which Moselle, however, also declined to elaborate. “I just want to stay neutral with that subject,” she said. “They revealed what they want to reveal in the film. And I have to respect their private lives.”

instagram.com

Moselle told BuzzFeed News she was at pains to avoid “exploiting” the family, sighing that the film’s basic description — an inside look at a pack of brothers who have never left their apartment — could cause some confusion as to how The Wolfpack could even be a documentary and not a narrative film. “I think the story in a log line sounds very sensational,” she said. “It is more of an emotional story about the family rather than just this crazy thing, you know? That’s the circumstance that brings us in, but it’s really about them reaching out into the world.”

But the decision not to allow any members of the Angulo family to speak with the press was not apparently made out of an overabundance of caution for their continued privacy. “We’re just holding off on that for the release of the film,” the director said. “They will be speaking to press at some point. Just not yet.” While at Sundance, however, the family did at least sit for a portrait for Vanity Fair.

Navigating the line between what is truly private and what is merely personal is a dilemma facing anyone who chooses to tell someone else’s story, especially when that story is as emotionally fraught as The Wolfpack, and the platform for telling it — a premiere at the Sundance Film Festival — can be life-changing. “I think that that’s the nature of documentary filmmaking,” Moselle said. “You’re holding these people’s lives in your hand.”

Still, there have been some perks to the process. Moselle said she sent footage of the brothers’ recreation of Quentin Tarantino’s film Reservoir Dogs, which opens The Wolfpack, to Tarantino himself. And the director responded. “Quentin Tarantino said, ‘They’re very funny, and tell the boys wonderful work,’” Moselle recounted with a broad smile. “I, like, showed them the email, and they were losing their minds,” she continued with a laugh. “I mean, seriously, they’re going to be on that stage one day, showing their own film, and I’m going to be in the audience, clapping away. I know it.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chris Butler, Jagad Guru, Science of Identity
Posted by: jaggedguru ()
Date: February 08, 2015 04:37PM

true, Bulterites will continue to breed and prosper, but they will never get out of the shadows of Butler while he is still alive.
they will always need his approval.
anything that does surpass, i dont think that Butler knows about it.
no one can have more success than the Butler, and if you do then your ego is probably huge and needs to be taken down a notch. eg: give more money to Butler.

as long as the second and third generation is alive, there will always be an underground movement chipping away at the foundation until the entire "Science of Identity" foundation has crumbled.

Butler did have it partially correct, that his followers also crave to be worshipped like him. He was so paranoid about that.
you can tell with them opening up their own centers and not affiliating it with Butler, no mention of Siddha. just "yoga sound" workshops and yoga/kirtan studios with free food.

also the WolfPack. i doubt that has anything to do with Butler folowers.
the weird thing about being in a cult is you develop a certain style which just doesnt really click in the real world. mainly because long time followers cant relate to the outside world and dont have the edge you need for commercial success.
i could be proven wrong in the future, but that will only be because followers have been leading a more secular life than one in the group.
its weird how they all shun success yet at the same time want to be actors, artists, and celebrities. just look at all the past projects.

another reason why is, they started a Kickstarter campaign for Ninjai:the Little Ninja film. how long has it been? more than ten years?
the ninja concept has been done and has passed the shelf life.
Kung Fu Panda already came out and this is just an imitation.
seems to have zero funding from Butler.
sure i gave them money anyways.
they need to be doing something besides worshipping 24/7.

How cult life can leave its mark
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 08, 2015 11:45PM

jaggedguru wrote

the weird thing about being in a cult is you develop a certain style which just doesnt really click in the real world. mainly because long time followers cant relate to the outside world and dont have the edge you need for commercial success.

On a discussion board for those who were in Elan Vital (Maharji) and who left.

One person on the discussion board asked about another self reported
guru, Andrew Cohen.

"Disculta" a former Elan Vital follower, wrote this:

http://www.ex-premie.org/best/bof01012001163236.htm#P_11PA

When I first moved to California, I had someone cleaning my house who really seemed like a premie. She had that humble, selfless, low self-esteem energy about her.

I asked her who her guru was (which quite took her aback) and it was him.

(Andrew Cohen)

another former member replied:

Oh, god, is it that obvious?

"When I first moved to California, I had someone cleaning my house who really seemed like a premie. She had that humble, selfless, low self-esteem energy about her. I asked her who her guru was (which quite took her aback) and it was him."

Are we marked for life? For me, yes! All those years putting Maharaji on the pedestal and myself in the gutter.
[/quote}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 11:47PM by corboy.

Some cults may be quite adaptable
Date: February 08, 2015 11:54PM

There may be some groups that may give members a competitive edge
by inflaming their competitiveness, making them feel themselves
members of an elite.

They may be taught to grovel to the guru in private, and then don
a respectable, ever so nice public persona when dealing with
outsiders.

And a few gurus have been enterprising enough to encourage members
to become skilled in lucrative occupations.

I once met someone who was a disciple of a guru, now dead named
Zen Master Rama. ZMR encouraged followers to enter the computer
industry--and in the early days.

This person went on to make a very good living.

Rama died by suicide, yet despite this, she still kept a picture
of him in her living room.

In the dark living room, Zen Master Rama's picture, pulsing in
the light of a lone guttering candle was downright eerie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 09:18PM by corboy.

Date: February 13, 2015 02:54PM

the followers of Butler will suffer the same fate, many will not realize that their enlightenment is another illusion.
a facade, and behind it only emptiness and wasted time.
I hope that some will be able to overcome the indoctrination and switching of identities to be able to lead a decent life of what is left of it.
go back to their loved ones, and stop the spiritual abuse.
just do some research, it is all a lie.

speaking of death,
i got word from someone who attended the last International Retreat in the Philippines, that a young boy, the son of a disciple, might be named Goloka Das(?)
had hung himself.
i assume he couldnt bare the isolation and the rigid lifestyle of living in the ashram, in abject poverty as a brahmachari.
while the other kids led a more secular modern lifestyle only to go there on weekends and special appearance days.
this is the plight of the poor people there.
still a very high divorce rate among the followers who have been initiated as disciples (through correspondence) too.

Date: February 19, 2015 07:48AM

Yes, you are correct Jaggedguru! The damage caused by Butler’s insidious brainwashing does affect people decades after the fact. The divorce rate is still high--many many failed relationships especially if one partner did not get sucked into the lies and the other drank deeply of the “Kool-Aid”. More divorces to come, I promise you.
On another front, the continued propensity for arranged marriages is in rare form as we can now report (yes Cult Members- WE are! WE watch, WE will always report)
that Tulsi has been assigned her new male groom. The wedding is to be on April 3- at...you know which beach....Bring your "Go-Pro" cameras and join in the festivities...and don’t forget to post the vids here...... (!)...

[www.staradvertiser.com]

Posted by: jill w ()
Date: February 21, 2015 10:34PM

Just another con artist out there who wants your money. Out of curiosity I looked at his websites.

Why does he sometimes spell his name Kris Butler and other times Chris Butler?

Here is the good news....he as a solution for world peace!

Date: February 24, 2015 08:50PM

is it just like his solutions for Y2K and the H1N1, and the other failed prophecies?
is that we all get air purifiers so we can breathe special air like Chris Butler?
"Kris" Butler? wow they only thought of that now? too funny.
talk about sounding like a homophobe.

wow Tulsi with another male slave. I wonder where they got him? congrats.
will it be a gay wedding? equality and all.

Date: February 24, 2015 10:05PM

Ah...the human condition.

(Fifty) shades of grey.

Date: February 25, 2015 07:51PM

50 Shades of Gay

starring Kris Butler

try burning that out of your minds next Guru puja, disciples of Butler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.