Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: February 15, 2017 09:16AM

This is the completion of my previous post on the LW distortion of scripture to separate us from our families. For some reason part of my previous post wasn't captured probably due to some ineptness on my part.

I wanted to reiterate Invisible's important point on 2/8/17 (quoted in my prior post):

And he [Jesus] said to them: "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions! For Moses said, `Honor your father and your mother,' and, `Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.' But you say that if a man says to his father or mother: `Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is Corban' (that is, a gift devoted to God), then you no longer let him do anything for his father or mother. Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that."
[Mark 10:9-13, NIV; see also Matthew 15:3-6]

Jesus was referring to a way in which the Pharisees had manipulated a legitimate part of God's Law through their teachings so that it allowed people to disobey one of God's most basic commandments: to honor mother and father. Likewise, the LW has manipulated Jesus' teaching on the relationship between children and parents -- which simply taught that we should love God above all others -- into virtually the same error that the Pharisees had committed.

Thanks Invisible for reminding us of the LW's destructive practice of causing division among children and their parents.... "And you do many things like that."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2017 09:31AM by lily rose.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: February 17, 2017 04:41AM

Hello Everyone--

Been reading for some time. Many posts have been a lifeline and the kidding around too. Was in five different churches and walked away after head butting. Like an idiot kept coming back. Was looking for the "greater works." Not to be found. My ah ha time came when told the "greater works" we thought we would do didn't mean raising the dead, resurrection life or eating nails. "Greater works" means conversions. Post TLWF I just wanting to have fun. What's so wrong with that. Haven't thrown out the baby with the bath water. Just threw out G&M, the tapes, CD's, and This Weeks. Will post again.

Date: February 18, 2017 02:55AM

Welcome to the forum NickleandDimed. Fun huh? Sign me up. I just heard a reporters reaction to yesterday's Pres news conf, "All righty, then." Ha. That could be the average reaction to the greater works hype that is fed to the good people in TLWF. "All righty, then."

Date: February 18, 2017 04:20AM

Thank you for the welcome, Lily. When finally walking away for good I was so far gone and needed a definition of fun. Reading horror novels by Stephen King was fun for a while but the beach and boggie boarding felt like being a kid again. I tend to write like nobody is reading so not sure about being a good poster but interested in a therapy benefit from posting.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: February 18, 2017 06:07AM

Welcome 5&10. You posts are most welcome.

I remember the LW saying "the kingdom of god is relationships"

But the relationships I witnessed in the LW were based on conditional love at best. Lip service to G&M were all that mattered. That was a kingdom I could do without.

Glad you found freedom. Ain't it great?

Date: February 19, 2017 03:02AM

Thank you for the welcome, puddington. Agreed, lip service to G&M were all that mattered and finding freedom eliminates all of that. Free at last of feeling failure for not reaching whatever G&M expected, as if G&M ever reached it. Can't make up for all the years stolen, but can make up for some of them by forgetting the disillusionment.

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: February 19, 2017 03:15AM

puddington wrote: “Glad you found freedom. Ain't it great?”

--------

It’s great ---- no dictators!!!

Date: February 19, 2017 10:03AM

FCSLS--To think and read other posts in this forum on this re growing up in the land of the free and then ending up submitting to cult dictators doesn't make sense but then it does if you knew John and G&M. Anyone new to the forum ever wonder what to post. Read a number of opinions about obsessing, moving on, healing, saving, sorting it out but didn't find what I was looking for. I am here due to the death of those who were supports. Having contact with people who had the same experience has a benefit. BTW, doubt I'll ever move on but that's okay.

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: February 20, 2017 02:12AM

NickelandDimed wrote in part:

“I am here due to the death of those who were supports.”

and

“Having contact with people who had the same experience has a benefit.”

----------

It’s 280392+ views beneficial. The following is sometimes a good “default quote” when there isn’t much to say:

Thomas Carlyle --- “Under all speech that is good for anything, there lies a silence that is better. Silence is as deep as eternity; speech is shallow as time.”

Date: February 20, 2017 05:55AM

I like that Carlyle quote FCSLC. According to Wikipeid, Carlyle had a respect for restraint in speech until "thought has silently matured itself...to hold one's tongue till some meaning lie behind it to set it wagging."

After leaving, the LW conditioning to follow the leadership and never question or dissent can run very deep for many years but this forum goes to show that those who dare to question or dissent by posting have regained their independent thought and that in itself can set their tongues wagging.

Remember the song "Sounds of Silence." Simon and Garfunkle got credit for it but it was written by Jim Beach who grew up in the Walk. Musicians often have ghost writers. If you goggle and read the lyrics it seems to me only someone indoctrinated by the Walk could have written it. Nonetheless, the song has many interpretations. My interpretation is that the song is Beach's unconscious speaking: "And no one dared disturb the sound of silence" (the silence expected of the congregation--don't question the leadership). Or "Silence like a cancer grows" (The prohibition on questioning or challenging was taking over the congregation like a disease, a cancer).

Anyway, I said all that to get to NickleandDimed's question regarding what to post. Try venting. Some vent aggressively while others less aggressive. It doesn't matter. I find that recognizing and posting the way the LW manipulates the scripture to gain control over the congregation helps to relieve those pestering feelings about betrayal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.