Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: August 12, 2010 12:48PM

@tsukimoto I repeat, how long will they wait till they start displaying pics of Ikeda in the hallways and classrooms? How long till they start adjusting history to mention Ikeda's global significance or displaying pics of him with famous world figures or better yet--Gandhi, King, Ikeda exhibit? How long till the students are "encouraged" to see him as THE role model (oops, I almost wrote another word)? Given the state of education and the lack of skills many students graduate with, what the hell, why not SoKA charter school? If anything ridiculous takes place the school won't survive. I doubt SGI or some of us want that to happen. I have heard good things about the quality of education of Soka schools in Japan so maybe SoKA will be a quality product. Sites like RRI may help keep them in line. I hope so anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: August 12, 2010 04:32PM

I believe that in its core this school issue is a more serious one not only in regards to SGI. Although for the time being on a lesser scale we in Europe have the same problem. Public funding for education is fading out. The idea to get some private funding in might have been a good one originally, but what does it say about us as a society if we basically are willing to accept just any one? We have some ‘private’ universities in Europe being granted state subsidies while public universities are struggling to get their roofs fixed.

On both sides of the Atlantic governments did not hesitate to save “struggling” banks and companies who brought our economies to the brink of collapse and yet our taxes are not being used for even the basic uses they have been intended for – at least for the uses one would have intended them for in a democracy.
So here we have organisations entering the education business that have dubious intentions. The intentions are dubious because we just have to look at SG in Japan, where SG is testing to just what extent the constitutional principle of a separation of state and religion can stretched.

It’s a fair statement to make that SG’s (active) membership in the US (and parts of Europe) is, if not dwindling, stagnant. SG has a problem now. The ‘product’ it sells does not sell anymore, so if you can not attract new ‘customers’ you have to find other sources of income. Entering this education business solves two problems:
A) A new source of income, which the public is stupid enough to offer
B) New Customers (Children do mostly have parents, don’t they?).

Looking at those activities strictly form a business perspective makes SG’s moves quite logical (which does send shivers down my spine). Even from a marketing point of view not mentioning SG in its new business market makes sense. If a company learns that its product has turned into a shelf warmer you give it a new package, a new name and even will obscure who the producer is. Your original product that has become a shelf warmer will still have its regular and faithful customers (Ikedaists).
So far I have read quite dodgy remarks on the Soka University of America, dodgy in its academic quality, value & performance and dodgy the way non-SGI staff and students were dealt with.

In the end I find it bitter that we leave the education of our children to the highest ‘bidder’. The worst part is, that we have an insight into SG’s ways and can amongst us bring some light into the issue, but how many organisations out there just work the same way that we are not aware of (another shiver just went down)?

Some here mentioned the ‘joyful’ days in SG we may have had. This makes me think of medicine and placebos – both to a certain degree will have the same results. The one who gives out medicine will (hopefully) do it with good intentions, but what should I say about the intentions of the one who dashes out the placebos?

Posted by: ScoobyDooby ()
Date: August 12, 2010 07:45PM

tsukimoto
ScoobyDooby
It appears that Dr. Sigalovsky was director of a similar Mass charter school:

[www.metrowestdailynews.com]

Look how careful SGI has been with the Spirit of Knowledge Academy. Everything that has been written about SOKA -- on the website, on the Massachusetts DOE application, in newspapers, in Dr. Sigalovsky's interviews...does not mention the Soka Gakkai or Buddhism. There was only one mention of Ikeda, on the charter school application. He was listed as an educator and author. Usually, he pads his resume...here he's deliberately understated his career. Someone...several someones, were VERY careful about how everything was worded. And it worked.

Someone has tried to tell the media and general public in Massachusetts about the Soka Gakkai's tie with the Spirit of Knowledge Academy....and the response is "Ho hum, is this really news? Nah,no meat to the story. Just a bunch of cranky people complaining on some website."

I agree, they have been very careful with this whole story and unfortunately, it is a non story to the media and general public, much like RTE. It makes me realize - that there are few people out there (outside of SGI's spin circle) that even know they exist. Recruitment is down, existing members are leaving in droves - I think it's a matter of time before SGI-USA just implodes or maybe there is a master plan to keep it afloat. And there are members (my wife included) who will stick to the organization no matter what.

Posted by: cyclops ()
Date: August 13, 2010 02:48AM

Beware of Greeks bearing GIFTS – I would include SGI in this stanza – RED FLAG - The last thing I wound entrust them (SGI) with is education – just look @ what they are doing with the YD it’s almost criminal, turning them loose wilily-nilly in a charter school – I hope there are going to be safeguards in place to keep the doctrine out – but I doubt it! Of course the school system here in the US is broken I will grant you this – two of my children are school teachers and the horror stories would make your heart break – just pitiful. SO what do you do? Based on what they (SGI) are doing with the membership here I would be hard pressed to accept SGI as doing this with no strings attached. After all who better to indoctrinate than the youth- Ikeda savior of the WORLD or maybe even the Universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Sorry the sarcastic side of me got the better of me after all I am only human : )
Can anyone say - shakubuku campaign? :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 02:50AM by cyclops.

Posted by: cyclops ()
Date: August 14, 2010 12:48AM

On SGI and the numbers game – I have two for you – a while back the MD had a rally and the word went out far and wide to the far corners of the SG empire of course I mean e-mail, the rally of course was to give our undying support for our dear leader Ikeda – well some of us sat this one out and didn’t go – one member that did go said that most of us that didn’t go were on the sign-in sheet as attending! He said he went to the Area Leader and asked why we were on the sheet, because he said that we weren’t present @ the rally – the Area Leader said well I know they are here in spirit so we added them on the sheet!
WHAT UP WITH THAT!
One of my children had much the same experience – YD rally for no other reason than to show their devotion to their Master Ikeda – well she and some others didn’t go and a friend that did go said that they were on the sheet as attending – and all they got was a e-mail invite to go – SO I guess the Leadership felt their presence – sort of like THE FORCE and placed their names on the sheet –
WHAT UP WITH THAT!!!
SO - SGI is tweaking the numbers with ghost to inflate their numbers – to show thier vast legions of loyal members awaiting their marching orders from their MASTER - for world kosen- rufu ;0
Question posed – have any of you had this happen to you – or someone you know!

Posted by: ScoobyDooby ()
Date: August 14, 2010 01:40AM

I know the numbers game well because I am one of them. I rarely chant and hardly ever attend meetings (unless they are in my home), never received the Gohonzon but I have been a card carrying member of the SGI for last 15 years simple by being married to a WD member.

Posted by: gingermarie ()
Date: August 14, 2010 02:35AM

Sometimes we would add a name to the attendance list if we thought that the member would likely attend if they weren't working. I'm not advocating this at all; but it did happen if the member was a die hard.

Likewise, I have told my husband to take me and my daughter off the district stats. I then took our membership cards and ripped them up. I would only hope that this means that I am not counted as a member, but then again, I can't be sure. I still get World Tribune reports sent to me via email despite my efforts to change this. I haven't subscribed for over a year, and my name still appears, as do others who haven't subscribed for several years. I don't know if this is in error, but I believe that it is deliberate.

On another note, my husband told me that the mentor did not appear on the last HQ video. The story is that he wants to prepare the members, train the next level of leaders, etc. Anyone else hear this? Sounds strange to me. Why now and all of the sudden?

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: August 14, 2010 03:16AM

Sort of the' numbers' Game: At one May contribution time a leader told me it was important to make sure contributors had their name on the envelope. (No anonymous donations,etc.), so they would know who in the district paid and who didn't and who to 'home visit' so they could get as close to 100% participation as possible. Sure, let's finally show those stragglers we care about how they participate in this daily practice by giving the greatest effort of the year toward giving our time infiltrating their space so we can walk away with some money in hand.
Some mention has been made on this thread about giving the SGI or leaders credit for not checking on how much your payment is. In business, I believe, when you have greater numbers of people contributing varying amounts for donations or have standard low rates for publications, rallies, etc, it adds up to a substantial sum eventually. And then there are the great amounts they can expect: When one is encouraged to give beyond their comfort zone for the SGI the benefit will be greater.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: August 14, 2010 04:12AM

cyclops
well some of us sat this one out and didn’t go – one member that did go said that most of us that didn’t go were on the sign-in sheet as attending! He said he went to the Area Leader and asked why we were on the sheet, because he said that we weren’t present @ the rally – the Area Leader said well I know they are here in spirit so we added them on the sheet!

One of my children had much the same experience – YD rally for no other reason than to show their devotion to their Master Ikeda – well she and some others didn’t go and a friend that did go said that they were on the sheet as attending – and all they got was a e-mail invite to go – SO I guess the Leadership felt their presence – sort of like THE FORCE and placed their names on the sheet –

Indeed, what up with that? If it were any organization but SGI, I wouldn't believe it.

I do remember being asked to estimate how many members were at this or that meeting (for reports to senior leaders) -- and when I'd come up with a number, the leader would say, "Oh, that sounds too low...I think it was really such and such," (a number that was higher than my estimate.) At the time, I didn't think about it much. I figured I just didn't estimate well, or that I just didn't remember the meeting well.

Between grad school and getting the job I now have, I was living with my parents in another city. I was often out, and my mother took messages from SGI members for me. They were charming to her, and she kept telling me, "Oh, those Buddhist friends of yours are so nice!" A leader told me, "Your mother is really a Buddhist in her heart; she is serving kosen-rufu by supporting your practice."

At the time, it just seemed like a nice compliment. Now, I'm wondering if the leader put my mother on the membership list, even though she has never chanted nor attended a meeting.

I wonder if the leaders here put me on the list for the Rock the Era meeting. I was in another state, visiting a relative that weekend....how amazing that I can be in two places at the same time! Man, when they say that this practice allows you to do unbelievable things....they meant it.

Heck, maybe my mother even made it to Rock the Era, even though she insists she was home that weekend.

If SGI leaders are under such pressure to inflate their numbers, doesn't that mean that Rock the Era did not accomplish what it was intended to?

Posted by: doubtful ()
Date: August 15, 2010 07:07AM

@tsukimoto, You wrote, "If SGI leaders are under such pressure to inflate their numbers, doesn't that mean that Rock the Era did not accomplish what it was intended to?" I think many of us can tell stories about inflated stats re: district membership lists. Some of us repeatedly asked for an inactive list in addition to the active list. Some brought this up locally. Some brought this up at FNCC in front of many leaders. We were always turned down out of "compassion" for all members. I never did understand how this was an act of compassion. That's one of those words that loses its meaning once it gets used too often. If anyone out there has figured out the reason SGI is opposed to differentiating active from no longer interested(oops, I mean inactive) members please tell me. Apparently RTE was a popular success. At least the venue used in Chicago was full. I heard that was true of some of the others. I have heard mixed reviews but none really saying it was awful. In fact, I spoke to one inactive member who attended who does not like organized anything and he said he was glad he went. I was surprised. Even some of those who posted here did not really say anything bad about it. But there is something I find a bit strange re: number inflation. Many of the YD of my district did not attend. If that turned out to be typical of other districts, how did they fill those venues? Who was actually there? I suspect the other divisions filled up the place by bringing new or newer YDs with them. That's all right, I guess. What concerns me more is that RTE has been considered a success because of the attendance, which means there will be other events like it repeated. I sincerely hope that the YD are not subjected to this again. Perhaps they should now go out and "make their dreams come true." Since this is what SGI says Buddhism is for, then the YD should start making it happen. I do wish them the best, although I know that most critically-minded people may like the practice, but they won't stick around for the Ikeda worship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2010 07:10AM by doubtful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.