Current Page: 5 of 9
Mahesh and money
Posted by: Martin Adanac ()
Date: May 18, 2006 04:47AM

Hi, again, Rose -- The book is by Paul Mason. Paul is no friend of Mahesh, but one of the most knowledgable about what Mahesh was doing.

TM in and of itself, is not such a bad thing. It allows people to rather instantly gain some understanding of how to meditate. After the Beatles dumped him, Mahesh fairly expunged from any TM teaching anything worthwhile, turning his basic relaxation technique into, as I said in another message, an industrail strength vacuum hooked directly to your bank account!

Post-TM I continued my search for meaning and finally ended up where I was before I heard of TM: interested in Buddhism. The two can seem quite similar as Mahesh [i:f11bacedd6]borrowed[/i:f11bacedd6] from Buddhism and any other teaching he could in order to fabricate his "teaching".

But if you can look closely, a very singular difference between TM and Buddhism or between the legitimate and the counterfeit becomes clear: The legitimate spiritual practises and teachings exist to enable YOU whilst the counterfeit (like TM, Scientology and so on) exist to enable the head guy at your expense!!!!!

The counterfeit takes your money and assures you you are doing the right thing. The legitimate helps you look into and discover for yourself, every step of the way, whether or not you are progressing according to YOUR needs.

Believe me, it's a hellofa hard trick telling the two apart. But, which used car salesman would you trust, the one what says [i:f11bacedd6]trust me[/i:f11bacedd6] or the one who says [i:f11bacedd6]try it out, take it to your mechanic and ask for advice[/i:f11bacedd6]!

I think we have to approach spiritual desires in the same intelligent way we would buy a car or a house or a college to which we'd entrust our children. We can never, until after the fact, know if we've done the right thing, and even then we might not be able to decide in a black/white kind of way, but the point would seem to be to always remain watchful, to evaluate and re-evaluate at every step along the way. At least then, even if you decide it was all a mistake, you can know that you did the best you could.

With TM, all the decisions are pre-made by Mahesh and you are at fault if you don't do everything his way. I think that's a real huge mistake, or, as Mahesh used to say [i:f11bacedd6]great big huge[/i:f11bacedd6]!

You mention the so-called 'sidhi' programme. Mahesh, as I pointed out in another message somewhere in this thread, made it all up. He needed money because he'd spent it all on the International Staff! I spent a lot of time evaluating translations and finally making my own; I can assure you that what Patanjali had in mind does not seem in any way to resemble what Mahesh did. I see the third book of the yoga sutras more as a set of ko'ans than "techniques" to achieve enlightenment. I think Patanjali basically asks you to compare your meditation experiences (he teaches meditation in book one) with the contemplations of book three. I think a great deal of book two and probably most of book four were later additions; the break up into four parts also later and somewhat arbritary.

Curiously, Mahesh's explanation of [i:f11bacedd6]samyama [/i:f11bacedd6]is more or less quite good, except his use of it, as his use of TM, is counterfeit. No matter what calming method you are using, Benson's relaxation response, Buddhist samatha, Zen just sitting, at a very quiet level, when thoughts are not wild and chatoic, comtemplating, for example, the strength of an elephant, is not about GETTING the strength of an elephant, but about coming to know, just as it is, what strength is and hence, what your own strength is.

Our own strength is limited by our psychological hamperings. We don't do things because we are afraid we'll fail or we think we simply cannot. But coming to know, just as it is, what strength is by using an external example, we gradually come to recognize our own strength. The elephant is not concerned about a tree in its way. It goes where it wants when it wants if it wants. Obstacles are meaningless. It can easily go around what is too big and through what is not. If you have ever accidently banged your hand on something, you know for one thing how hard you hit something (your strength), but, of course, you also recognize that intentionally you could never hit your hand that hard on purpose. The strength is there; recognizing it, you recognize, gradually, how to use it!

Where did Mahesh ever teach you that, eh? He preferred you sitting around paying him for technique after technique whilst you waited for something to happen.

M[/i]

Options: ReplyQuote
Mahesh and money
Posted by: Rose ()
Date: May 18, 2006 11:34PM

That was very well written, Mr. Adanac! You know your stuff! I quite agree with you about the strength of an elephant 'sidhi'. I was fortunate in that I always saw TM and the advanced techniques as having a much deeper meaning and purpose than the surface. I 'got' it about the elephant being about the nature of strength rather than the accumulation of strength.

For instance when I learned Happiness, I was struck so profoundly...not by a greed to MAKE myself be happy by repetition, but rather by the seeds and pockets of unhappiness in my being that I saw so clearly revealed. I saw very smoothly just how much of myself was made up of "NOT-HAPPINESS" I used all the techniques as self-referral. I saw them as a way to see my own stuff and challenge myself to growth.

I think that is what is so odd about TM. The technique seems to be only as beneficial as the intent and evolution of the person using it. Perhaps you differ in that opinion, but I so often saw very sweet pure people around FF giving very good service to themselves and others...while some of the darker characters (some of those in 'power') in the movement, had evil intent and crappy dark souls. And lots of people who were unstable to begin with or just delicate...they were the ones who really suffered, going off the deep end, really having psychotic breakdowns. And no one to help them, no one to even acknowledge them!

So make no mistake, gentle readers! TM has cult-like manifestations in the way it is administered, and Mr. Adanac is correct that it is a Giant Hoover intent on sucking the finances out of anyone who joins.

When I learned TM, it cost 200 dollars and I sold my television to get the initial technique. Now I believe it is 2000 dollars to learn. The more money you have, the higher up in the 'movement' you can get. The higher up in the 'movement', the paler, the skinnier, and the sicklier you become.

At the very top of the heap, you will be ghostly pale, cadaverous, unsexed, won't be able to speak above a whisper, won't be able to say BOO! to a Goose, will NOT be able to entertain negativity and therefore when your car breaks down you will believe -- conversely -- that something good is happening and at the same time flee and writhe in tortured, convoluted denial at your OWN MIND's tendency to think, "Shit! A freakin' flat tire! I'm PISSED!"

Mahesh and money
Date: May 18, 2006 11:39PM

And! Since this thread is really about Mahesh and Money, check out this url to see where some of the money goes: www.globalcountry.org Mahesh has amassed enough fortune to start his own government 'net' with countries, capitols, ministers, his own currency (I'd love to get a look at his dollar bills. Do they have Guru Dev on them or himself?)

And lots and lots of buildings made of Gold. And a chariot made of GOLD. It's like some archaic pre-pubescent's dream of making a fairy tale come true. With YOUR money!

Mahesh and money
Date: May 19, 2006 01:31AM

[i:b262455b49]At the very top of the heap, you will be ghostly pale, cadaverous, unsexed, won't be able to speak above a whisper, won't be able to say BOO! to a Goose, will NOT be able to entertain negativity and therefore when your car breaks down you will believe -- conversely -- that something good is happening and at the same time flee and writhe in tortured, convoluted denial at your OWN MIND's tendency to think, "Shit! A freakin' flat tire! I'm PISSED!"[/i:b262455b49]

Dear Rose -- have you ever got his number! Yes. only such people can truly serve Mahesh, because they can only give and give and give and never get in his way.

And I wholly agree that some people actually do benefit from TM by understanding it at a level not of Mahesh's choosing. While I am sure he'd be delighted that you got it right, he'd make sure you were sent to teach in Lower Slobvolia or some other Li'l Abneresque obscure destination so you didn't infect any of the paying customers. People who benefit (the right way) from TM tend to see what a wee bit of crap-on-the-shoe he and his whole outfie is.

Mahesh and money
Date: May 19, 2006 05:00AM

**giggles** :roll:

Life lesson #435,000: Don't just look at the master, look at who serves Him, before you make up your mind to end up like them.

Mahesh and money
Date: May 19, 2006 05:43AM

OH, I also want to comment on something that Toni said in an earlier post about a lady who made it her goal to boink the many-headed Purusha guys. (wrong head). That made me laugh so hard! For those who are just lurking, that is a name given to the celibate branch of TM. Yes, they don't tell you about that at an introductory lecture, either! Later it is revealed to you that if you want to get anywhere in your path to enlightenment, you really need to become celibate. It was quite hard on the men who had led healthy vital sex lives before.

Basically, I think it got them so twisted in their own sexual frustrations that they didn't have the hormonal stability to ask 'why am I rounding for 8 hours a day and paying for the privilege?' According to the previous poster Martin, that is Mahesh's goal! Only the distempered freak can serve him with no questions asked.

Most of the women I talked to had it as a goal to nail a Purusha or two. I'm not kidding! We figured they were ripe meat, and of course the purpose of a female in the movement is to marry a Governor and nothing lower in status will do! Since most of the governors were away on courses or off doing Mahesh's bidding if a group came to town for one of those 7000 thingamajigs it was like a feeding frenzy.

Mahesh and money
Date: May 19, 2006 06:19AM

[i:39c2cddd1a]Don't just look at the master, look at who serves Him, before you make up your mind to end up like them.[/i:39c2cddd1a] This and your above great one-liner [i:39c2cddd1a]boink the many-headed Purusha guys[/i:39c2cddd1a] really made me laugh. You are so well-spoken!

Dissing (or is that dyssing?) TM, TMO, Mahesh and the lunacy of the whole thing is marvellously therapeutic in that one begins to see one's own growth and healing. It isn't good to casually and caviliarly engage in hurting others, of course. But here, we have something to share and the sharing is a means of recovery. This isn't always possible for some: TM was devastating and their lives fairly ruined. I hope our banter will encourage anyone damaged by some cult (even the cult of parents) to simply begin to talk about it.

Who cares if some twit thinks you sound like a moron. You aren't talking for his/her benefit, but for YOUR OWN. Talking begats (as King James was so oft want to say) distance, understanding, insight, perspective and healing.

I don't know why, it just does.

A forum like this also makes it easy as you soon discover that (1) you are far, far from alone and (2) it is safe. There will always be some plummy git only too happy to hide his/her damage behind the façade of being destructive about yours. Such people are pitiable and pathetic; but they are damaged too, so even they have lessons to teach us.

Mahesh and money
Date: May 19, 2006 10:28AM

Thanks for the compliment! I'm all for the rousing and rousting round of sarcasm when it's purpose is cathartic! (sp) And that seems to be what this forum at least, allows... maybe the negative vibe will give one of the tm drones a little shiver up their spine. Might serve as a wake-up call, or might just pass as 'stress release'.

Question, Martin: What did Mahesh [i:a91a9a6330]really[/i:a91a9a6330] think about householders? I totally don't get that part of it. He supposedly gave TM to the world and to the worldly to be able to function perfectly as householders, and yet he so obviously prefers the celibate sanyasins as his minions. And rounding up every available unattached female devotee into the Nunnery of Mother Divine...what is that for? He doesn't get much use out of Mother Divine, really. My understanding of them is that they are all so sickly all the time. Their purpose is to eat chocolate and get menstrual cramps. That's it.

At least a legion of 'skin boys' makes sense from the perspective of always having a fresh supply of drones and clones to do his bidding.

Hmm, no spell checker available...forgive my bad errors, please!

Mahesh and money
Posted by: Toni ()
Date: May 19, 2006 02:02PM

Rose
Question, Martin: What did Mahesh [i:fc81155667]really[/i:fc81155667] think about householders? .... yet he so obviously prefers the celibate sanyasins as his minions. And rounding up every available unattached female devotee into the Nunnery of Mother Divine...what is that for? He doesn't get much use out of Mother Divine, really. My understanding of them is that they are all so sickly all the time. Their purpose is to eat chocolate and get menstrual cramps. That's it.

At least a legion of 'skin boys' makes sense from the perspective of always having a fresh supply of drones and clones to do his bidding.!

Rose, Good to see you here. Clicking through this website will help you sort out what you were exposed to.

It's about the money, honey!

"Householders" do things like buy houses, have children, school expenses. That's less money for advanced courses, advanced techniques, etc. The successful could have marriages, as long as the marriages supported enlightenment.

Oh, but M fixed that problem.. private schools for the kids, and stapthya vedic arhcitecture, Ayurvedic products for the whole family.
bladdity blah.

Then there were celibate marriages of leading manniquin couples.
So, what was THAT about? Why marry?

In the seventies, Keith Wallace was dating supermodel Samantha Jones. Keith Wallace was president of MIU. Keith performed original TM brainwave studies w/ Herbert Benson (Relaxation Response), published in Scientific American.

Keith wanted to marry Samantha.
M denied Keith permission to marry her.

Keith got Samantha pregnant - whoops!
Keith married Samantha w/o M's permission.

M then dethroned Keith from MIU presidency, and Keith was immediatly brought to Seelisberg for an extended time of work w/ M.

Samantha, new bride and pregnant, was alone in faculty housing at MIU for the first months of her marriage.

Keith still at it:

[www.expertclick.com]

Larry Domash became next MIU president. Larry was an unmarried physicist w/ original writings about Unified Field = Transcendence.
Bevan was an Australian upstart at that point.

"Mother Divine" women.. I couldn't ever figure them out either! Couldn't hold a conversation with any of them. Brains of tofu.

Purshites (my nickname).. Instead of underwear they wore silk wraps (what were those called?) because silk supported celibacy and the movement of energy through the chakras. Don't ask me how they wrapped silk to lay flat beneath their business suits.
Martin, do you know?

There was a period when Purusha men wore hidden swastikas beneath their neckties, shirts, and rudraksha beads.
My mother had a swastika somewhere.
How's that for power symbolism?

"TM is for deep rest, relaxation, improved brain waves, it's not a religion, etc."

B.S.

Oh, so much more. Twisted reality.
Thank heavens we did not jump fully into that rabbit hole.
Watching it surround us was enough!
Sad for those folks. Wonder how, if ever, they leave.

Many are afraid to leave. They are acutely aware of their inability to function elsewhere. That is the saddest of all... one step at a time they fell in. deep sigh.

later gators,
Toni

Mahesh and money
Date: May 20, 2006 12:14AM

Hi, Toni and Rose (there were no spelling inexactitudes)

When I was Mahesh's secretary Purusha and Mother Divine hadn't come to be and MIU and World Plan Centres were in their infancy if not fetal stages.

I never met anyone who appeared to work as persistently and focused(ly) as Mahesh. But by the 70's, he wasn't working as he had pre-Beatles. Now he was managing the work of others. Bevan was not only an Australian (I thought he was from New Zealand) up-start, but already a long-time celibate monk, probably the first non-Hindu. Bhramchary Bevan (now, I hear, Mahesh's successor, Jai Guru Bev).

The Purusha thing arose out of demand. It used to be called M Group. I think Mahesh loathes women and putting them in their place, Mother Divine, suites his sense of power. He was helped by women like Jamima Pitman (who also gave Zuben Metha his start). He bedded lots of the groupies from early days, something Joyce Collin-Smith notes in her book [i:9588232685]Call No Man Master[/i:9588232685].

Householders, as Toni illuminates, should exist for his (Mahesh's) maintenance. I wouldn't have seen that as I dumped Mahesh and TM right after the 'sidhi' crapola hit the fan.

Mahesh is a control freak. Plain and simple. This didn't show pre-Beatles, but grew and grew as he had bigger and bigger TTC in Europe and his manipulative abilities expandes through World Plan Centres.

Mahesh was very, very clever: making huge numbers of teachers and then coming out with new techniques. First he made a market and then he sold that market what it wanted to buy, first Age of Enlightenment techniques (which were a flop), 6-month courses, Governor courses and 'sidhi' courses.

Controlling his people, perhaps as Guru Dev controlled him, may be the only possible profile of this wee shite of a bugger of a little man.

A lot happened after I left him and TM. When I returned (courtesy of the Internet) to TM interests, it had all changed into something gut wrenching and wholly ugly.

Rose, Toni knows more about the external side of TM than I ever hope to. I know a little about the internals from my experience being his secretary. John Knapp published everything about TM techniques on his web site trancenet.com (or maybe .org). It is no longer running, but there is a link to the archive of it at Falling Down the TM Rabbit Hole, a fantastic web site that explores the psychological impact of TM.

Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.