Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: January 22, 2015 12:01PM

Welcome Molly and thanks for sharing your story. I am so happy for you that you got out in 1981 even though like many of us you may have felt like you got hit by a semi truck and went sideways for many years. I loved Francis and loved that he was outspoken about what he believed. In my biological family I too was considered a black sheep because of my involvement in the Walk. That's probably my deepest regret, that my involvement in the Walk grieved my family.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: molly ()
Date: January 22, 2015 12:52PM

changedagain,Did!u live with Ed and Dotty also, wow if so what a crazy coincidence,by 1978 I was living in Renoldsburg. Did u live in Redmond? so!life goes on Right?I think i'm in shock and dont no what to say. I loved being in the church when I was there! I worked!in the tape room recording services, worked in all the businesses, learned alot of different skills. of course did my share of gardening and canning too! I have so many memories,as we all do! Where does anyone go to church now! nothing is that intense! I LOVED THE WORSHIP, IT HEALED MY BROKEN SPIRIT.I will look forward to reading these posts, i need to take notes and add to, not take away from your topics! thanky again for being here.

Date: January 22, 2015 01:05PM

lllyrose,not sure that is correct! but Hi, Yes I have fun memories of Francis, he was the jingle man! I got to visit his church and meet family, gosh it was so long ago, I remember he had a sweet little girl. How r u doing in life? not many people know what I went thru, I just wish my church would not have crashed like it did,!maybe I was lucky! I did see Gary and Marilyn online!!I just don't get it? I kinda missed that! It was being talked abt. It's over and done for me,can't go back. I have no bitterness in fact I am so thankfull for that part of my life. OK ENOUGH ABOUT ME! LATE HERE,!NITE

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 22, 2015 11:28PM

Molly:

Are you aware that the group you have such fond memories of hurt many people and was considered a destructive cult?

The Walk has a deeply troubled history that you seem to have blocked out of your mind and/or chosen to overlook.

See [www.culteducation.com]

These are some basic "Warning Signs" that might help you to better understand why so many people were hurt by The Walk and why so many left feeling it was a cult and potentially unsafe group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 11:31PM by rrmoderator.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: January 23, 2015 12:26AM

FCSLC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dbc wrote: “On another note - lots of talk
> about John Miller. He led the APCO team that set
> me outside of the fellowship. I was "an enemy of
> the church" and furthermore "would never be a
> successful member" - I would "drift from little
> movement to little movement" for a year or two at
> a time for the rest of my life.”
>
> -------------------------
>
> Thanks dbc for the Miller info. Miller was like
> best buddies with the controlling shepherd in Salt
> Lake City. It’s all beginning to make more
> sense now. I never could understand why there was
> so much going on that wasn’t God. Honesty,
> sincerity and love for God meant nothing to these
> people. It was all about who would be a “yes
> man” for the shepherd’s personal ministry; who
> would be a follower (flatterer) that they could
> count on.

Exactly FCSLC--pure corruption.
BTW, any approach to the local churches at that time would have to be approved by Gary Hargrave, who ran Com West. Any loose canon, acting on their own volition, would be removed from the ministry. That would include Miller, who likely was more zealous than all the others in carrying out directives.

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: January 23, 2015 01:40AM

Thank you changedagain: Being rejected right from the top (of the church, not heaven) is good; no loose ends so to speak.

Thank you moderator. This is a delicate situation and your above professional input is a relief to me.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: January 23, 2015 03:03PM

On Fact-net I recall folks who only had positive things to say about their time in the Walk prior to 1983. For them it was a great experience and they didn't see it as a cult or knew that people were hurt.

I think that among the 100 some LW churches that existed prior to JRS's passing there were some that didn't strictly follow some of the negative APCO protocols and perhaps that was the kind of church that Molly attended. I say that because I knew of a small church in the mid 70's in which a fellow told the pastor he wanted to leave the fellowship because he didn't believe all the doctrine. At an upcoming service, the pastor announced that the fellow decided to leave the church and everyone gave the fellow a hug and wished him well and the fellow walked out of the church without being shunned or disrespected. That may have not been the norm but it went down that way in that church.

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: January 23, 2015 10:20PM

I agree with you Lilly. And Molly, please keep talking. Your perspective is quite interesting. You must have been in a church that had less of the cultic practises going on.

Date: January 24, 2015 02:28AM

there are perhaps reasons I needed this church when It was my walk!, yes I have some horrible memories as well but many good. but my church folded I think due to the changes and I am thankful I wasn't there to witness the marriage of Gary and Marilyn,I felt it was so wrong for him to leave his wonderful wige Donna.My paster from Oregon left his wife also, Not Forbes but Shaw. My childhood had no structure, I was deeply into drugs and so this fellowship healed alot and taught me what a real family could be, living with Ed and Dotty was hard yet it opened my eyes to family and love. I do need to read all of these previous posts. work and family take alot of time, but I am so thankfull for this group! I worked for nothing in all the church businesses and they would refuse to give me gas money, now that's funny when I think back on it. ok not funny really, I was used beyond belief, but I just did it..So how long does it take a post to be approved? and mediater I apologize to you for whatever it was I said to offend you or the group!

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 24, 2015 02:39AM

Molly:

I am not offended, just wondering where you are at regarding posting here.

The Walk is a historical group that has often been called a "cult."

Some people float from group to group never really realizing what went wrong and why.

Again, see [www.culteducation.com]

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.

1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

9. The group/leader is always right.

10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader.

1. Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

2. Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.
3. Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

4. Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.

5. Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.

6. Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.

7. A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.

8. Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.

9. Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.

10. Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.

Ten signs of a safe group/leader.

1. A safe group/leader will answer your questions without becoming judgmental and punitive.

2. A safe group/leader will disclose information such as finances and often offer an independently audited financial statement regarding budget and expenses. Safe groups and leaders will tell you more than you want to know.

3. A safe group/leader is often democratic, sharing decision making and encouraging accountability and oversight.

4. A safe group/leader may have disgruntled former followers, but will not vilify, excommunicate and forbid others from associating with them.

5. A safe group/leader will not have a paper trail of overwhelmingly negative records, books, articles and statements about them.

6. A safe group/leader will encourage family communication, community interaction and existing friendships and not feel threatened.

7. A safe group/leader will recognize reasonable boundaries and limitations when dealing with others.

8. A safe group/leader will encourage critical thinking, individual autonomy and feelings of self-esteem.

9. A safe group/leader will admit failings and mistakes and accept constructive criticism and advice.

10. A safe group/leader will not be the only source of knowledge and learning excluding everyone else, but value dialogue and the free exchange of ideas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.