Current Page: 14 of 19
George Geftakys
Posted by: joe sperling ()
Date: November 15, 2002 12:36AM

I guess I was too quick to say I was joining the "lurkers"---
what I meant is maybe I should shut up for a while---and let others share more of their experiences. I didn't take anything anyone said negatively at all. That quote by St. Francis of Assisi though really says it all---A Christian's actions speak far more than the words you might say. As I shared, even in a small thing like a restaurant visit--if you treat the waitress rudely, make demands, and then leave a small tip, anything you say, or the Bible tract you might leave means nothing. When I look back on the Assembly everything we did served only the Assembly. There were never "food drives" to help the homeless, or donations to the poor. I'm sure many may have done it out of their own hearts in secret, but never as a "church" was anything done in that manner. Even though Paul exhorts us to remember the poor. Everything was "ingrown". As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13(and I put this in paraphrase) that "without love one becomes as a loud trumpet"--you may say a lot, very loudly, and perhaps off-key--yeah, you're making music but it's profiting no one, no one is enjoying it. Thanks to everyone who shares here--God bless you--and to all the "lurkers", and any hurt and damaged sheep--share your feelings here---it will help you greatly, and also bless us too.

---Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
George Geftakys
Posted by: david mauldin ()
Date: November 15, 2002 01:08AM

Hey Joe I have realy enjoyed getting to know you. I really think the main benefit for this kind of site is to vent all the junk thats been piling up inside of us because of our experiences. If you decide to stop contributing then I will have to develope an exclusive doctrine concerning websites. "There are many different websites, yes, But are they truely what is right? pure? Sanctified? (Boy this is scarry) Please don't make me do this!

George Geftakys
Posted by: ex-Geftakys ()
Date: November 15, 2002 02:35AM

Joe.....Amen to that last post, brother! :D

David, with regard to exclusive websites, there is no need to formulate a doctrine. We all know that this website is the only true website....and that the "other" websites are counterfeits, an amalgamation of the secular and spiritual. God will reject them.

Brent

George Geftakys
Posted by: Greg Tobin ()
Date: November 15, 2002 10:06AM

TEN PROMISES FOR TWO BABYLONS
(SEE ABOVE PAGE 7)
1. MT 23:8 “and all ye are brethren”
2. PROV 1:23 “Turn ye at my reproof”
3. 1TIM 2:5 “and one mediator”
4. PS 119:89 “thy word is settled”
5.1COR11:28 “examine himself”
6.2COR 6:16 “I will be their God”
7.MT 6:7 “vain repetitions”
8.ROM 11:6 “no more grace”
9.MK12:7 “the inheritance shall be ours”
10.GAL 5:1 “be not entangled again”

By the way I have heard that I did not leave the Assembly
properly. I thought I did but apparently I made many grave mistakes.
To help others I thought I would put together a check list together.
If you have any ideas, please post or write me.

George Geftakys
Posted by: david mauldin ()
Date: November 15, 2002 10:37AM

Does anyone know anything about my former roomates? Greg Brislawn, Mike Smith, Mike Almonzor, Walter Popoff, Steve Taylor, Mike Miller?

George Geftakys
Posted by: Mark Campbell ()
Date: November 15, 2002 10:41AM

Joe,
I'm glad you are not heading out to lurkerville as I have truly learned a lot from your post's. As we share it brings back things that I had forgotten and since our past is interwoven it strikes a chord. Also discussing the actual events brings the warning messages of scripture re. the Assembly into clear relief for all to view ( also for the truly vast sea of lurking friends). I'm sure your post's have been helpful to many. ( I know they have for me)
David, it really is helpful to have a place where you can vent with those who understand what you've been through and who don't think you're just some kind of whacked out ex-cult member. Now people here may think I'm whacked out, but not because I'm an ex-Assemblyite;) . The process of trying to write out: how I got in, why did I stay, how does the system work, how does one recover, what do I now believe, is a form of therapy for the wounded soul. Maybe everyone doesn't need this, but I think it makes us better people for thinking it through and not just trying to shove it all under some carpet in our soul.
Everyone, I was thinking about a little posted mini series on "Union and Communion": Christian experience vs. the kind of slant that GG brought on the topic. Talking with Terry about it made me think that it might be helpful. I certainly am not claiming expertise with the topic and as always would be sharing my opinion, but it may be quite a revelation to many that George strayed into cultic views here from time to time. I know Christians differ on how they view the Christian life, but I think there are things we must be clear on to be considered Christian in our thinking. I believe it is also important to understand this topic for the one leaving the Assembly, as George's view may be the only one they are aware of. Please feel free to say yea or nay or offer any criticism along the way as I find it very helpful. I would still like to hear what any think of my article on false holiness ( it's okay to be critical, suggest a different tact, or whatever). I would really like to hear what present Assembly members think as I'm sure they must have some opposing arguments. God Bless, Mark

George Geftakys
Posted by: Greg Tobin ()
Date: November 15, 2002 11:07AM

Here’s a start
CHECK LIST FOR LEAVING THE ASSY

1. You must ask others to find out if you have issues with them.
It is not enough to believe and say that you hold no grudges
and love the Lord’s people. If others think you have an issue
with them you must go to them and find out what it is. (MT 5:23)

2. You must know where you are being called to. It is not enough
to walk by faith and trust the Lord to lead you. Before leaving know
specifically where you will be fellowshipping. This knowledge can
be obtained by asking leadership to pray for you. (PROV 16:19)

3. You must meet with the head of the Church. Plurality of leadership
will not suffice in this case. Go to the leader. (There is one in each
autonomous Assy.)

4. You cannot simply leave a corrupt Church. Being a “come outer”
doesn’t apply to the Assy. Try to fix the problems. (2 COR 6:17)

5. You must personally address those that have ignored others. You could be the one that they would hear. (LK 16:30)

6. “a multitude of counselors” does not refer to those outside of the Assy.
(PROV 11:14)

7. “friends” are those committed to Assy thoughts and practices. (PROV 17:17)

8. Remember the “enemy” is working. (Christ is not enough.) (JN 14:6)

“REJOICE IN THE LORD!”

George Geftakys
Posted by: Eric Buchmann ()
Date: November 15, 2002 02:40PM

Hi Greg, David, Joe, Mark, Brent, …

Before I get into my subject matter, I’d like to mention something concerning all the views to this website. I know back in 1998 – 1999 a certain leader charged another leader in front of the leadership and certain door brothers (aka door keepers elsewhere) in the valley to “be diligent to check on the internet frequently”. I didn’t know what was meant by that comment nor the subsequent response of; “I’m checking it once a week.” Now I understand! Leadership must be viewing this site and others like it. So, to those in leadership, I invite your comments on these issues that have been brought up in this forum. No doubt you feel very strongly concerning your convictions. However, your lack of posts to this thread should be worrisome to the “testimony of the assembly.” If you have something to say, then do so. Otherwise your silence means only one thing to me, you aren’t responding because you have no answers. In other words, WE’RE RIGHT!

Concerning what it is like to leave the assembly,...I think I'll have to submit this to [www.geftakysassembly.com]
It's going to be too long for this forum. I'm almost done with it.

BTW, geftakysassembly.com is an excellent website. The reconstruction that is going on is well done.

The Lord bless you all,

Eric

George Geftakys
Posted by: ex-Geftakys ()
Date: November 15, 2002 10:46PM

I would really like to hear what present Assembly members think as I'm sure they must have some opposing arguments. God Bless, Mark [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought the article was excellent, and quite on the mark with regard to the fruit of "Assembly" holiness. Not much to say about it except that it s getting wide readership, more than 100 page views!

I guess the only thing I might add is that you did well by bringing Sindy on board! ;)
Brent

George Geftakys
Posted by: joe sperling ()
Date: November 16, 2002 12:25AM

Mark----

You had mentioned being in contact with Rand Bates. Could you forward his address to me? jsperling@fralock.com---I always
liked Rand a lot. I still have two of his drawings--he was a very good artist.It's funny how people read spirituality differently. I remember telling a leading brother that I really thought the Lord shone through Rand brightly. I said this because Rand was always so kind, and several times I saw him weeping during worship when hymns about the cross were sung("Oh sacred head once wounded" etc.) The brother started laughing and said
"What makes you think Rand is so spiritual? When he gets up to give a word it's usually pretty weak". The brother then put Rand down for the way he dressed too. I was amazed at this. But I realize now that he was judging Rand on outward appearances and vocal strength, etc. rather than really seeing the fruits of Christ in a person. I'd really like to to talk to Rand again--so if you can forward his address to me. Thanks a lot. --Joe

Current Page: 14 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.