Am I just lizard food?
Posted by: zelig ()
Date: November 24, 2006 02:51AM

[b:db89377ebf]DOUBLETHINK KNIHTELBOUD[/size:db89377ebf]
Cognitive Dissonance
Inattentional Blindness
Honest Falsehood
Confabulation[/b:db89377ebf]

Seems our brains are hard wired to create mind fiction.[/size:db89377ebf][/color:db89377ebf]

[b:db89377ebf]“It is an unsettling thought that perhaps all our conscious mind ever does is dream up stories in an attempt to make sense of our world.”
“The possibility is left open that in the most extreme case all of the people may confabulate all of the time.”
(New Scientist/Everyday Fairytales/7 October 2006)[/b:db89377ebf]

[u:db89377ebf][b:db89377ebf]con•fab•u•late [/b:db89377ebf][/u:db89377ebf] con•fab•u•late [kən fábbyə làyt]
(past and past participle con•fab•u•lat•ed, present participle con•fab•u•lat•ing, 3rd person present singular con•fab•u•lates) vi
1. confer about something: to discuss or have a chat about something (formal)
2. create memory of supposed past events: to give fictitious accounts of past events, believing they are true, in order to cover a gap in the memory caused by a medical condition such as dementia or Korsakoff's syndrome
[Early 17th century. < Latin confabulat- , past participle of confabulari "talk together" < fabula (see fable)] Encarta World English Dictionary

[skepdic.com]
[skepdic.com]

[To the tune of "Hair"]
[b:db89377ebf]Confabulation can be fun, join the holy orgy kamasutra everyone![/b:db89377ebf][/size:db89377ebf]

Options: ReplyQuote
Am I just lizard food?
Date: November 24, 2006 02:56AM

Rama Das (slave name)

Perhaps there should be some kind of reptilian protection agency... I don't trust these metal guys.

Hmmmm, I think the [b:fd0b9de85a]RPA [/b:fd0b9de85a]already exists.......
How about the [b:fd0b9de85a]Science of Reptilian Identity[/b:fd0b9de85a] organization? 8)

Am I just lizard food?
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: November 24, 2006 06:14AM

zelig
Seems our brains are hard wired to create mind fiction.

Some of the greatest writing is fiction. The difference between good and bad fiction is the writer's understanding of - dare I say it - mythology. I know this sounds simplistic (and it is), but for quality mythology to be retold it has to be relevant to the current audience. It's not a coincidence that most stories seem to follow similar patterns (call it the Hero's Journey), but it's painfully obvious when fiction either irritates or inspires. I think Hollywood is a good example. The bulk of stories coming out Hollywood are clearly regurgitated crap because they lack honesty, heart and hard work. Good fiction is blindingly obvious because it hits a nerve in the audience (and, subsequently, it wins awards from Oscars to Pulitzers).

Personally, I trust 'good' fiction over journalistic and/or historic fact (9 out of 10 times) because fiction doesn't pretend to be concrete. Good fiction awakens those mythological impulses we all share as a naked, mortal species.

So, to go back to Icke's 'mind fiction', I ask: what does his message mean symbolically? Royals eating babies? Reptiles concealled as human leaders? A sky once filled with dragons?

I wonder if Icke was taken from his mother's breast too early. Perhaps we all were. Is Icke afraid of the dark? Perhaps we all are to some extent. Does Icke yearn to connect with some other magical, mythological time?

Am I just lizard food?
Date: November 24, 2006 08:11AM

[b:d4b6222b27]Perhaps Icke is just Sicke.[/b:d4b6222b27]

Am I just lizard food?
Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: November 24, 2006 08:42AM

Jack Oskar Larm
Excuse the cliche, but the proof is in the pudding. I agree that Icke cannot be taken seriously with regard to his research abilities. When I mention someone like Barbara Walker and her book (above), she includes 13 pages of bibliography from a very wide range of sources - a testimony to her research abilities (IMO).

you can do a lot of research and you can even research a lot of good books. what you come up with can depend a lot on your abilities to not take the information out of context, change it and to not add new information to otherwise subvert the source texts.

I read a scholarly essay on Kali and her misinterpretation in the western world and Walker came up as one person who had altered the facts to fit her own agenda. Walker supposedly invented new interpretations of Kali's iconography, making her out as more merciless than in reality.

in general, the more wide-ranging the work or the author's field of expertise, the more potential for error because very few true polymaths exist in this world.

I think any person who looks about it would come to the conclusion that power elites own most of the media and the economy. people like David Icke mix up that truth with a whole lot of falsehoods which make that truth harder to accept.

anybody who has studied history or spent any time within any organization knows that conspiracies don't always work and random events happen and even within the same group you have different agendas, schisms, clashes and power grabs. so, rather than an organized conspiracy, more like dozens, some working better than others, would seem the more feasible model.

unless you assume that the reptiles don't have those kinds of problems, I guess.

Am I just lizard food?
Date: November 24, 2006 09:00AM

Rama Das (slave name)
After the book "the Biggest Secret" came out, David Icke was contacted by a man from Africa named Credo Mutwa who is a Zulu Sanusi, an initiate into the shamanistic knowledge of the Zulu people.

so?

tribal initiation doesn't make you infallible.

a few years ago I heard a woman intitiated into an amerindian tradition explain in all seriousness during a talk on their traditions regading the moon that no one had ever landed on the moon. what justification she gave, I don't remember.

and I happen to know the son of an Igbo chief (I don't know if that makes him, himself, an Igbo chief, but no matter). he has all manners of misconceptions congruent with that of Jack Chick if not William Cooper and Icke himself (I suspect he might find Icke not pro-Christian enough for him, but I don't know).

if your tribe has told of of the Dreamtime and your Dreamtime aligns well with the Dreamtime that David Icke clearly spends a lot of the time walking in, the you'll get along. and you can easily happily spend hours together confabulating your worldviews to match together.

Am I just lizard food?
Date: November 24, 2006 09:19AM

Acid Reindeer
Rama Das (slave name)
After the book "the Biggest Secret" came out, David Icke was contacted by a man from Africa named Credo Mutwa who is a Zulu Sanusi, an initiate into the shamanistic knowledge of the Zulu people.

so?

tribal initiation doesn't make you infallible.

a few years ago I heard a woman intitiated into an amerindian tradition explain in all seriousness during a talk on their traditions regading the moon that no one had ever landed on the moon. what justification she gave, I don't remember.

and I happen to know the son of an Igbo chief (I don't know if that makes him, himself, an Igbo chief, but no matter). he has all manners of misconceptions congruent with that of Jack Chick if not William Cooper and Icke himself (I suspect he might find Icke not pro-Christian enough for him, but I don't know).

if your tribe has told of of the Dreamtime and your Dreamtime aligns well with the Dreamtime that David Icke clearly spends a lot of the time walking in, the you'll get along. and you can easily happily spend hours together confabulating your worldviews to match together.

Do you mind explaining some of the ideas held by the Chiefs son?
Maybee we are the ones whith "all manner of misconceptions"

Am I just lizard food?
Date: November 24, 2006 09:48AM

Another armchair quarterback.

I don't know that there is truth to these reptilian accounts, but I feel pretty confident that it is far better to be open to information.

I feel as though I have learned so much from my interaction with Ickes work, Credos work, etc...

Acid, zelig, too, You guys just rush in to rip it down, you rip down Credo Mutwa (Acid) based on nothing but your little idea that indigenous peoples are deluded.

The real reason ALL of you need to tear this stuff to shreds is because you need to feel superior to something threatening, something that seems to contradict your idea of reality.

The sum of following that impulse is just an increasingly jaded and non permeable shell you relate to the world through.

It seems that NONE of you are at all familiar with most of this stuff, only on the most superficial and judgemental levels.

If I see another link to the skeptics dictionary, I will just give up.

Come on! a "Skeptic"? please! that is the laziest and safest position anyone could take, have any of you imagined a Skeptic 200, 300 years ago?
THey would have been the most ignorant and closed minded people... do you think they would entertain ideas of planets, physics, Microbial life?
They would persecute you.

You can bet a skeptic is never the one making grounbreaking discoveries. they are the ones comfortably residing within the accepted comfort zones of thought.

If you are mature, should there be any danger in taking in this information?

Would you not be constantly aware of what you know to be real through your own experience? Would you not be fully capable of knowing exactly where that ends and what are concepts, ideas, information, etc that you have taken in?

Credo Mutwa and David Icke have so much that I have found to be of immense value, and I still know exactly where everything stands.

I have never acted in an irrational manner due to "believing" some book.

I feel very much enriched from taking in the 5 hours of interview with Credo Mutwa, many ideas that stimulate me in a very positive manner.
So much history of the culture and politics of tribal Africa.

I prefer interacting with all information, like actually doing it, not snidely browsing it with my mind made up.

Am I just lizard food?
Date: November 24, 2006 09:59AM

in his world, each Halloween hospital emergency rooms fill up with victims of spiked apples put out there by Satanists.

practioners of Wicca (a word he never uses, but, in context, he clearly means Wiccans) have direct contact with diabolic forces, rather than following a religion quite possibly originated in the last hundred years.

he also takes for granted that real witches did indeed die in the Salem Village witch trials as well as conflating two different towns, the current town of Salem with the former Salem Village, now called Danvers, where the trials actually took place.

if I had some of his books handy I could cite some more specific examples.

Am I just lizard food?
Date: November 24, 2006 10:16AM

Rama Das (slave name)
Acid, zelig, too, You guys just rush in to rip it down, you rip down Credo Mutwa (Acid) based on nothing but your little idea that indigenous peoples are deluded.

I didn't say that. I do think that operating purely on the level of mythic consciousness can lead to cognitive errors when applied too globally.

The real reason ALL of you need to tear this stuff to shreds is because you need to feel superior to something threatening, something that seems to contradict your idea of reality.

the "need to feel superior" part, yeah. I don't feel threatened, more saddened.

If I see another link to the skeptics dictionary, I will just give up.

Come on! a "Skeptic"? please! that is the laziest and safest position anyone could take, have any of you imagined a Skeptic 200, 300 years ago?
THey would have been the most ignorant and closed minded people... do you think they would entertain ideas of planets, physics, Microbial life?
They would persecute you.

I agree with you actually. I find the Skeptics Dictionary lazily researched and full of the same kind of error that I talked about, of claiming universal knowledge of subjects that the author clearly did not know much about. in fact I wrote the author to point out the errors. he responded by changing some of the entries just enough to make the wording ambiguous.

understand though that some of the writers which you personally considerable educational make the same kind of errors.

You can bet a skeptic is never the one making grounbreaking discoveries. they are the ones comfortably residing within the accepted comfort zones of thought.

depends on what you call a skeptic. Persinger and Albert Budden have come with very ingenious theories about UFO's which I will leave to discover on your own. though, again, it depends on what you call a skeptic.

If you are mature, should there be any danger in taking in this information?

the danger lies in how others take it. witness the historical effect of belief in the Bible, the Koran and the [i:8091cb0fa4]Protocols of the Elders of Zion[/i:8091cb0fa4]. all dubious sources of information which have affected world history and continue to do so.

Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.