Current Page: 51 of 748
Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: Von ()
Date: September 30, 2009 04:40AM

tsukimoto
Von, you tease! Here we are, holding our breath waiting to hear what happened in Seattle, and you are leaving us hanging? Please, please, please!

:)

lol no problem:

I am breaking this up in parts because the story needs to be told the right way to be properly understood - it ends up illustrating a lot of what is being discussed here about SGI. Also I dont want to dominate the board with one long post.

Also - dramatic tension is fun!! hahah. (so deal!)

Ok ... [continued]

... and so, sometime toward the end of the summer of (1988?) I handed over my entire paycheck - all of the money I had in the world - the sum of about $400 - 500 or so - to my chapter leaders and got ready to board a plane to participate in this big meeting commemorating "some thing or another to do with world peace" in Seattle.

At the time I was living in Brentwood in West LA near Wilshire and Brentwood Ave - only about a mile and a half from the Santa Monica Community Center. I was living in this house with a rotating cast of characters, students and random young peeps that answered the ad for the place: only one of my roommates was a member as well, this kid Larry who also went to Seattle with us as I recall.

I was working for a florist in the town of Brentwood up the hill from our place at the time, delivering bouquets all around the West Side of LA. I took the time off from work, and got the plane to Seattle with the other members for a few days.

The actual trip was all about the organization; I dont remember all that much about it other than the trip into the city from the airport, seeing Seattle and the Space Needle through the fog and rain from the bus window on the way in ... a hotel room where they served us cheap pre-packaged lunches in paper boxes (I think I remember a sandwich on white bread, an apple, maybe some chips etc).

This was no site seeing trip. I never saw or experienced any of Seattle other than the bus trip, the hotel, the convention center, and travelling back toward LA the same way. I remember being really tired from all the stress in my life at the time ... and the worrying about what happened to me when I got back.

Yes we did this insane huge pyramid on the floor of some huge convention center in front of thousands of members. Yes we pulled it off and no-one got hurt. All I remember from the actual moment is a big dim room with stage lighting around us and the cheering, and me standing on the bottom of a pyramid about 3000 lbs of guys while standing on roller skates; all of that weight bearing down on my arms and shoulder thinking (and chanting) "stay in the moment, stay in the moment, hold up and make sure nobody falls ... it will be over any second hold up!!" lol

And thats it. We went home. And the whole way home on the plane I was wondering what the hell I was supposed to do when I got back ...

Where was my miracle supposed to be coming from? Where was I going to come up with the rent? Was I going to get enough to eat? What was going to happen .... ?

Buddism and the entire SGI machinery had convinced me that I would be protected by the Shoten Zenzin and that natural law would make sure that it all turned out in my favor in the end. But this was putting it to the test far beyond what ordinary common sense would tell a reasonably intelligent person it was wise to.

Well ... I got back to LA and ...

I didnt have the rent. I had no money to eat or do anything at all until my next paycheck, which was about a week away. So ... I could survive one way or another: they could wait a while for the rent, and I had friends or roommates or somehow could get enough to eat.

But it was worse than that. Somehow ... the timing was such that *everyone* in this house I was living in - for one reason or another - was splitting that month. This one was transferring to a new school; that one had found a new place somewhere else; this other one was moving back home with parents ... about 5 other people ... GONE.

Which left me. With no money for the rent. No money to find a new place to live. And with all of my family on the other side of the country, and not long term friends in LA that would take me in ....

I had no place to go.

At 23 years old: all of a sudden I was homeless in LA.

And SGI was just about all I had. How did they respond?

[ ... annnndd... to be continued!]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: September 30, 2009 04:56AM

corboy

Other than these women, SGI members were not allowed to enter the house or use the sauna and hot tub.

If this did indeed occur, Ikeda was guilty of dualistic, delusional thinking and therefore not in a state of enlightenment.

If one has pure view, one appreciates the Buddha Nature in everyone, old, young, male female, pretty, normal looking.

One doesnt just appreciate Buddha Nature in just a tiny sector of humanity (cute young girls of a particular 'type')

The latter would indicate an ego driven erotic preference, not 'pure view'.

As well as one of the precepts of Buddhism being that you don't commit adultery...Ikeda is married and has been for years; some of the women may have been married as well.

Ego driven? Our friend Daisaku? Well, at one point, he wanted to have that bronze relief of himself in swimming trunks exhibited at the head temple grounds, only to be overrruled by the priests. What does that say about his narcissism and ego, as well as his sense of boundaries?

There are stories of him raping both a senior women's division member and a Japanese singer. The website mombu.com has a thread called "11.7 Rape." If you read it, it appears to be more about Japanese women's division leaders who seem to have been Ikeda's mistresses. Now, mombu.com seems more tabloid-like to me, and less reliable than a site like the Cult Information and Info Centre, but I could be wrong. And let's face it, powerful men, whether in politics, the corporate world, entertainment, sports...or a religious organization, often seem to think that they can do whatever they want with women. And lots of women are also attracted to a powerful man, no matter what his age or appearance is.

Anthony Elmore, in his Proud Black Buddhist website, has an interesting take on "The Ikeda Woman," though he doesn't suggest that these women are actually having sex with Ikeda. It's more that Ikeda and SGI always come first, the husband, boyfriend or family second for these women.

In the SGI organization, you do have women's division leaders who say they want to get married, and yet they never seem to find anyone that they could marry. Linda Johnson, a very senior leader, was one of them. Well, if they're that busy with SGI, when do they have time for dating and relationships -- and you wonder if they're so enamored of their image of Ikeda, that regular guys just seem dull by comparison.

----------------------------------Beginning of Quote, Proud Black Buddhist Website---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SGI Buddhist organization has created or honed what I call the Condelessa rice or the Ikeda woman. The Ikeda woman is an interesting phenomenon and it was the Ikeda woman whom was responsible for Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism and SGI Buddhism reaching American soil. History will show that it was Japanese women whom married American soldiers first brought NSA Buddhism to America.

Many of those small and spirited Japanese women convinced their husbands to become Buddhist. One could stretch it a bit and same many of the women were married to Daisaku Ikeda first and their husband second. One can go so far as to say that some of these women actually married American soldiers to carry out an Ikeda agenda.

Based on my research in the matter these women were as dedicated to Ikeda as deep as a prostitute is dedicated to a pimp. Ikeda and the women shared a strong Karmic bond.

The Ikeda woman was spiritually married to Daisaku Ikeda and her life was dedicated more to the SGI movement than to any marriage. I think today my former friend is married and whoever her husband is he knows that he is second to the SGI. One has to give Daisaku Ikeda credit when it comes to women he knows how to influence women. The times that I heard Dr. Ikeda speak he always hires beautiful Japanese women as an interpreter who knows how to convey his spirit.

The characteristics of many Ikeda women are beautiful, articulate, accomplished and most of all they can masterfully sell an Ikeda agenda.
-------------------------------------------End of Quote---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Yzak ()
Date: September 30, 2009 02:50PM

WOW! Lots of proof to debunk SGI's BS, this is REAL ACTUAL PROOF!!

Von, please continue with your story! you left it with a very nice cliff hanger, yet we want to know what happened later!!
BTW, if I'm correct, in your story I feel you have a great ambiguity with SGI, like you like SGI, but you are starting to realize SGI's lies but still aren't convinced yourself very much, which is not good or bad, as long as you feel comfortable and other SGI members don't start abusing you by doing more causes. Either way, please continue with your story please!

quiet one, hopefully this doesn't seem like insulting, but do you feel fine going to SGI meetings when you actually decided to quick the organization? I ask this because it must be hard, you said you missed your friends(which I guess you have had a strong bond for all these years), but do they even try to get you back to the organization? Personally, I would avoid any contact with any Soka Gakkai member, for it would be such a hard thing to be again with SGI members, I wouldn't know how to react or say. How about you quiet one??

Anti Cult, Rothaus and tsukimoto, keep bringing all these interesting articles, the more I see, the better I feel(sounded a little too ironic?)

Posted by: ScoobyDooby ()
Date: September 30, 2009 10:53PM

I have been lurking on this thread for quite sometime now and it has been very informative. Thanks to all who have posted.

While I am not a SGI-USA member (former or otherwise), I have been married for nearly 20 years to a long time member and Division leader. While I am supportive of my wife's practice, I have always had strong doubts regarding the integrity of the organization and most specifically, President Ikeda. I am convinced, more than ever, that the SGI is a cult. I cannot discuss this with my wife, because she is fully entrenched in the organization and any criticism towards it almost always ends in an argument.

It would be helpful if there are any other forum members here in a similar situation or have been who could shed some insight.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: October 01, 2009 03:55AM

Hi Tsukimoto,

just a very short reply as not much time at the moment. Concerning the gohonzons and people who had mental problems ... no SGI did not ask them to my knowledge to give back their gohonzons. But there was an air of relief if they did. My personal belief though is not so much that SGI cared about the gohonzon (I guess they could not care less anyway), but rather that those people would no longer associate with SGI. To be hon est I never heared of somebody being asked to return their gohonzon anyway - an from a buddhist pint of view the SGI gohonzons are n proper objects of worship anyway.

The second question about cross border meetings I believe the orders to hold those meetings did not come from above i.e. Tokyo so they were not formally recognized anyway.

Re: Former SGI members: Where's George?
Date: October 03, 2009 05:41AM

---Begin Quote: SGI Unofficial Message Board-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: I want to know the truth why George N. Williams left SGI USA.

Some years ago a leader from my area who was visiting Japan was told that Mr.
Williams was "evil." From what I heard, his evilness consisted in waiting a day
to decide to side with Pres. Ikeda at the time of the schism.
---------------------------------------End Quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the SGI Unofficial message board, there have been several messages recently regarding the fate of former SGI-USA director, George Williams. I joined in the late 1980's, when it was still Nichiren Shoshu of America (NSA). At the time, we were taught to revere Mr. Williams, as our beloved "Regi-cho" who had worked tirelessly to establish Nichiren Buddhism in America. Then in the early 90's, everything became crazy with the "excommunication" and the split with Nichiren Shoshu -- and suddenly Williams disappeared! We were informed at meetings, that Fred Zaitsu was now the head of SGI-USA, and there was no mention whatsoever of George Williams. It was like the man had never existed! We asked our leaders what had happened to him. Either they truly didn't know any more than we did -- or they weren't telling.

There are many theories on the SGI Unofficial message board. One is that Williams delayed in declaring support for Ikeda during the Nichiren Shoshu-SGI split. Some boardmembers say that Ikeda and his team of ghostwriters are writing the next volume of "The New Human Revolution." In it, the character who is a barely-concealed George Williams will be vilified as a dupe of the priests.

This is certainly possible. Someone with Ikeda's ego is not going to forgive a subordinate for even the slightest hesitation to follow orders.

Another theory: Williams is seriously ill, and/or suffering from Alzheimers.

Could be, though you wonder. If Williams is or was sick, why not just say so? Or would it make people feel that chanting and converting others to this Buddhism really doesn't change your karma?

And yet another: Williams has an office in SGI headquarters, but is given very little work to do. This is a typical way of treating Japanese executives who have lost favor or are considered unsuccessful. In a way, it's more cruel than simply firing them. Instead of getting a new job and moving on, they're forced to stay where they are. Everyone in their organization knows that they're out of favor and powerless. They can't just quit and get another job because in Japan, executives and others just don't change jobs. You get your first job and you're stuck with that company until retirement.

What I'd like to believe: If Williams was guilty of tricking Steve Gore into smuggling diamonds from Brazil through American customs -- Williams got in trouble for it. This is probably not the case. I don't think that justice in SGI works that way.

Another possibility: Ikeda was jealous and threatened by Williams' popularity in America. And sure, why not make George into an evil character in the next volume of "The New Human Revolution."? If Williams or his family complain, Ikeda can claim that it's just fiction. The SGI members all understand that, while SGI claims that "The Human Revolution" is fiction, it's basically SGI history with the players' names changed.

Why all the secrecy and rewriting of history?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2009 05:46AM by tsukimoto.

Re: Former SGI members: The Art of Chanting and Cultivating Marijuana
Date: October 03, 2009 05:57AM

This website is also a hoot -- if you are interested in a discussion of President Ikeda's quotes and the joys of growing and smoking marijuana -- this site is for you!

----------------------------------From the new Buddha Jones website----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forum for SGI marijuana growers
by: mroaks
Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 09:55:16 AM MDT
Get baked with Bodhisattvas of the Earth in the
"Chanting Growers Group" at International Cannagraphic.
Sensei's guidance plus pot equals profundity, apparently.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, just google "International Cannagraphic" and then when you get to their homepage, click on the "Chanting Growers' Group." It's quite long, over 700 pages.

wwwbuddhajones.com also has the link to International Cannagraphic's Chanting Growers' Page.

Not that I'm criticizing these people, mind you. Reading this link brought back memories...a lot of the material that they post is exactly what I used to hear at SGI meetings. I was buying into this stuff, and I wasn't high -- so what was my excuse?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2009 05:59AM by tsukimoto.

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: October 03, 2009 01:20PM

tsukimoto
---Begin Quote: SGI Unofficial Message Board-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: I want to know the truth why George N. Williams left SGI USA.

Some years ago a leader from my area who was visiting Japan was told that Mr.
Williams was "evil." From what I heard, his evilness consisted in waiting a day
to decide to side with Pres. Ikeda at the time of the schism.

When George Williams left, I heard a few people ask why, and some people seemed to think he had cancer. That's how it was explained around here. Several years later (a few years ago), someone in the area got the idea to invite him to be the "honored leader" at a meeting. Pretty soon he was invited to other local meetings. I went to one of these meetings. Everyone was really excited when he was attending their meeting, after all of those years! When I look back on it, it did seem possible that he had Alzheimer's disease or was beginning to show signs of it. When he spoke at a meeting, he did not say much.

I also saw him a couple of years ago at a funeral. I remember many long-time members gathering around him. Everyone was so excited to see him!

Around the same time that he briefly re-appeared, a special meeting was called that my husband and other leaders were requested to attend. The exclusive subject of the meeting was George Williams. Linda Johnson spoke. She told everyone how evil George Williams was. His crime? When the Temple people asked him to be on their side, he did not call President Ikeda until the next morning. She stated that he currently had Alzheimer's Disease. She said that President Ikeda chanted every day for his demise because he was an enemy of SGI.

Several people were upset about this, because many had good memories of the old NSA days and affectionate feelings for George Williams, and it seemed really mean to have a special meeting to attack an old man with Alzheimer's who could not defend himself. Also, it was upsetting to know about President Ikeda's behavior in chanting against him and considering him an enemy for what seemed to be a very minor crime. Was this Buddhism?

It seemed to me that his (brief) renewed popularity may have been part of the reason Linda Johnson called a meeting against him. People liked him so much! The current leadership of SGI-USA are very different than George Williams. Danny Nagashima and Linda Johnson just are not as popular as George Williams was. After Linda's meeting, inviting him to come to meetings came to an abrupt stop. As far as I know, he wasn't even invited to funerals any more! But it left a lot of resentful feelings about the whole thing.

The thought that there might be a chapter about him as an enemy of SGI in an updated version of the Human Revolution is interesting. George Williams is responsible for the many people in the US who joinied NSA. Why does SGI need to make him an enemy? I think many people won't go for it, and will join the ranks of ex-SGI folks.

Posted by: gingermarie ()
Date: October 03, 2009 10:38PM

I had heard about the fate of Mr. Williams through a top women's leader, quite by accident. She had heard from Linda Johnson that Mr. William's was going to side with the temple and that Mrs. Williams was asking the temple how much money was involved if they joined them. Miss Inoashi, the Young women's leader at that time, convinced him not to. This leader let slip that Mis Inoashi was his mistress as well. She also told me that Mr. Williams donated $300,000 to the temple, although she wasn't clear as to when this happened.

I was taken by surprise by the whole thing, naturally. But the more I thought about it, the more it didn't add up. During the '80's I was in the Youth Division and I had lots and lots of opportunities to see Mr. Williams up close. He always talked about "Sensei", always. There were many times tears would well up in his eyes. If he was acting, he was good, real good. I couldn't imagine him doing an about face on his "sensei", no way. On the flip side, Mr. Williams was a business man, perhaps he was weighing his options. With all said and done, it was the perfect opportunity for Ikeda to rid himself of a popular rival.

And the $300,000? My leader didn't know how this number came up, and when it was donated. She couldn't say whether it was donated in one lump sum or over the years. But, if we take into consideration the huge ammounts of money being made by the SGI, and SGI-USA, $300,000 isn't very much, it's an after thought really. But to many of us members who are kept in the dark about the finances, this $300,000 is a big enough number to do the job of being believable and mindblowing.

I have to wonder about the fate of Miss Inoashi. She too was a prominent figure in the life of a young women's division member during the '80's. Although I was dismayed by the revelation of the sexual misconduct both Williams and Inoashi, that is, if it's true, it is typical of those in powerful positions. What is more disconcerting is that at the time, the "guidance" to young women's division senior leaders, anyone chapter level and up, was to not live with their boyfriends because it would send the wrong message to the younger YWD members. We were highly discouraged to talk about our boyfriends, or anything regarding romantic relationships, unless of course we were engaged to be married and everything was on the up and up in the eyes of the NSA community. I happened to be such a leader, living with my boyfriend, until my leaders convinced me to throw him out. That ended our relationship, and I was so distraught, they took me for guidance with. . . Miss Inoashi!

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: October 03, 2009 11:15PM

gingermarie, The $300,000 does make the story more plausible. But maybe SGI made that up--who knows? I too remember Mr. Williams giving 100% support to "sensei" in his public appearances.

When the split occurred, if Mr. Williams had told NSA that we should all be temple members instead of staying with President Ikeda, I'm sure all or most of the USA would have gone along with him.

Current Page: 51 of 748

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.