Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: September 04, 2023 07:12AM

Changed wrote:

Not quite the inspirational Labor Day story I hoped to share today. That said, it did end on a positive note, with the author 'Aleutian' having a 'light-bulb moment" that presumably led him to leave the fellowship. It's all good.

Posted by: Aleutian
Date: January 09, 2019 09:12PM

I recently recalled a time I was volunteering working on ¨G and M´s¨ luxury home on Oahu in Hawaii. It was a hot summer day, and I didn´t bring any sunscreen.

I had the nerve to ask for some. After all, I was working for free. Instead of them helping me, they called for their ¨handler¨ at the time to help me. He was quite flustered that I didn´t ask him first and chewed me out, telling me to follow ¨divine order¨.

It was a good light-bulb moment for me. After that I said "F%$K this" haha.

That's a great Labor Day story, Changed. And good for you, Aleutian!

I have one. Sometime in the early nineties, a group from our church was asked to go clean out the pastor's garage. A guy was placed in charge of this project, so he was also sort of like our "handler". Apparently, he had been told not to disturb the occupants of the house, who were some young ladies visiting from Brazil. The pastor and his wife were not there. We all came in this guy's van. So, we were captive for many hours with no bathroom facilities available. But worse, after a few hours, my finger was smashed by a falling object. It hurt pretty badly, so I asked if he could get some ice for me. Apparently, that was a big ask, but eventually he did get me some from the house. In the next few days I had to go to my doctor, who burned a hole in my fingernail and let it bleed to relieve the pressure. Of course, I insisted that this occurred on our property rather than the true location. I had no feeling in that fingertip for about two years. That made it kind of hard to play the piano for services. But I managed as best as I could.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: September 04, 2023 10:31PM

IF YOU ARE GOING TO VOLUNTARILY WORK ON AN OUTSIDE PROJECT FOR VIP CHURCH MINISTRIES, MAKE SURE YOU BRING YOUR OWN SUNSCREEN, DRINKING WATER, PORTA-POTTY, FIRST AID KIT AND PERHAPS A PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT!! IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE, FOLLOW DIVINE ORDER AND TALK ONLY TO THE HANDLER, IF YOU CAN LOCATE HIM. DON'T BOTHER THE OCCUPANTS OF THE HOUSE!! THEY NEED THEIR SLEEP!!!
#FamilySpirit
#NewDay
/s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2023 10:32PM by changedagain.

Date: September 05, 2023 03:58AM

Changed wrote:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO VOLUNTARILY WORK ON AN OUTSIDE PROJECT FOR VIP CHURCH MINISTRIES, MAKE SURE YOU BRING YOUR OWN SUNSCREEN, DRINKING WATER, PORTA-POTTY, FIRST AID KIT AND PERHAPS A PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT!! IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE, FOLLOW DIVINE ORDER AND TALK ONLY TO THE HANDLER, IF YOU CAN LOCATE HIM. DON'T BOTHER THE OCCUPANTS OF THE HOUSE!! THEY NEED THEIR SLEEP!!!
#FamilySpirit
#NewDay
/s

So true, Changed. They should have also notified parents of the same when they filled out registration papers for their kids to attend YASP (Young Adult Summer Program) at Shiloh. Oh, and tack on a disclaimer agreeing that Hargrave Ministries is not responsible for any damage done to your child while drinking alcoholic beverages or being groomed by the ministeries in charge.

Also being sarcastic....

Date: September 05, 2023 04:09AM

I highly recommend this new podcast by Scott Barker and Charity Navalesi on Spotify. In it, they take an in-depth look at Shalom's letter, which were publicly posted on October 25th 2018. Extremely helpful and insightful. Hey, the 5th anniversary is just around the corner!

[spotify.link]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2023 04:10AM by Reepicheep.

Date: September 08, 2023 08:14AM

Approximately four years ago: September 29-30, 2019

Posted by: changedagain
Onion Wrote:
I believe there is a lot more to find and
expose.

On one level we all kind of wish that were not the
case, with many still processing all of the
heartache that has already come thus far. The
disclosures themselves have a PTSD impact on those
who attempt to process the news.

Yes, the combination of becoming aware of the vast extent of wrongdoing by former TLWF leadership and knowing there is a distinct possibility that they will never be held legally accountable for it, is a depressing reality to absorb. And, as you mentioned kBoy, it could easily add to the trauma. In my case, years ago I decided that simply writing truthfully about my experiences in that mess while reading other ex-member's accounts, was worthwhile in itself. It helped lift me out of the doldrums and provided purpose. Yet, we're all wired differently, and what is helpful for one may not work for another.
Of course, we were taught never to prioritize our own personal well-being, and just finding a way to drop that pernicious conditioning is a big step toward "moving forward." Each person's mental and emotional state should be top priority.

p.s. It's been over 20 years since I paid a visit to the "center of the universe," and I haven't missed it.

Posted by: Reepicheep
Trying to remember my last trip to The Center of the Universe...1995 or 1996 or before? Wow, over 20 years for me too.

I'm glad that you have been speaking up for so many years, changedagain. Writing is therapy, but it helps those reading too. ;

There are so many things that would have influenced me greatly to leave TLWF long before I did. I might have left had I known, for instance, about JRS' many affairs and cover-ups, or about G&M's relationship long before the wedding was announced abruptly less than a year after JRS' death. If I had known about Rick and others abusing children and G&M moving heaven and earth to hide it...well, that would have done it for sure.

Hindsight is 20/20, and as has been pointed out many times, no one person knew the whole story except for those named above. If someone had stood in church shouting the truth, would we have believed them? Doubtful. That person would have been quickly gaslighted and ostracized. If a friend came privately to disclose knowledge to me? More likely that I would have believed. The fact is that we were all carefully groomed by narcissistic cult leaders. Knowledge was meticulously hidden from those who couldn't "handle" it (were not loyal enough). We were convinced that we would be worthless without the group and its "apostles".

Yes, the crimes of leaders are now obvious. We have put the puzzle pieces together because brave souls have come forward to tell what they know. Before the internet and social media, this would have been unlikely, if not impossible. The point is, now we know, except for those who are still too brainwashed with fear to read and connect the dots. My hope going forward is that there is punishment for grievous crimes committed by leaders. I hope that those responsible do not benefit monetarily in any way from the closing of churches. I hope that more people who are still trapped wake up and realize that they are valuable as individuals even without the group. Whether people are held legally accountable or not, at least now we have the opportunity to live free from the stranglehold under which we suffered for so many years.

Reep wrote:
I hope that those responsible do not benefit monetarily in any way from the closing of churches.

And yet we still do not know who would personally benefit from the sale of Shiloh property...which is yet another indication of the lack of transparency of former TLWF leaders. Meanwhile, people in the local churches were required to document just about everything within their church, reporting back to leadership via the annual "Fred and Ethel" books." This would include, of course, the number of paper clips the church owned. Double standards anyone? That said, perhaps this approach is backed by scripture. Remember when Jesus said he had many more things to tell the disciples but they were not able to bear them? (John 16:12) Maybe the rank and file would become irate after finding out their donations were used not as they intended, but to support the lavish lifestyles of a very few. And no matter how many times they prayed to God about it, they were not able to get a "revelation" that this was acceptable. They might choose to leave the fellowship after this disclosure!

Date: September 08, 2023 09:48AM

A few more:

Date: September 30, 2019 11:15AM

I doubt there was even one person in Walk/TLWF history that openly disagreed with John or G & M and retained any respect or standing within the church. Can anyone point to an example? If not, that shows how ludicrous the concept of confirmation was within the fellowship...at least when applying it to top leaders.
David Boney constraining G & M as their 'designated relationship'? Please

Date: September 30, 2019 12:19PM

And JRS used to say that he didn't want a bunch of "yes men". ROFL

And anyone who didn't believe him is a dirty, rotten nephilim!

/s

Date: September 12, 2023 11:26AM

Well, another Oops! I'm In A Cult podcast is up on Spotify. Thank you to Scott Barker and Charity Navalesi for doing these excellent deep dives into the effects that The Living Word Fellowship cult had on member's lives. This one is about another younger person, 3rd gen Titus Walker. It's called "Bad Boy Boot Camp". I highly recommend listening.

[open.spotify.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2023 11:27AM by Reepicheep.

Date: September 12, 2023 11:53AM

You will need to pay for room and board, but then you get to work for free.
It's a win-win!
(just started listening)

Reepicheep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, another Oops! I'm In A Cult podcast is up on
> Spotify. Thank you to Scott Barker and Charity
> Navalesi for doing these excellent deep dives into
> the effects that The Living Word Fellowship cult
> had on member's lives. This one is about another
> younger person, 3rd gen Titus Walker. It's called
> "Bad Boy Boot Camp". I highly recommend listening.
>
> [open.spotify.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2023 11:54AM by changedagain.

Date: September 12, 2023 11:42PM

Changed wrote:

You will need to pay for room and board, but then you get to work for free.
It's a win-win!
(just started listening)

Yes. And that was just the beginning. It becomes tragic as you get into it.

Date: September 14, 2023 12:49AM

You need to start drinking more!
#WordFromGod

Posted by: that little red flag
Date: January 06, 2020 08:56AM

CHANGEAGAIN:

I think the main reason I was apprehensive about the level of intoxication within the ranks of 'ministries,' is that they were often assuming a role of managing (to put it lightly) people's lives. I've witnessed and also received truly bizarre directives from obviously drunk authorities. Yes, I suppose there might have been a few that could be reasonably functional while 'wasted,' but I think they were the exception. I think John set the tone in the 70's by admonishing the church about the toxicity of having an uptight 'religious spirit,' often citing the scripture about the Pharisees rebuking Jesus for being a 'winebibber.'

p.s. In spite of all this, I did try to show a modicum of respect for the 'Apostolic company,' never (to my knowledge) referring to them as the 'Alcoholic company'--just for the record.

I think I've mentioned this before, but my DR actually told me I needed to start drinking more. (Disclaimer: I actually do like a number of drinks but my stomach does not, per two ulcers acquired in my early 20's - probably brought on by the communal home I lived in!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2023 12:51AM by changedagain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.