I was on a high that took three months to get off. That initital
high was enough for me to sign up for the advanced course and
the ILP. So I was sucked in while being on an emotional roller
coaster. No one asked if I was OK. In my opinion I wasn't
responsible for my actions during that high. I thought that
Landmark was the key to everything. I guess that is how
it is designed. Put the bait out and make sure the person
takes the bait without thinking. Use the MAKE A CHOICE FROM
NOTHING (a distinction from the Forum) comes in very handy.
It really is a pretty nasty trick they play on you but since
that distinction comes during the first course it can be played
on you for all subsequent courses.

Then of course another distinction INTEGRITY comes in handy if you
find yourseld having signed up for too much. INTEGRITY meaning that
you should stick to what you have said, not matter what.
So you can't back out. If you do so it would mean in Landmark world
that your life would start to deteriorate.
-Clever!

nettie

Options: ReplyQuote
How you get entangled in the Landmark world
Posted by: Humanista ()
Date: December 24, 2006 10:03AM

When my husband went to the first regional meeting of ILP, halfway through he called me and said he was stronlgly considering quitting and coming home, it was just so weird in some ways and he was tired, didn't see the point of some of the thigns they made them do.
But after he expressed his concerns to the others, and his coach, apparently they worked on him and made him feel obligated..in fact, he regained his enthusiasm for it and not only finished the weekend, went back for another one!
When he was discouraged, I had real hope, but then they got their claws back in him. IT's apparent that NOTHING takaes precedent over his daily calls and 3 times a week practices and meetings.
But--he's only recruited one person--he got one of his emplyees to sign up. NO one else is interested and I think he's running out of people to approach.

Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: December 24, 2006 02:18PM

Humanista
When my husband went to the first regional meeting of ILP, halfway through he called me and said he was stronlgly considering quitting and coming home, it was just so weird in some ways and he was tired, didn't see the point of some of the thigns they made them do.
But after he expressed his concerns to the others, and his coach, apparently they worked on him and made him feel obligated..in fact, he regained his enthusiasm for it and not only finished the weekend, went back for another one!
When he was discouraged, I had real hope, but then they got their claws back in him. IT's apparent that NOTHING takaes precedent over his daily calls and 3 times a week practices and meetings.
But--he's only recruited one person--he got one of his emplyees to sign up. NO one else is interested and I think he's running out of people to approach.

Here is an interesting blog post by someone about how they got involved with Landmark. Looks like when they enrolled, the person was initially suicidal:
[ramblingsofastarvingsoul.blogspot.com]

I've spent most of my life wanting to die. I don't say that with dramatic flair, just as fact. I've even hurt myself a few times, once or twice in an attempt to take my own life. I've always thought if someone really wanted to kill themselves they would succeed, those are the people who slit their wrist or jump off a bridge or shoot themselves. I didn't do any of those things, I didn't actually want to die just wanted the pain to end and I knew no other way. Life was always too much for me.

Then later, this blogger discovered Landmark:

Then in 2002 I did the Landmark Forum and for the first time I realized I was normal, everyone was fucked up! It was powerful and I left with a calm I never knew. It changed something cellular about how I saw myself and others. It gave me tools to deal with how I 'be' in the world. Landmark is about learning to create 'possibility' in your life; it's about having what you want. For the first time I actually felt 'normal' - and I started to live a 'sane' life. Suddenly I had new friends because I was able to be authentic with people and people liked that! The quality of my life and my daughter's life improved 1000 fold. It was a miracle. And it lasted for almost 6 months.

See the problem is we really are just machines run by our subconscious programming. As soon as something showed up that triggered my old routines all my old feelings came back, the angst, the confusion, and I realized while I had some new 'tools' I didn't have the answer that I was seeking. I went back to Landmark, class after class, I learned to put on that Landmark 'face' that all is well and I am supremely confident and capable, but inside I was still the same old me.

I keep wondering how it is that Landmark lets individuals with serious mental/emotional/medical problems through to pay for their coursework, and then claims that they have a "screening process" ? Does it not seem to y'all that they are practicing medicine/mental therapy/psychological counseling/hypnosis without a license?

Posted by: kialn ()
Date: December 25, 2006 01:01AM

ajinajan
Humanista

Here is an interesting blog post by someone about how they got involved with Landmark. Looks like when they enrolled, the person was initially suicidal:

I've spent most of my life wanting to die. I don't say that with dramatic flair, just as fact. I've even hurt myself a few times, once or twice in an attempt to take my own life. I've always thought if someone really wanted to kill themselves they would succeed, those are the people who slit their wrist or jump off a bridge or shoot themselves. I didn't do any of those things, I didn't actually want to die just wanted the pain to end and I knew no other way. Life was always too much for me.

Then later, this blogger discovered Landmark:

Then in 2002 I did the Landmark Forum and for the first time I realized I was normal, everyone was fucked up! It was powerful and I left with a calm I never knew. It changed something cellular about how I saw myself and others. It gave me tools to deal with how I 'be' in the world. Landmark is about learning to create 'possibility' in your life; it's about having what you want. For the first time I actually felt 'normal' - and I started to live a 'sane' life. Suddenly I had new friends because I was able to be authentic with people and people liked that! The quality of my life and my daughter's life improved 1000 fold. It was a miracle. And it lasted for almost 6 months.

See the problem is we really are just machines run by our subconscious programming. As soon as something showed up that triggered my old routines all my old feelings came back, the angst, the confusion, and I realized while I had some new 'tools' I didn't have the answer that I was seeking. I went back to Landmark, class after class, I learned to put on that Landmark 'face' that all is well and I am supremely confident and capable, but inside I was still the same old me.

I keep wondering how it is that Landmark lets individuals with serious mental/emotional/medical problems through to pay for their coursework, and then claims that they have a "screening process" ? Does it not seem to y'all that they are practicing medicine/mental therapy/psychological counseling/hypnosis without a license?

Wow - you guys are really searching for evidence! I was surprised that you came across my blog within the same day I posted. You made an incorrect assumption however, I wasn't suicidal when I signed up for Landmark or at any time during my involvement. Screwed up, yes, like most, but no different at that time then anyone else. I have a lot of negative opinions about Landmark, many of them mirrored in these postings. I would appreciate it if you would remove the link to my blog, if you want to keep my quotes thats fine, but please do remove the link. Thanks.

Posted by: Excalibur ()
Date: December 27, 2006 06:04AM

nettie
I was involved with Landmark for 4 years. In the beginning
I was on a high that took three months to get off. That initital
high was enough for me to sign up for the advanced course and
the ILP. So I was sucked in while being on an emotional roller
coaster. No one asked if I was OK. In my opinion I wasn't
responsible for my actions during that high. I thought that
Landmark was the key to everything. I guess that is how
it is designed. Put the bait out and make sure the person
takes the bait without thinking. Use the MAKE A CHOICE FROM
NOTHING (a distinction from the Forum) comes in very handy.
It really is a pretty nasty trick they play on you but since
that distinction comes during the first course it can be played
on you for all subsequent courses.

Then of course another distinction INTEGRITY comes in handy if you
find yourseld having signed up for too much. INTEGRITY meaning that
you should stick to what you have said, not matter what.
So you can't back out. If you do so it would mean in Landmark world
that your life would start to deteriorate.
-Clever!

nettie

Sickening nettie. That's the only descriptive I can come up with. What's even more sickening is that it works.

But you do a commendable public service as an ex-Landmarkian by sharing your experiences with the world. Hopefully more and more people will visit this website before they get themselves mixed up with this dangerous group.

Thank goodness for the internet!

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: December 28, 2006 04:49AM

kialn

I would appreciate it if you would remove the link to my blog, if you want to keep my quotes thats fine, but please do remove the link. Thanks.

Is there a legal reason the link should be removed?

If not, it is a 'valuable' resource for our work here.

Some of us don't leave any stones unturned...and this is the Internet, after all (many eyes on the same page).

Posted by: concernedfriend ()
Date: December 28, 2006 10:39PM

kialn
I would appreciate it if you would remove the link to my blog, if you want to keep my quotes thats fine, but please do remove the link. Thanks.

If you don't want anyone to link to your blog then I suggest you remove it. The whole point of the internet is to make information freely available. Nobody gets to restrict anyone else from linking to material on the internet.

Posted by: caligari ()
Date: December 29, 2006 02:38AM

concernedfriend
kialn

If you don't want anyone to link to your blog then I suggest you remove it. The whole point of the internet is to make information freely available. Nobody gets to restrict anyone else from linking to material on the internet.

A private blog area that's password protected is also an option. One gives out the password to only they people they want to have reading the blog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.