Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: March 31, 2011 06:19AM

tsukimoto
Shavoy

I'm also curious. How many people here have read some or all of the Human Revolution/New Human Revolution? I'd like to know your impressions.

I was asked to join a women's study group a few years back. I was under the impression that we would choose what we studied -- a Gosho, or the Lotus Sutra. Instead, at the first meeting, we were told that we would study The Human Revolution. If I'd known that -- and realized what propaganda the book actually was, I would have quit the group immediately.

Another woman and I thought that the Human Revolution was basically SGI propaganda. Shinichi Yamamoto, the main character, who is really Ikeda, is noble, wise and self-sacrificing. So are his supporters. Anyone who opposes Ikeda/Yamamoto is evil, selfish, cowardly. About what you'd expect Ikeda to write. Not worth my time. This other woman and I gave our honest opinions, only to be told that we just "didn't understand President Ikeda's greatness."

We both quit SGI shortly after that.

I would be curious to read the newest installment, simply because a character that is meant to be George Williams, former director of NSA, is in it. I am told that George Williams' character is made out to be a real villain...interesting that Ikeda can write anything he wants about this character, and the loyal SGI members will totally believe every word. And if Williams or his family complain, SGI can just say, "Oh, it's just fiction."
Tsukimoto, thanks for responding.

"Shinichi Yamamoto, the main character, who is really Ikeda, is noble, wise and self-sacrificing." Yes, Always Noble. Unfailingly Wise. Always Self-Sacrificing. Whether it was the ghost-writers, or D.I. himself who wrote, it is what you expect him to convey. This is where I first began to detect that Odor De Fishy. The ego is ridiculous. How can anyone be so perfect as to make disciples consistently quiver and quake, faces Shining With Happiness and Devotion?

Sigh....once again, I shake my head at the fact that when you both expressed your gut-felt impressions and were shot down.

And that Mr. Williams will be thrown under the bus under the protection of "It's Fiction!"...It's been said on this thread more than once already, but Mr. W. was probably kicked to the side and out the door because he was grabbing more than his share of the Top Dog Pie.

I dunno. Among the many things this practice has given me is a dose of humble humility, which I needed and am grateful for. I'm not All That and never was. Thank heavens!

The earlier HR's I can tolerate in between the Deity Worship. But the latest installments in the WT are truly gack-worthy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: March 31, 2011 06:23AM

Nichijew
Shavoy
A few things on the mind.....first off, in the latest WT coverage on the earthquake/tsunami...SGI-USA apparently donated $50,000 to the relief effort. A mere drop from the SGI bucket, shall we say?

I'm also curious. How many people here have read some or all of the Human Revolution/New Human Revolution? I'd like to know your impressions.
Dear Shavoy:

This is a great essay: [www.collectionscanada.gc.ca]
DOMINATING TRADITION: SOKA GAKKAI AND THE CREATION OF HISTORY

Nichijew, the computer I use at home hasn't let me get into the link, I'll be trying the ones at the library in a day or two, hopefully it will download there and I can read it...thanks for sending it along!

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: March 31, 2011 07:07AM

Shavoy
And that Mr. Williams will be thrown under the bus under the protection of "It's Fiction!"...It's been said on this thread more than once already, but Mr. W. was probably kicked to the side and out the door because he was grabbing more than his share of the Top Dog Pie.

Some people say that GW's real crime was becoming more popular than Ikeda.

Many pages back, we had a poster, Commongirl, who claimed that she and her family knew George Williams -- and that he was having an affair with the Young Women's Division leader, that he treated the Women's Division members like his personal servants, and that he didn't think that the non-Japanese members were truly capable of understanding Buddhism. Maybe she's right, maybe she's not. I have no way of knowing.

My feeling though, is that if Williams was guilty of wrongdoing -- it should have been brought out at the time. Let him tell his side of things. If people were wronged by him -- let them tell their story. It's cowardly to attack him now. He's elderly, ill, I believe he has dementia. He can no longer defend himself. It's hardly a coincidence that Ikeda has just now put out the new volume of Human Revolution, and tossed old George under the bus.

Date: March 31, 2011 07:24AM

And the Spirit of Knowledge Academy (Soka) of Worcester, Massachusetts, has made the news....and not in a good way.

www.necn.com/03/21/11

[www.necn.com]

---------------------------------------Beginning of Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(NECN: Kenneth Craig, Worcester, Mass.) - Leaders at the Spirit of Knowledge Academy in Worcester are under fire after a new report showing the students' soaring MCAS scores.

Worcester city and school leaders on the attack Monday after a new report shows the city's newest charter school is doing little to educate students who fall within the achievement gap. ... something mandated by the education reform act.

The data - released to the Worcester school committee shows the MCAS scores of former Worcester public school students now at the Spirit of Knowledge Academy.

Spirit of Knowledge leader Julia Sigalovsky says the schools not doing anything wrong...and while they are making efforts to recruit underachieving students... selection is done by a lottery.
--------------------------------------end of quote-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, it's not that SOKA is necessarily a bad school. Those students who came into the school on grade level have progressed and achieved good test scores. The problem is that Soka is not educating those kids who are below grade level.

The Worcester area already had several schools that offering highly-regarded programs in math, science and technology -- as Soka does. In that regard, Soka is taking Massachusetts tax dollars and gifted students away from already-established programs. Apparently, those Soka students are scoring well on state tests -- but they were already achieving at, or above grade level when they came to Soka. Soka, on its application, promised that it would help low-achieving students -- and it's not doing that.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: March 31, 2011 01:09PM

Quite a few years back I was doing Gajokai duty at my local kaikan, answering the phones. One night the phone rang and it was George Williams. A “pioneer member” in our area had passed away and Mr. Williams was calling to get info about attending the funeral. So, I put him on hold and rang the office upstairs to tell them that Mr. Williams was on the line. None of the leaders wanted to talk to him and they told me to tell him that no one was in the office. At that time, I didn’t know about Mr. William’s situation with the SGI - I had just thought that he gave up his leadership voluntarily so that someone else could step up. I have no idea if all the rumors about him are true, but it angers me that he was treated so disrespectfully by everyone simply on Ikeda’s orders.

Posted by: TheVoid ()
Date: March 31, 2011 03:43PM

Shavoy
Nichijew
Shavoy
A few things on the mind.....first off, in the latest WT coverage on the earthquake/tsunami...SGI-USA apparently donated $50,000 to the relief effort. A mere drop from the SGI bucket, shall we say?

Dear Shavoy:

Nichijew, the computer I use at home hasn't let me get into the link, I'll be trying the ones at the library in a day or two, hopefully it will download there and I can read it...thanks for sending it along!

I have read the article and it is very interesting, rewrite history and the fools will never know!

Posted by: TheVoid ()
Date: March 31, 2011 03:43PM

Shavoy
Nichijew
Shavoy

Dear Shavoy:

quote]

I have read the article and it is very interesting, rewrite history and the fools will never know!

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: April 01, 2011 01:54AM

@Shavoy who wrote, "A few things on the mind.....first off, in the latest WT coverage on the earthquake/tsunami...SGI-USA apparently donated $50,000 to the relief effort. A mere drop from the SGI bucket, shall we say?" No, no, no! Please do not tell me that 50K is all SGI has given for relief efforts in Japan. Please do not tell me that they are hitting up the members for money when SGI is worth billions, which they mostly earned from the money of the Japanese members.

Date: April 01, 2011 05:23AM

SGBye
Quite a few years back I was doing Gajokai duty at my local kaikan, answering the phones. One night the phone rang and it was George Williams. A “pioneer member” in our area had passed away and Mr. Williams was calling to get info about attending the funeral. So, I put him on hold and rang the office upstairs to tell them that Mr. Williams was on the line. None of the leaders wanted to talk to him and they told me to tell him that no one was in the office. At that time, I didn’t know about Mr. William’s situation with the SGI - I had just thought that he gave up his leadership voluntarily so that someone else could step up. I have no idea if all the rumors about him are true, but it angers me that he was treated so disrespectfully by everyone simply on Ikeda’s orders.

That's sad...it reminds me of high school. Some popular kid takes a dislike to some other kid .... for any reason or no reason at all....and suddenly everyone is shunning and taunting this kid. If someone is friendly to this outcast kid, then he or she becomes a target too. It's bad enough when kids do things like this...it's even worse to see adults acting like this.

And again, I'll say that maybe Williams was guilty of wrongdoing. If he was, it should have been dealt with openly. SGI is so secretive about finances and how and why certain decisions are actually made. I agree with Anticult -- as long as SGI will not be open about its finances, and does not allow members to ask questions, or have any say in how the organization is run -- then members should not support SGI.

It's just ugly that Ikeda is kicking Williams when he's down...slandering an elderly man with dementia who cannot speak up for himself. It just show's Ikeda's vindictive and egotistical nature.

Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI: Soka Charter School
Date: April 01, 2011 05:36AM

www.buddhajones.com -- though not as edgy as the original buddhajones website -- does post some good stuff, including a funny little video about the mentor/disciple relationship.

Their latest is that now, SGI seems to be denying any connection with its charter school in Worcester.

-----------------beginning of quote, www.buddhajones.com website---------------------------------------------

[www.buddhajones.com]

I received a note from someone claiming that Spirit of Knowledge Academy, a taxpayer-funded charter school in Worcester, Mass., has nothing to do with Soka Gakkai, SGI or Daisaku Ikeda. Any resemblance is purely circumstantial.

Oh, really? What I want to know is: Why are SGI and SOKA pretending that they're unrelated? Clearly, they're related. But they sure have been careful to scrub the web of anything that might connect them.
Hmm. Maybe I'll have to put in a FOIA request to the Mass. Dept. of Education to obtain copies of all documents related to SOKA, going back to their initial citations of Daisaku Ikeda as the spokesman for Soka Philosophy.

Below is a screenshot of SOKA's linkedin profile. Click to enlarge. You can find the original page here, but probably not for long.
------------------------end of quote, www.buddhajones.com--------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------beginning of new quote, www.linkedin.com-------------------------------------------------------

Spirit of Knowledge is a tuition-free public charter school.

· Opening in September 2010 with 156 students in grades 7, 8 and 9. When at full capacity, will serve 275 students in grades 7 through 12. Admission priority for residents of Worcester, MA.

· Focused on achieving proficiency in math, sciences and technology and how it is applied to renewable energy and biotechnology preparing them for college admissions and beyond.

· Academic success will be achieved through a high-standard, innovative curriculum consisting of sequentially organized multi-year core-subject courses for all students.

· Extensive academic supports allowing every student to learn at her full capacity

· 1:1 Learning with Technology – every student is issued a laptop computer,there will be extensive use of technology in classroom

· A unique school culture based on a value-creating philosophy and positive character-building system, fostering academic achievement, personal responsibility, perseverance, respect for self and others, and peaceful conflict resolution.

· Strong discipline system based on consistent reinforcement of positive behavior, non-negotiable code of conduct, and use of school uniforms.

Specialties
S.T.E.M. Education, Green Learning, Soka Philosophy
------------------end of quote, www.linkedin.com------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on...."value-creating philosophy"? "peaceful conflict resolution"? "Soka Philosophy?" That just screams SGI, even if the original paperwork had not cited "the philosophy of educator Daisaku Ikeda."
 l

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2011 05:39AM by tsukimoto.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.