Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: November 20, 2020 10:38PM

R E E P

"I have begun to view my years in The Walk/TLWF as helpful in understanding the current political climate." I am HAPPY you found at least one silver-lining in it all.

Many of us now can smell a cult like a hound dog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 20, 2020 10:53PM

S O U T H C H I

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That is how history has played out, because we ventured away from HEAVEN in a desire to make ourself someone 'special'--and be the center of attention.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 11:10PM by kBOY.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: November 21, 2020 03:04AM

Posted by: fromsouthchicago ()
Date: November 19, 2020 11:43PM

If you want to know the truth, I called Marilyn "evil" in the flesh. Along with variety of other choice descriptions.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand what it was that resulted her being so twisted and power hungry. And her off-spring, Rick, my first cousin once removed. What turned him into such a monster? Was it just because he's Marilyn's son or something more? Absolute power corrupts absolutely? Or is there something more to consider?

I'll probably never have a complete understanding, but I am attempting to get my head around what made them what they were and are.
If you want to know the truth, I called Marilyn "evil" in the flesh. Along with variety of other choice descriptions.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand what it was that resulted her being so twisted and power hungry. And her off-spring, Rick, my first cousin once removed. What turned him into such a monster? Was it just because he's Marilyn's son or something more? Absolute power corrupts absolutely? Or is there something more to consider?

I'll probably never have a complete understanding, but I am attempting to get my head around what made them what they were and are.

fromsouthchicago,

I knew Marilyn since I was a teenager in the late 1960s. Her children were still in school at that time, as was I. I noticed way back then that she had a snotty side and that she was often around JRS. At the time I chalked it up to her "secretary" status. Over the years, the haughtiness became much more pronounced. Luckily I managed to steer clear most of the time. I do remember that a few times in the 1990s in the local church I attended we were instructed to substitute Marilyn's name instead of "Lord" in a worship song. I felt very weird about that. Gary and Marilyn were teaching something about God in the sky vs God in your face. So to prove that we believed in "Christ in the flesh", we were supposed to use her name in the song. If you dared to speak up and voice your concern, you would risk losing your family, your friends, and your entire social support system. It was get with the program or get out. Effing cult.

Date: November 21, 2020 07:18AM

R E E P

When one is in a cult, the last thing one studies are 'cults'.

For that matter, when one is in a Christian cult, the last thing one reads is the Bible, except for a devout few.

We were fully indoctrinated with JRS' emphasis (then G&M's guilt-trip), attending a ridiculous number of services for those in the L.A. area, along with listening to cassettes and CDs, reading ThisWEEKS, and attending feasts, SOP conferences, etc.

In retrospect, it is a little easier now to identify specific scriptures that were 'faves', and ones that were aggressively avoided like, 'Call no man Father'. O O P S !

Like I mentioned previously, some of us can now smell a cult like a hound dog.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: November 21, 2020 12:50PM

Date: November 20, 2020 05:18PM

R E E P

When one is in a cult, the last thing one studies are 'cults'.

For that matter, when one is in a Christian cult, the last thing one reads is the Bible, except for a devout few.

We were fully indoctrinated with JRS' emphasis (then G&M's guilt-trip), attending a ridiculous number of services for those in the L.A. area, along with listening to cassettes and CDs, reading ThisWEEKS, and attending feasts, SOP conferences, etc.

In retrospect, it is a little easier now to identify specific scriptures that were 'faves', and ones that were aggressively avoided like, 'Call no man Father'. O O P S !

Like I mentioned previously, some of us can now smell a cult like a hound dog.

True, kBOY. One of the first things I was told by an elder was "Do not drink from many fountains." There was only one acceptable source of knowledge: JRS.

By the time he was gone (and we were all blamed for his death) I was so shattered and demoralized that I could not trust myself to make a good decision. But that was the idea, wasn't it? The narcissists at the top of the pyramid (and clawing to stay there) made sure that we were so busy and so tired and so insecure and so preoccupied trying to follow weird diets, etc. that we wouldn't have the wherewithal to question.

You're right about being able to see the signs of a cult a mile away. Like I said, that sixth sense comes in handy right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2020 12:52PM by Reepicheep.

Date: November 21, 2020 11:25PM

R E E P

"I could not trust myself to make a good decision."

This is just one more unfortunate consequence of groupthink, brainwashing, and mind-control, that effectively undermines autonomy and surrenders it to another. There are those who have come forward to share that this has impeded their decision-making skills for many years.

The broad range of injuries inflicted by a cult experience, both physical and psychological, are indeed staggering.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: November 22, 2020 12:31AM

A post by Lilith at the beginning of this very long year...responding to Onion and Changed:

Posted by: Lilith
Date: January 04, 2020 01:49AM

Onion Wrote:
"CHHP filed an amendment changing the name of
that corporation to Hargrave Family Ministries -
A Living Word Ministry. That gave them the ability
to take the money paid for the church property
into their HFM account."

changedagain wrote:
"I wonder if long-time members of the Anaheim
church were aware of this, and if it bothered them
that the proceeds from their church were now in
direct control (presumably) of Hargrave
Also, even though TLWF dissolved shortly after the
allegations of sexual misconduct went public
(Shalom's letter), was it even a legal entity to
begin with? If not, was the announcement of its
dissolution simply to give the impression that
corrective measures were being taken to end
abuse--like the commissioning of an 'independent
investigation,' which is still ongoing
(apparently)."

Yes, aware and yes, bothered. I have also become aware that those that have left and are speaking out are now referred to as Judas and Proverbs 11:9 by those remaining. I am left wondering precisely what they think we hope to gain by speaking out because we are most certainly not gaining financially. If anything those speaking out have lost friends, family and quite literally years of their lives. My suggestion would be for them to turn those pointing fingers right back at themselves because they are harboring criminals and collaborators and they are cowards. And as far as the remaining churches reconstituting I hope that they realize that they are building on a foundation of disease and perversion, a shaky foundation at best.

Date: November 22, 2020 03:15AM

C H A N G E D

Unfortunately, we will probably be in our graves long before those who are 'spellbound' have their rude awakening, from both religious and political black holes.

A quote attributed to Mark Twain, wisely perceived, "It is easier to fool a 'wo/man', than it is to convince 'he/she' has been fooled". (Gender modifications by poster.)

Date: November 25, 2020 10:56PM

I am thankful for everyone who has contributed to this forum through the years, sharing their personal stories--even those who back in day may have inadvertently "killed John" or "violated Marilyn's spirit." In retrospect, it was probably a good thing. ;)
Anyway, have a pleasant Thanksgiving and stay safe!

Date: November 26, 2020 04:50AM

enriching themselves at the expense of a nonprofit entity

Gosh--how unusual!
/s

Washington Post (today):
"After years of denying allegations of lax financial oversight, the National Rifle Association has made a stunning declaration in a new tax filing: Current and former executives used the nonprofit group’s money for personal benefit and enrichment.

The NRA said in the filing that it continues to review the alleged abuse of funds, as the tax-exempt organization curtails services and runs up multimillion-dollar legal bills. The assertion of impropriety comes four months after the attorney general of New York state filed a lawsuit accusing NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre and other top officials of using NRA funds for decades to provide inflated salaries and expense accounts.

The tax return, which The Washington Post obtained from the organization, says the NRA “became aware during 2019 of a significant diversion of its assets.” The 2019 filing states that LaPierre and five former officials received “excess benefits,” a term the IRS uses when officials have enriched themselves at the expense of a nonprofit entity."

Headline:
'NRA reports alleged misspending by current and former executives to IRS'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.