Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Definition of LGAT
Posted by: bigdog ()
Date: September 15, 2007 08:52PM

I've been perusing this forum looking for a clear definition of what LGAT actually is. Can soneone direct me to a thread that explains it? I've never heard of at least half of the organizations mentioned here. I've been reading about the psychosis experienced by certain followers, but still don't clearly understand what you are talking about.

Perhaps the moderator/forum owner could post a sticky at the top of each forum with a definition of what each means?

Options: ReplyQuote
Definition of LGAT
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: September 15, 2007 09:02PM

Definition of LGAT
Date: September 15, 2007 09:20PM

rrmoderator, thank you for your quick response to my question.

However , the link posted was a specific description of some kind of training called "Vitality" that I have never heard of. Although it no doubt provides an example of LGAT, it still does not give me a generic clear and concise definition of what the term LGAT refers to.

From what I have read here in vairous threads, I have begun to form my own definition of what others think it is:

[b:2f55fbe0ad]Large Group Awareness Training is a type of brainwashing method employed by certain organizations in order to make a profit. [/b:2f55fbe0ad]

Is that correct? Is there more? Less?

I am the type of person who needs information before applying a label to anything.

Definition of LGAT
Posted by: SaneAgain ()
Date: September 16, 2007 03:58AM

Hi bigdog

[b:8d4af57415]Large Group Awareness Training is a type of brainwashing method employed by certain organizations in order to make a profit. [/b:8d4af57415]

Is that correct? Is there more? Less?

You could add:
Large Group Awareness Training is a type of brainwashing method sold by certain organizations, [b:8d4af57415]under the guise of 'personal growth' [/b:8d4af57415]in order to make a profit.

Most lgats are derived from est (Erhard Seminars Training) and Mind Dynamics eg Landmark, Lifespring, Discovery, Choices, Impact, Quest and PSI Seminars. The jargon, concepts and "processes" (brainwashing techniques) are basically the same for all these groups. The basic structure of the courses is to "break people down and build them up again". The Mankind Project is also based on the same concepts and structure, except that its specifically for developing "manhood" and has some extras thrown in. THe "processes" used are intense and risky psychological processes and the "trainers" are usually not qualified psychologists, psychiatrists, or therapists.

The other lgats (eg Sedona Method) are based on slightly different techniques, eg meditation and emotional-release, but not with the same est-like structure.

Lgat is a generic term for any type of training that takes place in groups and is aimed at (or sold as) some kind of personal development. Based on this definition not all lgats are bad; this forum is for lgats that have been found to be harmful.

What is your interest, bigdog?

These links may explain a bit more. "Mass marathon training" is another word for lgats, usually the est-derivative type.

[www.culteducation.com]
[www.culteducation.com]

- Sane

Definition of LGAT
Date: September 16, 2007 10:29PM

WOW, Sane!

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.

My interest is purely intellectual. I had been reading some of the Abraham-Hicks stuff and came across this website by accident. Please understand that I'm not an "Abie" or "Hicky" or whatever the group is referred to as. I'm basically a loner and an independent thinker so I've never been attracted to groups of any kind.

While perusing this website, I found threads about some groups that I am familiar with, but have never even heard of most of the LGAT organizations. That is why I wanted to begin my study with a definition.

I have found some pretty far out things posted about subjects that I AM familiar with. Some of it is valid, but some of it is just downright untrue. Generally speaking, I think that any group with any set philosophy can be taken into absurdly extreme realms by people with psychological problems. That is the responsibility of the individual, not the group.

My observation as an objective outsider is that some of the people here have taken the anti-cult thing into their own "cult" status. A cult of anti-cult people......how strange is that?

Anyway, I found the LGAT forum to be very interesting because it is a subject that is relatively new to me. Again, thank you for the input. I will resume reading.

Definition of LGAT
Posted by: joe6 ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:34AM

> Generally speaking, I think that any group with any set philosophy can be taken into absurdly extreme realms by people with psychological problems. That is the responsibility of the individual, not the group.

While you are here pursuing your purely intellectual interests among people whose lives have been ruined by LGATs, you might want to try to form a definition of "apologist".

Definition of LGAT
Posted by: Vic-Luc ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:53AM

joe6
>
While you are here pursuing your purely intellectual interests among people whose lives have been ruined by LGATs, you might want to try to form a definition of "apologist".

Oh Snap! He's right, though, Joe. I was an apologist for a while without even participating. I thought I was being supportive, but I was making excuses for LE. It caused a lot of cognitive dissonance. Why would I take up for a for-profit corporation that trains laypeople to use techniques in order to gain insight that...that I'd never ever use with the people I conduct counseling with. Didn't matter the severity of their difficulties...I wouldn't do it because it would cause damage and be unethical even outside of therapy. And my fiancee at the time was pledging it to be her life's work.

Without question.

She was an apologist and when they finally gave her a hard copy of the Havard Business School study and a script for frequently asked controversial questions...I knew she'd given up her critical thinking.

In retrospect, she referred to her first Forum coach in so much revervence...I didn't know how a stranger could achieve such an unquestionable status ("Coach says..., Well in this case Coach says...). Should've known then.

Yeah, research that apologist definition Joe. You seem to have ulterior motives for being here, but I digress.

Definition of LGAT
Posted by: Vic-Luc ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:55AM

Vic-Luc
joe6
>

Oh Snap! He's right, though, Joe. I was an apologist for a while without even participating. I thought I was being supportive, but I was making excuses for LE. It caused a lot of cognitive dissonance. Why would I take up for a for-profit corporation that trains laypeople to use techniques in order to gain insight that...that I'd never ever use with the people I conduct counseling with. Didn't matter the severity of their difficulties...I wouldn't do it because it would cause damage and be unethical even outside of therapy. And my fiancee at the time was pledging it to be her life's work.

Without question.

She was an apologist and when they finally gave her a hard copy of the Havard Business School study and a script for frequently asked controversial questions...I knew she'd given up her critical thinking.

In retrospect, she referred to her first Forum coach in so much revervence...I didn't know how a stranger could achieve such an unquestionable status ("Coach says..., Well in this case Coach says...). Should've known then.

Yeah, research that apologist definition Joe. You seem to have ulterior motives for being here, but I digress.

Didn't mean that to Joe6. All was directed at "Bigdog," all apologies, man.

Definition of LGAT
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: September 17, 2007 09:53AM

bigdog
My observation as an objective outsider is that some of the people here have taken the anti-cult thing into their own "cult" status. A cult of anti-cult people......how strange is that?

I think you also need to define 'cult'.

A cult of anti-cult people? Please, give us a break!

First thing you should asked, especially considering you are a loner and independant thinker, is where is our cult leader?

And, just as importantly, what demands are there on our contribution to this so-called 'cult'?

It gave me a laugh, though, bigdog!
:lol: :lol:

Definition of LGAT
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: September 17, 2007 10:01AM

"bigdog"
While perusing this website, I found threads about some groups that I am familiar with, but have never even heard of most of the LGAT organizations. That is why I wanted to begin my study with a definition.

I have found some pretty far out things posted about subjects that I AM familiar with. Some of it is valid, but some of it is just downright untrue. Generally speaking, [b:432df717dc]I think that any group with any set philosophy can be taken into absurdly extreme realms by people with psychological problems[/b:432df717dc]. That is the responsibility of the individual, not the group.

Of course individuals have responsibility, but organisations like Landmark are consistently rotten. One analogy is that the walls of Landmark are lined with asbestos because of the consistent symptoms of many of the victims. In fact, the damage done by Landmark is so consistent that a toxic material like asbestos couldn't keep up so consistently!

The reason I use this analogy is because the individual has only one option and that is to leave. Get out. And, perhaps, seek professional help. Real professional help!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.