Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: New Era Trainings
Posted by: ImTierd ()
Date: May 05, 2008 09:43AM

[[u]quote fnkythspn]I personally am a graduate of all three levels of the trainings. I finished the third level in 2004, when the company was called iImpact.
Currently, I am in a doctorate program for psychology.
Nearly all of my family has participated in the trainings.
I have recently started revisiting the building and seen more of what the trainings do.
Also, I do not work for them in any capacity.[/u]

I could spend a lot of time pontificating about what I and the people around me have gained from these trainings, but that does not seem effective (though I am more than happy to elaborate if anyone is curious or skeptical).

My main points are that:
1) Lynne and Jim are not making buckets of money off of these trainings -- it may seem like a lot of money, but there are expenses involved in the running of a business, and, unlike many other companies (including Lifespring) that do these same 'trainings', they do not have 200+ people in the first level of the trainings -- that many people is undesirable, and they choose to keep it smaller because otherwise some of the power is lost
2) There are a lot of black and white dichotomies presented in the trainings, but they are there to make a point, to make an strong statement...in life, they recognize that shades of grey come into play -- but buying into people's excuses for why their lives aren't what they want them to be does not help anyone...a therapist makes these same points, but via a different modality (recall, please , that I will soon be a licensed psychologist, so this is not pontification)
3) New Era Trainings is distinct from a cult in the most obvious way because no one is telling them to cut out the rest of the people in their lives -- if anything, they support people having better relationships with everyone in their lives; the apparent obsession with the trainings can be alikened to when someone first starts dating someone new and exciting and want to talk about it and be with this person a lot more

I am truly happy to answer ANY questions (or challenges) to my statements and opinions -- from anyone.[/quote]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ImTierd ()
Date: May 05, 2008 09:46AM

Why is it so many people that come out of these types of trainings go into Psychology, Life Coaching and other areas of that nature? Is it to promote this type of training? I just don't get it.

Posted by: fnkythspn ()
Date: May 05, 2008 11:16AM

ImTierd
Why is it so many people that come out of these types of trainings go into Psychology, Life Coaching and other areas of that nature? Is it to promote this type of training? I just don't get it.

I don't know that I can speak for others, but I will absolutely speak for myself.
First of all, I had decided when I was 17 (before I ever knew about the trainings) that I wanted to be a therapist.
I participated in the program after I had chosen Psychology as my college major, and, as a very good and bright student, I knew that making a [successful] career in the field of psychology would require a graduate degree.
Since graduating, I finished my B.A. in Psych and was readily accepted into a doctorate program.

My pursuit of being a professional psychologist is not a consequence of participating in the trainings. The ease with which I have accomplished what I have is where the trainings came in.

I want to clarify, since ImTierd seems concerned, that I understand and agree with the general concern about people who are not prepared entering these trainings. It is absolutely inadvisable that people who have deep-seated issues in their lives participate in these trainings; people who can be diagnosed with a psychological disorder are not equipped to handle the intensity of these trainings. This is also why New Era addresses this concern as much as possible (querying about diagnoses and participation in therapy to prospective participants).
There are, however, many many people who do not need 'therapy' but would benefit from what the trainings can provide.
These trainings are for people whose lives are working -- not for people who cannot hold down a job/relationship/etc.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 05, 2008 08:00PM

fnkythspn:

Look at the first page of this thread.

Research by a clinical psychologist points out the inherent problems with LGATs (large group awareness training).

It seems like you are attempting to blame the victim, rather than acknowledge that these programs are potentially unsafe for anyone.

New Era Trainings
Posted by: fnkythspn ()
Date: May 05, 2008 11:46PM

Further comments are in the Re:New Era Trainings thread.

Posted by: btr ()
Date: May 07, 2008 01:40AM

This is the first time I decided to post.
I have read through the forums months ago, after I took the first level Explore class I had a very positive experience, but after speaking with a friend of mine I was quickly turned to here.

I scoured through the links and read the books regarding LGATS. Will I be psychologically hurt if I continue to the next class? And did I really experience that or was it smoke and mirrors? These were questions I faced and after critically reviewing the resources here I made my decision. Although New Era is an LGAT I did not see anything more than small similarities with past programs. I chose to go forward and again had a very positive, valuable experience. So I wish to contribute back to the forums that did help me decide, hopefully helping others make their own decision.

I do not deny that LGATs are not for everyone neither is group therapy or personal therapy. Every individual is different and more responsive to different methods. I truly believe each method licensed or unlicensed should be evaluated by the individual at face value – is this for me? Do I believe in this? The facility does not promote themselves as therapists and are not held to an oversight committee or board. If that is a criteria for you then look elsewhere.

Holistic medicine, homeopathy, and use of Herbs are all forms of alternative medicines that have very little oversight and controversial in its efficacy. Obviously we can pick and choose what we think works or doesn’t from a list yet these options do exist and there are people that ‘swear by them.’

I’m no expert in these fields or in LGATs, just a man who experienced these very trainings and utilized my own logos on deciding to go further and I don’t regret it.

I would like to share one last thing – whatever I have done and wherever I’ve been I’ve seen this to be true – having a really good, positive experience with a product or service maybe I will tell 10 people (maybe) but boy oh boy if I had a negative one I will grab anyone within earshot to hear my fury (15+).

~ Interesting that we keep the good things inside while we gladly focus on the negative no matter how tipped the scales could be.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 07, 2008 03:02AM

btr:

"LGATs are not for everyone"?

Right.

That's the same line used over and over again by fnkythspn.

It's beginning to look like "New Era" fans are deliberately coming to this message board in an effort to subvert criticism.

Based upon the admissions posted about New Era by fnkythspn, the program should be considered a potentially unsafe LGAT in my opinion.

See [forum.culteducation.com] (note the admissions made by fnkythspn).

It seems that Jim and Lynn, the owners/leaders of New Era, do delve into the personal and private lives of participants.

Despite what you have said, in this sense New Era can be seen as something like mass therapy or group counseling.

However, as you correctly point out, Jim and Lynn at New Era don't have the educational qualifications and/or any licensing as professional counselors or mental health professionals, to professionally provide such services.

This makes New Era questionable, to say the least.

IMO--People would probably be safer and better off seeking whatever help they need from a licensed professional and/or talking over any personal concerns with a trusted family member or friend, rather than a "life coach" like Jim at New Era.

Practical self-improvement might also include continuing education or a support group focused on a personal need or interest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2008 03:33AM by rrmoderator.

Posted by: trained1 ()
Date: May 07, 2008 03:33AM

Funny thing is that "fnkythspn" states that New Era is not one of Dr Hanley's operations but the link below should dispel that myth.

[www.lifespringnow.com]

Date: May 07, 2008 03:46AM

This message board was designed to offer the public an open forum for discussion and free expression, concerning controversial and/or potentially unsafe groups, and generally related subjects.

The mention and/or inclusion of a group within this message board does not define that group as a "cult" and/or destructive. Nor does the mention of an individual somehow label him or her as either negative and/or harmful. Instead, each message simply reflects the individual opinion of the author.

The purpose of this message board is not to promote a specific religious and/or political viewpoint. Don't use it to preach or proselytize.

There is truth in the statement; it isn’t a sweeping solution for everyone. So it shouldn’t be approached like that and after reading older posts that was the sense I felt. I could be wrong but I wanted to reiterate my point.

My intention is not to subvert criticism but to embrace the very rules and intention of this forum. It is presented to the public to create a discussion – so what if I don’t share the same fervor as you do. I’m not even suggesting anyone to go or not go, merely I’m sharing my own personal experience and suggesting others to read the resources that are here, evaluate one’s own experiences (of friends and exposure to the course) and make an educated choice. ~ The same thing I've read you been doing, difference is I went had a positive experience.

I have posted on many forums and I have read the link to your discussion with ‘fnkythspn’ and I cannot ignore the fact that as a moderator you have a very clear and distinct opinion on this issue. That’s fine. I respect that however it is the intensity of where you are coming from I find more disconcerting, are you open to multiple viewpoints being discussed here?

Compared to the other posts I thought my post was fairly neutral at least they weren't preachy - just 'this is how I saw it.'

Is this truly a public forum for free expression?

Date: May 07, 2008 03:56AM

Trained1:

Whether "fnkythspn" knows it or not you are right New Era is on that link you posted. But note according to the own information in it, New Era is not licensed by LifeSpring but does hold its methodologies and may or may be modified.

No matter there does exist a link, the quality of it I do not now.

Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.