Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: May 16, 2012 03:28PM

Hitch
For those that may not be familiar with the history of the cult in Japan, here's a performance for the dear leader (who can be seen at the very end of the clip):

[www.youtube.com]

That old-school SGI propaganda film brought back many memories. Were any of those guys in that film wondering, “How is this going to lead to world peace exactly?” I wish I had expressed that question back in the 80’s. I performed in the gymnastics group for several large conventions in the U.S., building human pyramids and whatnot. Looking back, it was foolish to do such dangerous things, putting my life in the hands of a bunch of other untrained yahoos who had no idea what they were doing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TheVoid ()
Date: May 16, 2012 05:15PM

Human Pyramids for Peace. It's the logical solution.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: May 16, 2012 07:05PM

The old nsa cult was heavily saturated with Japanese transplant members, as well as their habits and culture. The "rock the era" CULTure festivals are just mini-CULT-lite versions of the same.

I had to (emphasis on HAD to) do the pyramid crap just once. I remember they had a gakkai version of their "undokai" [en.wikipedia.org] once. This was human pyramids AND SPORTS for peace. [www.youtube.com] At the time, I too kept wondering what any of it had to with buddhism and world peace. It's essentially immersing you into the cult world, forcing you to work together for some nonsense "goal" (building a pyramid, doing gymnastics, racing in track and field, etc.) and bond with your cult peers. Strangely, there were people shedding tears of joy when it was over. It was common to see people frantically chanting nmrk beforehand (waiting in line, under the bleachers, off in a corner alone) in order to achieve "VICTORY!" before each event/competition. Oh, and by the way, there were injuries and an ambulance called (so much for all the chanting, huh).

Otherwise, 99% of the time, I was spared the majority of the ymd circus stunts, because I was in the brass band. Sitting on the sidelines, watching, taking it all in with a shake of my head. I still remember guys out there literally screaming NMRK!!!-NMRK!!!-NMRK!!! as they were building the pyramid, level by level and when all the levels were up, there were seizures of sobbing happiness by all. Those guys on the very top had eyes as big as saucers and you could tell that they were scared. I wonder what ever happened to them. It's a wonder one of them never broke their neck and wound up a paraplegic (more confirmation bias, of course).

Looking back = Bizarro World.

Date: May 17, 2012 03:13AM

Hitch
Those guys on the very top had eyes as big as saucers and you could tell that they were scared. I wonder what ever happened to them. It's a wonder one of them never broke their neck and wound up a paraplegic (more confirmation bias, of course).

I was never at the very top of pyramids but near the top since I was young, thin and didn't weigh much. I was normally in the brassband but had switched over to gymnastics for a couple conventions because I found many of the brassband members annoying. Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that that particular trait wasn't exclusive to just brassband members.

I recall one convention where they failed to make a complete pyramid. There were 3 or 4 attempts but it kept falling down until they finally gave up. Yet, I'm sure they somehow "achieved victory." Remember when they upped the ante and starting doing gymnastics on rollerskates? I guess someone must've calculated that that would be a faster path towards world peace.

Date: May 17, 2012 07:40AM

The YMD had many "tools" in it, with some of the "leaders" being the biggest. The hardest thing to stomach in the brass band were the sheer amount of immature kids in it. Some sections also had more annoying idiots than others. It was all a glorious waste of time for me. If I could sue for my time back, I would.

I definitely remember when they started the roller skate pyramids. They also used to make a big deal about being in the Guinness Book of World Records for it. Sheer insanity. They failed many times and I recall many members of that group getting yelled at for it, too. If it failed, it was because their faith was weak and they weren't chanting enough, etc.. Some of them became chanting zombies because of it. Pure psychological manipulation of naive and sincere young people.

One thing I would have liked to have seen, was the placement of some of the ymd "leaders" on the top of those 5 story human pyramid towers - putting their faith were their mouth was, so to speak. It never happened. Hmmm, I wonder why. Or how about some of those "leaders" that now have kids, putting some of their own kids into building modern versions of those pyramids and being on top? Ain't gonna happen. Again, hmm, wonder why.

An excellent example of reckless cult behavior and dangerous manipulation.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: May 17, 2012 10:42AM

Hitch
The YMD had many "tools" in it, with some of the "leaders" being the biggest. The hardest thing to stomach in the brass band were the sheer amount of immature kids in it. Some sections also had more annoying idiots than others. It was all a glorious waste of time for me. If I could sue for my time back, I would.

I definitely remember when they started the roller skate pyramids. They also used to make a big deal about being in the Guinness Book of World Records for it. Sheer insanity. They failed many times and I recall many members of that group getting yelled at for it, too. If it failed, it was because their faith was weak and they weren't chanting enough, etc.. Some of them became chanting zombies because of it. Pure psychological manipulation of naive and sincere young people.

One thing I would have liked to have seen, was the placement of some of the ymd "leaders" on the top of those 5 story human pyramid towers - putting their faith were their mouth was, so to speak. It never happened. Hmmm, I wonder why. Or how about some of those "leaders" that now have kids, putting some of their own kids into building modern versions of those pyramids and being on top? Ain't gonna happen. Again, hmm, wonder why.

An excellent example of reckless cult behavior and dangerous manipulation.

I was on top ~ ten times during practice, once during a convention, and once during a large meeting [with Ikeda in the audience?, I forgot because i was concentrating and just glad i was able to stand straight up without falling]. Five story pyramids were dangerous and after several bad accidents, they never went above three stories [in America]. Of course the bad accidents were hush hush.

Nichijew

Date: May 18, 2012 07:25AM

Speaking of propaganda -

The cult's quasi-deifying of the "pioneering" members - "Pioneers For Peace - American Cousin Rufus Trailer":

[www.imdb.com]

Hijacking appeals to emotionalism to justify the conclusion that the cult is worthwhile.

"Peace and Tolerance"?

I don't see the actions and behaviors of many, if not all, of the "pioneering" members coming to be within even light years of living up to those words.

New, prospective and naive cult members are more than welcome to their mythologized delusions (which are now being actively crafted and encouraged).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2012 07:42AM by Hitch.

Date: May 18, 2012 08:46AM

Hitch, when I read your post and saw the words "pioneer members," I just knew that Kazue Elliot would make an appearance. I attended 2 separate meetings, years apart from each other, that were handed over to this "wise" pioneer member and she proceeded to give the identical speech both times. She's the queen of oversimplification and overgeneralization, giving long and vague pep talks that are all form and no substance. And the final point is always this: you're able to practice this great "Buddhism" because Lord Ikeda scolded us pioneer members to stop moaning about how we wanted to go back to Japan, encouraged us to learn English, and told us all to go out and get drivers licenses.

Date: May 18, 2012 10:08AM

SGBye
Hitch, when I read your post and saw the words "pioneer members," I just knew that Kazue Elliot would make an appearance. I attended 2 separate meetings, years apart from each other, that were handed over to this "wise" pioneer member and she proceeded to give the identical speech both times. She's the queen of oversimplification and overgeneralization, giving long and vague pep talks that are all form and no substance. And the final point is always this: you're able to practice this great "Buddhism" because Lord Ikeda scolded us pioneer members to stop moaning about how we wanted to go back to Japan, encouraged us to learn English, and told us all to go out and get drivers licenses.

Agree with every single word of your post, SGBye. I've heard that exact same "experience" countless times.

"She's the queen of oversimplification and overgeneralization, giving long and vague pep talks that are all form and no substance." - You have summed her (and many others) up PERFECTLY.

These "pioneering" women are, in reality, war brides with (in some cases) less than a secondary school education, essentially borderline illiterate, who wanted to escape war torn Japan for a better life.

Appearances are deceiving. These "pioneering" members always acted like mini-overlords within the cult, in their manipulation and intolerance of others members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2012 10:09AM by Hitch.

Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: May 18, 2012 11:57AM

Hitch
Spartacus
Sorry you couldn't get to my book website. It is free to view at spartacusrebel.weebly.com

Would love to check it out and read it, Spartacus. Still can't locate it. Can you post a direct link?

Hey Hitch, sorry you couldn't find my book website, Cult of the Master. Here's the link you requested:
"Cult of the Master" book blog (free access)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.