Current Page: 70 of 748
Re: SGI, The richest cult in the world, over $1 BILLION in the USA
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: December 03, 2009 05:14AM

yes, and then the money gets transfered to offshore tax-havens located all over the world.
Never mind the billion(s) in the USA in the investment holding company called Soka University...
what about the rest of the world?

What about the dozens and hundreds of offshore tax-havens where these sorts of groups put their billions, far outside the eyes of regulators or governments, which are then used in hedge funds and who knows what?
Even Dr. Phil says for every rat you can see, there are 100 you can't see.

In terms of financials alone, SGI cannot be trusted at all.
The SGI "religion" does not deserve one dollar in donations, as they choose to conceal their financial statements.
Where have the billions gone? More real estate? Did it leave the country somehow?

Where have those millions and even possible billions in CASH donations from SGI members gone?

-------------------------From www.mombu.com/religion--------Fundraising in SGI Japan-----Quote-----------

However, a financial expert says that most of the money
collected is invested in financial markets. "In the case of last year,
money transferred to authorized accounts at banks in Tokyo
was added up twice between September and November. The
three extra months' worth of zaimu was received as 'pennies
from heaven' and kept idle in the usual accounts. They thought it
would be profitable if they lumped it all together and invested the
large amount at fixed intervals. The money from the banks in
Tokyo was amassed together at the Yotsuya branch of Mitsubishi
Bank, the Gakkai's main bank and then invested in the
zaimu department of each of the Tokyo banks. Then, in
accordance with instructions from Mitsubishi Bank, the money was
returned to the Yotsuya branch, and then remitted to banks and
securities firms which pay high interest. Then it was deposited
in a fixed account in the Postal savings system. There is also a
recent report that it is being invested as a hedge fund for
overseas, where they are speculatively vigorous."

--------------------------------------------End of Quote--------------------------------
[/quote]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: December 03, 2009 05:23AM

As Tsukimoto I am not surprised that one can donate via credit card on the other hand was there not always a big fus being made that one should combine the donation with determination (?!) i.e. be convinced to give with a "sincere" heart?
Or is my recolletion just playing a trick on me ??

Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: December 03, 2009 10:25AM

My grandmother used to tell me not to give my money to that "kakamemi" (Yiddish for full of s--t) religion.

I gave thousands and so did my parents. At one point during my childhood, my parents tried to please a leader of theirs and bought real estate from them. Then my parents lost thousands as they didn't know the first thing about real estate.

I was trying to please everyone so I lost a lot of money. I was a little kid and should have been buying barbies and instead I was giving money for the construction of Taiseki-ji...which is now torn down!

Does anyone know the REAL reason Taiseki-ji was torn down? I can't seem to find an answer that isn't Ikeda dogma.

Re: Former SGI members, Greg Wolpert, David Kasahara
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: December 03, 2009 10:39AM

The Anticult
I
An actual person is writing the SGI-USA material, like that was just posted in this thread. Of course its not Ikeda, that is impossible and absurd.
Its probably one main person in the SGI-USA offices who is in charge of that area, someone who really knows what they are doing.

SGI does have their own publishing company, the Middleway Press. Clearly some of SGI's millions have gone into Middleway, feeding Ikeda's fantasy that he's a successful author. Running a publishing house must be expensive, especially when you're paying ghostwriters for their writing skill and silence. And let's face it, these books don't exactly sound like blockbuster best-sellers. Sure, some devout SGI members buy anything that Ikeda writes -- but that's not a huge number of people -- not when you compare it to the best-sellers that Amazon and the big bookstores are selling. Many, many small, specialized presses have gone out of business in recent years because they just cannot compete with the bigger book retailers. Middleway doesn't have to worry about being profitable, does it? You don't need profits when you've got zaimu.

So who is our mystery propagandist? Greg Martin? Michael Lisagor? Woody Hochswender?

-------Begin Quote, from Middleway Press's Website-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Middleway Press

Middleway Press is the trade publishing division of the SGI-USA, the American branch of the Soka Gakkai International, the 12-million-member lay Buddhist organization committed to world peace through cultural exchange and education for the happiness and welfare of all humanity.

The Soka Gakkai, which means "Society for the Creation of Value," was founded in Japan in 1930, based on the teachings of Nichiren, a 13th-century Japanese Buddhist teacher and reformer.

Though the SGI-USA has published books for decades for its membership, Middleway Press was founded with the express purpose of making the teachings of Nichiren Buddhism and the philosophy of SGI and its president, Daisaku Ikeda, more widely available in the United States.
----------------------------------end of quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave McNeill, Reiko Groshell, and Jason Henninger have been listed as contact people in Middleway Press. These names sound familiar. I believe that Jason was a Young Men's Division Leader in SGI. Maybe Reiko was a Young Women's Division Leader?

Middleway Press has sixteen titles listed, most by Ikeda.

These titles were written by Ikeda alone: (well, not counting the ghostwriters)
1. Buddhism Day By Day
2. Buddhism For You: Courage
3. Buddhism For You: Determination
4. Buddhism For You: Love
5. Buddhism For You: Prayer
6. For The Sake of Peace
7. The Way of Youth
8. The Living Buddha (translator Burton Watson, no translators are listed for the other books.)
9. Soka Education
10. Unlocking the Mysteries of Birth and Death

In addition, Ikeda has written these books with other people:
1. Choose Hope (David Krieger, an antinuclear activist, is the co-author.)
2. On Being Human (Co-authors are Rene Simard, a biology professor at the University of Montreal, and Guy Borgeault, an ethics professor at U Montreal.)
3. Planetary Citizenship (Co-author is Hazel Henderson, an economist and writer; she has also been involved with the Ikeda Center in Boston.)

These books were not written by Ikeda:
1. The Buddha In Your Mirror, by Woody Hochswender, a journalist and 25 year member of SGI, Greg Martin, vice-general director, SGI-USA, and Ted Morino, also a vice-general director of SGi-USA. Morino is also the former director of the SGI-USA study department, and has done much translation for SGI.

2. The Buddha Next Door, by Greg Martin, vice-general director, SGI-USA, and Zan Gaudioso, who wrote for some of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series.

3. Romancing the Buddha, Michael Lisagor, a 35 year member of SGI, and writer for the World Tribune and Living Buddhism, SGI publications.

Date: December 03, 2009 10:54AM

evergreen
My grandmother used to tell me not to give my money to that "kakamemi" (Yiddish for full of s--t) religion.

I gave thousands and so did my parents. At one point during my childhood, my parents tried to please a leader of theirs and bought real estate from them. Then my parents lost thousands as they didn't know the first thing about real estate.

I was trying to please everyone so I lost a lot of money. I was a little kid and should have been buying barbies and instead I was giving money for the construction of Taiseki-ji...which is now torn down!

Does anyone know the REAL reason Taiseki-ji was torn down? I can't seem to find an answer that isn't Ikeda dogma.

Evergreen, I remember reading somewhere that Taiseki-ji was structurally unsound and dangerous. That first, it's not a great idea to build a massive concrete structure in an area that's very prone to earthquakes, and second, there was some problem with the concrete itself. The concrete was reinforced with iron bars inside, but apparently there were a lot of rust stains on the outside of the structure, evidence that the supporting iron bars inside were corroding far sooner than they should have. This would mean that the structure is weaker than it should be and less able to withstand the force of an earthquake. I have no background in engineering, architecture or construction, so I have no idea if this explanation is even logical. The Nichiren Shoshu priests are not engineers or builders either -- so who did they consult? I'll see if I can find that website again.

Wow, asking a little kid to contribute zaimu to build a temple? That doesn't seem right at all.

Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: December 03, 2009 01:34PM

tsuki (can I call you that or do you prefer tsukimoto?) et al.

I just got done reading a bunch of material. I now remember the structural problems that were discovered at the Grand Reception Hall - the hall that was created with the donations of NSA (many of whom are now SGI members).

I also got done reading a member guide on the NST website. I wonder if Nichiren himself would be alright with me going solo. I am in no way saying that I would stick with a group for the wrong reasons. Just wondering. I can't seem to wrap around who has claims to be the Master in the Master/Mentor disciple concept.

For now all I can do to think straight is to chant.

Its time to believe in myself a little, right? Thanks to all on the thread who have researched and sifted through so much data!

Date: December 04, 2009 12:25AM

Evergreen, I found this quote on the "Abusive Relationships" Forum, and liked it. It's by Ricketybridge.

---------------------Beginning of Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daytripper, I TOTALLY know what you mean about feeling unhinged without a lens to filter everything in your life through. Mine wasn't about god, but it was just as rigid: about success and pushing myself to insane limits. And not knowing which way is up has been a by-product of detaching myself from that lens, but at least it's SOOOO much more true to life than anything that any guru can tell you. Life IS confusing, it IS overwhelming, and somehow I feel I just need to cultivate what John Keats wrote about: negative capability: the ability to be ok with NOT knowing, with allowing yourself to slowly figure things out or not at all.

Maariu is so right in saying that one's philosophy of life should come from one's own reading (or experiences) than some huckster's opinion.
----------------------------------End of quote-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After I left SGI, I missed having a group to practice with, and looked at Nichiren Shu and Nichiren Shoshu. Fortunately, or unfortunately, neither sect has any groups in my area. For now, I practice alone, and maybe that's not a bad thing. I spent many years in SGI being told how I should think -- maybe now I need to discover what it is that I really think.

I like to chant, so I do that, and read some of my gosho books. You hear so much about this religion and that; everyone thinks that theirs is the right one. Who ever really knows? I like Ricketybridge's idea of just allowing myself to slowly figure things out -- and to accept that I don't have to know everything. So what if I'm not certain of everything? People who are so certain of everything (or who pretend to be) sometimes do terrible damage to themselves and others.

Tsuki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2009 12:28AM by tsukimoto.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: December 04, 2009 03:34AM

Hi Evergreen, Hi Tsuki

I think Tsuki is right take your time. I did a lot of research on Nichiren Buddhism and Buddhism in general afterwards. What I learned mad me angry at times as I realised information was withheld from me (or did I not want to see it).
A Nichiren Shu priest once said that former SGI members have to go through a kind of detoxing - some may carry on with the practise some may not but at any rate he said the detoxing is part of the healing.
I do seek closer ties with Nichiren Shu and find its quite pleasing not to have a group near me at the moment and I am not being pushed into something by the priests - they rarely call, and if they do, apologise for disturbing me, now thats unfamiliar too!!! Letting time go by a bit clears the mind.
Look at it this way - its the first time in your life to find out if Nichiren-Buddhism IS your spiritual home - or not. And if its not you life WILL go on. And you always will have some buddies here that went through the same thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2009 03:53AM by Rothaus.

Re: Former SGI members, Greg Wolpert, David Kasahara
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: December 04, 2009 09:56AM

Dear anyicult:

I have to agree with Rothaus. I lived in Italy for 5 years and Kaneda, the country's General Director's word was always the final word. Here in the United States it is Danny Nagashima. Some of the most "important" guidance ever given by Ikeda is the importance of communication. Those who fail to report are considered as evil as murderers in the Soka Gakkai. The Cho system of reporting and guidance which permeates SGI is stronger the higher up you go in the organization. This mandates that the General Directors are in daily communication with Japan, both reporting and receiving guidance simultaneously. You can not think of a more centralized organization than the sGI in the entire world. Some of the most learned psychologists in Japan are some of the top senior leaders and they are all [until they are not like Yano] fanatically loyal to Ikeda.

Nichijew

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: December 05, 2009 01:18AM

Does anyone know if you are able to officially disjoin the SGI? Anyone successful in doing that? I know that you can return your gohonzon (if you can ward off all the members that will talk you out of it), but what about just your actual membership? Although I'm not being counted anymore in the SGI's meticulous meeting attendance reports, it still bothers me that I'm counted as a member and are in their official database somewhere (probably in California).

Current Page: 70 of 748

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.