Current Page: 35 of 45
Re: The Secret (a movie)
Posted by: shakti ()
Date: January 24, 2008 01:52AM

midwest.momma

I will just say that I am disappointed that these women at this center, who are vulnerable (as I was, and am), are being subjected to this nonsense. They will blame themselves for their circumstances, and not realize that they can only control themselves, and not others' actions.

Not off-topic at all! Oprah, while I have to commend her for some of the things she has done, has done much to harm the minds of millions of people, mostly women. Along with Larry King, NOBODY has done more to promote LGATs, "cult movies" like the Secret, Ramtha, and a countless number of other shysters and new age frauds. Her and Larry are the first place that the Gods of the Self-Help Industrial Complex go to when needing to promote a book, film or other project. Their totally non-critical, non-skeptical approach to every "Create Your Own Reality" guest is appalling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: January 24, 2008 09:30AM

Yup! A Life Coach has weasled her way into the center. See below...

THE JOY OF MONEY - Introductory Seminar
Tuesday, Feb. 5th 5:45 pm - 6:45 pm

Being financially successful takes a lot more than earning a paycheck. You can stop worrying about money and start attracting more of it by attending this interactive, informative and dynamic program. In this workshop, you’ll explore ways to establish a healthy relationship with money, learn how to create your wealth from the inside out, and discover key secrets for increasing your net worth. By becoming financially empowered, you’ll also gain higher self-esteem and self-worth, more happiness and less stress, and an overall better quality of life. Presented by Robin Gardner, Certified Empowerment Coach and President of Phoenix Life Coaching, featured guest speaker on the radio talk show Money Matters, and published author. $FREE

THE SECRET
Video Screening, Tuesday, March 11, 6:00 pm -7:30 pm

Join us for a special group screening of The Secret, a film that has been viewed by millions around the world. The Secret uncovers a common truth that lay at the core of the most powerful philosophies, teachings and religions in the world–the practice of joy and gratitude as a way of life. The Secret explains with simplicity the law that is governing all lives, and offers the knowledge of how to create—intentionally and effortlessly—a joyful life. Without exception, every human being has the ability to transform any weakness or suffering into strength, power, perfect peace, health, and abundance. This is The Secret to everything—the Secret to unlimited happiness, love, health, and prosperity. (excerpt from thesecret.tv) Everyone is invited but space is limited. Please R.s.v.p. to reserve your seat. $FREE

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: January 24, 2008 12:03PM

These self-righteous cons always use the same old trick.

They set up a FREE seminar, just to PROSPECT for clients.

What they will do in order to "help" the clients, is have them fill out a Net Worth and Asset/Liability form, to see if you happen to have any money, or a credit card.
Then they sort the few out who have some credit left, and they squeeze them for whatever they can get through "life coaching".

Its too bad that some legit personal finance people couldn't come in, and help people manage their finances.
But instead, you get these self-righteous New Age salespeople, who are doing the exact opposite.
Giving bad advice, and charging a fortune for it.
What a deal, horrible financial advice at 10x the price.

"Someone" could get them to post information for people to NOT reveal their financial information to seminar leaders, under privacy laws.
That would ruin their entire plan, as they plan is to PROSPECT for clients.

What financial credentials does Robin Gardner have?
Probably ZERO.

Date: January 25, 2008 12:26AM

[www.resolutionsplus.com]

Looks like zero credentials - note there is no other university or accredited learning institution mentioned in her bio.

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: January 25, 2008 12:26PM

"Without exception, every human being has the ability to transform any weakness or suffering into strength, power, perfect peace, health, and abundance. This is The Secret to everything—the Secret to unlimited happiness, love, health, and prosperity. (excerpt from thesecret.tv)"

SUCH COMPLETE CRAP. I feel like gagging and throwing up when I read this crap.

Date: January 26, 2008 03:08AM

Another unfunny thing about these so-called Secret New Age Financial Life Coaches...if you look into them, about 50% of them are in bankruptcy. Literally. There is case after case of people teaching and selling this crap, and someone looks into them, and find they are either broke, or in debt for hundreds of thousands, or bankrupt, or recently bankrupt.
Why is this?

Its just like Rhonda Byrne. (Rhonda Byrne put together The Secret juggernaut).
Her company was going bankrupt, and she was DESPERATE.
So she used her Advertising know-how, put together some Advertising + Human Credulity, to try to make some quick cash.

She advertised just like a Lottery. Lottery commericals tell you, you are going to get rich instantly, have Love, Cars, Homes, etc, just like The Secret says. And the lotteries know humans are naive, and everyone thinks THEY are going to win, when in reality, you have better chances of getting hit by lightning, than winning the loto megaprize.

Rhonda Byrne knew this from her advertising work, so she exploited it, got lucky, and made some money.

So let us all use The Secret Magic now, and Visualize Rhonda Byrne going a bit Manic, and starting to believe her own Advertising, and trying to become the White-Oprah from Oz, and losing all her Secret money on ill-conceived media projects!
:-)
We can hope, can't we?

Date: January 26, 2008 04:26AM

After thanking me for my input on their programming, the women's agency sent me this reply....

We try to provide workshops and other programs that might stimulate individuals to make positive changes in their lives. I do not share your view that these two programs may be "harmful to people who are vulnerable and struggling". In providing these workshops we are trying to provide information that might be of interest to people who choose to attend. It is in no way an endorsement of their philosophies by our organization. Attendees will take away with them new information that they can choose to use or not use.

Also, although our clients that we serve on a daily basis are, in many ways, vulnerable and struggling, they are not the typical attendee at our evening workshops. People who attend are more apt to be contributors to our organization and those who have read about it in the newpaper.

In any case, our programs are well monitored to insure that self-promotion or financial gain of an individual or business is not the motive.

Date: January 26, 2008 05:52AM

I find that a strangely worded response, maybe due to the politics of the situation?

First, she says the programs are not harmful, and they are helpful to people. But they do not endorse them. And they are meant to help their clients, but their clients don't attend, but people off the street attend? And they do not endorse them, but they are the ones bringing them in?

It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Its possible that whoever books these programs is a True Believer, and just wants to slip them in.

A way to dig deeper might be to ask for the CREDENTIALS of the people conducting these programs.
Are they licensed and registered by the state?
Are they going to be held accountable?
Is the person doing the seminar going to walk away with the personal financial data of the people in the class?

Hope
After thanking me for my input on their programming, the women's agency sent me this reply....

We try to provide workshops and other programs that might stimulate individuals to make positive changes in their lives. I do not share your view that these two programs may be "harmful to people who are vulnerable and struggling". In providing these workshops we are trying to provide information that might be of interest to people who choose to attend. It is in no way an endorsement of their philosophies by our organization. Attendees will take away with them new information that they can choose to use or not use.

Also, although our clients that we serve on a daily basis are, in many ways, vulnerable and struggling, they are not the typical attendee at our evening workshops. People who attend are more apt to be contributors to our organization and those who have read about it in the newpaper.

In any case, our programs are well monitored to insure that self-promotion or financial gain of an individual or business is not the motive.

Date: January 26, 2008 05:58AM

I did ask about Robin Gardner's credentials but that wasn't addressed in the agency's reply. I was a bit confused at the reply also - if it is free, presumably because the clients cannot afford to pay to view, then they are indeed building the Rolodex for the coach, no?

Posted by: DownToEarth ()
Date: May 02, 2008 01:52AM

Take a look at this--trouble in 'Secret' paradise...

[shambook.blogspot.com]

"Cosmic Connie" of Whirled Musings is also blogging about this.

[cosmicconnie.blogspot.com]

Stay tuned...

Current Page: 35 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.