Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: chirider ()
Date: August 09, 2011 03:02AM

I know sgi has their magazine which they do all of their write-ups and only their members get to read it. There are other Buddhist mags out. The one that I read is called "tricycle" The Buddhist Review. This mag has articles of different types buddhist sects in the mag. This is one of the only time that I can remember (been out for 20 yrs.) that it has a article of Nichiren Buddhism. It is written about a priest, who is a women and of color.

This is article is good for everyone to read she does talk about being a member of NSA/sgi. She DOES NOT slander NSA or sgi as a priest you do not to such a thing. But she does state a great dissatisfaction with NSA/sgi.

Now why did I write about this on this site. The public now in the Buddhist READING Community is now just hearing about sgi, but they have not heard about the discontent in the their organization from their members. There will be people looking for any knowledge about sgi. This is where all of us come in, in the beginning of the mag there a area where you send LETTERS to the editor too. If YOU know how to write and conduct yourself in a non-demeaning way and don't carry a big chip on your shoulder. You might want to drop them a line or give them a story that they can look into.

From what I have been reading on this site there are many of you who could get the point across and still come out smelling like a rose. Just remember stick to the facts and don't act like you have a vendetta against Ikeda or sgi.

I would write something, but since there are writer's on this site who are better with words then I. Here is chance to say or write something that is will help people to think before they join sgi.

Read the article in the Fall 2011 "tricycle" The Buddhist Review. Look in Barnes & Noble book stores under Womens Intrests magazines.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bobze39 ()
Date: August 11, 2011 08:37AM

The way SGI conducted (and continues to conduct) defamation campaign against me was very cynical. Here are just few examples. When I was a graduate student at USC School of Music, many of the teachers at the music department were gay. SGI told everybody that I was homophobic. At that time I lived in Korea Town area of Los Angeles, which was full of immigrants, Mexican and Korean, so SGI told everyone that I was racist. Then I moved to the Valley, Encino to the Jewish community, and, of course SGI spread the rumors in this community that I was anti-Semitic. After September 11th attacks SGI told everyone that I was anti-American. Needless to say that by doing this they hurt not only my reputation, but also other people's feelings. But SGI doesn't care about people - for them end justifies the means. SGI told people im my neighborhood and my coworkers that they were from the "volunteer local threat assessment team" (not the police, just community volunteers trying to make the community safer), and they asked people to be good citizens and to write assessment reports about me. If people refused, SGI kept asking them again and again, they also let people know that by not cooperating they can themselves come under suspicion. Eventually, pretty much everyone gave in to this pressure, and they wrote the assessment reports. SGI selected the negative ones and sent them to my employers (even potential employers). I have not collected enough evidence to make a real law case against them, people who told me this begged me not to reveal their identity out of fear. One police officer actually told me, that there is nothing illegal about trying to make community safer, and this kind of activity is actually protected by Freedom of Speech! "They asked people to write reports about you? And people did? I see nothing illegal here! People can say what they think about you."

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: August 13, 2011 05:08AM

bobze39
The way SGI conducted (and continues to conduct) defamation campaign against me was very cynical. Here are just few examples. When I was a graduate student at USC School of Music, many of the teachers at the music department were gay. SGI told everybody that I was homophobic. At that time I lived in Korea Town area of Los Angeles, which was full of immigrants, Mexican and Korean, so SGI told everyone that I was racist. Then I moved to the Valley, Encino to the Jewish community, and, of course SGI spread the rumors in this community that I was anti-Semitic. After September 11th attacks SGI told everyone that I was anti-American. Needless to say that by doing this they hurt not only my reputation, but also other people's feelings. But SGI doesn't care about people - for them end justifies the means. SGI told people im my neighborhood and my coworkers that they were from the "volunteer local threat assessment team" (not the police, just community volunteers trying to make the community safer), and they asked people to be good citizens and to write assessment reports about me. If people refused, SGI kept asking them again and again, they also let people know that by not cooperating they can themselves come under suspicion. Eventually, pretty much everyone gave in to this pressure, and they wrote the assessment reports. SGI selected the negative ones and sent them to my employers (even potential employers). I have not collected enough evidence to make a real law case against them, people who told me this begged me not to reveal their identity out of fear. One police officer actually told me, that there is nothing illegal about trying to make community safer, and this kind of activity is actually protected by Freedom of Speech! "They asked people to write reports about you? And people did? I see nothing illegal here! People can say what they think about you."

The "volunteer local threat assessment team"???? Good Lord. This is crazy, crazy stuff. The Buddhism I signed on for and have gleaned so much from, has nothing to do with defamation, scare tactics, people launching vendettas and retaliation. Is this what it means to "protect the SGI and Mentor at all costs"?

Posted by: bobze39 ()
Date: August 16, 2011 08:33AM

Is this what it means to "protect the SGI and Mentor at all costs"?

Dear Shavoy, I am going to answer you by quoting Tsukimoto's post on page 27 of this forum:

"I have read on another online forum that I go to, that, these days, SGI is talking less about the evils of Nikken/Nichiren Shoshu -- and more about "traitors" within SGI itself, which is part of the rationale behind the Code of Conduct. Kind of makes sense, in a paranoid, cynical way. Nikken's been retired for years, Nichiren Shoshu pretty much ignores SGI...even SGI can't keep pounding the same drum for twenty years. Harping on "an enemy" is a way that leaders can manipulate followers. Hitler unified the German people by lying about and scapegoating the Jews and the Roma people (gypsies), Joe McCarthy unified Americans against the communist threat...the list goes on and on throughout history. Now, SGI will be sacrificing those members who can ask questions and think for themselves.

Has anyone been keeping up with the news from Japan? The Soka Gakkai's political party, the New Komeito Party has been allied with the party that has the most seats in the Japanese Diet, or parliament. These two parties have lost power, special elections will be held at the end of August, and the opposition party is gaining power. Wonder if SGI's political problems in Japan have anything to do with their paranoia outside of Japan?"

Posted by: Nammy ()
Date: August 18, 2011 07:12AM

From Scooby Dooby "Its tough for me though since the person I have to convince what a sham the organization is just won't listen to reason." Why do you have to convince anybody? People have a mind of their own, and if they are not willing to exercise that mind there is nothing you can do about it. The SGI is not a cult, people are free to leave if they choose. I did. It took a long time for me to decide that I couldn't handle the hypocrisy and the emphasis on Daisaku Ikeda, but in the end I decided to part ways. In fact a member who is still a member encouraged me to do what was right for me. I left a message explaining my reasons online for all to see and arranged to have my Gohonzon returned via another member I trusted and left. I do not regret leaving, but it is hardly a cult.

It does have some serious issues, though, starting with its intolerance of other forms of Budddhism and it's obsession with Daisaku Ikeda. I have friends who are still members. I wish they would learn to think for themselves, but they must decide to live their lives the way they see fit as I have. Some people seem to need a "group" to comfort them. I am too independent-minded for the organization and often spoke up. Nobody ever told me to shut-up, though some members got pushy. I stood strong. If someone is being unduly "influenced" by an organization, that is their choice. I made mine. Let others make theirs.

Posted by: backnforth ()
Date: August 18, 2011 10:44AM

Nammy,

I am curious how long you were a member? It seems your 2nd paragraph has many descriptions of a cult. I used to think differently of a cult like people were completely brainwashed or controlled by a 'crazy' leader of some sort, but that is just what I've seen on TV - but I do see SGI as a cult now. They want me to believe theirs is the only way, other 'competitors' are all wrong and evil and I should only listen to those inside the organization - those are all cult tactics.

I had a Japanese women's division push me out of the room because I was disrupting the unity of the shakabuku activity (in 1985). She was in charge and pairing people up and I didn't want to be paired up with someone I didn't know and she pushed me away and told me to 'leave' . . .. long story . . . . I was convinced to work on my own life to improve my environment . . . and I stuck with the organization for over 25 years.

The big surprise to many after awhile (if they're lucky) is that SGI is not Nichiren's Buddhism the way Nichiren intended. So, many of us have been able to distinguish the difference and discard the bad and keep the good, meaning the Gohonzon and Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. There are plenty of other books on this Buddhism and Independent websites as well.

Posted by: ScoobyDooby ()
Date: August 18, 2011 09:43PM

Nammy
From Scooby Dooby "Its tough for me though since the person I have to convince what a sham the organization is just won't listen to reason." Why do you have to convince anybody? People have a mind of their own, and if they are not willing to exercise that mind there is nothing you can do about it. The SGI is not a cult, people are free to leave if they choose. I did. It took a long time for me to decide that I couldn't handle the hypocrisy and the emphasis on Daisaku Ikeda, but in the end I decided to part ways. In fact a member who is still a member encouraged me to do what was right for me. I left a message explaining my reasons online for all to see and arranged to have my Gohonzon returned via another member I trusted and left. I do not regret leaving, but it is hardly a cult.

It does have some serious issues, though, starting with its intolerance of other forms of Budddhism and it's obsession with Daisaku Ikeda. I have friends who are still members. I wish they would learn to think for themselves, but they must decide to live their lives the way they see fit as I have. Some people seem to need a "group" to comfort them. I am too independent-minded for the organization and often spoke up. Nobody ever told me to shut-up, though some members got pushy. I stood strong. If someone is being unduly "influenced" by an organization, that is their choice. I made mine. Let others make theirs.

Um...that would be your opinion. My opinion (and I've wavered on this for many years) is that the way the organization works is cultish. For me the Ikeda worship alone is evidence. I also think many long time members are so ingrained (call it brainwashed if you wish) in terms of Ikeda's philosophy that they really can't see the forest from the trees.

As far as why I would need to convince anyone is simple: I've recently seen a family torn apart by this organization - I will not let it happen to mine.

Anyhow, I'm glad you've been able to be strong and leave the SGI on your own free will. If you wish to continue to practice Nicherin Buddhism there seem to be honest alternatives out there.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: August 27, 2011 08:12PM

I would agree with ScoobyDooby here ... the personality cult is one of the most obvious signs that SGI is a cult. Another one is the study material, one is heavily discouraged to seek outside sources in terms of Buddhist studies let alone contacting other Buddhist traditions.
Not to forget the 'Them and us' fashion in which SGI speaks extremely ill of other Nichiren schools – its okay to follow ones agenda but not in the way SGI does ... in the end the have been going on about this issue as if they were beating a dead horse anyway.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: September 01, 2011 11:45PM

This news story immediately conjured up an image of you-know-who:

Poet Maya Angelou says a recently unveiled monument to Martin Luther King Jr. is inscribed with a quote taken out of context that makes the preacher seem "arrogant." I was a drum major for justice, peace and righteousness, the inscription reads. "The quote makes Dr. King look like an arrogant twit,” said Angelou. "He was anything but that. He was far too profound a man for that four-letter word to apply." The quote was taken from a sermon King gave shortly before his death, where he imagined what his own eulogy would sound like. "If you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice," King said. "Say that I was a drum major for peace. I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter."

The out-of-context quote sounds exactly like something Ikeda would say, minus the out-of-context part. So I guess I can assume that if Maya Angelou were to hear all of Ikeda’s blabbering, she’d call him an “arrogant twit.” Not too far off the mark in my opinion.

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: September 02, 2011 12:35AM

SGBye
This news story immediately conjured up an image of you-know-who:

Poet Maya Angelou says a recently unveiled monument to Martin Luther King Jr. is inscribed with a quote taken out of context that makes the preacher seem "arrogant." I was a drum major for justice, peace and righteousness, the inscription reads. "The quote makes Dr. King look like an arrogant twit,” said Angelou. "He was anything but that. He was far too profound a man for that four-letter word to apply." The quote was taken from a sermon King gave shortly before his death, where he imagined what his own eulogy would sound like. "If you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice," King said. "Say that I was a drum major for peace. I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter."

The out-of-context quote sounds exactly like something Ikeda would say, minus the out-of-context part. So I guess I can assume that if Maya Angelou were to hear all of Ikeda’s blabbering, she’d call him an “arrogant twit.” Not too far off the mark in my opinion.
"I was THE Drum major for peace" or even "THE ONLY drum major for peace" would more likely be the Ikeda quote.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.