Australian cult: Anyone recognize this?
Posted by: private eyes ()
Date: June 19, 2007 01:07AM

Furry Faerie, in regards to transfers of cash. It's illegal if people carry it on their person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 19, 2007 01:43AM

[b:d857209d92]From the Jon Ronson, Documentary, Kidneys for Jesus.[/b:d857209d92]

"If he believes that this is the expression of Christianity, than he's got it wrong.

I think he's getting older and desperate that the worlds not hearing him and it just makes him look in some ways pathetic"

[b:d857209d92]David Milliken, Cult Expert[/b:d857209d92]

"...He can come up with something tomorrow that's going to be more dangerous than what he is doing today and everyone will follow him"

[b:d857209d92]Leisel Appel, concerned Grandmother[/b:d857209d92]

Posted by: furry faerie ()
Date: June 19, 2007 02:14AM

private eyes
Furry Faerie, in regards to transfers of cash. It's illegal if people carry it on their person.

In which world is it illegal? Where did you get that information from?

I once withdrew lots of money from the bank then drove to my mother's house and gave it to her. Are you trying to tell me that was illegal?

What you are saying makes no sense.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 19, 2007 02:26AM

furry faerie:

There are legal limitations regarding how much currency a person can carry when traveling from one country to another country.

The US has such legal limits as do other countries.

This avoids moving funds without a record and generally assists law enforcement.

England also has restrictions on funds charities may transfer to another location outside of Great Britain.

Also, a transaction over a certain amount is recorded by bank branches, for example over $10,000.00, within the US.

What private eyes said makes perfect sense.

Posted by: furry faerie ()
Date: June 19, 2007 02:38AM

oh ok, rick. that makes more sense. thanks for giving a bit more detail.

private eyes didn't talk about legal limits or anything like that, just a blanket kind of statement which didn't seem quite right to me.

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: June 19, 2007 03:24AM

[b:8e3f27ddec]JON: Dave emailed me to say he was a little embarrassed about his theatrics. I entered Dave's world a year ago believing the anti cult groups were the crazy ones, comparing Dave to invasion of the Body Snatchers. But now I thought of Dave that way. Why? Because I really don't like him. How could Dave sit there weighing someone's life in his hands and then blame me? I allowed myself to be influenced by Dave. Now I was out of it, I began to dislike him irrationally, I think in the way that former members of sects irrationally resent their leaders after they leave.[/b:8e3f27ddec]

Date: June 19, 2007 12:19PM

[www.amazon.com]

[b:1a98dc6c27]Dave McKay won a trip around the world in 1962, as the U.S. 'Newsboy of the Year'. The trip was sponsored by Qantas Airlines, and it featured five days in Sydney. McKay, who married his high school sweetheart, Cherry, when they were both still in their teens, returned to Australia, to live there with his young wife in 1967. They now have dual citizenship (American and Australian).
[/b:1a98dc6c27]In 1977, after working as a journalist, public relations officer, and television news reader in Australia, McKay decided to "stop writing news and to start making it". The couple started the first alcohol rehabilitation program in the Northern Territory, one that was exclusively for Aborigines, before going to India as a family, in 1984, where they were soon involved in teaching English to local children.

McKay, and his artist son, Kevin, devised a program for teaching English through pictures, which is presently being used in schools in India and Africa.

As other young people joined them in their adventures, a religious community formed around their family. Although they were referred to as 'Gandhians' in India, they preferred to think of themselves as Christians, and the community later adopted the name "Jesus Christians".

The "Jesus Christians" have never been far from controversy, but their most common activity is just to faithfully distribute copies of McKay's books on the streets of such major cities as London, Sydney, and Los Angeles.

The group's best seller is the novel, 'Survivors', which is an attempt to settle some disagreements they have with the popular 'Left Behind' series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. The book had sold over a million copies by mid-2006.

Dave and Cherry presently reside in Sydney, but travel extensively in order to maintain contact with the string of Jesus Christian communities that have sprung from their influence.

Can anybody else tell us more about that first fateful journey to Australia, and then their moving there in '67? (Some sources say '68). I can find no other info on that online, anywhere.

Date: June 19, 2007 12:20PM

Can anybody else tell us more about that first fateful journey to Australia, and then their moving there in '67? (Some sources say '68 ). I can find no other info on that first trip online, anywhere.

Date: June 19, 2007 01:26PM

I wonder how much each book [b:59e5900b31]sold[/b:59e5900b31] for? Let's say that some people gave a few cents and some people gave $ 5 to $ 10. It would be reasonable to assume an average of $ 2 a book. Times that by a 1 million copies. I'd be regularly flying around the world too, if I had that sort of money!

Date: June 19, 2007 01:30PM

And that's just one book. He's got many more. A new one, in fact. If they all sold for $2 each...

Ironically, it's named Listening.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.