Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: March 16, 2010 04:07AM

Rothaus
@ Tsukimoto

well I myself am not to sure what to think whenever nichiren followers amongst themselves throw with dirt at each other or proclaim that they are the real McCoy. Sceptical and turned off.

How far is SGI, amongst others, from such a view of the world. Gandhi and King to me represent a very simple idea - to show and live UNCONDITIONAL respect for others.

I agree, Rothaus. I do think that one problem is the mixing of religion and politics. SGI cannot say things that it should be saying because it doesn't want the Komeito Party to lose votes. Nichiren, on the other hand, had no interest in political power -- and he was able to speak the truth, as he saw it, to the most powerful men of his day.

Ikeda's desire for wealth and power has turned SGI into something it was never intended to be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 16, 2010 02:17PM

That is interesting what you have been writing about in regards to Ikeda, MLK, and Gandhi. Before SGI, I had heard of MLK and Gandhi, and never Ikeda. Then, I started to believe he is a man of peace, but I believe with the wrong intentions.

I don't know if I did the best thing, but I blocked all the e-mails from any SGI people. I then got a few calls from people saying that I should make sure my e-mail is working correctly, and I should check if my e-mail is full because their e-mails to me were getting bounced back. I didn't return any of the calls. I didn't feel the need to have to explain myself, and I wasn't feeling strong enough. I am concerned, and want to protect myself from being manipulated or guilted.

Now, my sponsor called and said it is obvious that I have cut off, and I am not chanting, and that is okay. Then, she said that she just wants me to be happy, and my happiness is so important to her. I feel weird about this message. I am not sure what her intention was to call me. I am going to not think too much what it means, and I will stay strong with my intention to not be apart of the SGI. I still think my sponsor is a good person, and like I mentioned before, I don't think chanting is bad. I do think the organization is corrupt and dysfunctional, and I don't choose to be apart of that right now.

Posted by: DavidM ()
Date: March 16, 2010 08:45PM

Findingmywaytoday
I still think my sponsor is a good person, and like I mentioned before, I don't think chanting is bad. I do think the organization is corrupt and dysfunctional, and I don't choose to be apart of that right now.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that.
When you do get telephone calls and messages from SGI members of course it has an effect on your mind. You are subconsciously reminded of the feelings of 'safety and belonging' that you felt when you were in SGI. That is a very powerful emotion so its natural to feel unsure of what you shoudl be doing. But in that moment I think you need to remind yourself of the reasons that SGI is corrupt and dysfunctional. So no matter how 'nice' or 'convincing' your friends in SGI are, you are confident in knowing the truth.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: March 17, 2010 01:25AM

Findingmywaytoday
That is interesting what you have been writing about in regards to Ikeda, MLK, and Gandhi. Before SGI, I had heard of MLK and Gandhi, and never Ikeda. Then, I started to believe he is a man of peace, but I believe with the wrong intentions.

I don't know if I did the best thing, but I blocked all the e-mails from any SGI people. I then got a few calls from people saying that I should make sure my e-mail is working correctly, and I should check if my e-mail is full because their e-mails to me were getting bounced back. I didn't return any of the calls. I didn't feel the need to have to explain myself, and I wasn't feeling strong enough. I am concerned, and want to protect myself from being manipulated or guilted.

Now, my sponsor called and said it is obvious that I have cut off, and I am not chanting, and that is okay. Then, she said that she just wants me to be happy, and my happiness is so important to her. I feel weird about this message. I am not sure what her intention was to call me. I am going to not think too much what it means, and I will stay strong with my intention to not be apart of the SGI. I still think my sponsor is a good person, and like I mentioned before, I don't think chanting is bad. I do think the organization is corrupt and dysfunctional, and I don't choose to be apart of that right now.

Dear FMT:

They are expert at exploiting weakness. One need become a poker player and a better one than your opponents. When weak [have a weak hand] act strong and when strong [act weak]. I think you wear your emotions on your sleeve. Although that may be a sign of sincerity and openness, very positive qualities in an ideal world, in the SGI world of animality and anger, it is a signal to pounce. Why don't you ask Rothaus about the fine Nichiren Shu faith and practice? They are truly the universal universalists of Nichiren Buddhism. Then you can turn the tables on them, they will fear you and avoid you because you will become everything they are not and hope to be.

Nichi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 01:26AM by Nichijew.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: March 17, 2010 04:21AM

Nichijew
Why don't you ask Rothaus about the fine Nichiren Shu faith and practice? They are truly the universal universalists of Nichiren Buddhism. Then you can turn the tables on them, they will fear you and avoid you because you will become everything they are not and hope to be.
I personally think that this would be the most counter productive thing to do!!

And by the way I am no official Nichiren Shu member, they do have their own down sides too, it will take a LONG time before I will, if ever, officially join a certain branch. They have been helpful to get to know aspects of Nichiren Buddhism that I was not familiar with. I do however have found like minded Nichiren practitioners and am VERY comfortable with that.

What SGI fears most, and what it propagates on an official level (funny enough), is individuality or simply being able to think for yourself. No hiding in dogmas or other peoples thoughts is needed for that.

I too was once in a state of anger about SGI, but this sort of emotion is a dead end road as it sucks out ones energy. I will however warn anyone who wants to know about the cult mechanisms at work in this organisation. What I will certainly not do, is use the same tactics SGI uses. And as I stated before I do not consider this forum the right one to elaborate in great lengths on dogmatic issues anyway.

As for "Findingmywaytoday" - just be YOU, trust yourself and your own judgement again and live your life in the most positive manner. As I once said I used the newly gained time in the evenings to get another university degree to move forward on a professional level and got much more receptive to other peoples beliefs and faiths.
The world of faith can be enriching, inspiring and a guide in life, but it can also lead to anger, hate and disrespectful attitude towards fellow human beings. The later I got to know in SGI (especially the way people judged other (Nichiren) faiths and ways of practice) and I will not lower myself to that standard any more.

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: March 17, 2010 09:46AM

Rothaus, Congrats on your new degree!

Posted by: Arckangel ()
Date: March 21, 2010 02:27AM

I invite you all to read the 'Letter To Reggie' written by Mark Rogow of Kempon Hokke, a school of Nichiren Daishonin Buddhism. [www.fraughtwithperil.com]

I stopped chanting to the SGI Gohonzon a year ago after 4 years and a half of practice. I realized that something very wrong was going on. Many things would go wrong.

I removed the SGI Gohonzon from the home and things have started to get much better. I was still wondering if the SGI Gohonzon was good or not, since SGI members kept telling me it was alright and they got so or so benefit.

That letter finally convinced me SGI, Nichiren Shoshu and Nichiren Shu all teach the wrong practice since that letter tells exactly WHAT the correct practice is.

Shakyamuni Buddha, let's admit it, is compeletely ABSENT in SGI Buddhism. That's one of the first thing I realized about Soka Gakkai. I was told Shakyamuni was of low importance to Nichiren Buddhists. I now understand it's a scandal and a slander for Ikeda and SGI to minimize Shakyamuni's impact.

The SGI Gongyo book doesn't even address Shakyamuni in Silent Prayers which is definitely a SCANDAL! I've always wondered how could they omit him. Before leaving SGI, I even decided to add Shakyamuni in silent prayers even if he wasn't there. How could 2 more lines could hurt them?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 02:41AM by Arckangel.

Posted by: DavidM ()
Date: March 22, 2010 02:53AM

While I personally agree with you in some ways Arckangel I don't think this is the proper forum for promotion of any religion at all. I think this should discussion should be purely about SGI, its fine to inform people that there are other Nichiren sects but I think it will damage the integrity and neutrality of this board if it is perceived that this forum is somehow promoting Nihciren schools alternative to SGI.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: March 22, 2010 06:44AM

Thank you for that message. I just read through some passages of the blog and what I noticed was that is was filled with that same sort of hate, anger and self-opinionated talk that I know from SGI. As a matter of fact is that not true for all cults? Them against us? The enemy talk, the talk about that ones own position is the ultimate truth?

To anyone out there – glow, blossom and flourish in the faith you practise and if you shine without a faith then so be it, but do not put down anyone who thinks differently. If you do you are not one bit better than all the isms like fascism, communism, fundamentalism that make the world look what it looks like today. Sorry for saying that, but it really does p..s me of at times.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: March 22, 2010 07:03AM

Does anyone know what's going on with the SGIUnofficial message board? When I try to look at messages there, I keep getting a page that says it's temporarily unavailable. It's been this way for several days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 07:04AM by tsukimoto.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.