Snapping! .... Sudden Personality Change
Posted by: Wiser Aussie ()
Date: January 05, 2007 10:11AM

SNAPPING! It's the explanation of the epidemic of Sudden Personality Change that occurs in people after joining a cult or doing a seminar.

After reading "Snapping" by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman, I believe this is what happened to me when I had a breakdown in my LGAT. It can range from a very subtle to very intense experience. At the point of when I 'snapped', I surrended to the group pressure. I stopped doubting, questioning and critical thinking. I thought I was having a spiritual experience.

After this 'snapping moment' I was a fully fledged convert and devotee of "Money & You" and anything else they promoted.

Has anyone else 'snapped'?

[www.culteducation.com]
[www.caic.org.au]

WA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: January 05, 2007 10:30AM

I have not read "Snapping" but from the brief description of your experience, I must have snapped. I remember the group pressure, I remember being re-shaped by it. I thought it was a good thing too, i.e. a spiritual awakening.

The whole LIE still pisses me off!!!!!!!!!!!!

skeptic

Posted by: Jeri442 ()
Date: January 05, 2007 11:26AM

This sounds exactly what happen to be after PSI 7. Does the effects last for three years? or even longer? I need to get a copy of this book.

Posted by: ezdoesit ()
Date: January 05, 2007 11:31AM

Buy a used copy of the earliest edition that contains the material about "est," which was (I believe) removed in subsequent editions.

EZ

Posted by: Jeri442 ()
Date: January 05, 2007 11:42AM

Thanks EZ, I will...

Date: January 07, 2007 11:59AM

"SNAPPING! It's the explanation of the epidemic of Sudden Personality Change that occurs in people after joining a cult or doing a seminar.

After reading "Snapping" by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman, I believe this is what happened to me when I had a breakdown in my LGAT. It can range from a very subtle to very intense experience. At the point of when I 'snapped', I surrended to the group pressure. I stopped doubting, questioning and critical thinking. I thought I was having a spiritual experience.

After this 'snapping moment' I was a fully fledged convert and devotee of "Money & You" and anything else they promoted.

Has anyone else 'snapped'?

[www.culteducation.com]
[www.caic.org.au]

WA

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: January 07, 2007 12:29PM

Just did a little reading about "Snapping" on the web and it looks very interesting. I will check for it in bookstores.

Thanks!

skeptic

Date: January 07, 2007 12:41PM

My understanding of this Snapping Phenomenon, which is based on the Catastrophe Curve, is when one first enters a cult or LGAT environment one has a normal level of everyday awareness at the start. Then as ones involvement progresses and participant is subjected to many mind control techniques including intense physical experiences (e.g. singing, dancing or any vigorous group activities), physiological stresses (e.g. lack of sleep and food deprivation), information stresses or information overload (including isolation) and sensory overload and deprivation, then that normal level of awareness is manipulated and changed into an altered state of consciousess. When this happens one can experience mental and emotional conflicts such as anxiety, confusion, guilt, fear, anger, disorientation, alienation and humiliation. During this process one can be contantly battling internally with resistance and acceptance of all the information one is exposed to. This brings one to a crisis point. The information overload is much stronger than ones resistance. At the point of Snapping or "breaking point" one has totally surrendered and compliant. This puts the participant inn a vulnerable state. At the "snapping moment" one can have a rush of physical sensations. In my case I had an emotional breakdown (uncontrollable tears), breathlessness and nausea. Apparently other physical sensations include a feeling of floating, blinding light and even momentary paralysis. For me it was a complete emotional collapse followed by what I thought was a spiritual awakening. At this point I'd experienced a sudden conversion and transformation of personality. I was fully emersed in the "cult state."

I'd recommend the book "Snapping" to those who've had a similar experience. It is written from a Communications point of view, which compliments all the other literature on mind control, thought reform and coercive and exploitative persuasion. This book has been one of the many vital keys in unlocking what happened during my pyschological breakdown.

The authors also speak of the "Snapping Out" experience that occurs when one is deprogrammed or begins questioning and critically evaluating the information given and their experience in the group.

WA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.