Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: May 09, 2012 07:26AM

jlynneda63
Well that is bizarre. Where was the pic aken & why? Where did the gohonzons come from sgi gives out?

That pic was taken at Minobu [Nichiren Shu], either within the temple grounds or directly outside. SGI uses a scroll manufacturer, probably not unlike blankwallscrolls.com Not sure if the company is owned by them or they contract out their Gohonzon. Certainly, they are not hand mounted.

Nichijew

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 09, 2012 07:32AM

KR
jlynneda63
Well that is bizarre. Where was the pic aken & why? Where did the gohonzons come from sgi gives out?
The SGI gohonzons are massed produced and if my information is correct, even the act of doing such is grave slander to the Nichiren tradition. Gohonzons are suppose to be inscribed by priest and from what I hear the ceremony is quite special. My linage of High Priest of the Nichiren Shoshu is quite shaky but I believe the SGI gohonzons are inscribed by the High Priest that preceeded Nittatsu (spelling is wrong sorry) SGI had a pretty complicated relationship with Nittatsu and when Nikken Abe became the High Priest the relationship with SGI tanked. Most of SGI's real relationship with Nichiren Shoshu and Nikken Abe is primarily based on heresy so no one will ever know the truth.

quote]

Some Nichiren sects principally utilize copies of Nichiren inscribed Gohonzon, rather than those of priests. The SGI Gohonzon is a copy of the controvertial 26th High priest's [17th century], Nichikan.

Nichijew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 07:32AM by Nichijew.

Posted by: KR ()
Date: May 09, 2012 07:46AM

SGI is a frivolous organization:

The Anticult
SGI-USA hires the top PR and US marketing agencies and people, to come up with new methods of advertising for fresh-meat uh...new members.
These people tell SGI-USA to advertise, they need to do things like pick hit songs which are "hip" to attract younger people who know nothing about Buddhism. The less they know the better, as then they are easier to dupe, with the organized systematic SGI lies.
Its correct to ponder exactly what percentage of there collected expenditures are invested in marketing and advertising in the USA alone. One could only guess they outspend mega churches somewhere in the ballpark of either 3-1 or 4-1 compared to what they spend on their advertising alone, which could only be interpreted as a delight because when you have to spend that much it only says that the organization is failing.

They spend X amount to only receive a minimal return of investment. Most of the material in the bookstore are sold below market value, they are losing money and they know it. It isn't a stretch to say that SGI must depend on their real estate assets to offset these dismal numbers. Their numbers continue to dwindle and May Contribution Month is more of a con to reinforce the myth that SGI is a growing organization.

If SGI ever disclosed their finances, the money alone will reflect that they are receding, especially if we could have access to the numbers from 10 years ago. Even I have seen the writing on the wall.

I participated in "Rock the Era" and remember being told by local SGI Leadership that "This will be the only big event for a very long time" meaning they have lost the will and resources to organize huge so-called culture festivals. Yet their advertising expenditures have risen because of sites like these. One must ponder how much is spent for losing court cases and damage control alone?

Posted by: KR ()
Date: May 09, 2012 07:53AM

Nichijew
KR
jlynneda63
The SGI gohonzons are massed produced and if my information is correct, even the act of doing such is grave slander to the Nichiren tradition. Gohonzons are suppose to be inscribed by priest and from what I hear the ceremony is quite special. My linage of High Priest of the Nichiren Shoshu is quite shaky but I believe the SGI gohonzons are inscribed by the High Priest that preceeded Nittatsu (spelling is wrong sorry) SGI had a pretty complicated relationship with Nittatsu and when Nikken Abe became the High Priest the relationship with SGI tanked. Most of SGI's real relationship with Nichiren Shoshu and Nikken Abe is primarily based on heresy so no one will ever know the truth.

Some Nichiren sects principally utilize copies of Nichiren inscribed Gohonzon, rather than those of priests. The SGI Gohonzon is a copy of the controvertial 26th High priest's [17th century], Nichikan.

Nichijew

Thanks for the correction. I heard of the name, but didn't realize that Nichikan went as far back as the 17th century. Is there a rhyme or reason to why they would use a Nichikan inscribed gohonzon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 07:54AM by KR.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: May 09, 2012 08:38AM

Hitch

On that note - I know it's hard to listen to this kind of stuff once you've been in and are now out, but in this clip [www.youtube.com], there is a very telling portion if you skip to the approx. halfway portion ~ 4 min. mark, where George Williams is talking about the nature of Osaka people as being greedy:

(Paraphrased) "In Osaka, people don't say 'Good Morning' to each other like normal people, instead they say "Are you making much money?!?" "Making profit!?!" That's their greeting! And this is why the Osaka-Kansai region was so important to conquer in terms of shakubuku. The Kansai Spirt."

Osaka people are greedy? Really? It's interesting how much this quote about Osaka people sounds like something that President Toda said in the 1950's (also quoted on page 274 of this thread, March 3, 2011)

---------------------------Beginning of quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[forum.culteducation.com]

Toda was also not speaking metaphorically about material benefits. For Toda, true faith should bring rewards in terms of health and wealth,as is made clear in another talk ;When I meet you, I don't ask: "Are you keeping faith?" The reason is that I take your shakubuku for granted. What I really want to ask you is how your business is, whether you are making money, and if you are healthy. Only when all of you receive divine benefits do I feel happy.

A person who says "I keep faith; I conduct shakubuku" when he is poor - I don't consider him my pupil. Your faith has only one purpose: to improve your business and family life.Those who talk about "faith" and do not attend to their business are sacrilegious. Business is a service to the community. I will expel those of you who do nothing but shakubuku without engaging in business. (Murata, pp.107-8)

---------------------end of quote---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And speaking of money and business:

---------------------------------beginning of quote------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.costar.com]

May 2, 2012

Soka Gakkai International - USA acquired the Beber Silverstein office building at 3361 SW 3rd Ave. in Miami, FL from the Beber Silverstein Group for $3.5 million, or $175 per square foot.

The two-story, 20,000-square-foot office building was built in 1956 in the Coral Way submarket.

Jeff Cohen of Esslinger Wooten Maxwell Commercial represented the seller. The buyer was represented in-house.

Please refer to CoStar COMPS #2290638 for more information on this transaction.

----------------------------end of quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't say that SGI is going broke anytime soon, even if their American membership is decreasing. They've been investing in real estate, valuable art, and the stock market since the 1950's, they're tax exempt as a religious organization, and they also have reduced their operating expenses by getting members to do much of the organization's work for free. Even if they didn't take in another cent from their members -- SGI owns real estate and fine art that is appreciating in value, and all kind of businesses and financial investments that are making money.

Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: May 09, 2012 08:52AM

Quote:
HITCH

You know, KR, while reading your post above, after the second sentence, before I even finished reading the rest, I KNEW that they wouldn't put it up. I agree, they have absolutely no regard whatsoever as to the feelings of members when it comes to certain things.

The kaikans (community centers) have rules as to what can and can't be done. In typical fascist protocol, one just isn't allowed to think independently or exercise any judgement outside of the box, for any reason. It would require an official decision, with formal permission granted from a higher up in order to deviate any amount from the set standards pre-dictated by the bureaucracy (robots can only follow the commands that they are initially programed with). Again, it's a Japanese mentality and it's all pervasive and much more frustrating in Japan. It's just how they are and how it works.

...Nothing is as it appears on the surface, with the gakkai - everything is manipulated.

For such a "humanistic" organization, how ironic that they operate in such a dehumanizing manner, starting with the very removal of your freedom and rights for self-determination and choice. Do people not see the base hypocrisy?

Hitch, this reminds me of my final rift with the SGcult in 2003 when the Iraq invasion began. At the Seattle Culture Center, an anti-war display created by local member(s) was arbitarily removed by one of the center's senior staff members (she was reportedly boasting about her "sole" decision to deny the display.)

Lack of concern about the beginning of the "long war" from SGcult leadership flowed down into the membership. Out of all the (supposedly thousands) local members, there were less than 50 SGcult members that were buddhistic enough to hit the streets to join in with us anti-war protesters. When pressed about the illegal invasion and war, one popular excuse I was given by senior leaders was that SGI-USA couldn't support any anti-war protest efforts or display anti-war materials because it might endanger SGi's tax exempt status (not true by the way). Another lame excuse was that SGI didn't want to "offend" any of its military members by supporting anti war protests. Yet another excuse stated that the war was a political affair and SGcult doesn't involve itself with politics.

The great towering height of SGcult's hypocrisy hit me in the face for the last time. I was so sickened by the inhumanity of the SGcult that I resolved to leave and NEVER EVER return. These SGcult bastards care nothing for humanity. They pretend to be against war, but their only agendas are promoting the organization, maintaining their status quo as 'ridiculously empowered elite", and raking in the big bucks (not necessarily in the order).

The SGcult doesn't care about you, your well-being, or if the entire world goes to hell in a handbasket. Thank goodness for a forum where this truth can be brought to light.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: May 09, 2012 11:46AM

Spartacus
Yet another excuse stated that the war was a political affair and SGcult doesn't involve itself with politics.

That's absolutely hilarious since the Soka Gakkai has their own political party in Japan. But that's one of their best-kept secrets in the U.S. I remember mentioning the New Komeito Party to some long-time members and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: May 09, 2012 02:21PM

Tsukimoto - Exactly. It's either an intentional twist, a Freudian slip or both.

Re: Gakkai & Komeito

These two are in bed with each other. During elections, there are massive grass roots "get the vote out" campaigns undertaken by armies of gakkai member foot soldiers (young & old alike) in terms of telephoning, going door to door and handing out flyers/pamphlets on busy street corners in support of "official" gakkai endorsed Komeito candidates. Their larger meetings organizing the logistics of some of the campaigns are so secretive that they even cursory screen all members in attendance for any kind of recording devices upon entry at the kaikans. These "connections" and machinations all take place before, during and after elections; beforehand to tell people whom to support, during on election day to make sure that everyone exercises their vote as instructed (if you need transportation or have some other problem preventing you from voting, etc.) and afterwards to confirm participation, relay thanks for one's efforts and cooperation (and give a "wink" for the next time).

It's an intentionally opaque, slick and well-oiled machine.

Date: May 09, 2012 03:25PM

KR
Nichijew
KR
jlynneda63

Nichijew

Thanks for the correction. I heard of the name, but didn't realize that Nichikan went as far back as the 17th century. Is there a rhyme or reason to why they would use a Nichikan inscribed gohonzon?
Yes. 1). A stupid decision by Ikeda 2). Ikeda's affinity for the heterodox heretical teachings of Nichikan [from a Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhist perspective].

Nichijew

Posted by: TheVoid ()
Date: May 09, 2012 05:58PM

Nichijew
jlynneda63

That pic was taken at Minobu [Nichiren Shu], either within the temple grounds or directly outside. SGI uses a scroll manufacturer, probably not unlike blankwallscrolls.com Not sure if the company is owned by them or they contract out their Gohonzon. Certainly, they are not hand mounted.

Nichijew

The photo is taken in a store at Minobu, but is nothing to do with the Nichiren Shu temple, the Gohonzons they sell aren't Nichiren Shu ones either though they look similar. I went there when I visited Minobu Temple.

All this stuff and nonsense about slander and heretics is just so devisive but then again that seems to be the main aim of religion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.