Current Page: 3 of 8
Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: glam ()
Date: September 30, 2004 04:55AM

More from Pathways, Dr. Phil's baby:

Why Pathways LifeStyle Management Seminars Work

Pathways is an Experience Based training program. Participants are lead through a series of processes whereby they discover things for themselves. Some of the methodologies Dr. Phil designed into the program include:

* One-on-one dyads
* Small group work
* Large group work

“Pathways is an Experience Based training which allows individuals to achieve and create their own results. When you lecture people, they will most likely lose the information within several weeks; however if they work to achieve their own ‘conclusions / truths’, then that information will most likely remain with them for the rest of their life.”

Dr. Phil McGraw
Founder and Creator

Unlike therapy, Pathways doesn’t focus on “why” something happened, but rather on the fact that it “did” happen. Participants learn how to prevent past events from influencing the present and limiting the future.

This sounds an awful lot like Landmark to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Date: September 30, 2004 09:21AM

Apparently the reason Dr. Phil never refers to himself as a psychologist -- but instead calls himself a life strategist—is because, legally, he can't call himself a psychologist. He lost his license to practice on ethics charges a few years ago.

It turns out that so-called "Applied Kinesiology" is being used or has been used by some cults as a method of control. It was created by a Chiropractor years ago, and claims about its benefits and uses have gotten wilder and wilder since its creation.

I found this on the web:

...my boyfriend worked for "Dr." Phil, and some of my closest friends do as well, so I do know his past very well, and the scary part is that it is all true....In 1988 he quit practicing cause he said he was tired of peoples problems, yeah right...he was involved in a sexual abuse case against a 19 year female patient, the Tx Board Psychology suspended his license and put him on probation, and told him they were going to put him under a microscope...he didn't like that so he quit practice moved from Wichita Falls, Tx to Dallas and started CSI [www.courtroomsciences.com] with lawyer friend Gary Dobbs.

[ctv1.ctv.ca]

I wish I could find a news article about the sexual abuse allegation. Does anyone subscribe to LexisNexis?

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: SarahL ()
Date: September 30, 2004 12:14PM

glam
I wish I could find a news article about the sexual abuse allegation. Does anyone subscribe to LexisNexis?

I don't have a LexisNexis subscription, hopefully someone does who can post here.

I've found some other bits of info on Dr. Phil:

[teamofdestiny.blogharbor.com]

[b:674870467c]Finally, Dr. Phil McGraw thrilled the audience when he described Quixtar as "one of the greatest success stories in American business history.[/b:674870467c]

Article is about McGraw speaking before a Quixtar event. More info on Quixtar/Amway can be found on the Ross site.

And here is Tony Danza's comments on McGraw:

UPI NewsTrack, Sept 24, 2004 pNA
Tony Danza criticizes Dr. Phil. (Entertainment News)
Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2004 United Press International

NEW YORK, Sept. 24 (UPI) -- TV talk host Tony Danza has blasted "Dr. Phil" McGraw for comparing a 9-year-old boy and a serial killer during a primetime television special.

Danza, on his show Thursday, said the Federal Communications Commission should fine McGraw for the psychologist's comments during the CBS "Family First" special Wednesday, the New York Post reported Friday.

"How about the fact that Dr. Phil had a kid on last night, 9 years old, and evidently (McGraw) had this thing where he's got these 14 traits of a serial killer. Evidently, this kid has 10 of these traits or something. So what does he do on Monday? He's got to go to school now," Danza said.

"I think there should be a fine for Dr. Phil," Danza said.

Danza said he is sensitive to kids' media exposure and what could happen with their peers and circle of friends.

"My kids, I swear, ever since I got the show, all I hear is, 'Dad, remember -- Monday I have to go to school,'" he said.

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: September 30, 2004 12:42PM

Do you have the links where is shows where he lost his psychological license?
I know he quit his practice, and went into business.
But I am not aware that he actually lost his license to practice.
But regardless, there is some serious bullcrap being peddled here, especially from this Frank Lawlis character.

This is what they claim on his website, and i think its probably accurate. But even if it is, it doesn't mean he knows what he talking about. And of course, his show is legally "entertainment", so basically it doesn't matter what he says anyway.
Its just about making money, and massive Ego stroking.
He's a glorified psychological confidence man.

Coz

[www.drphil.com]
Dr. Phil has a B.S, M.A. and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from North Texas State University with a dual area of emphasis in clinical and behavioral medicine. He has been a board-certified and licensed clinical psychologist since 1978.

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Date: September 30, 2004 12:45PM

The "Applied Kinesiology" (a fancy name for VOODOO HAND WAVING) stuff is a TOTAL SCAMOLA.
I know a guy who does it, with great CONFIDENCE, and its just a way to persuade people of whatever you want to persuade them.
Some folks have deluded themselves that it works.
But anybody knowing anything about science would TEST it, and see it doesn't work.
Its wacko stuff.

Coz

glam

It turns out that so-called "Applied Kinesiology" is being used or has been used by some cults as a method of control. It was created by a Chiropractor years ago, and claims about its benefits and uses have gotten wilder and wilder since its creation.

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: September 30, 2004 10:46PM

I'm wondering if Dr. Phil used a different name in the past. A review of public records from The Texas Board of Psychological Examiners turned up nothing. There are many hits on Google regarding the sexual abuse charges, but it looks like it didn't go anywhere. Documentary writers have been stonewalled when asking for ANY information from Dr. Phil's camp, threatened with lawsuits merely for asking for interviews.

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Date: October 01, 2004 02:10AM

Here's an article by a woman who just wrote a book about Dr.Phil:

[www.mediabistro.com]

I'm still trying to find definitive info about the sexual abuse charges.

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: SarahL ()
Date: October 01, 2004 03:24AM

[www.emediawire.com]

The Dr. Lawlis on Dr. Phil's Approaches Series from Professional CEU names April Diane Glunt(Life Coach) a Senior Life Strategist Coach. ProfessionalCEU is pleased to announce that April Diane Glunt is now a Senior Life Strategist Coach. As a Senior Life Strategist, April Diane has been taught all of the theories and techniques behind all of Dr. Phil's methodologies. April Diane has been trained by Dr. Phil's own teacher 'from way back when' and mentor, Dr. Lawlis, and is now able to effectively guide anyone who is willing to do what it takes through Dr.Phil's books (Self Matters, Life Strategies and Relationship Rescue). - 2004-05-27

[www.prweb.com]

Life Coach and founder of DesignerLife, April Diane Glunt now has Fearbuster Groups across the U.S.

(PRWEB) May 24, 2004 -- The Fearless Living Institute is pleased to announce that April Diane Glunt, LifeCoach and founder of DesignerLife, is now a Fearless Living Fearbuster Group Leader.

As a Certified Fearbuster Group Leader, April has been trained to support others on how to live without fear.

[www.fearlessliving.org]

[www.learndrphilfromlawlis.com]

[www.learndrphilfromlawlis.com]

"Dr. Frank Lawlis, the principal content advisor to the Dr. Phil Show, is developing a national network of therapists and Life Strategists to handle inquiries and referrals from Dr. Phil's 7.5 million daily viewers.

The Dr. Lawlis on Dr. Phil's Approaches Series from ProfessionalCEU will be used to train this network of therapists. Once you obtain associate status, you'll become a referral network therapist, authorized to help clients according to Dr. Phil's approach.

Dr. Phil viewers who desire counseling will be referred to the Therapist Network, where they will be able to search for a licensed practitioner who has completed training in this program. Once a visitor selects a practitioner, they can schedule and pay for in-person, phone, or online therapy sessions through the site."

[www.life-strategist.com]

"Life-Strategist.com is offered as a locator service to persons in the general public who desire to identify, locate and learn about life coaches who have received specialized training in the approaches used by Dr. Phil McGraw as taught by G. Frank Lawlis."

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Date: October 01, 2004 09:01AM

[www.nypost.com]

'DANZA SHOW' ADVICE TO DR. PHIL: SHUT UP

TONY Danza says he thinks "Dr. Phil" McGraw should "be fined" for his Wednesday-night CBS special, "Family First" — in which he drew comparisons between a 9-year-old boy and characteristics of a serial killer.

Danza, himself the father of several children, opened yesterday's "Tony Danza Show" with a discussion of McGraw's special, which discussed how to fix dysfunctional families — including the family of the 9-year-old boy.

"How about the fact that Dr. Phil had a kid on last night, 9 years old, and evidently [McGraw] had this thing where he's got these 14 traits of a serial killer," Danza said.

"Evidently, this kid has 10 of these traits or something," he said. "So what does he do on Monday? He's got to go to school now.

"My kids, I swear, ever since I got the show, all I hear is, 'Dad, remember — Monday I have to go to school.' "

"It's wrong," Danza's sidekick, Ereka Vetrini, piped in.

"I think there should be a fine for Dr. Phil," Danza said, alluding to CBS' fine for Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" during last year's Super Bowl.

Danza then read a partial list of Dr. Phil's traits for a serial killer.

A McGraw spokesman did not return a call seeking comment.

Danza's show airs 10 a.m. on Ch. 7. — Michael Starr

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Date: October 01, 2004 09:20AM

[www.voy.com]

May 2, 2004 -- EXCLUSIVE

Dr. Phil McGraw has been slammed with a class-action lawsuit accusing him of deceptive and untruthful advertising of his Shape Up! weight-loss products, The Post has learned.

"We want everyone who bought these things to get their money back," says lead lawyer Henry Rossbacher, who filed the potentially big-bucks lawsuit in Los Angeles on behalf of three customers.

McGraw has been endorsing the Shape Up! products - which include nutrition bars; weight-management supplements; so-called "intensifier" pills to increase the effectiveness of other pills; and meal-replacement shakes - since they went on sale last year.

The lawsuit - believed to be the first filed against Shape Up! - comes after the Washington, D.C.-based Center for Science in the Public Interest raised serious questions about the products' effectiveness.

The Shape Up! pills - which cost consumers $60 a month if they take the recommended 12 a day - are advertised as having different formulas effective for apple-shaped or pear-shaped body types.

The Shape Up! Web site says that "apple body types store excess fat in their stomach region and need more help with metabolizing carbohydrates."

"Pear body types store excess fat around their hips and thighs - areas more resistant to weight-loss efforts."

But an investigation by the Center for Science in the Public Interest found the pills for each body type are practically identical.

The lawsuit, which also named Shape Up! manufacturer CSA Nutraceuticals as a defendant, said the manufacturers falsely claim that some of the products contain "scientifically researched levels of ingredients that can help you change your behavior to take control of your weight."

"There is no credible scientific evidence that these products or their ingredients individually or in combination have any effect on behavior," the suit says.

The suit was filed March 26 in Los Angeles County Superior Court on behalf of customers Joanne Levine, of Los Angeles, Steven Burda of Bensalem, Pa., and Nancy Harmon of Athens, Tenn.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest said Dr Phil's Shape Up! Shakes are made from "just a run-of-the-mill powder made from milk, fiber and vitamins."

And his bars, made from sugars, oil, soy protein, fiber and still more vitamins, seem formulated without the help of Dr. Phil's book, "The Ultimate Weight Solution," which declares sugars and fats "off-limits if you want to successfully control your weight," the center said.

McGraw's lawyer, Bill Dawson, said in a written statement that McGraw believes in the products' quality and "that they are properly described."

He claimed McGraw has no financial interest in the products as "every penny of the licensing fee goes to his charitable foundation to fight childhood obesity . . . and do other good deeds."

CSA Nutraceuticals is housed in the same offices as Courtroom Sciences Inc., McGraw's own litigation-consulting firm.

It was as a trial consultant that McGraw met Oprah Winfrey, when she hired him to help her fight a lawsuit by Texas cattlemen. This alliance ultimately led to McGraw's weekly appearances on her show and, eventually, to his own daytime series.

CSA's president is Gary Dobbs, McGraw's partner at Courtroom Sciences, and its chief operating officer is Brent Dobbs, Gary Dobbs' son.

Winfrey appears to be less than enthralled by the products, saying, "I feel that a person should own their own name and make their own choices."

When she recently launched her own weight-loss series with country singer Wynonna Judd, McGraw's plan and products were nowhere to be found.

Industry experts say it is impossible to tell this early how well Shape Up! is selling.

Sophia Dembling is the author of "The Making of Dr. Phil."

Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.