Current Page: 3 of 4
Landmark Forum vocabulary
Date: February 01, 2007 12:34AM

ON2 LF
Be careful in dealing with your boss. She is driving with landmarkian goggles covering her eyes, nothing appears to her as it does to you, and the notion of being fair or courteous will not apply...don't expect to be treated professionally in the earthly sense of 'professional'
....and remember that snakes leave true landmarkians alone out of professional courtesy...Is your boss a true landmarkian?

Yes, I am trying to be very careful with her. Can you tell me, what do you classify as a true landmarkian?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: February 01, 2007 09:36AM

Can you tell me, what do you classify as a true landmarkian?

My personal classification of a 'true landmarkian' is one who has allowed such a huge part of their conscience to be shut down, devalued, or silenced that they no longer care who they use, manipulate, or walk on to reach the goals they have set for themselves in accordance with landmarkian doctrines and measures of success.
These standards and expectations are typically materialistic, egocentric, and unrealistically ambitious. Basically, a true landmarkian would sell out their grandmother to get what they want for themselves personally, and even more so for the demands landmark places on them.
The non-real landmarkian will sooner or later begin to feel remorse and disgust for selling out their grandmother, and themselves.

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: February 01, 2007 11:42AM

My personal classification of a 'true landmarkian' is one who has allowed such a huge part of their conscience to be shut down, devalued, or silenced that they no longer care who they use, manipulate, or walk on to reach the goals they have set for themselves in accordance with landmarkian doctrines and measures of success.
These standards and expectations are typically materialistic, egocentric, and unrealistically ambitious. Basically, a true landmarkian would sell out their grandmother to get what they want for themselves personally, and even more so for the demands landmark places on them.
The non-real landmarkian will sooner or later begin to feel remorse and disgust for selling out their grandmother, and themselves.

You're also describing many in the corporate world. I'm thinking Gecko from the movie, Wall Street. No wonder Landmark is so successful - they've found the materialistic obsession our CULTure holds so dear and gives it a mighty push forward.

Sad, really.

Jack, I think the word "commit" through up a flag for me because I never heard her speak that way before. I don't want to leap to conclusions, that won't help anything, but I don't want to be naive, either. Sometimes it seems like I'm walking a very fine line these days with her. I also think she may be frustrated at this point because every recent attempt to get staff to attend an introductory meeting has failed. I have to leave for work soon, so I can't get into my conversation with her about it earlier this month. Later, I will give a description. I'd like to get everyone's take on it, and my response.

Changes in behaviour are good indicators. I think as ON2 LF suggests, the change in behaviour will be strongly goal oriented. There's no denying that a large part of our way of life is ME, ME, ME and organisations like Landmark justify this even further. I believe there's a kind of morbid hope that sooner or later these individuals will explode like over-inflated balloons! :!:

Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: February 01, 2007 12:25PM

these people are having more melt downs than they are exploding but they still somehow trust that the 'easy come, easy go' type of lifestyles offered by mass media and leeches like landmark, are really [b:b0a09e5acb]real[/b:b0a09e5acb] and are really going to open up as magically as a combination lock does.
In its most basic model, landmark sells a combination lock to its customers and begins a never ending training on how to get that combination lock to open. The activities involved in the endless training are never questioned as long as that combination feels like it may open any second....
how do you confuse a landamarkian? Tell them to find a corner in a round room... 8)

Re: Landmark Forum vocabulary
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 02, 2020 09:31PM

Another specimen of Landmark jargon "Too confronted"

In response to Gloria~

"They made me feel bad for being disturbed by their seminar."

Yes, they will say that you are "too confronted" and can't handle it, or that you don't want to face your "stuff." In reality, we are not willing to accept their abuse, but they try to keep you in the program by making you feel like a coward if you leave.

Re: Landmark Forum vocabulary - "Too confronted"
Date: March 02, 2020 09:35PM

In response to Gloria~

"They made me feel bad for being disturbed by their seminar."

Yes, they will say that you are "too confronted" and can't handle it, or that you don't want to face your "stuff." In reality, we are not willing to accept their abuse, but they try to keep you in the program by making you feel like a coward if you leave.

Landmark Education Jargon list from a CEI message board participant

[forum.culteducation.com]

Landmark Vocabulary List from Wikiversity

[en.wikiversity.org]

Re: Landmark Forum vocabulary - "Too confronted"
Posted by: kdag ()
Date: March 03, 2020 08:26AM

corboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In response to Gloria~
>
> "They made me feel bad for being disturbed by
> their seminar."

Yes, corboy, I believe that what followed was one of my replies, ("Yes, they will say that you are "too confronted" and can't handle it, ...").

To elaborate a little further, the implication is that the participant is not honest enough to face him/herself, or to admit their own flaws either to themself or others. Another "possibility" for interpretation is that the participant has reacted to "new" information or interpretations of reality, and is too close-minded to even consider it. And here, I will digress, a little:

I was very open-minded - willing to listen to just about any point of view. But, when i am presented with the argument that a five-year-old who has been molested cannot be considered a "victim," i can very quickly reject it. Landmark adherents state that they only want you to be open-minded and listen, but in reality, they want acceptance of all they present. No matter how many times they repeat "This is not the truth," they will push it as such until you behave as if it is.

I didn't - and i said so. That's how I got into trouble.

Back to the original point: this is just another example of their projection, or "flipping the script." They accuse the participants of being dishonest or manipulative, when everything they do is infused with dishonesty, manipulation. and inauthenticity.

As is so often the case, there may be a grain of truth for them to latch onto. They use our minor inauthenticities against us, and exploit them to no end:

You went to an introduction; invited by a friend. Your friend was obviously very invested that you got something out of it, so you say that you did, (even if you felt that you wasted your time). It's inauthentic, but we all do that. We are trained socially from a very young age. They know that we will do that, and that becomes the first hook...

Yes, I was inauthentic; "Well, yeah, sure, i can see how this has great value, blah, blah, blah..." But you have to look at intent. It was my intent to not hurt my friend's feelings. It was important to her. My inauthenticity was relatively benign.

Contrast that with the intent of Landmark. From where i sit, it appears that all they want is to talk people out of their mental health and psychological sovereignty, (not to mention their money, if they have any). That so-called "popping" is nothing but the breaking of your will. It's nothing new. I'm sure it's been happening in POW camps all over the world since the beginning of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2020 08:44AM by kdag.

Scientology Jargon - any similarity to LECSpeak?
Date: April 18, 2023 11:02PM

How a recovering former Scientologist behaved as a manager. Sounds kinda like Landmark, eh?

Abigail’s fall from Scientology was long and difficult. When she got a job at her mom’s secular healthcare company, she used Hubbard’s business principles to whip the employees into shape, banning water-cooler chat, instating a uniform policy and riding people to keep their productivity “stats” up. Unsurprisingly, she made few friends, and her efforts didn’t work.

In her relationships, things weren’t much better. Believing the Scientology notion that all miscommunication is based on some sort of transgression, she’d try to resolve fights by getting boyfriends to confess their sins to her. Meanwhile, Abigail was beginning to wonder if Scientology

Quoted from:

Children of Scientology - Rolling Stone

[getpocket.com]

banky _ irrational
chargey - negative energy
griefy - sadness

They’re irrational, or “banky.” They’re putting off bad vibes, or being “downtone.” They’re full of negative energy, or “chargey,” and they won’t contain it — they won’t “get their TRs in.”

Tone Scale
Downtone
Total Failure
Serenity of Beingness
theta - life force energy
TR Training Routines (aka drills)
Making it Go Right

Gordon was never taught how to be a kid. Instead, she was expected to be what Scientologists like to call an “adult in a small body,” taking care of herself, by herself, and repressing the fear, grief and loneliness that came with that."

Her experience is a common one. And, according to many of the ex-Scientologists I spoke with at Gordon’s gathering, it’s not just prevalent — it’s baked into the religion in something known as the emotional tone scale. The scale was developed by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, who created it in order to gauge a person’s life-force energy, or theta.

The current scale goes from -40, or Total Failure, to 40, Serenity of Beingness, ranking emotions from grief and anxiety to cheerfulness and enthusiasm. Emotions on the low end of the scale aren’t just discouraged — they’re signs of bad theta, which must be converted to good theta so a person can progress spiritually.

According to the members I spoke with, the tone scale became the basis for punishing emotions that the church deemed negative, and Scientology’s mission became almost indistinguishable from the project of repressing “bad” emotions. The solution to coping with these bad moods wasn’t to express or acknowledge them, the Second Gens explain. The solution was to go through a series of communication drills, or Training Routines, some of which critics say are designed to leave believers in a state of hypnotic calm—and then to keep the effects of those TRs in, or contain them. The result? A generation of children who grew up numb, unable to feel or even recognize basic emotions.

“All the other moms are always telling me how proactive I am. But that’s just a coping mechanism. I’m just making it go right,” she says, using the Scientology phrase for taking charge of a bad situation.

Whenever she got sad, or “griefy,” she followed church protocol and did Training Routines. According to the church, the exercises are “drills” to improve communication skills. In one, Silverman explains, two people are supposed to face each other for hours without moving or reacting. In another, she says, a person attempts to sit, calmly, while their partner yells things at them to make them react. According to Silverman, their purpose isn’t to create calm auditors or clear communicators. The goal of some TRs is to “exteriorize,” to have the soul leave the body and watch it from the outside. “And what is that?” she asks. “That’s dissociation. That’s building the muscle to dissociate at will.”

Loading the Language

..the more people talk about Scientology, the more they talk in Scientologese, sentences stuffed with acronyms and corporate-sounding inspirational phrases. However much they might dislike Scientology, its jargon is their native tongue. Some even say it’s a relief to talk without code-switching, or worrying that they’re talking gibberish.

There’s a reason why the language is so central to the belief system, and so hard to shake. According to psychiatrist and thought-reform expert Robert Jay Lifton, new lexicons are common in cults — and often essential. He calls the practice “loading the language,” and includes it as one of eight core features of high-demand groups.

When the group breaks to smoke, I ask Shelton for a second opinion. Forget the question of emotional repression for a second. If there are words for these feelings already, why not use them?

“It makes us feel special and unique,” he jokes. “If we used regular English words, then anyone could do this!” But he agrees with Lifton’s idea of cult idioms as thought-terminating cliches. “It gets people thinking in the cult leader’s system,” he says. “It literally makes it harder to think outside the box.”

"Jargon Like That Rewires the Brain"

Dr. Matthews agrees, pointing out that many high-demand groups have jargon around emotional repression. Some fundamentalist Christian cults use the phrase “keep sweet,” she says, meaning “stop whining, stop complaining.” She adds, “Jargon like that rewires the brain.”

Posted by: Fabgonzo ()
Date: April 19, 2023 09:21AM

From my experience with Landmark, attending their courses and how they had a negative impact on my life, Landmark is very subtle malevolent. They have a bit of evil in them. Anything positive that people get from Landmark, they take credit for it. And any negative experiences (they had many), they will say it’s the participants fault 100%. In other words, they can do NO WRONG. this is how cults or authoritatians behave. Also at the end of the day they contradict themselves. I’ve caught a forum leader call my dad. “Chicken”, for not joining landmark and paying in full, and then I stood up for my dad and the forum leader told me “you’re not being student minded”. Total brainwash and manipulation. Again, they have evil in them.

Posted by: ellenaaa ()
Date: April 22, 2023 08:37AM

I can't believe this scientology-derived whack-a-doodle cult is still in business. Anything they "offer" or pretend to make "possible," believe me, you will reap the opposite. Your relationships will stink, your friends will flee when they see you coming, your "success" will founder, and, guess what their answer is? You need more and more Landmark. I am appalled that they are still fooling people with their nonsense.

Ellen

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.