Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: June 01, 2012 08:39AM

Hitch
Spartacus
Holy BuddhaHead! I just followed your link at freefallarchive.com and found myself in a Tozan picture from 1972.

Here's a link to the picture I am in - [www.freefallarchive.com] . I am the third male face in the line descending the steps at Shohondo (dark brown curly hair parted on the side.)

Geez, what a happy young sheeple I was 40 years ago! Chapter Three of my blog Cult of the Master covers my experiences during that 1972 tozan event, and can be found at: [spartacusrebel.weebly.com]

HAHA! Enjoy! :-))

Spartacus, the term sansho goma was reserved and trotted out for any members under suspicion of fornicating. It was pretty much an understood "no-no" to get too cozy with the YWD, unless you had some kind of "leader" approval to pursue a "relationship." That said, there was definitely interest and a lot of flirting going on whenever the chance arose. It was especially a big taboo for the YD leaders, whom other members looked up to. Heads would roll if any of these people violated that commandment. Looking back, I think quite a few of those youth "leaders" were sexually frustrated and repressed. I know Ethan Gelbaum was! (HAHA!)

Fornicating indeed! As a very green district leader, I allowed a YMD and a WD to pair up and go out together to do street shakabuku after an introduction meeting with no guests. They wound up in bed together later that evening. When word got out, shit hit the fan even though they weren't leaders. He quit after the storm burst, she was branded, humiliated, and shamed at every turn, and I got my ass handed to me on a platter for not "protecting" my members from the terrible and all-powerful devil of sex - Sansho Goma.

Eventually, after a few years of refraining from having sex, I became one of those sexually frustrated and repressed lost souls - but I certainly was NOT happy about it! Toward the end of my "senior leader phase" I began to complain bitterly about always being so damn pure and perfect. Having surrendered my sexual freedom, I had unknowingly given tremendous control of life to my SGcult leaders (exploiters/abusers). My own identity became completely lost inside the falsified picture that constantly portrayed me as an exemplitory SGcult leader. I became sick of being the one to look up to, the one for aspiring leaders to follow/emulate. The hypocrisy of pretending to be so perfect and happy while in reality living in a state of hell was becoming unbearable. After I could no longer take it anymore and had sexual relations with a YWD, I was treated in a completely different manner by my senior leaders.

Suddenly, I was back outside at big meetings running the sokahan movement instead of being inside on stage with all the other leaders as I had been before. I was falsely accused of smoking pot in the community center restroom (I was actually allowed to live in the Dallas Kaikan for 7 months previous to my Sansho Goma moment.) Then I was passed over for the leadership appointment that I worked hard for several years to attain (every since my first tozan I had delusions of becoming one of the SGcult "ridiculously empowered elites"). My mental confusion and emotional inner conflict reached crisis levels, which in turn eventually lead me to quit my senior leader position (and to literally "run away" like a starved and beaten dog in order to get my life back). Yes, heads did roll when the SGcult hidden rule of "no sex for singles" was violated.

Spartacus

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 01, 2012 08:57AM

Hitch
The Anticult
Yes, ole SGI was more into the old post-Stalinist style brainwashing in the 70's...
Matching uniforms...for uniform minds

Back in the 80's there were two types of uniforms. The all purpose whites (all we needed was a bow-tie and hat to complete the milkman look) and the more special occasion Saturday Night Fever all white polyester suit with mandatory "official" red NSA logo tie. Oh, and "National Security Agency" clip-on photo ID badges, too!!

I also remember there was a special campaign in Texas where everyone had to wear good ol' boy g-e-n-u-i-n-e cowboy hats!

70's Hawaii conventions had blue and white muumuu dresses for women and same pattern shirts for men with a fake decorative belt.

Just about every major campaign had some sort of special cult outfit that everyone was expected to wear.

Hitch, that big meeting in Texas was the "Dallas pioneer meeting" with Cult Daddy in attendance. I hated the cowboy hats almost as much as I hated the plastic cream colored tozan hats and the white military style sokahan hats. What a crock. Cults (like the military) use uniforms to take away one's persona and individualism, making it much easier to strip away personality, overwhelm, and take control of people. IMHO, putting on a cult uniform is tantamount to giving away one's individual character and spirituality.

Spartacus

Date: June 01, 2012 09:13AM

Freeheartandmind
Spartacus/Hitch, I don't know what the YMD were taught in Chicago, because I was a YWD. But I can tell you that YMD and YWD were having sex. Maybe the guys confessed to their "leaders" afterward, but it didn't stop them from doing what came naturally. There was little moral compass in Chicago, folks did not join NSA to be subject to the same old rules that were at church. Being the early seventies, the larger culture had loosened considerably when it came to sex, and NSA folks in Chicago had no hangups in that regard. There were few hangups overall, drug use was rampant (also a reflection of the larger culture), and there was a general "if it feels good, do it" atmosphere. The only guideline was good cause/bad cause and how your acts may impact your karma. But as we have discussed, you could just chant the impact of your bad acts away! So, you had leaders than were known to beat and cheat on their wives, and other forms of bad behavior that you need no religion to identify as such. Hypocrisy, the same as what NSA accused Christians of.

Gee, I wish I had practiced in Chicago! Sounds like you guys were having way more fun than we were down in the South. Texas is smack in the middle of the bible belt, so perhaps sexually repressive rules were more readily accepted back then. I got into Buddhism to get away from invasive Christian cults, but then found out that (in Texas) the same repressive rules existed in the NSA cult, only in a more hidden way (which made NSA even more hypocritical than than the local churches).

Spartacus

Posted by: Freeheartandmind ()
Date: June 01, 2012 10:24AM

Spartacus, how did the "leaders" find out about the "illicit" sexual activities between YMD and YWD?

Date: June 01, 2012 10:30AM

Findingmywaytoday
"I made a mistake today that I regret. Some women from the SGI called me and told me not to be a stranger. I reconnected, and I thought I am strong enough to deal with them. I even let someone come and home visit me today. It was her first time to my house. I could sense she became very judgemental about my Gohonzon, and where I put things. I actually had printed out a quote in the recent months that was more meaningful to me. I put it away, and took out some of the SGI stuff. That was mistake number one, because it is not matching what is true for me right now.

Then, she told me it was May Contribution month, and she asked me what my intentions were. Blah, blah, blah! I feel sick now knowing I had a person from the SGI come over, but I also wanted to see where I stood, or if I really was attached to the SGI.

She told me that I need to order publications, and then I will get all my questions answered about my life.

In the interim, I have found new ways to support my life without the need of the SGI. It feels so good to make friends with non-SGI members. I don't know why I am surprised that sounded so brainwashed when she answered my questions.

I am still stunned that I let her into my house. I feel sick when I think of the SGI"

tsukimoto
"As I see it, being in SGI is a habit...and habits can be difficult to break. People vow to give up smoking, and overeating....and maybe do very well for weeks or months -- eat sensibly, don't touch a cigarette. Then something happens, good or bad, and they find themselves lighting up, or eating a box of doughnuts. It doesn't mean that they've failed, and that it's time to give up. They just need to go back and follow their plan. Change is just difficult, one step forward, two steps back....but I've seen people change all kinds of habits. Those who have done it, just persist. They fall off the bike and get right back up on it. Don't look at your contact with SGI as a mistake, look at it as a learning experience. You've talked with your former leader, and now you know for sure that there's nothing there for you.

Manipulative people are also very good at taking advantage of other people's courtesy..and some SGI leaders are very manipulative people. Bullies, con artists, manipulators are masters of doing something rude or intrusive, and counting on the fact that many people hate confrontation. If someone does confront the manipulator for rude, overly aggressive, or intrusive behavior, the manipulator is very good at turning it back on them -- making the other person feel as if he or she is rude, too aggressive, oversensitive, or paranoid for even questioning the manipulator's inappropriate behavior.

Dealing with SGI members? My suggestion is that if they text you, e-mail you, or leave a message on your answering machine -- hit the delete button. If they do catch you on the phone, or you run into one of them when you're out shopping....be polite, say hello, ask them how they are -- but DO NOT discuss your involvement with SGI with them. Just say, "Not interested," if they ask you to come to a meeting, donate zaimu, or if they can home visit you. If they push, and ask why -- I say, "Just not interested. Gotta go. Bye." Any discussion with these people is useless. They're not listening, just looking for opportunities to manipulate you back into SGI."

Tsukimoto, your words here to Findingmywaytoday are spot on - I hope she can take your advise to heart and ease the process of leaving the SGcult behind forever. (I too came and went for decades until I finally wised up to their insidious games of deception and control.)

Tsukimoto
"Interesting, in eighteen years, I never heard of "sansho goma." Maybe it was because of practicing in such a remote area. Our chapter leaders were a couple who were living together without being married, as were other members. We had a small number of YWD, and even fewer YMD, so your chances of finding a someone you wanted to date in the Youth Divisions were small anyway. We all dated nonmembers. You'd have no love life otherwise. I can't remember our leaders ever talking about this.

I did have two Japanese YWD friends who returned to Japan. One was given guidance to marry another SGI member, who turned out to be a very jealous, possessive sort....and I fear, possibly abusive. I don't hear much from her. My other friend did live with her boyfriend. Her leader told them to tell their neighbors that they were married. Appearances are everything, and I don't think that the Japanese generally take domestic violence seriously. If police are ever even called, they probably just tell the wife to stop annoying her husband."

"Sansho goma" is not an actual Buddhist term. This phoney-baloney concept was not trotted out at all locations during "Phase 1", just the ones that apparently could get away with using the low down cult technique of sexually starving young aspiring leaders to keep them under tight control.

I totally agree that "appearances are everything". Regarding domestic violence, women are treated as second class citizens in Japanese culture and refrain from reporting incidents to the police in order to "save face". Almost anything unpleasant is not spoken of in order to maintain the appearance of politeness.

Spartacus

Date: June 01, 2012 10:34AM

In Chicago, the extracurricular activities were definitely more fun than the official NSA activities. Partying was a way to recruit people, who thought we were fun to be around. This was another reason it was hard to leave, your social life would disappear too.

Date: June 01, 2012 10:39AM

On a typical Saturday night we would party after the discussion meeting till the wee hours of the morning, then be out the door at 8:30 in the morning to make it to the 10:00 city-wide meeting at the community center. It's amazing that any of us who were in high school ever graduated.

Date: June 01, 2012 10:47AM

Oh, to be a young fanatic for cousin rufus! Who needed sleep wben you had adrenaline from all the frantic activity? I developed a coffee habit during my NSA years that remains to this day. I am still flabbergasted that we were doing all of this for a multi billion dollar org! Does anybody know if the temple got any of the money after the split?

Date: June 01, 2012 10:52AM

I recommend checking out "proudblackbuddhist.org". I apologize if this site has been mentioned already. There is an excellent sectio. On problems with SGI. The site author went with the temple after the split.

Date: June 01, 2012 10:57AM

Freeheartandmind
Spartacus, how did the "leaders" find out about the "illicit" sexual activities between YMD and YWD?

Freeheartandmind, they found out the same way teachers in school get the scoop on what their students are up to - loudmouthed boasting about conquests. The temptation to brag to one's peers regarding sexual encounters leads to wide spread knowledge of the steamy tale. Often, when a person shares a deep juicy secret with another (especially within institutions and organizations), it rarely remains a secret - soon it explodes into gossip being whispered into all ears.

Spartacus

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.