Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: February 29, 2024 12:20AM

The connection between idolizing a dishonest, ego-driven leader and normalizing the use of violence against his perceived enemies. That would include his first wife, of course.

Posted by: Lilith
Date: October 03, 2023 04:23AM

That was quite an eye-opening episode. The violence against JRS's wife Martha at the time described in her divorce filing was horrible, and the death prayers which if there had been talk about his violence against her would have been explained away as "battle" and accepted by the congregation at the time. The lifting basically word for word of the text "Cut Gems" and selling it as his own literally a cornerstone of what the Walk was built on was a stunning discovery. We have been hearing for years about his plagiarism and the "borrowing" from other movements but here it is in black and white. JRS never had a "revelation" of anything in his life. He was a charlatan, a thief of works, and a thief of lives. Human life is so very short it is tragic how many gave decades of their lives, how many children's entire childhoods wasted and young adult lives to this scheming con man and the people that picked up and continued the con after his death. If this doesn't peel those remaining in thrall away then there is no hope for them. They will stay until they die in the lie.

Reep wrote:
Excellent new YouTube video from Scott Barker and Charity Navalesi. Lots of historical evidence. I'm still watching and I'm blown away.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2024 12:22AM by changedagain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: February 29, 2024 03:04AM

Changed wrote:

The connection between idolizing a dishonest, ego-driven leader and normalizing the use of violence against his perceived enemies. That would include his first wife, of course.

Posted by: Lilith
Date: October 03, 2023 04:23AM

That was quite an eye-opening episode. The violence against JRS's wife Martha at the time described in her divorce filing was horrible, and the death prayers which if there had been talk about his violence against her would have been explained away as "battle" and accepted by the congregation at the time. The lifting basically word for word of the text "Cut Gems" and selling it as his own literally a cornerstone of what the Walk was built on was a stunning discovery. We have been hearing for years about his plagiarism and the "borrowing" from other movements but here it is in black and white. JRS never had a "revelation" of anything in his life. He was a charlatan, a thief of works, and a thief of lives. Human life is so very short it is tragic how many gave decades of their lives, how many children's entire childhoods wasted and young adult lives to this scheming con man and the people that picked up and continued the con after his death. If this doesn't peel those remaining in thrall away then there is no hope for them. They will stay until they die in the lie.

[youtu.be]

I was part of JRS' family during the time period that this violence would have occurred, but I never heard about anything remotely resembling this treatment of Martha Stevens. This is so sad. In fact, I had not heard this particular piece of information until the "Oops! I'm in a cult" episode aired. This was carefully hidden from church members. Makes sense, though. After all, John Robert Stevens had apparently been praying for his wife to die since 1962 or before. The "Apostle to the Kingdom"? Feeling extremely disgusted thinking about this! : (

Date: March 04, 2024 05:51AM

‘We Are Being Punished for Daring to Criticize the Authority’

[www.theatlantic.com]

Date: March 15, 2024 03:10AM

A good friend of mine sent this clip to me today (link below). I think it is worth a listen. Again, the moderator can remove it if he considers it's too political for this forum:

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2024 03:24AM by changedagain.

Date: March 19, 2024 03:37AM

These are perhaps the most unruly tourists I've ever seen:

[twitter.com]

"I'll tell you when you get too radical"
-JRS
(paraphrased)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2024 03:41AM by changedagain.

Date: March 19, 2024 03:55AM

Emulating Kim Jong-Un.

[twitter.com]

Note: again, the moderator can remove whatever content I post in this forum that he considers off-topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2024 03:57AM by changedagain.

Date: March 20, 2024 12:41AM

Philip Agre and his prediction:

[wapo.st]

Date: March 20, 2024 08:36PM

Timothy Snyder, American historian:

[open.substack.com]

Date: March 20, 2024 09:40PM

Any individual demanding complete control over other people's lives must be thwarted. There's no quality of life without the presence of a functioning system of check & balances, which prevent wannabe tyrants from fulfilling their selfish ambition at the expense of nearly everyone else.

Posted by: Reepicheep
Date: May 17, 2019 07:43AM

larry bobo wrote:
I believe in most local churches, Marilyn’s name was substituted for God’s in worship songs – while Gary was married to her. Many remember the service where leaders were asked to pledge their allegiance to and spiritually marry Marilyn - quite weird! You can’t have a higher position than to want to be worshiped as God. For Gary to try and distance himself from the hierarchy is ludicrous. He controls everything and yet seems to not want to take responsibility for anything.
Anyone who has ever served on a church corporation knows you served only as a figurehead. Gary and Marilyn made all the decisions.

Under Gary and Marilyn, the absolute control of churches and congregants skyrocketed, both legally and in essence. I also remember pastors having us substitute Marilyn's name for "the Lord" in worship. Although deep down, people may have been shocked by this, to disagree publicly or even privately to a shepherd would have amounted to spiritual suicide. They had the power to tear from a person everything they held dear; children, family, friends, community and sense of belonging. Those who disagreed would have feigned agreement in order to avoid losing their entire world.

Date: March 21, 2024 09:28PM

Arthur Brooks, The Atlantic:

[www.theatlantic.com]

(not sure if this is the best approach toward sociopaths, though--who use 'openness' to gain leverage)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2024 09:40PM by changedagain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.