Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: January 03, 2024 12:43AM

Looking through parent workbooks at Shiloh Learning. [www.shilohlearning.org]

Someone please rescue me from this deep dive!

Anyway, one of the contributors listed is this person/organization.

[kingdomlifeoc.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2024 12:44AM by Reepicheep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 03, 2024 01:12AM

Changed wrote:

...Hey parents, stay away from anything that involves Gary Hargrave. Protect your children's lives--it's your responsibility.

Thanks Reep for issuing this warning.

“Shiloh Learning offers resources for the restoring of education to its biblical roots – which we believe are in keeping with sound educational research for the wholeness and well-being of students, families and communities."

Good advice, Changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2024 01:14AM by Reepicheep.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: January 03, 2024 06:54AM

Finding Sanity in 2024:
(Making Sense podcast)

[youtu.be]

Date: January 05, 2024 09:15AM

A few posts from June-July of 2018.

Posted by: changedagain
Date: June 30, 2018 05:53PM

FCSLC Wrote:
The warnings and threats are what we hated the
most.

If you removed the element of fear, how many people would have remained in TLWF?
The fear of losing protection from the mob boss in the sky, if nothing else, keeps people in line.

Posted by: GoingRogue
Date: July 01, 2018 06:45AM

Inquiry is human; blind obedience brutal. Truth never loses by the one but often suffers by the other.

William Penn

Posted by: Onion
Date: July 01, 2018 08:35AM

I don't imagine a death march at TLWF/Iowa when there is such a "lust" for life, sex, money and the finer things in life. The fear is probably more of a tool to obtain willing participants and take everything they own of value including their will and their bodies.

Posted by: puddington
Date: July 01, 2018 10:56AM

I suspect you’re correct. Gary wouldn’t want to kill off his cash cow.

Posted by: GSchaeff
Date: July 01, 2018 12:59PM

I very much agree with the cash cow analogy. I think that Gary cycles into periods of intense submission to keep people insecure and dependent on his uplifting, yet insidiously destructive message.

Listening to my old tapes again, it feels like he manufactures things for his followers to feel insecure, guilty, or humiliated about. Look no further than his latest message to the YASP. "You kids have all this free time now, and you're not giving enough of it to God." He dedicates a service to the kids, and admonishes them in it. That's a textbook example of something you'd see in an abusive relationship. He cycles between guilt and reward like a stick and carrot routine. Actually, you could follow that pattern back through most of his latest messages.

There is intense devotion there though. Being inside, I remember remarking with other members how Jonestown, or scientology, or Hare Krishna were obviously different than us, because they were only mimicking the truth that we knew we had. Looking back, that's not a very good justification.

If TLWF goes down that path, I think there will be warning signs. We'll see things like isolation, and more messages of fear, especially of the "principalities and powers of the outside world." The master plan for Shiloh has already zoned out the land so that they can house almost the entire church population on the grounds. If the satellite churches start converging to Shiloh, I'll be more worried about a Branch Davidian situation. I personally don't think Koresh planned mass suicide, but that paranoia of the outside world sure created a dangerous situation where things went tragically wrong.

Date: July 02, 2018 07:03AM

A good Monday morning to all!
I came across this short, simple quote today, and although it references only journalists, I think it applies to anyone who places themselves at risk to combat the corruptive influence of unchecked power. Enjoy:

"Journalists do vital work to tell stories that must be told and hold power accountable. They’ve earned our respect and our thanks."
-Adam Schiff[

Date: January 07, 2024 09:23PM

The big phony vision:

Date: February 16, 2021 05:30AM

Reep wrote:
I, too, believed all of those things for many years, even after leaving the cult. And finally, I had to begin dealing with my own cognitive dissonance.

Yes, the vision of the Kingdom John supposedly had back in '72, is a big one. Many life decisions were heavily influenced by that "vision." Of course, there was never an acknowledgement by a TLWF authority to the congregation that the story was bogus--at least not that I am aware of.

Posted by: Saw enough
Date: November 17, 2016 01:16PM

Gary has persisted in promoting the vision JRS allegedly had in 1972 seeing 7 years into the Kingdom, even though one of the Blix girls at that time told Gary and Marilyn that she had been with John Stevens that entire day. This was common knowledge among the Living Word Building gossips. It was bad enough that John felt the need to cover for his day-long disappearance with a fantastic story about his vision and being caught up in the spirit so that he lost all track of time. But for Gary and Marilyn to continue to peddle the vision as a selling point for how they are the fulfillment of that prophetic community seems cynical and horrific.

Date: January 09, 2024 08:04AM

It's the thought that counts ;)

Posted by: SunnyFord
Date: August 12, 2019 01:38AM

Road to Damascus Wrote:
Next for years GH and MH sent out birthday
and anniversary cards with a saying for the
year. Soon after her funeral it was announced that
the card would no longer go out, and a statement
in passing was made that not everyone got them,
and some times people who got them one year did
not get one the next, that only those who Marilyn
knew got them.

changedagain wrote:
After I left the fellowship in '98 I did receive a card on my birthday the subsequent two years. If I recall, it just consisted of a simple line, like "Thinking of You." I was tempted to respond to one of the cards with "Please Don't," but couldn't muster the effort. Also, their names were printed on the cards, which didn't exactly convey warmth. I chuckled about it, thinking how counterproductive the cards were in reestablishing a relationship--which never existed in the first place, of course. Perhaps that was the point.

It’s been awhile since I left tlwf... 2003, 2002, 2004...honestly, I don’t really know it was kind of gradually but I received birthday cards for years even though I hadn’t stepped in a tlwf church in years. My family was still in and I was called yearly to ask if I wanted to remain on the phone list. I said yes for a couple of years hoping someone would reach out and call me. But no one ever did. I think that the birthday list was just submitted every year to
G & M because when I finally asked to be taken of the phone list the birthday cards stopped immediately. It was a nice touch getting one but when it was obviously just their printed signatures it felt clinical and detached and made me wonder if they even really knew it was my birthday or if it was just handled by someone.

Date: January 10, 2024 01:31AM

Ah, the birthday cards. The faux assurance telling us that Gary & Marilyn cared for each one individually and us personally. Of course it was a list generated at the local church level and consolidated and mailed out by a "servant" or secretary in Shiloh. Another control tactic, if you ask me.

I have now forgotten when I stopped receiving them. I left in 2008 or 2009. As so many have said, it was a process. I left more or less quietly. But when I started finding out about the sexual abuse of young people and the cover ups, the anger became action. And that's why I write on forums and try my best to support survivors. Thank you to Changedagain, who has used his considerable talent at writing to expose the cult. Thanks for his entertaining sense of humor to keep us more or less sane. And thanks for everyone who contributed to this discussion over the years. We're not done!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2024 01:33AM by Reepicheep.

Date: January 10, 2024 02:30AM

Thanks Reep, and I agree--we're not done.

Date: January 12, 2024 07:32AM

from August of 2020:

Posted by: Reepicheep
Date: August 09, 2020 06:54AM

It's really quite telling that Gary Hargrave, formerly "Apostolic Fathering Ministry" of The Living Word Fellowship, now simply of "Hargrave Ministries", is deleting the comments of his former congregants/slaves as quickly as they are posted. He probably isn't doing that himself. He probably has "people"/slave labor for such things. I hope those slave people are feeling extremely spiritual for deleting the outcry of people silenced for decades. Great job, Gary and his personal goon squad. You should all be SO proud. Block this.

Date: August 09, 2020 07:35AM

Either you are in service to his reputation and ambition, or you are considered an enemy. After a few decades of oppression, I figured I would opt for the freedom that came with being "disobedient." It was a long overdue life-saving decision on my part. May others who are still trapped in the deception of his self-appointed "ministry" come to their senses!

Posted by: kBOY
Date: August 09, 2020 03:13PM

Those who still fawn over the G-man in his current iteration by kissing his ass with favorable comments on his FB pages.

They have included themselves in their own version of a 'rogue's gallery', nothing to be proud of, when one considers the extensive casualty list perpetrated by their 'fathering misery'.

Caveat emptor.

Date: August 09, 2020 10:08AM

The guy has an insatiable need to be praised, and I guess there are enough die-hards willing to provide this service for him, in the name of "Oneness."
Perverse.

Date: August 09, 2020 04:33PM

Changed: Yes, Perverse. Twisted. Greedy. Narcissistic. Doomed to repeat actions of the past over and over again. No anointing. All applicable to the name Gary Hargrave.

Posted by: Lilith
Date: August 11, 2020 05:33AM

It's a new day so that means another new lawsuit and a brand new church for Hargrave. Now the former or perhaps current leadership, we have no way of truly knowing, will being to appear in other discussion fora or perhaps this very forum feigning repentance in search of those that remain loyal. Like all criminals they are not sorry, they are sorry that they got caught. That power is like a drug, they are addicts. And like all criminals the recidivism rate is quite high. The subtle grooming will commence. Tread carefully there are snakes in the grass.

Posted by: puddington
Date: August 11, 2020 09:32AM

Good point Lilith. The timing of all of this is very interesting.

Date: August 14, 2020 01:52PM

Just my opinion but also my hope - the lawsuits should be amended to name Gary as a perpetrator becaue his knowing, willful and reckless disregard for the harm to congregants at the hands of Rick Holbrook and others, is much, much more than mere negligence. It was constant and ongoing and is evidenced by the huge amount of support that was given to Rick Holbrook, including Rick's free access to finances of the churches for his ego-whims-follies. Also evidenced by Rick's appointment to the Boards of Directors and commissioned oversight in L.A. especially regarding the schools where Rick had the authority to decide the amount of wages paid to teachers, etc.

It isn't possible for Gary Hargrave to claim mere negligence or "not knowing."

Date: January 12, 2024 07:55AM

Updated stats:

Comments: 12,539

Page views: 3,631,689

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.