Current Page: 59 of 748
Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: October 21, 2009 04:13AM

The numbers of views for this thread are still increasing. Other websites discussing Nichiren Buddhism, like Fraught With Peril (Charles Atkins' Phantom City blog, Mark Rogow's Kempon Hokke blog), the new Buddha Jones site, and SokaGakkaiUnofficial have also discussed and quoted parts of this thread. We ARE getting our information out there!

This next quote is also from Fraught with Peril (www.fraughtwithperil.com), "A Chapter Leaders' Diary" Blog,

------------------------------Beginning of Quote-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is Buddhist Learning Review time in the SGI. We study a gosho excerpt every month and then in October take a test, that we can't call a "test," on what we studied during the year. Too many members are freaked out by a "test" so we call it a "review." There is a study booklet to help you study for the study review. This year the actual test/review was published in "The World Tribune" in September. So now the members can take the test/review and study the actual questions before taking the test/review. Part I is on Buddhist Concepts - multiple choice - no problem. Part II is on The Life of Nichiren Daishonin - again multiple choice.

Part III is on Pres. Ikeda's lectures on the gosho. These are write your own answer questions and multiple choice. I had to look up the fill in questions because they were on PI's lecture as put forth by SGI-USA or at least the publishers of The Living Buddhism magazine.

Now my favorite section - Part IV Soka Spirit: The Errors of the Nichiren Shoshu Priesthood - multiple choice.

It has been 20 years, folks, isn't it time to let it go and move on? I especially like the last question which has the "all of the above" answer. We have meetings where we (not me!) talk about infiltrating NST meetings. Really? Why can't we get over this? There are members of SGI who are passionate about Soka Spirit. They have 12 hour chanting sessions with the goal of closing temples or destroying NST. I wonder if they think they will get the "Daigohonzon" back? It just makes us look more cult-like and I don't like it. Man, we really hold a grudge... 20 years and it's still going. Can this be good for us? Are we creating "bad" karma? The new talk is that after 50 years in the United Sates (next year is the 50th anniversary of SGI in The US), we will be mainstream. How can we be mainstream when we still think we have the ONLY answer? Not only do we bash other religions, but we bash other Nichiren sects! This leads me to question 4:

The "devil king of the sixth heaven" is a metaphor for what?
The correct answer is
a. The tendency toward arrogance and disregard for others.

Draw your own conclusions.

The final section is extra credit. These are based on President Ikeda's lectures.

Posted by nt at October 19, 2009 10:03 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Comments

The Learning Review is orchestrated dystopian fiction: think like this, not for yourself. I went to a Soka Spirit meeting in North Hollywood where the few participants attending were being encouraged to chant for the members, friends suffering from delusion, to leave NS so the temple would close. They would fax Japan this determination at the end of each meeting as a gift to their mentor. How's that for cult like Jim Jones shit?

And a big PS that I view as a positive for humanity, people becoming aware:

Half of the SGI-USA leadership in the state of Oregon have been summarily render "unqualified" because they refused to sign the mandatory "think and act like this" leadership agreement form.

Posted by: Joe Isuzu at October 20, 2009 02:08 AM
----------------------------------------------------------End of Quote------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, SGI study -- still focusing on the evil priests...and studying Ikeda's guidance over the Lotus Sutra or the Gosho (writings) of Nichiren Daishonin. Extra credit for being a good little brownie and memorizing President Ikeda's speeches.

And yet, I was happy to see that half of the SGI leaders in the state of Oregon refuse to sign the "leadership agreement form." Does anyone know if that's the same thing as the Code of Conduct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 21, 2009 07:23AM

I believe that "Joe Isuzu" meant the "Code of Conduct." I went to the SGI_USA site and found nothing when I did a search for "leadership agreement form."

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: October 22, 2009 10:01AM

The Soka Gakkai claims their members are Buddhas. The reality is that the SGI philosphy has absolutely no power to create Buddhas and that is why they need a code of conduct for leaders [that must be signed by all leaders]. Buddhas don't need a code of conduct. They are perfect embodiments of the Law of Namu Myoho renge kyo. They, within themselves, have all merits and virtues, universal ethics and morals of all peoples and religions. It is an admission by the SGI that there are no leaders in the SGI who are Buddhas. If they are not Buddhas, they should neither be emulated nor are they capable of giving guidance.

Nichijew

Re: Former SGI members:Code of Conduct
Date: October 26, 2009 06:21AM

I don't object to SGI having a Code of Conduct per se. Humans are fallible; organizations whether religious, secular, corporate, educational, political, or social, SHOULD inform leaders and members what behavior is allowed and what isn't. Dishonest and unethical people can infiltrate any organization, regardless of its doctrines. I think that some parts of the Code are quite reasonable: not using SGI meetings to promote your business, not borrowing money from fellow members, not engaging in sexual misconduct, treating other members with respect.

I do object to the following parts of the Code.

==========Excerpts, SGI Code of Conduct.=======================================================

The SGI-USA asks that all district through national leaders, including activity/special interest group leaders, sign the Code of Conduct for Leaders Signature Form, demonstrating their understanding and acceptance of the SGI-USA Code of Conduct for Leaders. Not signing, therefore not accepting the Code of Conduct for Leaders, disqualifies one from leadership in the SGI-USA.

Abide by the guidance and activity guidelines of the SGI and participate in and promote the kosen-rufu activities of the SGI, including, but not limited to, propagation, publications and contributions;

Study and apply the writings of Nichiren Daishonin and the guidance of SGI President Ikeda to deepen my faith and understanding of Nichiren Buddhism;

Restrict my leadership role to my assigned organizational responsibility—not giving direction in organizational matters to members in other organizational units—and connect members to their direct organizational leaders and never promote exclusive relationships between members and any leader, including myself;

Not engage in any other behavior that disrupts the harmonious unity of the SGI or disturbs the faith and practice of its members.*
-------------------------------End of Excerpt, SGI Code of Conduct----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I object to these parts of the Code because they are not really about Buddhism, they are only about maintaining SGI, the organization. Contribute money, subscribe to publications, and follow the words of Ikeda. As in the military, just do the job that your leaders tell you to do. Tell the people under you to do the same. Recruit new blood to do the same. Do not become too popular or gain too much influence in the organization; everyone is supposed to be focused on Ikeda.

The last sentence, "Not engage in any other behavior that disrupts the harmonious unity of SGI or disturbs the faith and practice of its members," particularly bothers me. They can mean ANYTHING that a leader wants them to mean...if you do anything that your leaders or fellow members don't like, you can be forced out, as Byrd, of Fraught With Peril, was. That's the wedge that SGI will use to crack members or groups who ask too many questions, criticize SGI, or ask SGI to change.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: October 26, 2009 02:19PM

Hi Tsukimoto,

I think you are right. SGI does not have a doctrine, they shift (exaggerating it a bit) on a daily basis what SGI stands for form a Buddhist point of view.
What I find interesting is that Ikeads thoughts, or what is being declared as his works, is being made equal to Nichirens teachings.
Its about confirming loyalty of the SGI leadership to the organisation. What does it mean? On one side its a sign that loyalty from SGI's perspective was not guaranteed anymore, secondly it will also mean that some people have to listen to their conscience – so this whole thing could back fire. It is also the opening call for a witch hunt.
Again, the SGI shows more and more similarities to the communist, they now seem to have entered the Stalin era.

Date: October 27, 2009 11:26AM

SPECIAL ISSUE • WORLD TRIBUNE C where "C" stands for contribution.

Nichiren Daishonin says that in their present lives their offering will become a “prayer” and a “treasure.” He thus indicates that, through the protective
functions of all Buddhas, their sincere faith in offering a robe will become a cause for the fulfillment of all their desires and the accumulation of immense benefit… For an offering of but a single unlined robe, the Daishonin promises eternal good fortune and benefit. This is because he perceives the sincerity with which the robe is imbued. (Learning From the Gosho, p. 23)

BY KIMBERLY HERRMANN

I often think about our SGI-USA pioneers and the tremendous efforts they made in the early days of the Soka Gakkai. I picture them working so hard for kosen-rufu day and night, and I feel such great appreciation. Because of their selfless dedication and that of SGI President Ikeda, we can all work together toward kosen-rufu in America. I often also grapple with how I can repay my debt of gratitude to all of them and to the members of our precious organization. What can I give back to ensure that others’ lives can be affected in the same way mine has? Thinking about these questions is what inspires me to contribute all I can without hesitation during our yearly May Commemorative Contribution. But I won’t lie. There are times when I feel stressed out about my goals for the contribution activity. My husband, James, and I make our personal contribution goal every year, but I sometimes freak out about how we’re going to actually accomplish this. I think: There’s not enough time. Where is the money going to come from? Maybe we should change our goal. But then I remember how, when I was younger, my family would make a goal every year, too, and I had no anxiety about it. Back then it seemed so simple. I appreciated making friends at the community center and having youth performing groups practice every week. I loved practicing Buddhism with my family, and I loved telling other people about the SGI. So making contributions seemed natural. I would do chores, save some of my lunch money and gather as much as I could so I’d have something to offer when the time came. As a family, we would go to the community center and each of us would make our own contribution. I remember feeling so excited to go, and I’d be welcomed so warmly by the men’s and women’s division members and pioneers. The people at the contribution table would always thank me for my sincerity and encourage me that my donation would help keep the community center open, keep the lights on or even buy toilet paper. And they would say that because of my offering others could change their lives, and kosen-rufu could continue to advance.

Our appreciation and sincerity lead to our taking action for kosen-rufu, which includes making financial contributions. As Nichiren writes, “When one encounters this sutra, one will overflow with happiness and shed tears of joy” (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p. 1027).

In one SGI-USA region, the Jr. High and High School students like to contribute together during the May activity. Just like my family did when I was that age, they all make their goals and work to accomplish them. They save up their allowances and maybe do extra things around the house, but the greatest thing to witness is how they move toward their goal with a sincere spirit to show their appreciation, fully enjoying the activity. I know for myself when I have this same sincere heart of contribution, my life expands even more. That’s why I feel it’s so wonderful if each of us can make a determination to contribute—so we can experience the joy of offering and even more benefit in our practice. All our sincere offerings to advance kosen-rufu help us build our great fortune. For my husband and I, the May Commemorative Contribution has also been a time when we can share Buddhism with others. We have held garage sales at our home on the weekends during the contribution month so we could contribute even more—and do a little spring cleaning! During that time, we have met all of our neighbors; and making new friends, of course, gives us the opportunity to
share Nichiren Buddhism. Without fail, at least one person is interested in learning more about our Buddhist practice and the SGI. When people practice Nichiren Buddhism, they can change their lives forever. I always imagine:

What if no one had shared Buddhism with my mom? What if our pioneers didn’t work so hard or people didn’t make contributions to Nichiren or the Soka Gakkai in its founding days? I then remember the faces of our pioneers and the pride they have in making extraordinary financial sacrifices in true Spirit of Offerings. It is ten thousand, million times greater than one would by offering countless treasures to the Buddha for one million kalpas.(p. 1097)

Though one may perform meritorious deeds, if they are directed toward what is untrue, then those deeds may bring great evil, but they will never result in good. On the other hand, though one may be ignorant and make meager offerings, if one presents those offerings to a person who upholds the truth, one’s merit will be great. How much more so in the case of people who in all sincerity make offerings to the correct teaching! (p. 1134)

From SGI President Ikeda

In the first place, it says, “far and wide they offer alms to my relics.” This should not be taken as encouragement to make offerings to relics in a literal sense. Rather, it teaches the importance of having direct connection in faith with the Buddha. The highest offering to the Buddha is not to worship something reminiscent of the Buddha. Rather, it is to inherit the Buddha’s spirit. In other words, the highest offering lies in struggling to manifest, as one’s own way of life, even a part of the spirit of the Buddha. For us today, this means chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to the Gohonzon and developing activities for kosen-
rufu. (Lectures on the Expedient Means & Life Span Chapters, vol. 3, p. 116)

[Regarding the gift of an unlined robe from a sincere couple, From The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin Those who offer even a flower or a stick of incense to such a sutra have offered alms to a hundred thousand million Buddhas in their previous existences. (p. 654)

Shakyamuni Buddha teaches, however, that one who makes offerings to the votary of the Lotus Sutra in the latter age for even a single day will gain benefit a hundred, thousand,

MESSAGE FROM THE SGI-USA YOUNG WOMEN’S LEADER

Overflowing With Joy

Making financial contributions, even with limited means. It is because of their strong conviction that the development of the Soka Gakkai will change the world, giving people an opportunity to transform their suffering.

That’s why I feel our contributions of goods and of the Law are so important. Now is the time, especially for youth, to repay our debt of gratitude and realize this is our organization and its development and protection is our responsibility. As disciples of President Ikeda, let’s take pride in our opportunity to take full responsibility to challenge and win in this May Commemorative Contribution.

WT Appreciation and sincerity help build fortune. Because of the selfless dedication of many precious pioneers, writes Kim Herrmann,we can ‘work
together toward kosen-rufu in America.’ (Above) A discussion after an event, Santa Monica, Calif.

LISA HOLLIS D SPECIAL ISSUE • WORLD TRIBUNE

Buddhism traditionally refers to three kinds of offerings—offerings of goods, of fearlessness and of the Law. The offering of goods refers to material gifts, including money, that are made to the Buddha and the Buddhist community. It also includes the offerings of water,candles, incense, etc., which we make to the Gohonzon. An offering of fearlessness means relieving others’fears and giving them courage. An offering of the Law means sharing the teachings of Buddhism with others.

All of these offerings are part of our practice. We give of our time and energy as well as our material resources through our efforts in faith, practice and study. As Nichiren Daishoninaffirms, “It is the heart that is important” (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p.949), so our intention when we give a gift is key. As we continue to exert ourselves to propagate Nichiren Buddhism— to realize kosenrufu—we create value that will become apparent in our lives as absolute victory.

The SGI-USA conducts a May Commemorative Contribution each year that begins April 28—the date Nichiren first proclaimed Nam-myoho renge kyo in 1253. This activityends this year on June 11.That period also encompasses Soka Gakkai Day on May 3,the June 6 birthday (in 1871) of the first Soka Gakkai president, Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, and Soka Gakkai Women’s Day on June 10.

Financial contributions can be made in person by cash, check or money order; by mail with a check, money order or by credit card using a postage-paid Business Reply Envelope; or by credit card online at www.sgiusa. org. (A contribution link will be activated during the contribution period.)

In addition to the May Commemorative Contribution, financial offerings can be made in any amount at SGI-USA facilities and at monthly world peace prayer meetings throughout the year.

All contribution income is used to promote our religious activities in the United States based on the Buddhist values of peace, culture and education. Funds are used to develop additional facilities and provide operating expenses for existing ones, such as rent, utilities, maintenance, office supplies, insurance and administration.

Soka Gakkai International- USA is a religious nonprofit organization, and gifts to it are tax-deductible under the provisions of Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3). Our Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) is 95-2265667.

Basic Guidelines for the SGI-USA May Commemorative Contribution

BY MELISSA MAREK East Stroudsburg, Pa.

By age 31, I was unemployed and collecting Social Security disability. My life had spun out of control. I had reached the limits of a lifelong battle with an eating disorder. I was binging and gorging on food on a daily basis to numb the feelings of worthlessnessthat had always haunted me. I was an addict, and my drug of choice was food. Because of all this, I was too obese and depressed to hold down a job. My work history was spotty and unreliable. I took low paying, unskilled jobs and quit them shortly after I began. But none of this mattered much. After all, my mother was taking all the financial responsibility for both of us, and I was free to wallow in self-pity and curse my unhappy life. I had allowed myself to grow from an emotionally and verbally abused child into a selfish ingrate of an adult. I had a large chip on my shoulder and felt the world owed me a break. During the first 10 years of my Buddhist practice, I carried this attitude into the SGI-USA.

As far as I was concerned, SGI USA meetings just happened. The community center was always open, and the lights were always on. They’d better be. I needed to be encouraged, darn it. So you can imagine the eyerolling and arm-folding I did when it was time to discuss financial contributions. Please! This was clearly not my concern. I had my own problems. I needed to get my own benefits.

I never made a financial contribution to the SGI-USA because I never saw a reason to. I was afraid to part with what little money I had. I also had the convenient excuse of not having the “proper attitude.” I always heard that one should give out of a sense of appreciation, not for the expectation of a large financial reward. Well, forget it then. If I was going to give, I had best be assured that I was going to get. My SGI-USA district is in a spread-out rural area. When asked to contact other district members or give them rides to activities, I would often do so, but only when I was asked; I never took the initiative. I also felt as though I were somehow less than them. When I heard other people sharing their experiences in faith, I thought that I could not practice the way that they did or have experiences like theirs. As the years went by, I got more involved in planning my district’s annual women’s meeting (held in February). I would help by calling and writing women in my district and encouraging them to attend. As I did this, I found that it felt good to help. During the first two months of 2004, I made a lot of efforts for the success of the women’s meeting, as well as for my own happiness. The day after the meeting, my life changed drastically. My mother’s job of 52 years closed its doors for good. At first, I was glad that my mother and I could spend more time together. That feeling didn’t last long. I was increasingly irritated that she was always around, angry that she wasn’t trying to get another job. And I was mean and nasty to her for not putting aside a nest egg for us to live on. The anger gave way to fear as the days became weeks, and the weeks became months, and still no money was coming in. I whined to a senior in faith, who pleasantly suggested that I chant and reflect on my attitude, as well as my part in all this. I hung up on that leader, completely insulted. My attitude? My part? Don’t they know I am the victim here?

With no one else to feel sorry for me and no one else to whom I could complain, I began chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in front of the Gohonzon. I cried, Why me? Why am I so poor? As I chanted, I slowly realized how other SGI-USA members were always there for me, and I felt grateful for the relationships that I had formed in the organization. The wisdom I derived from chanting was that my material poverty was a physical manifestation of my poor attitude and lack of appreciation for all the benefit I had received through my practice of Nichiren Buddhism. I was embarrassed and ashamed of my behavior, and vowed to develop the utmost appreciation for the SGI-USA, my practice and my life.

Over the next several months, I also chanted for the courage to repair my relationship with my mom. We had many heart-to-heart talks, during which I shared with her things that I had read in Nichiren Daishonin’s writings. I expressed how my Buddhist philosophy inspired me to make conscious efforts to take more responsibility for my life and to improve my relationships with others. By May 2004, my relationship with my mother was better than it had ever been, and on May 23, my wanting to move her life forward, Melissa Marek deepens her appreciation for all those around her.

Giving With a Grateful Heart by my 32nd birthday, my mom became a member of the SGI-USA. The next day, I was hired at one of the highest-paying jobs in my area. I vowed that, no matter what, I was going to make a financial contribution to the SGI-USA during the May Commemorative Contribution that year. I was going to give with a grateful heart. I chanted passionately and wracked my brain for where I was going to come up with the money to make a contribution. With new confidence, I decided to contribute some money I had been saving. In the years since, I have eliminated every debt. I conquered my eating disorder and lost quite a bit of weight. I learned to love and value myself, and I overcame my feelings that other people are better than me. As a result, I have made lasting friendships with some very special fellow members.

I also made a new friend who has shown me a great deal of kindness and gentleness of spirit, with no ulterior motives. He makes me feel loved and very special, and his friendship has become one of my greatest and profoundest joys. I feel I am the richest, most fortunate woman." WT

Date: October 27, 2009 11:34AM

Salaries of Top SGI Inc. Officials and their Conflict of Interest

Salaries of Top SGI Inc. Officials Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 17:11:31
-0600 The following information is provided to you courtesy of the Yotsuya Tax
Office, Tokyo, Japan.

The declared income of Daisaku Ikeda is listed as follows: (The dollar amounts
are listed at the exchange rate of 100 Yen to U.S. $1.00)

1971 - 62,050,000 Yen ($620,500.00)

1972 - 84,340,000 Yen ($843,400.00)

1973 - 113,570,000 Yen ($1,135,700.00)

1974 - 135,330,000 Yen ($1,353,300.00)

1975 - 121,980,000 Yen ($1,219,800.00)

1976 - 78,700,000 Yen ($787,000.00)

1977 - 51,490,000 Yen ($514,900.00)

1978 - 83,350,000 Yen ($833,500.00)

1979 - 34,500,000 Yen ($345,000.00)

1980 - 39,010,000 Yen ($390,100.00)

1981 - 75,030,000 Yen ($750,300.00)

1982 - 57,420,000 Yen ($574,200.00)

From 1983 to 1987, and 1993, the amount of income as calculated from the amount of income tax paid:

1983 - 32,000,000 Yen ($320,000) based on 14,030,000 Yen paid as income tax

1984 - 72,000,000 Yen ($720,000) based on 39,700,000 Yen paid as income tax

1985 - 60,000,000 Yen ($600,000) based on 30,950,000 Yen paid as income tax

1986 - 85,000,000 Yen ($850,000) based on 49,810,000 Yen paid as income tax

1987 - 87,000,000 Yen ($870,000) based on 51,510,000 Yen paid as income tax

1993 - 170,000,000 Yen ($1,700,000) based on 87,150,000 Yen paid as income tax

Income of SGI President, Einosuke Akiya for 1993 as calculated from the amount of income tax paid: 55,260,000 Yen ($552,600), based on 18,420,000 Yen paid as income tax.

Income of SGI Vice President, Norimasa Yahiro for 1993 as calculated from the
amount of income tax paid: 52,830,000 Yen ($528,300), based on 17,610,000 Yen paid as income tax.

Income of SGI General Director, Kazuya Morita for 1993 as calculated from the
amount of income tax paid: 41,610,000 Yen ($416,100), based on 13,870,000 Yen paid as income tax.

Income of Vice President, Jun Aoki for 1993 as calculated from the amount of
income tax paid: 30,720,000 Yen ($307,200), based on 10,240,000 Yen paid as
income tax.

Note: There are approximately 200 vice presidents. Even at a salary of U.S. $200,000 each per year, that amounts to $40,000,000.00 (forty million dollars) paid out of the contributions from members. This does not take into account the numerous other staff salaries.

Now, lets say, for example, a leader is making $416,000 a year as a salaried top senior leader, a Bodhisattva for hire, so to speak. Your kids are attending the best schools, you have a mortgage of say $4500.00, you have a life insurance premium of $1000.00 per month, and you have other expenses totalling perhaps $10,000.00 per month. You are trained to promote SGI Buddhism and go here and there, lecturing on Ikeda's guidance and his take on the Daishonin's teachings. But all of a sudden, while you are doing your hour of Daimoku a day and studying president Ikeda's guidance for an hour and the Gosho for twenty minutes, you have a realization that Shakyamuni is in fact the Eternal Buddha.

What do you do? You are not trained to function in the private sector, you aren't exactly an engineer, a doctor or a romance novelist. Your children depend on you, your wife depends on you and you have a lifestyle to maintain. Do you do the right thing and begin to teach contrary to the party line, risking your excellent salary that you receive to do the Buddha's work? The Daishonin clothed himself in deerskins who died a natural death in the forest. He sometimes lived on brachen. Yet he always gave 110%. Something is wrong here and if the SGI members can't see it, we have to conclude by virtue of their lack of actual proof (insight) that there is validity to the charge of them practicing a false Buddhism and there is brainwashing in the SGI (since they can't even question the obvious). The top SGI leaders are parasites in the bowels of the lion.

Nichijew

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: October 27, 2009 01:14PM

Very interesting, Nichijew. I think that there also might be many ordinary people within the organization of SGI that have many doubts/questions but don't know what to do. Their families all practice, and they have been faithful members for many years, and so they don't know quite what to do. For example, ME! When I started to realize that I could no longer accept what SGI dished out, I felt conflict for quite a while. My family and friends were all SGI, and it seemed as if it was going to be very difficult to leave after over 30 years. However, it was not difficult! I was fortunate that my husband also had had enough at the same time. That made it easier. The few months that have passed since I stopped practicing with SGI have been great. I have been very busy, have been re-connecting to old friends and family, and have felt more confidence since I no longer have SGI hanging over my head.

We used to give during the May contribution. We, however, gave what we were comfortable with, and really thought about it instead of blindly giving. Then we took it as a tax deduction, so it helped us to pay less tax. I know of members who gave a fortune. How much more sense it would make to think things out, pay your bills, save for the future, and buy the things you want and need instead of giving thousands of dollars, all that you have, to SGI as I personally know that many members have. And the leaders of SGI encourage it, even low-ranking leaders.

Date: October 28, 2009 12:32AM

Nichijew
Nichiren Daishonin says that in their present lives their offering will become a “prayer” and a “treasure.” He thus indicates that, through the protective
functions of all Buddhas, their sincere faith in offering a robe will become a cause for the fulfillment of all their desires and the accumulation of immense benefit… For an offering of but a single unlined robe, the Daishonin promises eternal good fortune and benefit. This is because he perceives the sincerity with which the robe is imbued. (Learning From the Gosho, p. 23)

Soka Gakkai International- USA is a religious nonprofit organization, and gifts to it are tax-deductible under the provisions of Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3). Our Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) is 95-2265667.

Giving With a Grateful Heart by my 32nd birthday, my mom became a member of the SGI-USA. The next day, I was hired at one of the highest-paying jobs in my area.

Mileage may vary. People do give these kinds of experiences all the time --"I was broke, but by gum, I made my donation to SGI anyway, and the next day, I had this amazing windfall." I don't think that that was exactly the fortune that the Daishonin meant.

Let's not forget that Nichiren Daishonin experienced poverty and persecution during his lifetime. A basket of food or a robe from a follower would have meant everything to him. I don't think that our President Ikeda is quite living on the same level, not with a salary of $1,700,000 in 1993. And, as someone pointed out on Fraught With Peril, it's believed that Ikeda is a billionaire. How did he get such a fortune? SGI's not telling, but certainly, he couldn't have gotten it simply by saving and investing even the good salaries listed in the tax records.

Nichiren, the founder of this Buddhism, COULD have lived an easier life. At one point, the government offered him a temple, if he would shut up and quit arguing with other sects. He refused to do so. He didn't seek wealth or political power or favor. No honorary degrees for Nichiren. No teas or photo ops with famous people. No expensive hot tub. No political party. Nichiren would not take any of that, if it meant compromising his beliefs. He lived a harsh life, but didn't seem to have any regrets. He once referred to himself as the wealthiest man in Japan. He didn't mean getting a well-paying job. He meant his spiritual state.

SGI SAYS it is a nonprofit organization, but as Anticult discovered, SGI does not want to play by the rules for nonprofits. Nonprofits must open their financial records to the public; SGI refuses to. The leader of a nonprofit cannot profit excessively from the organization; Ikeda's Malibu house violates that rule. If the Cult Awareness and Information Centre's articles are accurate, SGI has also violated the IRS rule of no contributions to political campaigns (in the U.S., at least) SGI cannot have it both ways. If they say they're a nonprofit organization, they must follow the tax regulations for nonprofits.

For these reasons, I would not give SGI anything.

Date: October 28, 2009 10:48AM

What Else Does The Soka Gakkai Have In Common With Scientology?

"Davis (current spokesman for Scientology) was quickly returned to the fold and sent to the church’s offices in Clearwater, Florida, where he was required to clean toilets with a toothbrush for a week."

As Gajokai (Toban), we were required to clean the toilets in the community centers and it was a great honor to be able to clean the toilet in Ikeda's personal apartment in the community centers, even though he never stayed there. The Gakkai is much more enlightened than the Scientologists. The Gakkai let you use toilet brushes and not tooth brushes. It really wasn't so bad cleaning Ikeda's toilet, nobody ever used it. Maybe that is why it was such an honor. It was such a relief that we didn't have to clean the public toilets. Thank you Sensei.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 10:52AM by Nichijew.

Current Page: 59 of 748

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.