Current Page: 6 of 7
Can I survive a trip to the Landmark Forum?
Posted by: elena ()
Date: November 24, 2004 06:44PM

Hope someone makes a movie of it. There are enough people now who would understand it. There was an episode a couple of years ago on "Six Feet Under" in which one of the characters gets involved with a fictional LGAT. And also one on "CSI," I believe. (Or some similar show.) They were quite good and the authors obviously had some ax to grind and used fictional accounts to do it.

Ellen

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 24, 2004 10:06PM

I cannot remember who set the poll up and designed the questions.

(My personal take)

The feature that I would disagree with is the last question--and only the manner in which it was written:

'Are you stupid? Why would you do this to yourself?'

That question implies that anyone taking an LGAT is stupid--which, IMO is a form of victim bashing, even if the person who framed the question had no such intention.

As we are finding out, many people get involved with LGATs because they dont know the actual agenda of the event, are not told what the physical and social stressors will be, making informed consent impossible.

Others get involved because they're under pressure from an authority figure or loved one who demands they do the LGAT or suffer loss of the relationship--in that context, consent is not freely given.

Posted by: Toyer ()
Date: November 25, 2004 02:38AM

I agree with all of that. I assure you that my gf is not stupid. Though Landmark does seem to dim her cognative reasoning, it seems to do that to almost everyone that attends to one extent or another.

My suggestion to anyone wanting to go to one of these seminars is "no". Take a class at most any local college in philosophy, psychology, or critical thinking skills. Had my gf attended one of these, I am sure we'd be having progressive discussions on those topics. Not the mess things are now (though not as messy as I feared, my point is that her attendance in this has NOT been good for her, or anyone else. It's simple brainwashing, coupled with sales if you ask me. Actually, not simple, complex, but that's what it comes down to).

Posted by: canadacat ()
Date: November 25, 2004 05:50AM

Toyer,
Can you drop me an email? I'd love to chat with you for research for a possible story I'm doing on Landmark.
Thanks.
Catherine
cstancl@ctv.ca

Posted by: woofish ()
Date: December 06, 2004 10:53AM

I happened upon this board and I'm confused. I spent a year or so attending courses and seminars and seem not to have suffered unduly. I attribute some of my success to what I believe I took away from the organization.

That being said, someone with a personality disorder would, of course, have attendant challenges.

Or am I missing something? This is not to dis-acknowledge the suffering of those for who the experience has been problematic.

Again, as a presentation of some pretty powerful interpersonal skills and vocabulary, LEC seemms to be pretty uselful.

woof

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 06, 2004 12:29PM

That being said, someone with a personality disorder would, of course, have attendant challenges.

. If you read through the messages on this board, some visitors report being harmed or who have seen loved ones harmed --and did not have any pre-existant personality disorders.

Its normal to feel confused after one has been through an LGAT, feels great about it, then visits the RR.com site and discovers different information. Its fine to share one's confusion.

But members will step in if they sense that any form of victim-bashing is taking place.

It is regrettable, but profound experiences can be engineered. There is an informative article on this thread:

[board.culteducation.com]

Posted by: woofish ()
Date: December 10, 2004 03:54AM

. If you read through the messages on this board, some visitors report being harmed or who have seen loved ones harmed --and did not have any pre-existant personality disorders.

>I have read a fair number of posts and acknowledge that many have been harmed by their relationship to LEC as have their affiliates. It's neither my business nor intention to suggest their psychodynamic condition.

[snipped]

But members will step in if they sense that any form of victim-bashing is taking place.

>This I don't get. How has the suggestion that LEC might not be wrong for everyone turn into a condemnation of those for whom the proccess and product was damaging?

It is regrettable, but profound experiences can be engineered. There is an informative article on this thread:

>Why regrettable?

[board.culteducation.com][/quote]

Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: December 10, 2004 08:46AM

Hi Woofish,

It is regrettible that profound experiences can be engineered.

If for instance, prior to Landmark, lets say you fell in love. The act of falling in love was mutual and uncontrived. Their is a sense of honesty between you and your loved one. It is just the two of you.

Now, lets look at the "being with" exercise of the Landmark Advanced Course. You are encouraged to stand toe to toe with someone from the opposite sex and stare into their eyes. A bonding with that person takes place over the 10 or so minutes. You are "at cause", being present with the other in the moment. No bagage, no past, no future, no interpretation, no analysing, no preconceived notions or judgements - just being with the person, now, in the present moment - very intimate.

In many cases, the "being with" exercise has caused the existance of a new found romantic relationship. Did the participants know this was a possibility before commencing - probably not. Did the Landmark course director know that this would be a possibility? - yes.

So why is this exercise in the course? It is there to engineer the possibility of Landmark relationships so participants are less likely to leave Landmark if they are in a relationship with another Landmark participant. This creates synergy - two Landmarkians in love are far more effective in enrolling/selling courses to others than a single person. Two Landmarkians in love will support the other when one starts to have doubts about Landmark.

This is what Corboy is talking about when saying that it is regrettible that profound experiences can be engineered.

"Being with" is a hypnotic process adopted from Tantric Sex practices designed to highten attraction to your partner and visa versa.

Landmark does not tell/discose to participants this. Landmark manipulates the participants by engineering a process causing people to fall in love/lust with no thought of their loved one waiting at home.

This is manipulation. It is not you and your partner but Landmark, you and your partner. Engineered love/lust by Landmark Education from the guy behind the curtain.

Oz

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: December 10, 2004 09:32AM

corboy
It is regrettable, but profound experiences can be engineered.

I regret that more people do not know that they can engineer profound experiences for themselves.

this has two aspects. first, not enough of us know to defend yourself against manipulators of consciousness. second, not enough of us know how you can engineer your own profound experiences at will.

Posted by: Cousin2004 ()
Date: December 11, 2004 04:05AM

If at all possible, attempt to discourage her from attending more courses. From what I understand, the deeper one gets within the mental confines of Landmark, the more they're likely to push you away as a result of not opening yourself to Landmark. Do whatever you can to discourage her from continuing. It's likely that her inner circle will contain more and more Landmarkians and less and less of her friends and family. I feel for you and wish you the best.

Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.