Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: GoingRogue ()
Date: May 03, 2018 03:09AM

Changed Again, are you saying that your APCO friend believed the rumor? Or that he did not believe the rumor?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: May 03, 2018 04:03AM

GoingRogue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Changed Again, are you saying that your APCO
> friend believed the rumor? Or that he did not
> believe the rumor?

He said it was true...that he heard it directly from Marilyn.

Date: May 03, 2018 04:13AM

GoingRogue Wrote:

> I have heard several people in the LW make the
> following statement over the years, "I don't know
> if (fill in cult leader's name) is right or wong,
> but I would gladly follow them into hell if they
> are wrong." That's an astonishing amount of power
> to give a supposed Christian leader. Freeing
> yourself from such strong control and delusion
> isn't easy and can be a long process.

True

Posted by: GoingRogue ()
Date: May 03, 2018 04:21AM

I was never sure about the fathering a child rumor. I have to admit, that's disgusting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 04:22AM by GoingRogue.

Date: May 03, 2018 04:58AM

I didn't hear it directly from Marilyn, so I suppose for the purpose of this forum, it should continue to be regarded as rumor.
That said, the leadership of the Walk/TLWF hasn't proven itself to be upfront about its human foibles. Just bringing it up here would likely bring accusations from apologists of me possessing a Pharisaical nature :)

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: May 03, 2018 05:46AM

Nickel, PM sent.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: May 03, 2018 11:56AM

GoingRogue Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
I was never sure about the fathering a child rumor. I have to admit, that's disgusting.

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't hear it directly from Marilyn, so I
> suppose for the purpose of this forum, it should
> continue to be regarded as rumor.
> That said, the leadership of the Walk/TLWF hasn't
> proven itself to be upfront about its human
> foibles. Just bringing it up here would likely
> bring accusations from apologists of me possessing
> a Pharisaical nature :)

This conversation is needed. I don't think it's Pharisaical to go public with scandals. Spiritual and sexual abuse can occur anywhere there is a hierarchy of power that can be exploited. IMO openness about this scandal helps to dispel the final unchecked adoration, idolization and worship of JRS as the all knowing man of God and Apostle to the Kingdom who allowed sexual abuse to take place and then cover it up. That may be one reason why GoingRogue found it disgusting. If JRS truly was a man of God, he would have openly confessed to the members and resigned. Of course the apologist will say he wasn't perfect and should be forgiven. That's true. But he covered it up and continued his phony charade of being the door opener to the Kingdom that harmed so many and all the while fed off of the adoration of the members who served him with all of their hearts. I hope this conversation is just the beginning of people coming forward with what they know.

Posted by: GSchaeff ()
Date: May 03, 2018 08:19PM

That's true but it is also important to be considerate to the woman and her son. If it were me, I wouldn't want it blasted out in public that my father is actually my church pastor.
It would be very beneficial to a lot of people if he did come forward, but demanding he does almost doesn't seem right. This church has a sad history of demonizing women as it is. She would certainly be called a 'jezebel' and likely a number of other derogatory terms. I disagree with that entirely. I view any woman JRS slept with out of wedlock as a victim. He was their spiritual mentor and a father figure. JRS cultivated a loyalty and devotion in his followers that gave him real authority, influence, and pressure over their lives. If he wanted someone to pick up and move, they moved. Drop a college course, they did. Marry someone, it was done. To take that trust and devotion and use it for one's own sexual pleasure is absolute exploitation.

In a way, this extends to Marilyn.
Even if Marilyn went on to exploit congregants herself, she began as his secretary. I've seen a lot of theories about how she used her job as secretary to slither up and manipulate JRS. That's complete bullshit to me. JRS has a personal responsibility not to sleep with his secretary, simple as that. This isn't original sin--it's a rich CEO sleeping with someone he has a whole lot of power over.
Finally, as with any CEO, if JRS had an affair with his secretary-- which we know to be true--it's very unlikely it stopped there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 08:25PM by GSchaeff.

Date: May 03, 2018 10:14PM

GSchaeff Wrote:

>
> In a way, this extends to Marilyn.
> Even if Marilyn went on to exploit congregants
> herself, she began as his secretary. I've seen a
> lot of theories about how she used her job as
> secretary to slither up and manipulate JRS. That's
> complete bullshit to me. JRS has a personal
> responsibility not to sleep with his secretary,
> simple as that. This isn't original sin--it's a
> rich CEO sleeping with someone he has a whole lot
> of power over.
> Finally, as with any CEO, if JRS had an affair
> with his secretary-- which we know to be
> true--it's very unlikely it stopped there.

She certainly was exploited. On the other hand, once she assumed power, I experienced first-hand her vicious, take no prisoners approach to wielding authority. Besides calling me a piss ant, and then at a later time instructing my wife to "kill me" during the whole 'end the male spirit' phase of TLWF, made be a bit jaded to the notion of unchecked authority--male or female. I suppose if I didn't have a tendency to make cutting comments about the hypocrisy of TLWF leadership (that got back to her), I could have been spared some of this. Oh well.

Posted by: GSchaeff ()
Date: May 03, 2018 10:25PM

@changedagain,exactly. This doesn't absolve Marilyn of any wrongs she committed against people under her later in life, and there are many.
JRS just doesn't deserve any excuses here, like "Oh this beautiful woman [that I had immense financial and emotional control over] came onto me and I couldn't resist her so I cheated on my wife."
If JRS were a manager under me sleeping with his secretary I'd fire him in a goddamn instant. It's an abuse of power.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.