Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Landmark's use of Hypnosis
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: December 05, 2007 08:47AM

Zorro
It became absolutely clear to me this morning that Landmark uses hypnosis during the Forum, Advanced Course, and Advanced Communications Course. Those are the three that jump out at me. I realized this because yesterday I learned a mechanism for Hypnosis.

The mechanism used in the Fear Exercise in the Forum is very similar to the one I learned about. Pretty good way of instilling fear into individuals if you ask me!

The Advanced Course is rife with Hypnosis techniques, at least from what I can tell. A good one is where the participants stare into each others eyes while they are standing just a few inches away from each other while the course leader is giving the participants guided images. I believe the Advanced Course is designed to totally blow out and short circuit a persons brain and personality and set them up for reprogramming at a deeper level.

The Advanced Communications course uses a technique (during the Sunday evening portion) that is almost identical to the one the Forum used. It is also during a fear based exercise as well.

I'm sure there are other instances where hypnosis is used. But those are the three most blatant examples that I can think of at this moment.

This is very insidious...I didn't asked to be hypnotised by Landmark and I sure as hell didn't knowingly consent to it! Neither did anyone else that I am aware of.

Are there any other instances out there other than these that people can point to that Landmark has used?

From Hypnosis For Change, who analyzes Hypnosis as used in LGATs :
[blog.myspace.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elena ()
Date: December 05, 2007 09:12AM

skeptic

Ellen, I guess you're saying that IF one can see the truth the CON is no longer working. The nature of a successful con is that it does not look like a con. I see what you're saying.

There have been long term victims who have written about a separate or parallel "self," awareness, or consciousness hidden away from the cult "self" that quietly records the real truth and acts as a dump or repository for all the doubts, questions, skepticism, humor, and other un-cult-like thoughts or impulses. They describe this awareness as something they attempt to ignore, though it seems to have a life of its own and often asserts itself in sleep or times of stress. They use cult techniques to silence it, often blaming themselves for their inability to destroy it completely. Religions have taken this "self" as a sign of satan's untiring vigilance and impetus for people to work harder and harder to maintain control of their own (the church's) minds, apparently having no problem with the paradox or hypocrisy. I find the existence of this parallel self heartening. The ones who are most successful at dampening this awareness are in reality the failures, the apparent failures the truly successful, being those who release themselves to a higher truth above the cult or religion's definition. Sad to say, this truth has more questions than answers, more doubt than certainty, and more "unknowing" than most people can tolerate. Too bad the human race is so quick to rush to the safety of answers and certainty. It might be our undoing.

Ellen

Posted by: Zorro ()
Date: December 05, 2007 11:19AM

elena
There have been long term victims who have written about a separate or parallel "self," awareness, or consciousness hidden away from the cult "self" that quietly records the real truth and acts as a dump or repository for all the doubts, questions, skepticism, humor, and other un-cult-like thoughts or impulses. They describe this awareness as something they attempt to ignore, though it seems to have a life of its own and often asserts itself in sleep or times of stress. They use cult techniques to silence it, often blaming themselves for their inability to destroy it completely.

I remember the course leaders talking about this in Landmark. I can't exactly recall if they had a name for it. But they said that it was the voice inside of us that tells us not to do something and keeps us from progressing. I also recall them saying that the voice wasn't us at all. We also had to work to over come the voice but it will always be there.

Even then I really didn't buy into that crap. I knew that the voice they were referring to was only me questioning what ever it was at the time. It wasn't someother entity, it was me. It was/is my intuition, my gut instinct, my ability to sense things, my bull sh*t meter. It rarely lets me down, but while I was in Landmark I did turn it way down.

But ever since leaving Landmark it's been cranked way up! Heck in some instances it's working better than it ever has before. Not much gets past me anymore, I may not let on to people at times that I know what's going on but I do. I test everything now for BS especially if its a new avenue I'm traveling down.

Posted by: Blue Pill ()
Date: December 06, 2007 03:04AM

Zorro
elena
There have been long term victims who have written about a separate or parallel "self," awareness, or consciousness hidden away from the cult "self" that quietly records the real truth and acts as a dump or repository for all the doubts, questions, skepticism, humor, and other un-cult-like thoughts or impulses. They describe this awareness as something they attempt to ignore, though it seems to have a life of its own and often asserts itself in sleep or times of stress. They use cult techniques to silence it, often blaming themselves for their inability to destroy it completely.

I remember the course leaders talking about this in Landmark. I can't exactly recall if they had a name for it. But they said that it was the voice inside of us that tells us not to do something and keeps us from progressing. I also recall them saying that the voice wasn't us at all. We also had to work to over come the voice but it will always be there.

Even then I really didn't buy into that crap. I knew that the voice they were referring to was only me questioning what ever it was at the time. It wasn't someother entity, it was me. It was/is my intuition, my gut instinct, my ability to sense things, my bull sh*t meter. It rarely lets me down, but while I was in Landmark I did turn it way down.

But ever since leaving Landmark it's been cranked way up! Heck in some instances it's working better than it ever has before. Not much gets past me anymore, I may not let on to people at times that I know what's going on but I do. I test everything now for BS especially if its a new avenue I'm traveling down.

Yes I remember that stuff. I surpresed it several times I recall and I just can't believe I did it. When one guy stood up to complain about the ridiculous pressure being applied to "enrol" others my voice was saying - "back him up!". Then I had some evil bitch who was a Landmark junkie (sorry, not trying to be sexist - but she was) telling me how selfish I was for having failed to enrol a friend of mine. It just so happens I spent an hour on the phone with my friend and it got very close to her telling me she would never speak to me again. If I was being my normal self I would have told the evil little witch to go find her next enrolment victim in a body cavity out of which she was talking.

We each have a tipping point I think, where if we are to see things for what they are, it just happens. Mine occurred when my ex Girlfriend LM junkie told me she was scared to ask for "time off" to go to her sisters wedding. WTF????

Posted by: caligari ()
Date: December 06, 2007 09:55PM

Zorro
It became absolutely clear to me this morning that Landmark uses hypnosis during the Forum, Advanced Course, and Advanced Communications Course. Those are the three that jump out at me. I realized this because yesterday I learned a mechanism for Hypnosis.

The mechanism used in the Fear Exercise in the Forum is very similar to the one I learned about. Pretty good way of instilling fear into individuals if you ask me!

The Advanced Course is rife with Hypnosis techniques, at least from what I can tell. A good one is where the participants stare into each others eyes while they are standing just a few inches away from each other while the course leader is giving the participants guided images. I believe the Advanced Course is designed to totally blow out and short circuit a persons brain and personality and set them up for reprogramming at a deeper level.

The Advanced Communications course uses a technique (during the Sunday evening portion) that is almost identical to the one the Forum used. It is also during a fear based exercise as well.

I'm sure there are other instances where hypnosis is used. But those are the three most blatant examples that I can think of at this moment.

This is very insidious...I didn't asked to be hypnotised by Landmark and I sure as hell didn't knowingly consent to it! Neither did anyone else that I am aware of.

Are there any other instances out there other than these that people can point to that Landmark has used?

If you mention hypnosis, Landmark promoters will try to discredit or minimize it. They'll joke about stage hypnosis, The Manchurian Candidate, talk about brainwashing (which originally is technically quite different in meaning.) Hypnosis has been clinically studied since the 1930's. And has hundreds of years of practical usage before that. There's a brainwave state, Theta, which activates in hypnotic trance. There are ethical guidelines from psychological and hypnosis institutes for informing subjects on the methods and limitations of hypnosis. And the APA (American Psychological Institute) has a branch on Hypnosis,
[www.apa.org]

I'm surprised that hypnosis isn't brought up more in discussing Landmark and it's methods, particularly in journalistic articles. It's possible to discount brainwashing since it's a term that loosely used and often not exact. It's original meaning was though reform through physically coerced methods like the North Korean origins. This can be contested. Hypnosis is pretty clearly in use and unethically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 09:57PM by caligari.

Posted by: elena ()
Date: December 06, 2007 11:57PM

caligari
I'm surprised that hynosis isn't brought up more in discussing Landmark and it's methods, particularly in journalistic articles. It's possible to discount brainwashing since it's a term that loosely used and often not exact. It's original meaning was though reform through physically coerced methods like the North Korean origins. This can be contested. Hypnosis is pretty clearly in use and unethically.[/quote

I would just like to point out that whether you call it "brainwashing," "thought reform," or "covert persuasion," Ofshe and Singer, in their essay, "Attacks on Peripheral versus Central Elements of Self and the Impact of Thought Reforming Techniques," explain and differentiate between first-generation and second-generation tactics and second-generation ones used by such groups as Landmark and Lifespring as well as the better-known cults are that much more effective because they are "uncoerced" seductions and target "central" or more primal elements of self as opposed to "peripheral," which include such things as political persuasion, national identity, and fraternal affiliations.

Ellen

Posted by: caligari ()
Date: December 07, 2007 12:44AM

elena
caligari
I'm surprised that hynosis isn't brought up more in discussing Landmark and it's methods, particularly in journalistic articles. It's possible to discount brainwashing since it's a term that loosely used and often not exact. It's original meaning was though reform through physically coerced methods like the North Korean origins. This can be contested. Hypnosis is pretty clearly in use and unethically.[/quote

I would just like to point out that whether you call it "brainwashing," "thought reform," or "covert persuasion," Ofshe and Singer, in their essay, "Attacks on Peripheral versus Central Elements of Self and the Impact of Thought Reforming Techniques," explain and differentiate between first-generation and second-generation tactics and second-generation ones used by such groups as Landmark and Lifespring as well as the better-known cults are that much more effective because they are "uncoerced" seductions and target "central" or more primal elements of self as opposed to "peripheral," which include such things as political persuasion, national identity, and fraternal affiliations.

Ellen

That is one source with a interesting, perhaps accurate and useful description of the techniques. But, in over 30 years of reporting on organizations like Landmark, terms like cult and brainwashing have not had significant impact. It was facts like the sexual and physical abuse by Werner and his associates in the 60 minutes piece that had immediate impact. It is provable facts like unethical use of hypnosis -- which has decades of scientific evidence from many sources -- that I see as useful. Terms and claims that can be disputed and argued over lead to mostly that.

Posted by: Zorro ()
Date: December 07, 2007 12:34PM

caligari

I'm surprised that hypnosis isn't brought up more in discussing Landmark and it's methods, particularly in journalistic articles. It's possible to discount brainwashing since it's a term that loosely used and often not exact. It's original meaning was though reform through physically coerced methods like the North Korean origins. This can be contested. Hypnosis is pretty clearly in use and unethically.

I wonder if it's because the people writing the articles have never studied hypnosis or even been under clinical hypnosis? Once I experienced it in a controled clinical setting I was able to distinguish the method Landmark used. It was a aparent as walking outside and seeing the sun on a clear day.

The fact that Landmark does it to people while they are concious and awake doesn't set off warning bells in people who have never experienced it and told what it was before hand. To the uninitiated it would just seem like some harmless exercise of imagining stuff. But harmless isn't the case it's freaking dirty and dispickable!

To hynotize fear into people is deplorable, to do it to one person is inhumane, to do it to 100+ people at one time, like in the Forum, rates right up there with an atrocity, in my book. This crap can't be denied or blown off as a parlor trick.

Posted by: MarkusWelch ()
Date: December 07, 2007 12:44PM

caligari
elena
caligari
I'm surprised that hynosis isn't brought up more in discussing Landmark and it's methods, particularly in journalistic articles. It's possible to discount brainwashing since it's a term that loosely used and often not exact. It's original meaning was though reform through physically coerced methods like the North Korean origins. This can be contested. Hypnosis is pretty clearly in use and unethically.

Ellen

That is one source with a interesting, perhaps accurate and useful description of the techniques. But, in over 30 years of reporting on organizations like Landmark, terms like cult and brainwashing have not had significant impact. It was facts like the sexual and physical abuse by Werner and his associates in the 60 minutes piece that had immediate impact. It is provable facts like unethical use of hypnosis -- which has decades of scientific evidence from many sources -- that I see as useful. Terms and claims that can be disputed and argued over lead to mostly that.

I don't think significant impact would result here. By the time there is a shift in thinking, a "tipping point" if you will, that begins to accept or 'mainstream' hypnosis itself, Landmark will admit to using it in "new" courses based on the most recent technology and maybe follow it up by saying it works.

I think you would need that large or popular recognition of hypnosis prior to claiming any person or org used it unethically to cause an uproar IMO...but once it is recognized as legit, landmark will claim to use it.

Just my $.02

Regards,

Markus

Elena I want to send you a PM
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 08, 2007 01:00AM

Elena I want to send you a PM, but your 'sent' file is full so Ive not been able to
do it.

Corboy

Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.