Current Page: 3 of 117
Jack Hickman Cult Shoresh Yashi
Posted by: Lynn ()
Date: October 17, 2003 06:11PM

We Got my stepsons out in 1982, but sadly the damage was already done and they were only 7, 6, and 4. They were so afraid that something was going to happen to their mother and father because that is what Hickman told them would happen if they told what he did to them. You would not happen to have a copy of the Parade Magazine that exposed Hickman. I would love to see a copy of that again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: miranda ()
Date: October 17, 2003 07:45PM

That's terrible what happened to your stepsons. How are they now? No, I don't have a copy of the article. Maybe you could get it through the Newsday archives.

Posted by: Lynn ()
Date: October 20, 2003 10:41PM

My stepsons are doing alright althought they could be doing better. The article ran in Parade magazine on a Sunday during the Passover and Easter season. Parade magazine has never answered my inquiries. I have tried to find some of the Newsday articles but living outside of New York it is hard for me to research the Newday archives, without the exact dates. Thank you for any current information you have.
Lynn

Posted by: busyqueenbee ()
Date: April 01, 2004 05:04AM

I was part of this cult for many years in my late teens/early twenties. Yesterday I found out Jack Hickman died. I decided to do a search and came upon this website. The ‘community’ as so it was called relocated to Colorado. There is also another group is Maine, I don’t know who runs that one. I don’t know exactly where they are located or how many members they have. Many of the original members followed him. I don’t know about John Hove (I remember him). I knew Gary and sister also. I always thought highly of him.

While there were strange things that happened in the ‘community’ I never heard any rumors or accounts of Jack Hickman threatening anymore or attempting to split up a marriage. Individuals who left were considered “outsiders”, I never heard of anyone being followed. Members were encouraged to marry within the community.

I was never asked to do anything that made me uncomfortable and was always treated with respect. I never saw (or heard) anyone harmed or threatened in any way. I was brought up a Christian and my religiously believes were all screwed up when I left. I didn’t know if I was a Christian or a Jew. I choose Christianity and my sister choose Judaism.

I’m sorry about the pain some of you experienced and are still going through.

The story of the ‘community’ was featured on the cover of Newsday in the low 1980’s. I saved the cover page but don’t know if I have the article. I’ll take a look. Of course, remembering where I stored the information is a feat in itself.

Rich Green –
You (along with Sal and Bob, I think that was his name) camped next to us during one of the summer camping trips. It was my first camping trip with the community. I don’t recall where it was held. I stayed with the Fayerman’s. Jeanne (Heithaus) and I slept in a tent. Their daughter Mara was 8 months old at the time. We would bring her over in the stroller and the three of you would sing to her. I remember Bob’s girl friend (I can’t remember her name) visiting your campsite.

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: April 01, 2004 10:27PM

miranda
As far as I know there hasn't been any publicity. It seems like he's keeping a low profile this time around. I have to find out what John Hove is up to and whether or not he is still involved.

Hove supposedly converted to orthodox Judaism and the story can be found on the web. If you can't find it, I'll locate it for you.

Date: April 01, 2004 10:31PM

miranda
I saw in one of your posts, you mentioned the Alberti family. I know Steve Alberti. He left the group many years ago and is doing well.

The Alberti's mother, Joan was a Hebrew Christian. She used to host bible studies in her house and I went to high school with her children.
When I came back from Israel in '79, I used to go to a small temple and Steve Alberti used to follow me there. That cult was
DANGEROUS and I harbored a tremendous amount of resentment towards it. Towards Steven to.

Posted by: miranda ()
Date: April 01, 2004 11:22PM

Rich, If you could provide that website regarding John Hove I would appreciate it.

Date: April 02, 2004 03:43AM

miranda
Rich, If you could provide that website regarding John Hove I would appreciate it.
It seems that Hove is allied with Young Israel. My family was involved with the Young Israel of Wavescrest and Bayswater where I was Bar Mitzvah.
Here's the link:
[members.aol.com]
I have some serious questions about Hove's bio as it skirts the issue and doesn't mention his involvement with Jack Hicman's Shoresh Yishai group. Shoresh Yishai was originally 2 churches:
St. John's Lutheran Church of Hicksville, which is now Praise Tabernacle, and Christ Lutheran of East Meadow which I think is now a Catholic Church. Both are on LI, NY.
My involvement with the whole thing has caused me immeasureable damage and when Lubavitch got involved, well, just read my postings. I find it interesting and unfair that a former
cult leader is now a trusted member of the Jewish establishment while, I a devout follower of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach, the Jewish troubadour, is ignored, villified and untrusted by them.
I actually have an instrumental CD of the rabbi's music out. It is officially licensed by the Carlebach family I met Shlomo because Hickman's people used to go to Rabbi Carlebach's concerts.

Posted by: pam ()
Date: April 02, 2004 05:12AM

Hi. My in laws were involved with Shoresh Yishai. They moved off of LI in the mid 80's. Some of them have reconnected with some people in Colorado about 4 years ago and also go to Maine once or twice a year. Can anyone tell me about what goes on in Colorado or in Maine? I know Hickman just died and funeral services were in Maine. The "get togethers" in Maine have been presented to me as friends getting together, that's all. Can anyone tell me anymore? Thanks for your time

Posted by: pam ()
Date: April 02, 2004 05:41AM

miranda
I can tell you that jack hickman is not dead, although he is very sickly. I am not a part of the cult, but I know about it. It is actually gaining in strength and numbers.

Hi Miranda,
I sent you a message, but don't know if you got it. I don't know that much about this site. I did a search for Hickman and this is what can up. My in-laws were in Shoresh Yishai and one of them has reconnected with "friends" in Maine and Colorado. He doesn't tell us much of anything about what he does when he goes to Maine except "visit friends". Is there reason for concern here? Thanks for you r time

Current Page: 3 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.