Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: rond ()
Date: May 01, 2017 10:24PM

slandjt said, I'm sorry Larry, but I don't appreciate being preached at.

I would like to respectfully echo S's sentiment to the extent that I think it is not necessarily about replacing a religion with a different, or sharper focus on the same religion, but more about finding spirituality. (In Larry's case, that is Jesus and I strongly respect that).

I have traveled the world fairly extensively since leaving the Walk and the most loudly resonating experience I have had is the realization of how (IMHO) misguided those in Christianity are regarding the true path. I have come to believe that the only true path is sincerity of heart and intention. Or stated in the inverse; all paths are true.

Those in other countries such as China find our singular devotion to Christianity a curiosity, though Buddhism embraces the wisdom of Jesus. In fact, they believe the Hindus and Buddhists educated Jesus during his adolescence. So Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Shinto, Islam et al...what about all those people? Literally billions of people on this planet are not Christian. Are they lost souls, relegated to purgatory or hell for eternity?

Mostly, I still wonder if Gary really believes he hears from Marilyn in the Great Beyond. There's a grieving period where that belief is very understandable, but after a time it becomes a form of mental illness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sagehen ()
Date: May 01, 2017 10:31PM

I agree with much of what "larry bobo" posted May 1, 2017, I too had to ask myself why I fell for the hook! Mine took me back to the Charasmatic teachings in the early '60s and led right into what JRS was teaching in the early '70s when we , my late husband and I joined. I also see this is still the focus of many groups still today, that being, "We have more Light than the others"! To me that is deadly, I started getting a true foundation when I dumped all I had heard from anyone except what the Bible's written Word said and and what my spirit confirmed to me was Him.It has been a long journey but I believe that is what God really wants for me, not following what someone else says is "truth"! It has to be a personal choice for me on a daily basis.I had to search my own heart, no one made me fall for the lies, that was my doing. Just my own journey, I can't say what others must travel.

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: May 02, 2017 01:31AM

It is interesting to witness the spiritual diaspora unfold as the LW cult continues to collapse. Each and every ex-member travels a different path. But I think the end point of these various paths is nearly identical. A place of true freedom. A place were we have learned unconditional love. That to me, is the core teaching of Jesus. We'll all get there on these paths as we unprogram ourselves from the cult brain-washing we have been carrying.

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: May 02, 2017 01:35AM

larry bobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Several have mentioned the difficulty they have
> experienced in trying to find another church
> family after leaving TLWF. Many of us have
> carried with us the haunting words of John that
> once we tasted of John’s version of the Kingdom,
> nothing else would ever satisfy us. We would be
> ruined for anything else. I realize that I may be
> in a small minority, but that is simply not true.
> I’ve found a wonderful church family that is
> much healthier than anything I ever experienced in
> TLWF. It certainly is not limited to one church
> either.
>
> Larry took a stab at why posters say they feel they don't fit in church. That's not preaching. Think about if you were in TLWF during the years members were fed the leadership is Christ in the flesh. Larry points out that wasn't Jesus. I appreciate hearing that. If you weren't in the fellowship then. Maybe you just can't relate to what was going in TLWF.

Posted by: NickleandDimed ()
Date: May 02, 2017 02:41AM

rond, you pose a theological question. I don't think anyone is going to take the bait. Theological discussions are against the forum rules. However, my pastor told me this. John believed no one understands how it all works out. But John didn't believe God is sending people to hell after having held them unaccountable unless there was real chance for them to hear the gospel. No one understands how it how works out. BTW, I don't think G-man is mentally ill.

Posted by: larry bobo ()
Date: May 02, 2017 03:01AM

Although I’ve hinted in posts that I’ve been involved in a local church, I’ve deliberately avoided mentioning it because I don’t believe a certain church – including mine - is the answer. It’s a difficult habit to break to begin looking to God instead of a belief system, especially with a background in TLWF. You first have to be free – however that may look. God is big enough to handle any of our spiritual journeys. I know it sounds like a cliché, but I believe our spirituality is a relationship, not a doctrine - both with God and others. Some reading this may be ready to re-establish those relationships in a much healthier way.

I also attend a weekly Socrates meeting with primarily atheists. Some of them are closer friends than those at my church. I happen to value who a person is above any belief system they may currently have. At the same time, I care for those that have been overlooked by the church – including those that are wandering after their time in TLWF. I’ve learned that spending time with the homeless – especially kids - whether in this country or another, opens your eyes and heart to God’s compassion. Doctrines tend to keep you from getting your hands dirty and becoming involved. At some point, I finally got tired of rationalizing why I didn’t have to do what Jesus said about caring for the least of these, and just hopped in and began to help. To my surprise, the lights came on. The directions were there all along – I just couldn’t see them until I was ready to act. Many others have experienced the same thing.

There are plenty of Christians that lack character and plenty of atheists that have character. I think all of our belief systems are in a state of flux if we are growing. I spent 30 very intense years in TLWF, coming away with wanting nothing to do with Jesus, like many others. I also know what it is like to discover that there is much more to a relationship with Him than I was ever taught in TLWF. There is a wonderful life beyond the doctrines of those who have never actually experienced what they are preaching. You don’t just prophesy it, you have to actually do it for it to work. My point in posting a couple of worship songs was not that people would worship the worship – as was so common in TLWF - but that perhaps they would remember their own hunger to know the Lord. The path that many of us detoured from is alive and well. I would not be much of a friend if I did not say so.

"Come, let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds. After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence. Let us acknowledge the Lord; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth."

Posted by: Invisible ()
Date: May 02, 2017 03:35AM

I think I may understand in part ? Slandt ....... your reaction to what Larry posted.

It is the suggestion that there is something wrong with one who is not attending or involved in church today - it is the suggestion that one is yet damaged as a result of past experiences and needs help, so they may become again involved in a church. It is the suggestion that the solution for help may be to go to a psychiatrist. : )

John 10:9, 10 Jesus said, "I am the door, whoever enters through Me will be saved and will come in and go out and find pasture."

What this means to me at this time, is - If I enter, I am not bound or obligated to remain inside.

I'm free to enter thru Him who is the door - to go in and to come out. And I am not sure yet - whether the pasture is outside or inside or both. But one thing I am pretty sure of, is that I am not obligated to join or become personally involved as a member of any church. And I found in the words of Jesus in this Scripture the freedom to not be anchored anywhere or in any one but Him. And if I enter though HIM who is the door - it will be to do no harm.

Let each man work out his own salvation. I respect Larry in the working out of his own salvation and I appreciate his sharing his best finds, with every one. And I can see his heart in what he writes.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: May 02, 2017 04:59AM

I think now is a good time to offer my bruised reed manifesto. Ha

It's not meant to offend or convert any one. It sums up what I went through post the LW. Please, no comments from scoffers.

"A bruised reed He will not break and a smoldering wick He will not snuff out. In faithfulness He will bring forth justice." Isaiah 42:1-3

God won't throw out a flame ready to expire. Not the Rose of Sharon or Cedar of Lebenon of all the plants mentioned in Scripture, possibly the reed was the weakest and fragile and most worthless. One reed in a marshy thicket forest of reeds; if you lean on it...it will break. Like a recluse reeds sought the murky place and grew in oozy marshes where foul air rises. Jesus doesn't despise them. Jesus sets his love upon them. Regarding His Kingdom, He will not proceed by destroying the weak. The bruised reed words of Is 42:1-3 were considered by Matthew as fulfillment in Christ (Matt 12:18-20) the calling of Christ to his office and the manner in which he carries it out. We see the condition of those with whom He was to deal was that they were bruised reeds and smoky flax; not trees, but reeds and not whole, but bruised reeds. It denotes the disheartened whose love for God seems almost ready to expire and the promise that He will not extinguish or quench that means that He would cherish, feed and cultivate it and supply it with oil to rekindle the dying flame.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: May 02, 2017 05:30AM

Nice

Posted by: LampShmamp ()
Date: May 02, 2017 09:33AM

This discussion has been interesting. We have all certainly grown in a plethora of different directions since leaving the walk. It is wonderful that there are so many attitudes and viewpoints represented here, which may be honestly expressed, and are equally valid. And after our collective and individual experiences in a cult, it is great that there is no pressure on those who have broadened their scope to explore philosophies other than Christianity. Of course, we would never subject each other to that sort of pressure, since that would be tantamount to exchanging one cult for another. As the Quran states, “There should be no compulsion where religion is concerned.” (Holy Quran: 2/256). Words to live by, words to live by.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.