Landmark’s Insidious Business Practices
Posted by: Excalibur ()
Date: April 06, 2005 04:12PM

Landmark Education Corporation is despicable from beginning to end. What I find particularly repugnant are their business practices, especially how they trap unsuspecting people into their cult. They use the trust of family, friends and other people in your life to lure you into their meeting centers so they can put the high-pressure sales pitch on you.

This is how they do it: when a family member or friend takes the initial 3 day Landmark seminar, constant pressure is applied on them to “invite” everyone they know to their upcoming “graduation”. And so of course your freshly-programmed friend or family member, i.e. [i:e5ed28e8a9]someone you trust[/i:e5ed28e8a9], invites you and since you know nothing about Landmark you accept.

Now what would someone with even an average level of intelligence expect when he hears the word “graduation”? First and foremost, some kind of ceremony where “graduates” receive a diploma, as well as perhaps food, dancing, music; you know, the kind of event you experienced when you graduated from high school or college.

Let me tell you folks, there’s no diplomas, no ceremony, no food, no music, not even a cup of coffee! When you arrive at the grand ballroom, there is a stage and a blackboard on the stage with Landmark jargon and slogans printed in big letters for all to see. When the proceedings begin, a Landmark leader enters on stage and starts introducing the audience to “graduates” who get up and tell their stories of how Landmark changed their lives, it’s the greatest thing that’s happened to them, blah blah blah blah. This garbage goes on for about an hour, but wait, it gets better – this is only the first half of your evening to remember. In the next phase they haul off all of the “invited guests” into conference rooms, about 20 or so per room, and some leader starts putting the hard sell on you! When the night is finally over you realize you did not attend a graduation. It was more like an infomercial!

Now you may feel that you were tricked or betrayed by the family member or friend who invited you. That would be a big mistake - it’s not their fault; how were they to know? Landmark merely used them to get at you, knowing you’ll trust what they say. Very clever, isn’t it? Also very insidious. And of course Landmark does this to avoid paying for advertising. And don’t forget during all this that Landmark is the group that preaches “integrity”.

Lying to people is bad enough, but doing it by exploiting the trust of someone in your life brings “insidious business practices” to a new level, wouldn’t you say? Congratulations, Landmark, a very profitable “breakthrough” for you![i:e5ed28e8a9][/i:e5ed28e8a9]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kittypaw ()
Date: July 17, 2005 08:36AM

Excalibur
Landmark Education Corporation is despicable from beginning to end. What I find particularly repugnant is their business practices, especially how they trap unsuspecting people into their cult. They use the trust of family, friends and other people in your life to lure you into their meeting centers so they can put the high-pressure sales pitch on you.

This is how they do it: when a family member or friend takes the initial 3 day Landmark seminar, constant pressure is applied on them to “invite” everyone they know to their upcoming “graduation”. And so of course your freshly-programmed friend or family member, i.e. [i:7653b784cf]someone you trust[/i:7653b784cf], invites you and since you know nothing about Landmark you accept.

Now what would someone with even an average level of intelligence expect when he hears the word “graduation”? First and foremost, some kind of ceremony where “graduates” receive a diploma, as well as perhaps food, dancing, music; you know, the kind of event you experienced when you graduated from high school or college.

Let me tell you folks, there’s no diplomas, no ceremony, no food, no music, not even a cup of coffee! When you arrive at the grand ballroom, there is a stage and a blackboard on the stage with Landmark jargon and slogans printed in big letters for all to see. When the proceedings begin, a Landmark leader enters on stage and starts introducing the audience to “graduates” who get up and tell their stories of how Landmark changed their lives, it’s the greatest thing that’s happened to them, blah blah blah blah. This garbage goes on for about an hour, but wait, it gets better – this is only the first half of your evening to remember. In the next phase they haul off all of the “invited guests” into conference rooms, about 20 or so per room, and some leader starts putting the hard sell on you! When the night is finally over you realize you did not attend a graduation. It was more like an infomercial!

Now you may feel that you were tricked or betrayed by the family member or friend who invited you. That would be a big mistake - it’s not their fault; how were they to know? Landmark merely used them to get at you, knowing you’ll trust what they say. Very clever, isn’t it? Also very insidious. And of course Landmark does this to avoid paying for advertising. And don’t forget during all this that Landmark is the group that preaches “integrity”.

Lying to people is bad enough, but doing it by exploiting the trust of someone in your life brings “insidious business practices” to a new level, wouldn’t you say? Congratulations, Landmark, a very profitable “breakthrough” for you![i:7653b784cf][/i:7653b784cf]

Amen, brother!

-Valerie

Posted by: YZFR1 ()
Date: July 20, 2005 11:14AM

Having attended a graduation ceremony, i experience the opposite of what Excalibur wrote. My family told me what to expect, they let me know what would be shared at the start, they also advised that i would be asked to attend a "mini forum" and that i would be asked to join.

I had a choice to say yes or no.

Perhaps your friend should have explained what would occur and what would be asked of you, that way you wouldnt have had any surprises ???

After all life is about choices ?

Its not the fault of Landmark that teh message wasnt delivered :lol:

Posted by: ULTAWARE ()
Date: July 20, 2005 11:25AM

Kudos to you both...

Ex,

Form my perspective with my now ex, you are right on with what I experienced on 'grad'night ...a texas 10 gal hat of BS/hypnotism & "please make your check payable to..."

There really is only one way to stop it...e-mail me,,this has nothing to concern RRoss in...he does quite alot already! thank you RR...

PAX

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 20, 2005 07:52PM

YZFRI:

Seems like you are just here to promote Landmark and/or apologize for them.

Do some research.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Landmark has an awful history of bad press, lawsuits and complaints.

The "graduation" is essentially just their way of pulling people in for a sales job.

Posted by: doe ()
Date: July 21, 2005 05:47AM

I just found this forum and joined because I noticed this thread. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but it freaked me out.

About 12 years ago, I worked with someone who was into Landmark. She talked about it constantly and tried to get me to sign up. I gave in, out of curiosity. At that time, I was using a nickname, because I was a telemarketer and my real name is unusual and hard to spell to people over the phone. That was the only time in my life that I used this nickname.

Anyway, I signed up (using this nickname) and attended the first day of the seminar. What a waste - I walked out after demanding my money back. I've since moved across the country. I haven't seen this friend for probably 10 years, and she has no idea I even moved out of the state.

The other day, I received a postcard from Landmark about events in my area. I thought it was just bulk mail until I noticed it was addressed to the nickname I used 12 years ago!!!!

How in the world did they find me with that name? Talk about shady business practices - do they own Lexis-Nexis or something?

Posted by: Excalibur ()
Date: July 24, 2005 03:47PM

My response to YZFRI:

Quote:"Having attended a graduation ceremony,
i experience the opposite of what Excalibur wrote.
My family told me what to expect, they let me know
what would be shared at the start, they also advised
that i would be asked to attend a "mini forum" and
that i would be asked to join."

I experienced no "mini forum" that evening. Like I said in my original posting, the first half consisted of so-called "graduates" giving glowing testimonials about Landmark, and in the second half we were led to a faraway conference room and a Landmark leader got down to business and hard-selled us. I wonder what part you consider to be a "mini forum"?

Do you not realize what a contradiction you are making here? You experienced this evening of deception for yourself - you know it was not a "graduation" in any true sense of the word - it was nothing more than a hard-sell session - but you continue to call it a "graduation ceremony"?? Please tell me how anyone can come even close to considering this sham marketing ploy a "graduation".

Quote: "I had a choice to say yes or no. "

I had a choice to say yes or no as well. I'm not saying for one moment that I was forced, although internet research will reveal many people who say they were forced by being severely pressured to attend. But your point here is invalid. I chose to go but I made that decision under false pretenses. I was misled into thinking I was going to a "graduation". If I knew what was in store for me I never would have attended in the first place.

Quote: "Perhaps your friend should have explained what
would occur and what would be asked of you, that
way you wouldnt have had any surprises ???"

The person who invited me was unaware that the entire evening would be dedicated to enticing "invited guests" into joining Landmark. She did tell me beforehand that I will eventually be taken to a conference room - at that point I asked her if I would be pressured into buying something and she said no (she wasn't lying to me, she was only going by what her leader told her). So I didn't think twice about it because I still was under the impression the evening was to be a "graduation", with perhaps an opportunity later to sign up myself if I wanted to. I did NOT expect the entire evening to be based on persuading "invited guests" like me into the fold.

Quote: "After all life is about choices?"

Life IS about choices. But to make an intelligent and informed choice you must have the facts. I didn't have the facts - Landmark lied to me through someone in my life whom I trust. If I knew the true facts I would have chosen not to attend.

I find it the height of hypocrisy that a Landmark defender such as yourself would make such a statement "after all life is about choices" when I read the multitude of on-line testimonials from people who say they were relentlessly pressured and coerced by Landmark staff and supporters to join their repugnant cult. I guess choices are okay unless you choose to reject Landmark. Then your "choice" is shoved down your throat.

Quote: "Its not the fault of Landmark that teh message
wasnt delivered"

It IS the fault of Landmark that they call this evening a "graduation". In my opinion this is a deliberate deception to lure unsuspecting people into their centers so they can pressure them into joining.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.